• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hohokum |OT| Whimsical exploration, presented in Technicolor with awesome music!

thread has been more complaints about timing than actual gameplay. is everyone enjoying it? im in the 'tutorial' just ....drawing. im amazed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just in the hub area exploring about. Not super impressed yet, but I'll stick with it to plunder its secrets.

I REALLY hope there is no need to open or close ALL of the little buttons on the top half of the hub area. It's ridiculous and tedious if there is a trophy or puzzle attached. Noticed there are some runes that require tapping to unlock something at the bottom as well I guess I haven't discovered a solution for yet. One slight puzzle in the bottom right involved slowly flying into the center of four flowers which unlocked some plant that did nothing when I touched it.

I'll stick with it, but these types of games usually aren't for me though I did enjoy Flower, but disliked Journey.

taoofjord

It's no Noby Noby Boy or Flow but it's a fun little thing so far. Of course it looks and sounds great and I like its design of having you figure out how to progress but I don't care for the more abstract looking areas of the game. I think the game is at its best in worlds that feel a little grounded in some kind of reality and populated with weird characters.

nikos

Playing with the gf right now. Game is really great so far.

Does anyone know if it supports multiple save files? I feel like we should both experience it for ourselves.

ThisOne

I REALLY hope there is no need to open or close ALL of the little buttons on the top half of the hub area. It's ridiculous and tedious if there is a trophy or puzzle attached.

There is a silver trophy attached to it. It's kind of tedious but only took me about 5 or 10 minutes to do. I don't think you have to do it to progress.

Keep getting an error code every time I try playing it on the PS4. This is balls!

I was getting an error as well. I had preordered but the pre-load download gave me an error. I had to delete the download notification and restart from the store.

Game is gorgeous. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's quite the audio/visual treat.

I was getting an error as well. I had preordered but the pre-load download gave me an error. I had to delete the download notification and restart from the store.

Game is gorgeous. I have no idea what I'm doing but it's quite the audio/visual treat.

I did from both the store and the online store, and neither worked. I'll try the Vita.

megalowho

So far it's pretty much what I was expecting and hoping for, relaxing exploration through trippy scenes with a striking artistic style and neat things to interact with. Music is great and one of the highlights of the game, always appreciate dynamic soundtracks.

Some areas have puzzles and objectives, others seem more focused on cool visuals. Going to take my time figuring stuff out, seems like that's a big chunk of what the game is. Not blown away but it's definitely pleasing, will be a nice palate cleanser and end of the night game at the very least.

calder

My god, playing this after a pants-filling hour of the P.T. demo is exactly what the doctor ordered. Really enjoying it so far

darkwing

I thought I'd just spend a few minutes to check it out

when I looked at my watch, it has been an hour

downloading to my Vita, hurray for crossbuy

Gaz_RB

Hmm, bought and downloaded it... it says " Cannot Start Application"

Any tips? PS4 btw. Gonna dl on vita and see if that works.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hmm, bought and downloaded it... it says " Cannot Start Application"

Any tips? PS4 btw. Gonna dl on vita and see if that works.

Same. Doesn't seem to be a fix anywhere from what I can tell. People are calling up support and getting refunds.

After watching some more P.T. streams I needed to play a bit of Hohokum to calm me down. Then I got sucked into getting that
Nutpopper's Delight (fucking lol)
trophy. Played a bit more, touching stars and lighting up constellations (?). Dope music and full of whimsy; Chill.

mstevens

Oh, I guess the sound shape dlc is coming out next week.

Might get this game anyway. Don't know much about it, and from the game play video I watched it looked kinda.... uneventful? Everyone says it's great though, what do you guys think so far?

This game is so awesome! Very relaxing and I love the music and sounds, especially with headphones on. And I like being able to fly people around and take them to where they're supposed to be. I got 2 people to ride the roller coaster in one world; that was cool.

Same. Doesn't seem to be a fix anywhere from what I can tell. People are calling up support and getting refunds.

I had this problem, too. But as someone mentioned earlier, deleting it from the Download list in Notifications and re-downloading from the Store seemed to fix the problem.

Gaz_RB

Redownloaded. Still didn't work.
vbIU3Ie.gif

I had this problem, too. But as someone mentioned earlier, deleting it from the Download list in Notifications and re-downloading from the Store seemed to fix the problem.

Gonna try this.

Oh, I guess the sound shape dlc is coming out next week.

That's weird. I had it available to download pretty much as soon as I pre-ordered Hohokum along with the other titles in the PLAY promotion. I can't remember if it was through the game's interface or if I went looking for it in particular, but I definitely got it since I went through all the Beat School trials for it and nabbed their associated trophies.

Gaz_RB

Damn still can't get it to work on PS4. Don't feel like trying to get a refund, so I just hope they push out a patch soon.

Damn still can't get it to work on PS4. Don't feel like trying to get a refund, so I just hope they push out a patch soon.

Is the error simply "Cannot Start Application" or are there other indicators such as a lock symbol on the game or it mentioning something about a license being needed?

If so, you might want to try simply signing out of your PSN ID from the menu and signing back in. I did that when all of my games showed up as locked once and that sorted it. I signed out my ID, re-ran the internet connection setup to make sure I was hooked up, then turned off the PS4 and back on again, re-signed in and everything worked fine.

spekkeh

Banned
I also have the cannot start application UGGHH and I bought it from the US appstore, so Sony EU will probably not refund.

fernoca

That's weird. I had it available to download pretty much as soon as I pre-ordered Hohokum along with the other titles in the PLAY promotion. I can't remember if it was through the game's interface or if I went looking for it in particular, but I definitely got it since I went through all the Beat School trials for it and nabbed their associated trophies.
Same here. The theme and Sound Shape DLC were there right after preordering.

Nice and relaxing game..of sort. What a trip it is so far. XD

I love it. I've been obsessed enough that I've put about 7 hours into it... 139/146 eyes found. I got the end credits and seemingly opened up all the world/friends. I know one world where I'm missing one eye, I can't find for the life of me. I've solved everything there seems to be to solve, hopefully if I ever find that one eye, a new stage where I get the final 6 will open.

DirtyLarry

How does this play on the Vita compared to the console version? I'm not missing anything by playing this on a handheld right?
I played it for about 90 minutes on my PS4 last night then played about 20 minutes before bed on my Vita.
Cloud Save worked right away which was great, had some issues in the past with certain games not working right away.
It seemed pretty much identical to be honest.
So the only thing I would say is you are missing the visuals on a bigger screen, but gameplay seems to be exact. They did a great job keeping it consistent.
I will actually probably wind up playing it more on my Vita when all is said and done.

With the above said, I played it and all I know is I have 8/8 and 36 out of something according to the little guy that pops up. I am not sure what the hell I was doing the entire time but I definitely enjoyed the experience of not being sure what I was doing.

So can somehow enlighten me as to what exactly needs to be done in order to progress?

AEREC

really digging this game...nice and relaxing. Playing on vita and it seems solid aside from the lengthy initial loading screen (30+ seconds). Loading between worlds is a little long as well (5-10 seconds) but nothing too terrible.

Loading screens in general seem to be even more annoying on handhelds.

With the above said, I played it and all I know is I have 8/8 and 36 out of something according to the little guy that pops up. I am not sure what the hell I was doing the entire time but I definitely enjoyed the experience of not being sure what I was doing.

I think those are the eyes that you opened up by flying over them. 8/8 means you opened all the eyes in a particular zone, and the other number is the combined total of all eyes. Seems like it is this game's collectible.

lt519

Played this waaaaaay to late last night. I've rescued (found?) three of my buddies last night and also snagged 4 incidental trophies just through exploration.

Its a very fun game to just experiment around and see what happens, I was continually surprised by how the game could put a smile on my face. And the audio, oh so good.

I do think there was a glitch in the fair section.
I couldn't find the last mid-section of the dragon rollercoaster. When I reloaded the portal and did everything again it appeared at the ferris wheel after loading it up with people. I had done this before but never got the section.

Edit:

So can somehow enlighten me as to what exactly needs to be done in order to progress?

I think all the little friends you have during the tutorial part disperse and then you have to go find them. Each section has some sequence of events that you need to trigger to reveal your friends. If you go back to the "home" after you find them they will be orbiting their portals that you found them in. One I found was relatively straight forward but two others required a number of very specific actions.

So far I've found, but I won't tell you how exactly I got them!:
Lois(portal where the mushrooms light up), one at the kite festival, and a third at the fair (place with the rollercoaster)

any of you guys getting CE-32920-6. It won't let me download the game.

Go to the webstore.

Remove the game from your download queue.

Go to the download list

Download game.

I do think there was a glitch in the fair section.
I couldn't find the last mid-section of the dragon rollercoaster. When I reloaded the portal and did everything again it appeared at the ferris wheel after loading it up with people. I had done this before but never got the section.

That section won't appear until
you load up the Ferris wheel and spin it really hard. You might not spun it the first time around

Foshy

just started this. it's amazing.

by the way, i found another line-thingy called Lois that moved with me, but then we split on a platform (i went under it, lois went over it) and it was gone. :( can i get it back?

AEREC

What's the deal with the sound shapes dlc? Only available with preorder? Or can it be purchased based sebppurchasep

Exit: phone is screwing up my spelling and won't le TN me change it

Playing it finally, and you know the closest corollary is Botanicula from what I've played. Love this.

Possibly the best use of the controller speaker ever! When you go to new levels, music chimes in there, and if you use the touchpad, more psychedelic music that you can warp around if you touch the Long Mover's tail.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Chillax
ibz7Otan4wtDEl.jpg

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Also getting the darn error when trying to fire the game up. Just deleted it and am re downloading it now. Here's hoping it does the trick.

Top Bottom