• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Hogan's nWo: Let's talk about it and remember

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was that time that the Crow/Sting was haunting the NWO from the rafters, and then i kinda lost it after that. What came of that? Was it the infamous NWO split, or was that before?

BFIB

There was that time that the Crow/Sting was haunting the NWO from the rafters, and then i kinda lost it after that. What came of that? Was it the infamous NWO split, or was that before?

Eh, that was kind of the fall of the nWo. Starrcade '97. Bischoff lost to Zybisco for the Nitro rights, the tag team titles went back to WCW, and Sting beat Hogan.

But because Hogan could never allow anyone to truly beat him clean, the title was basically "held up" for grabs, and lo and behold, Hogan gets it back. Rinse Repeat, then comes Wolfpac.

I could never agree with that. I didn't really find NWO to be cool, had little interest in most of the wrestlers involved, and what WCW I watched, it was always the NWO being way too dominant.

On the other side, DX had guys I actually cared about, they had a much younger/hipper vibe, and I think they ended up doing more interesting stuff over time.

DX was awful. It was just HBK and HHH acting as obnoxious as humanly possible and coming out in blackface. The only cool thing to come out of DX was Chyna, which probably won't garner much wrasslegaf support but her entire character was cool. She wasn't a great wrestler at all but fuck, it was a cool concept. (Except when JR goes on about how they should TREAT HER LIKE A MAN because she had the audacity to punch someone in dang wrestling show. Fuck JR.)

I don't even know what DX wanted. NWO was amazing because it was a huge story that the entire company was involved in, it was a war!

DX was..two guys coming out and doing crotch chops. cool.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Chyna was the best part of DX. Made dudes legit shook.

Eh, that was kind of the fall of the nWo. Starrcade '97. Bischoff lost to Zybisco for the Nitro rights, the tag team titles went back to WCW, and Sting beat Hogan.

But because Hogan could never allow anyone to truly beat him clean, the title was basically "held up" for grabs, and lo and behold, Hogan gets it back. Rinse Repeat, then comes Wolfpac.
Starrcade was the biggest disappointment ever to me. I was heartbroken as a kid. Starting with 96 Sting just becomes super badass and beats the entire NWO by himself for months and months and months, and the biggest match ever is booked with Sting VS Hogan and the match happens and it's...awful.

Hogan just beats up on Sting for 15 minutes. A "quick count" that was totally a regular count, so Hogan pretty much beat him up clean. Hart comes out and yells and Sting puts on the Scorpion and Hart calls for the bell. Fuck that. I didn't watch Sting be this unstoppable god for an entire year just for him to go out like that.

After that I watched WCW off and on but never really stayed into it the way I was through 95/97. I didn't really care for anyone in the WWF either unless it was Undertaker and Kane shooting lightning at each other.

But fuck it, I'll remember the good times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mW0pRIY9g

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Man, I loved all this. The WWF only got me back because of the Attitude Era. Though, I wouldn't have even known about it if my dad wasn't still watching WWF. I was a staunch WCW watcher at the time.

I remember some of this, but I was too young to understand a lot of the more subtle attacks from WCW to WWF.

enewtabie

I liked the NWO,but it was out of control with adding too many members that didn't shine. Back in the day, you had four guys and they made a point. The 4 Horsemen. They would follow Dusty Rhodes or Sam Houston to a gas station and break his arm and you had a build up. The angles are too quick now and there's no payoff.

The first vignettes were great with the black and white and bringing in the WWE guys every week. I did enjoy those.

I love Bobby Heenan so much but 'Who's side is he on?!!!" has to be the biggest blown call/giveaway in Wrestling all time. It's not even the only time he did it.

I thought the same thing too going back and watching the video. Then I started watch Monday Nitro in order along with the PPV's that happen. Bobby Heenan basically always talks trash about Hogan all the time. He continues to hate on him since Andre the Giant lost to Hogan at WM III. They don't actually say WM III but he mentions it when Hogan fights the Giant.

Watch a few of the old Nitros and PPV's on the network and you will see Heenan trash Hogan. So looking back on it Heenan was just doing what he always did.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The worst thing that ever happened to wrestling. Every monday would go like this

Nitro intro > NWO come out and talk > disco inferno/norman smiley/B rate fights>main event>NWO comes out and beats up on the good guy>spray paint his back>end of show.

This is wrong. The first hour of Nitro had fantastic cruiserweight matches that outdid anything WWF had at the time when it came to workrate.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The nWo was great, but they had no idea where to go with the angle. They were crippled by the fact that the ones dominating were mostly older wrestlers who weren't all that exciting in the ring. They'd already established the nWo's dominance by destroying a lot of their up and coming stars. Other than DDP, Goldberg, and Sting, they didn't have many believable stars. If they'd just dissolved the nWo after Goldberg beat Hogan, I think things would have gone a lot smoother. At that point, they still could have elevated Jericho as a legitimate heel and still done the DDP heel turn. WCW wasn't killed by the nWo, it was killed by Bischoff not wanting to go away from the storyline that got him bigger than the WWF to begin with.

I wish I could remember what the original plan was, but nWo was never supposed to go as long as it did. I think it was supposed to dissolve after Sting beat Hogan at Starrcade, but my memory is fuzzy on that. It is hard to turn off an angle that is bringing in so much money and attention.

I'm pretty sure I missed the height of the run live because I mostly watched WWE back I'm the day. The first time I tuned into watch wcw they were showing clips of Goldberg getting tasered and I was so confused.

Still an amazing run in hindsight.

BFIB

I wish I could remember what the original plan was, but nWo was never supposed to go as long as it did. I think it was supposed to dissolve after Sting beat Hogan at Starrcade, but my memory is fuzzy on that. It is hard to turn off an angle that is bringing in so much money and attention.

Bischoff envisioned nWo not as an angle, but as a completely new brand. He wanted them to be separate entities. When it split into "Wolfpac" and nWo B&W, it was essentially the "heel" B&W faction, and the Wolfpac "face" faction.

Revolver

I liked those PPV's they had in Sturgis. The big biker rally really went along with the nWo image. That is until freakin' Jay Leno pinned Bischoff.

The thing about the nWo angle is how WWE constantly has to remind us and attempt to recreate their own revisionist history on the Network. You can see it for yourself for $9.99 a month.

But anyway, nWo is by far the greatest angle in the history of pro wrestling (at least stateside). Its something that WWE has never even come close to, and it constantly eats at WWE. You can tell in their discussion around it "Bischoff was trying to put us out of business!" etc.

Bischoff did the one thing that no one else was able to do. He beat McMahon, and handily for 2 solid years. No one else can stake that claim, and for that, nWo Hollywood (before the Wolfpac) will always hold a special place to me. It was such a great time for wrestling, and anytime it melds into mainstream, its so much fun to be involved.

"It's me Austin. It was me all along" was better.

Anth0ny

awe son of a bitch

I personally liked Austin/McMahon more than the nWo angle, but nWo was awesome too

The Austin/McMahon angle was far better as a whole than the nWo was... but the beginning, with Hall coming in through the crowd, then Nash showing up, and HOGAN'S THE THIRD MAN... flawless.

Unfortunately, with the Internet, they'll never be able to replicate something like that.

The main bad thing about Hogan and the nWo is that he allowed him to take over and just overshadow Hall and Nash (who at the time were awesome as the Outsiders) and relegate them to the muscle/side kicks. Hogan of course held on the belt forever at this time, once again blocking Hall from a superstar push. Dude should have had the world title at least once damnit!

Sephzilla

The Austin/McMahon angle was far better as a whole than the nWo was... but the beginning, with Hall coming in through the crowd, then Nash showing up, and HOGAN'S THE THIRD MAN... flawless.

Unfortunately, with the Internet, they'll never be able to replicate something like that.

Agreed on everything

BFIB

The summer of Punk in 2011 was almost there. But WWE had to shit the bed since they can't long term book anymore and had Punk back after a week.

Omega

Banned
This is wrong only because it implies there was a time when DX was bad

DX became shit in 1999. Triple H left. You had things like Xpac and Road Dogg vs Billy Gunn and Chyna for rights to the DX name, an awful feud. Then NAO reunited, X-Pac became a heel for turning on Kane

2000 is even worse. NAO is irrelevant mainly because of the rise of the tag team division and Xpac is still around for god knows what reason. thankfully Chyna bailed out and started her solo career and had Latino Heat giving her the kayfabe D

"It's me Austin. It was me all along" was better.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but it was one of the biggest storyline letdowns I've ever seen. Everybody feared that it would end up being McMahon as the Higher Power, but we hoped that it would turn out to be something that was actually a surprise. Why build up a mystery leader behind a conspiracy against Austin when it's just the same guy that had been feuding with Austin for years already?

Yup. I remember there being genuine mystery around who might show up on RAW/Nitro next, who might be the next member of the nWo, stuff like dirt sheets and contract signings didn't seem as public as they are now where everything is all over the internet weeks ahead of time.

DMczaf

The main bad thing about Hogan and the nWo is that he allowed him to take over and just overshadow Hall and Nash (who at the time were awesome as the Outsiders) and relegate them to the muscle/side kicks. Hogan of course held on the belt forever at this time, once again blocking Hall from a superstar push. Dude should have had the world title at least once damnit!

The other bad thing was Hogan not understanding how to do a "real" promo. He was still doing Hogan promos, just as a bad guy.

Nash talked about how he and Hall noticed it right away when they were doing the nWo video packages, and Hogan was doing his "WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BROTHER!" shit.

Yup. I remember there being genuine mystery around who might show up on RAW/Nitro next, who might be the next member of the nWo, stuff like dirt sheets and contract signings didn't seem as public as they are now where everything is all over the internet weeks ahead of time.

I first read about Nash and Hall going to the WCW in the Miami Herald, which is the local paper. So it was there, just had to look for it.

I watched BatB '96 live and the moment Hogan dropped that leg on Macho Man changed everything. They played with turn with the DoD nonsense but him leaning into the Hollywood character was just too good. nWo just got too bloated too fast though. I will admit the mystery of who was jumping ship this week was pretty fun for a while but that got boring quick.

Maybe no Wolfpac (love that theme though), definitely no Elite or 2000 and keep that WWF version too while you're at it.

Didn't Hogan initially flub on the mic and call it like "The new world organization" or something like, instead of New World Order?

Hogan's heel turn and the birth of the nWo was one of the greatest moments of professional wrestling. I kick myself that I was such a biased WWF fan in the 1980s and 1990s who refused to watch Nitro. I heard about Hogans heel turn and read about it, but was so against WCW that I didn't get to enjoy it... Wish I had. I would have been legit shook.

And yes, Austin/McMahon was a better angle all told. nWo lost steam and ran dry and it seemed like WCW did not have any fresh ideas within a year of it. Austin/McMahon was long lasting pure gold, and both Mr. McMahon and Steve Austin are the same characters now that they were ~15 years ago when that feud began. It's something else. It's also incredible that the DX angle started about the same year.

He did say that, but to be honest knowing WCW, I doubt it had an official name until the Monday.

Regardless, new world organization doesn't make sense, as the idea of a "new world order" is hardly new. I've never heard of a new world organization.

Hall was probably the most over guy in the nWo for most of the run. He was too cool.

shoplifter

Stuff was still all over RSPW, but yeah, not to the degree it is today.

Omega

Banned
Didn't Hogan initially flub on the mic and call it like "The new world organization" or something like, instead of New World Order?

Hogan's heel turn and the birth of the nWo was one of the greatest moments of professional wrestling. I kick myself that I was such a biased WWF fan in the 1980s and 1990s who refused to watch Nitro. I heard about Hogans heel turn and read about it, but was so against WCW that I didn't get to enjoy it... Wish I had. I would have been legit shook.

hogan is the king of fucking up on the mic.

I dont think he's ever done a promo where he didn't mess up

and yes, Scott Hall/Razor Ramon was robbed. Dude should have been the champion in both companies.

thefro

DX was awful. It was just HBK and HHH acting as obnoxious as humanly possible and coming out in blackface. The only cool thing to come out of DX was Chyna, which probably won't garner much wrasslegaf support but her entire character was cool. She wasn't a great wrestler at all but fuck, it was a cool concept. (Except when JR goes on about how they should TREAT HER LIKE A MAN because she had the audacity to punch someone in dang wrestling show. Fuck JR.)

I don't even know what DX wanted. NWO was amazing because it was a huge story that the entire company was involved in, it was a war!

DX was fantastic for the initial run with HBK/HHH/Chyna (and Rick Rude). They did a lot of the NWO schtick and put a twist on it and Michaels/HHH were pretty funny. Of course I was a WWF mark back then and the target age for that group so my opinion may be different if I went back to rewatch it.

Obviously it was cut short due to Bret leaving, but the DX/Hart Foundation feud was pretty great while it lasted (as was the Austin v.s. DX stuff).

This is wrong. The first hour of Nitro had fantastic cruiserweight matches that outdid anything WWF had at the time when it came to workrate.

Yeah, it wasn't until Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero/Saturn jumped ship that WWF overtook WCW in the wrestling department. WWF always had much better main event matches but Nitro had overall better wrestling.

He did say that, but to be honest knowing WCW, I doubt it had an official name until the Monday.

"New World Order" was/is a political science phrase for whenever a power vaccuum is created by a collapsing/defeated power, and who is to take over. In the 1990s, the phrase was common because of the fall of the Soviet Union, the strengthening of NATO, formation of the EU, and the assertion of the United States as the lone super power.

It has also been a conspiracy phrase for decades to describe a group that clandestinely controls the world, but that's born out of that use above.

So, I'd bet Hogan was supposed to say New World Order and just flubbed. It's interesting that when WCW released the tape, they dubbed over it with "Order." As far as I know, the WWF released the original version on WWE Network, right?

Anth0ny

The summer of Punk in 2011 was almost there. But WWE had to shit the bed since they can't long term book anymore and had Punk back after a week.

Right, I was going to mention that. At the right time, a worked shoot can still have people legit shook. Summer of Punk 2011 got me back into wrestling.

Meltzer isn't reporting "CM Punk is going to shoot tonight on Raw!" However, he is reporting on contracts and who is being advertised for any given show. The Observer existed back in the 90s, but there was no Wrestling Observer podcast every week, or dozens of wrestling podcasts released every day talking about the dirt sheets, or reddit upvoting behind the scenes rumors for thousands to see... you get the picture. Today, we know the minute KENTA, Prince Devitt and Kevin Steen are going to WWE. We knew Sting and Hogan were signing a deal with WWE months before they actually showed up this year.

In other words, an invasion like Hall and Nash did in 96 just wouldn't work today. Besides the fact that WWE would have them come down from the ramp, with music and t-shirts already for sale by the end of the broadcast on their website, people are just too smart and informed about THIS BUSINESS. I don't doubt that a similar angle with, say, NXT talent could happen, and it could be a compelling story, but you'd be asking the audience to suspend their disbelief quite a bit. The best part about those early NWO segments was that shit felt REAL.

Disagree about DX. When DX did the "DX Invasion" angle going to the WCW arena, there was a real sense for me and my friends that they were going to go on air at a WCW event as WWF employees and ... do something.

The birth of the nWo is one of the top moments in professional wrestling, but I think it lost steam precisely because it was a war for the whole company. At times it seemed like everybody but Sting was in nWo, and it was exhausting... there were almost no other angles while the nWo angle persisted.

In other words, an invasion like Hall and Nash did in 96 just wouldn't work today. Besides the fact that WWE would have them come down from the ramp, with music and t-shirts already for sale by the end of the broadcast on their website, people are just too smart and informed about THIS BUSINESS. I don't doubt that a similar angle with, say, NXT talent could happen, and it could be a compelling story, but you'd be asking the audience to suspend their disbelief quite a bit. The best part about those early NWO segments was that shit felt REAL.

Completely agree... it couldn't be done today, or almost any time after WCW collapsed and WWE bought them. Too many people know about the business now and nearly every wrestling fan knows something about the business. Not only would it be marketed from the get-go today, but everybody would already know if a wrestler is under contract or not. When Hall "invaded" WCW... I legitimately had no idea. Now, of course, I was like 12 and didn't know anything, but I was really confused and thought that Hall was "invading" WCW for WWF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom