• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 4 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

I'm only catching up with the season now, and reading through the thread as I go. While I'm sure this has already been done (and GAF, I'll be disappointed if it hasn't), here it is in all its hastily prepared glory.

MgjDGCD.png

You can dislike Carrie Mathison's character all you like, but if you think Claire Danes is a bad actress, you are delusional.

I do not think Claire Danes is a bad actress by any means, but I pretty much loathe her performance as this character at this point (far from all Claire's fault).

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally caught up on the last three. The overruling of Carrie's order to take the shot on Haqqani was absurd. And then they continually act like she's the crazy one. The most recent episode was really great though. I thought they did a good job showing the growing disorientation of Carrie, the Saul and Haqqani scenes were great (though I do agree that scene where Saul was sitting there while they fucked was very odd in general). Lockhart scene was good too. I think that might have been the strongest episode this season, or at least top two.

Drifters

I found it corny as hell. I'm not a fan of when they talk about real life stuff (bin laden 9/11 ect) then splice it with there fictional terrorists but yea my eyes rolled pretty hard at that debate also dude asuming most Jewish looking person ever who's name is Saul is a Christian was funny as well.
Well aside from some of holes the intensity of the exchange was superb. This season really is the best yet IMO.

Grifter

Show just got upgraded to "watch while NOT sorting the week's mail." Ready for Dennis to eat his own shit unless he also gets the Brody S2 double (triple??)-agent deal which may be worse as it wraps him into Carrie's web.

We need to get the word out that this show is really good again. Sad how much interest has waned. Fucking second half of S2/first half of S3 ruined this show!

NYR

Great fucking episode. Felt like a top tier 24 episode. This show has potential if it keeps this up like this and doesn't focus on the shit that kills this show.

I really hope they are not setting up a
Khan-Carrie romance
because if they are, they are going to repeat their mistakes.

And I totally would have been okay with
Saul killing himself, would have been a good, honourable death. Great Scene.
Unfortunately, like World War Z, you know Brad Pitt is
the hero and nothing is ever going to happen to him no matter where he goes. Same with this ending for Saul, you know he is going to get out.

That was some great television. I started tearing up as Saul sat there at the fountain. I can't wait for next week to see that sniveling weasel ambassador's husband get chewed out.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh now the drone can tag and track moving targets on the ground...

Carrie just can't decide what she wants to do with Saul... first she wants to drop bombs on Haqqani and kill Saul as collateral damage, then she won't let Saul off himself to remove himself from the board and prevent a ridiculous prisoner exchange. Ya, okay.

Still, this episode had some competent spy games stuff, so that's an improvement over the rest of the season.

Daniel Pearl was an Israeli American journalist born in New Jersey that was beheaded by Al-Qaeda. His name may not be forever remembered by the American people, as James Foley likely will not. I carry both deaths with me on a daily basis to remember these men. My Hebrew school(in New Jersey) was renamed after I left in Daniel Pearl's honor. While a small token of his sacrifice in the name of his craft, I was very moved by his mention. He suffered trying to find the truth, that is a true hero.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Pearl The temple's Hebrew school naming is mentioned under Posthumous recognition at the very bottom. 12 years later and I still cry reading

Zaph

Fantastic episode.

We got the trifecta - some amazing spy games, Carrie efficiently catching on to her tampered meds and the leak being discovered.

I still think Khan is the real 'bad guy'. This whole perfect gent routine is just a ruse to gain trust.

Damn, Homeland at its best is terrific TV. It's a shame we don't have more spy thrillers airing. Pour another one out for Rubicon.

edit: Only thing I didn't like was the Jim Foley reference. I know it's common to couch plots in real-world events, but Homeland is still silly, idealistic entertainment. Felt wrong to drop the name of someone who's recent murder is still firmly entrenched in current affairs.

Zeth

The fountain overhead shot would have been too picturesque a suicide - that was a clever touch. Plus I love Saul and want to continue seeing him in the show.

And yeah this is Homeland at the top of its game IMO. Great stuff.

Lego Boss

Watching this on C4 in the UK. Haven't got to where you lot in the US have, but I think it's the best series in terms of the primacy of espionage and ramping up the tension.

Clare Danes turn as someone who is mentally unstable but unsure of her moral compass is really top acting. It's like you can see what she's thinking, but the disturbing thing is, she's not even sure about it, or what she's doing. It's really great character-led TV which brings back all kinds of memories of Gandolfini in the Sopranos.

The guy who plays Quinn is really good too, he's making me think that Carrie really lacks ANY moral compass, when he's upset by what she does, after all of the things he has done wrong.

Reaffirms TV as a serious art form.

yodandy

This was the best episode this season. I was on the edge of my seat the entire 2nd half. Half of me wanted Saul to go out in such a great fashion, but it's Saul and he is awesome so I'm glad he's alive.
However the next ep sneak peek looks like he might die

I am really like the story:
  • They didn't focus on the Ayan love story for too long
  • They havent went into Quinn/Carrie love story like I thought they would
  • They didnt have too long of a stretch with REALLY crazy Carrie
  • I thought they'd focus the rest of the season on getting Saul back, but it looks to be resolved soon
  • Brody is not back
  • They are really just moving the entire thing right along

DrBo42

What made her realize the pills were swapped?

In a panic the day prior she takes more and more of her medicine as she's unraveling, freaks out and finger shoots multiple people that evening. When she wakes the next day and starts to feel "okay" her next instinct was to take her dose, realization etc.

Zaph

What made her realize the pills were swapped?

Probably the fact she completely tripped out of her mind and couldn't remember anything. People who take meds daily know their own rhythms and reactions. What happened wasn't her 'normal' psychotic break, so she figured something must have gotten inside her and put 2 and 2 together.

Probably the fact she completely tripped out of her mind and couldn't remember anything. People who take meds daily know their own rhythms and reactions. What happened wasn't her 'normal' psychotic break, so she figured something must have gotten inside her and put 2 and 2 together.

I just thought it was weird her first reaction was they had been swapped rather than the medicine simply being tainted or her own body was changing somehow. Would have seemed a little more plausible if the blood tests had told her that rather than some instinctive reaction.

cameron

Really great episode. Saul's recapture was well done, but it was super depressing watching it.

Anyone know what the text message said? The text the ISI lady received during the meeting.

vityaz

I am really like the story:
  • They didn't focus on the Ayan love story for too long
  • They havent went into Quinn/Carrie love story like I thought they would
  • They didnt have too long of a stretch with REALLY crazy Carrie
  • I thought they'd focus the rest of the season on getting Saul back, but it looks to be resolved soon
  • Brody is not back
  • They are really just moving the entire thing right along

I fully agree. Awesome episode, I really thought Saul would end if there for a short while. I don't want it, but I think I would be somewhat ok with that ending for him.

I'm having a hard time with if I should watch the preview for next week or not... feel like always going in 100% fresh, but it's so damn tempting.

BghCNCL.gif

kingkitty

It may have been too easy for Saul to escape prison, but I was loving it. Rambo Saul is the best.

And I was certain Saul would pull the trigger, glad he didn't.

Dany

Banned
I just thought it was weird her first reaction was they had been swapped rather than the medicine simply being tainted or her own body was changing somehow. Would have seemed a little more plausible if the blood tests had told her that rather than some instinctive reaction.
I mean no it wouldn't have. People know what their own medication does to them, and how's it like when they're off it.

Blader

Thought this was a pretty tense episode. Was definitely worried for Saul at that fountain.

I haven't been following along with the thread so I'm sure this has been covered extensively before, but why is Carrie's history of mental illness treated as some secret that ISI and Duck Phillips had to discover? Didn't Saul out that publicly in a Senate committee hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom