• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hohokum |OT| Whimsical exploration, presented in Technicolor with awesome music!

With the above said, I played it and all I know is I have 8/8 and 36 out of something according to the little guy that pops up. I am not sure what the hell I was doing the entire time but I definitely enjoyed the experience of not being sure what I was doing.

So can somehow enlighten me as to what exactly needs to be done in order to progress?

Just to be clear, each main zone has a certain amount of eyes and one friend. If you pause in each zone it'll tell you how many eyes are left in that zone.Get all the friends in all stages to beat the game and see the credits. I still haven't gotten all the eyes.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man wtf! deleted, downloaded again, same fuckin error message. First time I've ever seen some shit like this on ps4.

Lan Dong Mik

Just saw a tweet from SMS saying to try fixing the issue by going to settings, PSN, then restore license. Did that, but no luck. Definitely happy to see they are working on it though.

tba

I was stuck for a long time there, too. Kinda just lucked into it. Still don't entirely understand it!
Thanks, it seems that
when "painting" with the circle pressed, the pixels do not disappear and after the certain percent of the zone is filled in, the door unlocks

I actually seem to be missing a friend between Mavis and Maude when you view the list on the main menu. Anyone have this one and know where this zone is accessed?

Lan Dong Mik

Sorry if this a dumb question but how did you guys who are playing it on the vita get it to download as a cross buy? When I go to dl it on my vita it's still saying 14.99 but I already bought it on PS4.

spekkeh

Banned
So I had the same error, I deleted it this morning and wanted to download it again this evening and now it says I don't own the game anymore, RAGE

edit: oh whew, according to the PS website it still says I bought it.

Sorry if this a dumb question but how did you guys who are playing it on the vita get it to download as a cross buy? When I go to dl it on my vita it's still saying 14.99 but I already bought it on PS4.

Go to download list, in the store.
3 dots at bottom of screen.

wouwie

From a presentation point of view, this is a lovely game. The visuals, music and sound effects are very nice and fresh. It's clear that a lot of work, passion and love has gone into the creation of this game.

From a gameplay point of view, this is definately more about experiencing and exploration than traditional gameplay. But i'm enjoying it quite a lot actually. At times, i have no clue what i'm doing or supposed to do but i assume that this is part of what the game is about (exploration and discovery).

I'm happy i bought the game in any case.

rafaelr

i´m sitting on my couch drawing figures with "snakes", thinking "this is the best thing ever!"
and i´m completely sober.
i dunno what it is (music sure is a big part) but this game is seriously awesome!

i´m sitting on my couch drawing figures with "snakes", thinking "this is the best thing ever!"
i dunno what it is (music sure is a big part) but this game is seriously awesome!

*grabs the breathalyser* Lets see how sober you are!

Off-topic, but I'm starting to get annoyed that if you're into really colourful and relaxing things, then immediate drug association. I find colours pretty to look at and stimulating, don't really need an additive for enjoyment :)

rafaelr

yeah, i guess just posting the final sentence would´ve been better.
definitely didn´t want to imply that hohokum (or any colorful/whimsical game) is "better on drugs".

Twinduct

Meant to just check it out for 10 mins before bed, ended up playing for about an hour.
Honestly love this experience so far. It reminds me of the first time I booted up flower, just such a great harmony with the visuals, the music and the control.

Still have no real clue on what to do, but not like I need any reason right now with just exploring each zone and watching the people go on about their lives.

Btw quick questions about the controls.

So X is normal speed, circle is slow down. Shoulder buttons seems to be hyper speed (short bursts gives best result) and the touchpad makes you kind of freak out (no idea yet what this does).

Missing any of the others?

Having a lot of fun with this (a great way to take breaks between Rogue Legacy sessions). The music and art style are wonderful, and everything feels very interactive.

reminder

This game is so strange, yet so fun! My favorite level so far is the one with the kite festival. So beautiful. And the soundtrack is great so far. I love it.

putermcgee

I have a couple questions for those who have played a lot:

In the area with the runes at the bottom,
I quickly got the connection with the three square-shaped ones that made the stone monster come out of the ground, but I can't figure any others out, or what else to do in that area. In the other area where you knock over the pots, a guy at the bottom possessed me and used me to draw a shape that looks like one of the runes, but I don't know what the other two are.

In the area that's just a giant group of dots,
I could swear I lit them all up, but nothing seems to be happening. Is this just some cruel joke on people with OCD?

Loved this game at TGS last year, and am loving it now that I can play without a bunch of background noise or people staring.

Gaz_RB

I could swear I lit them all up, but nothing seems to be happening. Is this just some cruel joke on people with OCD?

Are you talking about the area with the dots that light up different colors when you go over them?

From a presentation point of view, this is a lovely game. The visuals, music and sound effects are very nice and fresh. It's clear that a lot of work, passion and love has gone into the creation of this game.

From a gameplay point of view, this is definitely more about experiencing and exploration than traditional gameplay. But i'm enjoying it quite a lot actually. At times, i have no clue what i'm doing or supposed to do but i assume that this is part of what the game is about (exploration and discovery).

I'm happy i bought the game in any case.

Have you played Proteus? I would definitely recommend that to anyone that clicks with Hohokum; it's a different type of experience entirely but still retains some of those elements that you seem to enjoy about Hohokum.

Gaz_RB

Have you played Proteus? I would definitely recommend that to anyone that clicks with Hohokum; it's a different type of experience entirely but still retains some of those elements that you seem to enjoy about Hohokum.

Man, I couldn't really get into Proteus. Was there something else to it other than walking around?

putermcgee

Are you talking about the area with the dots that light up different colors when you go over them?
Yes.

Man, I couldn't really get into Proteus. Was there something else to it other than walking around?
Not that I know of. That was kind of the point of it. Just walk around and experience the world changing as time passed. one trick to it is pressing one of the buttons to sit down. That's pretty relaxing.

Derpcrawler

Didn't even know game came out, thanks for reminding Gaf.

Sxx64SV.png

Applebite

So for anyone who has played both versions, as someone who owns a Vita and is getting a PS4 around Destiny's release, is it better on either platform?

In the area with the runes at the bottom,
I quickly got the connection with the three square-shaped ones that made the stone monster come out of the ground, but I can't figure any others out, or what else to do in that area. In the other area where you knock over the pots, a guy at the bottom possessed me and used me to draw a shape that looks like one of the runes, but I don't know what the other two are.

Loved this game at TGS last year, and am loving it now that I can play without a bunch of background noise or people staring.

Ohhhh...shit! I was stuck on both the runes and the pot dude, but
the dude turns you into 3 different shapes. I bet those are the three ruins!

Edit: I'm actually correct. Wow.

Nah, it seems that a lot can play on PS4 no problem. Some people are having issues though.

yessir

Well son, this just gets sweeter and sweeter.

I wanna get it but so many peeps are plagued by errors.

Do we have a consensus on a general out of 10 type score yet?

Fuck it. Let's use a better scale:

1)UtterShite
2)ForgettablyDull
3)KindaQuirkyCoolWorthATryHomie
4)GetItOrIllPunchYouInTheDamnFaceBecauseItsSoFuckingAwesome!

SerTapTap

Okay I have 4 of 5(?) pieces of the dragon in the pretty onion dome place, what do I do? It's driving me nuts

Edit: Goddammit. It was
the grey lights. YOu're supposed to get electrocuted from the blue sparks nearby and touch all the lights. I thought thouching those were bad.

Okay I have 4 of 5(?) pieces of the dragon in the pretty onion dome place, what do I do? It's driving me nuts

Edit: Goddammit. It was
the grey lights. YOu're supposed to get electrocuted from the blue sparks nearby and touch all the lights. I thought thouching those were bad.

Same. I feel your pain. Worst level of the game, easily.

Gaz_RB

Well son, this just gets sweeter and sweeter.

I wanna get it but so many peeps are plagued by errors.

Do we have a consensus on a general out of 10 type score yet?

Fuck it. Let's use a better scale:

1)UtterShite
2)ForgettablyDull
3)KindaQuirkyCoolWorthATryHomie
4)GetItOrIllPunchYouInTheDamnFaceBecauseItsSoFuckingAwesome!

putermcgee

Go hang out with the locals and see if you can't figure out their secrets :D

One of them will jump on you and you have to help him do something.
Oh, I'm talking about a different area... I think you get to it from that one, though.
The area I'm talking about is a simple open space, and in the center is a giant circle full of different-shaped dots. In this area, the dots don't return to white after you move over them, but they sometimes change color when you go over them again. There are no locals in this area either.

Ohhhh...shit! I was stuck on both the runes and the pot dude, but
the dude turns you into 3 different shapes. I bet those are the three ruins!

Edit: I'm actually correct. Wow.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.
I could swear I was just making the same shape over and over, so maybe I did it wrong.

Gaz_RB

Oh, I'm talking about a different area... I think you get to it from that one, though.
The area I'm talking about is a simple open space, and in the center is a giant circle full of different-shaped dots. In this area, the dots don't return to white after you move over them, but they sometimes change color when you go over them again. There are no locals in this area either.

Oh yeah we are talking about different dot levels, just got to that one.

Derpcrawler

Damn, didn't check it. Was getting trophies from Sound Shapes bonus DLC. Will check and report. Didn't pre-order, just bought straight away. Russian PSN (EU PAL) store if that matters.

Just checked, could launch it to menu, but I am a bit too tired to play. What exactly is the problem?

Top Bottom