• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland: Season 3 - |Pledge Allegiance|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last two episodes have been great. Write the entire Brody family off of the show and you've got a pretty entertaining CIA thriller, Showtime.

Protag

Banned
Soooo im confused as to who the mole is.

Also, can someone explain what givadi was implying to carrie before he boarded the jet? I have an idea but am confused

Great ep. Love the spycraft stuff and locking dickbag senator in the conference room was hilarious. Quinn needs to snap out of it though and get his Jack Bauer mojo back.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Last two episodes have been great. Write the entire Brody family off of the show and you've got a pretty entertaining CIA thriller, Showtime.

Basically, yeah. If they want to salvage the show, they'll need to kill/write off Brody and his entire family and just make the show about (sane and highly competent) Carrie, Saul, Dar Adal, Fara and Quinn tracking down terrorists.

Sean

Banned
Really great episode, probably the best of the season. Loved the scene where Saul locked Senator Lockhart in the conference room. Clark Johnson's character was great too.

Only thing I didn't like was Carrie throwing up in the toilet (seemingly morning sickness from her pregnancy). I have a horrible feeling this season will end with Brody being exonerated and Carrie finding out her baby is his.

Nice episode, I'd watch this spy thriller all day.

Carrie throwing up though, are they implying that she's actually pregnant and not just getting false positives from your medication?

Basically, yeah. If they want to salvage the show, they'll need to kill/write off Brody and his entire family and just make the show about (sane and highly competent) Carrie, Saul, Dar Adal, Fara and Quinn tracking down terrorists.
Agreed.

The primary concept for Homeland was an American terrorist on US soil. That entire conceit should have died at the end of the first season and we should progressed into what these past two episodes have given us. S2 should have been dealing with the consequences of what (dead) Brody did and yes to some extent how his family was affected by his betrayal on a very limited fashion. His actions should have been the Langley bombing for S2 and the writers could have gotten far more life out of Nazir as a villain! They could still be hunting for him now.

Instead we had to put up with the whole Carrie/Brody relationship, Dana's nonsense and the rest of the Brody family just sticking around well....cause.

I don't look forward to Brody even showing back up at this point because its more focus taken off of the CIA and unraveling the mystery of the Langley bombing which frankly could have existed without the added motivation of Carrie continuing to act fucking stupid to clear Brody's name.

Really great episode, probably the best of the season. Loved the scene where Saul locked Senator Lockhart in the conference room. Clark Johnson's character was great too.

Only thing I didn't like was Carrie throwing up in the toilet (seemingly morning sickness from her pregnancy). I have a horrible feeling this season will end with Brody being exonerated and Carrie finding out her baby is his.

I really hope this doesn't happen. But yeah, her puking seems to be hinting she might be pregnant. I really want Brody to end up dead at the end of this season. And I want the rest of his family gone before next season. Writers pls.

Omzz

Agreed with the others here that the episode was better with the removal of the Brody family. Hopefully it stays that way

Quinn don't go please. You're my favorite character

I really don't get the hate for this season at all. They have really managed to pull this show back from the brink IMO.

Agreed. Tonight was fucking great. Some of the major online reviewers (like the beyond terrible TVDW at the AVClub) held their punches during the awful back half of season two and now they've tilted too far the other way to overcompensate.

Dysun

You mean Dr, Yinsen who helped Tony Stark build his Iron man prototype suit?

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some of the major online reviewers held their punches during the awful back half of season two and now they've tilted too far the other way to overcompensate.

I've noticed this too actually. I'm not in love with this season or anything, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some of the (mostly pro season 2) critics are making it out to be.

The Brodys were in this episode, there's one in Carrie's belly!

oh lord

Everything with the brody family sucks, I dont want it! kill em off please. This show is truly great without them.

Amazing episode, why can't the show be like this always?.

I don't hate Brody but I fear they are saving him for the big plot twist and it makes me nervous.

GusBus

I'm getting sick of the AV Club reviews. I know they employ different writers, yet there's this trend to frequently draw lofty comparisons to The Sopranos, and how Homeland can't measure up. I love The Sopranos, and I get how you can draw parallels or comparisons with regards to character development, but it's getting out of hand.

There's also lines like this
But it all has the feeling of a late-night bull session in the writers’ room, where everybody talks about the characters and gets really deep into what they’re feeling and forgets to let the audience in on the joke.
The level of criticism becomes too much to bear. The hyper analytical deconstruction of every character and moment on the screen has just become overbearing. No one seem's to be able to just enjoy the show for what is, measure it episode by episode, without showing off their deep and nuanced understanding of the flaws of scripted television.

Anyway, I found this to be one of the best episodes of the season. Sending Javadi back to Iran is a fascinating turn of events. I'm dying to know where they're going to take that. However, I'm not buying Dar Adal's quick turn (could he potentially be that mole we were once teased about?) after Saul's apology.

Quinn continues to deliver. The scene with the cops is fantastic, and a good bit of acting imo, on his part. Carrie pregnancy is obvs Brody, and I have no idea where they want to take that. The less we see of Brody makes me wonder more and more how he'll ever be back in the picture. Looking forward to next week.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Quinn continues to deliver. The scene with the cops is fantastic, and a good bit of acting imo, on his part. Carrie pregnancy is obvs Brody, and I have no idea where they want to take that. The less we see of Brody makes me wonder more and more how he'll ever be back in the picture. Looking forward to next week.

That's a really weird timeline if that's the case. Hasn't it been 4 months since Brody fled the country?

I don't know what the hell they're doing with this pregnancy thing.

Dennis

Banned
I know how we are all supposed to hate Brody now but honestly, the Brody tower episode was the best episode of the season so far.

Fry

I know how we are all supposed to hate Brody now but honestly, the Brody tower episode was the best episode of the season so far.
It was the best until the 5th episode aired.

But yeah, he'll probably make an appearance soon enough and I bet it'll be a good episode.

Frost_Ace

I'm getting sick of the AV Club reviews. I know they employ different writers, yet there's this trend to frequently draw lofty comparisons to The Sopranos, and how Homeland can't measure up. I love The Sopranos, and I get how you can draw parallels or comparisons with regards to character development, but it's getting out of hand.

There's also lines like this
The level of criticism becomes too much to bear. The hyper analytical deconstruction of every character and moment on the screen has just become overbearing. No one seem's to be able to just enjoy the show for what is, measure it episode by episode, without showing off their deep and nuanced understanding of the flaws of scripted television.

It's like they want to make up for last year when they defended the show to death :/

the episode was nice.

Really missing Brody. I still feel like the writers didn't want to keep him alive, but were forced to so they pushed him as far away from the story as possible. I feel bad for Damien Lewis as you are one of the main stars of a show and you are barely in an entire season. He was the reason I started watching this show as he was great in Life.

kingkitty

Interesting ep, Saul going all out. No Brody family in sight. I liked the police subplot, glad the show didn't try to make Quinn into some kind of fugitive.

As for who else was linked to the bombings..
I don't know if Brody knew. I don't know. But I do know that Brody will return. And there will be passionate Carrie-Brody love.

Wild card scenario:
The guy who gave the terrorists the key to the bomb car was Quinn, who was doing it under the orders of Adal. Who did this in an elaborate plan to gain power within the CIA. Also Carrie has Brody's baby. Dana changes her mind and returns home.

GusBus

That's a really weird timeline if that's the case. Hasn't it been 4 months since Brody fled the country?

I don't know what the hell they're doing with this pregnancy thing.

My speculation - why else would Carrie keep the baby and not get an abortion? She's a pragmatist. She knows better than anyone else that she's not equipped for a child (certainly now, possibly ever). It's only because she still has "Brody-feelings" that the pregnancy is something she's potentially considering. If it was really liquor store fuckbuddy's or anyone else's I'd be shocked.

Loki

Count of Concision
Good ep, but the idea of the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee being locked in a conference room strains credulity, even for an already over-the-top show. As for who the mole is, I'm thinking Dara Dahl (or however it's spelled).

Good ep, but the idea of the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee being locked in a conference room strains credulity, even for an already over-the-top show.

they give him such ridiculous dialogue

"you sound like you're fucking high!"

i swear he said something similar to carrie too

otherwise it was a good ep

Sean

Banned
It's obviously not Brody's baby. It's the dude she was fucking that looked like Brody. She might try to pretend it's Brody's though.

I doubt the writers would even bother with a pregnancy storyline if it wasn't Brody's child. Nobody even knows the name of the random dude Carrie was screwing, he's had like one minute of screen time.

My predictions: Brody's name will be cleared, he'll come back to America and move in with Carrie to start a family (ugh), that plot point will also keep the Brody family involved in the story, and season 4 will be about the CIA using Brody as an asset to find the terrorist who bombed the CIA. Bam, all of a sudden Brody is crucial to the plot again and Showtime execs are happy.

GusBus

My predictions: Brody's name will be cleared, he'll come back to America and move in with Carrie to start a family (ugh), that plot point will also keep the Brody family involved in the story, and season 4 will be about the CIA using Brody as an asset to find the terrorist who bombed the CIA. Bam, all of a sudden Brody is crucial to the plot again and Showtime execs are happy.

What if Javadi was telling the truth though? That he passed on the keys, and knew what was going to happen?

Dany

Banned
That senate guy is an idiot p, god damn he is terrible. Let Saul be Saul.

I feel like one of my problems with the show is how small and focused it is. It feels odd sometimes that the stake of America and everything is in the hands of Carrie, Saul and Quinn.

oh man oh man great episode. this whole intrigue taking me to the edge of my seat.
haven't watch a great episode like this since Breaking Bad
time for Saul to take names and be a boss
Damn I have a feeling Quinn is going to die because of Carrie

nynt9

I feel like one of my problems with the show is how small and focused it is. It feels odd sometimes that the stake of America and everything is in the hands of Carrie, Saul and Quinn.

Given the (seemingly abandonded) mole plot, it makes sense that Saul wouldn't be able to trust anyone else with the plan. One leak and it all goes to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom