• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 5 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

I thought it was a pretty good start to the season. My only complaints were:

- I don't believe for a second that Carrie would not alert the CIA to the fact that her foundation was going to publish their docs

- Apparently Snowden exists in this world since they dropped his name, which means this program should already be public

- She invoked the pirates code. Seriously?

Tugatrix

Solid episode, I like the ruthless Quinn but I think he is burnout loosing his motivation and look tired, I think his arc will be pretty good.

A great thing about homeland is how they always seem to be able to touch political relevant themes dominating the news months ahead from the showing date

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After the shit show of season 4 I'm cautiously optimistic after the first episode. There's some garbage, post-snowden spygate stuff and the magic van but there's a chance this might actually be a proper season of Homeland.

What is a proper season of Homeland?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The part with the hacking early in the episode made me cringe so hard. Seriously, why is it so hard for TV producers to portray hacking or networking in a way that's remotely credible?

Saty

Ugh, don't tell me Carrie is going in some way or another work with\alongside the CIA? Either have her out or in; not this 'out but on call to be in'. Nothing particularly exciting about this opener. At least after missing being relevant last season, now they are dealing with ISIS and refugee crises. Also confirmation of a falling-out between Carrie and Saul on the grounds of him siding with Adal at the end.

Enjoyed the premiere, Quinn's little speech about IS knowing exactly what they want was fantastic. Now I really want to see his Hitman movie.

It is a weird show in that the best parts of the show revolve around all the characters other than Carrie, but you sort of need her to be the glue that bring them all together.

Frog-fu

Banned
I really don't like jumping into Homeland seasons as they air until the latter half. Might have to change my mind for this season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That journalist/activist who apparently works at the foundation is hilariously petulant and naive. Same qualities Carrie has thrived on.

I sense this season taking a lot of themes and subject matters that The Honourable Woman dealt with and running them through Homeland's different political sensibilities.

Was I the only one who didn't pick up on it being related to the Hezbollah Council communication? (Until they started talking about it)
She's been kidnapped so many times for meetings with nefarious, underground characters she wants to meet with. She was never going to get a call to meet at the local cafe.

I think it was weird how Carrie never suspected that she was going to be kidnapped.
Carrie's being naive and stupid... something she's never been before...

- She invoked the pirates code. Seriously?
That was amusing. Carrie continues to consider herself a constant victim and the world owes her and her agendas endless favors, even when they go against the other party's obvious self-interests.

That extended season preview at the end was full-on bonkers. The transformation of Homeland into 24 will be completed.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Okay, did i black out something or since when is Carrie in Berlin with Saul extremely angry at her?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Quinn is just ice cold this season. Brrr.

I thought it was a good start and setup where the mains are at. Really digging the low tech cloak and dagger thing they did with Saul's pocket square. Since they're in Berlin, I hope we get more low tech spycraft moments like that. I have a feeling we will, since Quinn is off the CIA books.

OEM

I liked it. I hope they have some crazy awesome moment in this one as well. Peter Quinn the badass.

Dan

Okay, did i black out something or since when is Carrie in Berlin with Saul extremely angry at her?
2.5 years have passed, with Carrie leaving the CIA. We're meant to believe her and Saul have been on the outs since the S4 finale:

Wikipedia said:
With Lockhart's resignation as director imminent, Saul (Mandy Patinkin) explores avenues back into the CIA, possibly as director. A potential obstacle is the video Haissam Haqqani recorded with Saul as a hostage, which, if publicized, would make Saul damaged goods politically.

Dar Adal (F. Murray Abraham) informs Saul that he made a deal with Haqqani. In exchange for Haqqani agreeing to no longer harbor terrorists in Afghanistan, the CIA took Haqqani off of their "kill list". Saul is offended that such a deal was made. Adal presents a memory card containing the video, given to him by Haqqani, with the assurance that Saul no longer needs to worry about it surfacing. He invites Saul to come back and lead the CIA.

Carrie then visits Adal, demanding to be put in contact with Quinn, but Adal says that Quinn has gone on the mission in Syria and cannot be reached. Carrie confronts Adal with the knowledge that he met Haqqani in Islamabad. She asserts that Saul would never endorse a deal with Haqqani which would dishonor all of their fallen allies at the embassy. Adal tells her to ask Saul herself, revealing that Saul is outside on the deck. Carrie looks at Saul, realizing that he did agree to the deal, and leaves without saying a word to him.

This premiere also suggested Carrie may have said a thing or two around the agency/Washington to help keep Saul from getting the top CIA director gig, instead of just running Europe.

sangreal

2.5 years have passed, with Carrie leaving the CIA. We're meant to believe her and Saul have been on the outs since the S4 finale:

This premiere also suggested Carrie may have said a thing or two around the agency/Washington to help keep Saul from getting the top CIA director gig, instead of just running Europe.

It wasn't just suggested... Saul said flat out she tanked his director bid -- intentionally.

Turin

Banned
Very good start. The Brody's are a distant memory. May they continue to fade.

Quinn's basically in full Agent 47/Terminator mode. Love it.

jtb

Banned
all this talk of promotions probably means Lockhart is no longer in the series? Not that I'd expect him to still have a job after the royal fuck up of everything that happened last season, but Letts was so much fun as a clueless, smug asshole.

Dan

It wasn't just suggested... Saul said flat out she tanked his director bid -- intentionally.
Right, which Carrie immediately tried to deny. My instinct would be to disbelieve everything she says, but I'd hardly be surprised for the show to write it so that Carrie ends up blameless.

mm04

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought I was done with this show last season, but I like Peter Quinn a lot and as long as he's alive, I'll tune in. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before Carrie gets him killed.

It will probably never happen but I would love to see Quinn get Carrie's picture in the box. Also, he's more badass in the series than in the Hitman movie, since he's not
genetically engineered.

mm04

It will probably never happen but I would love to see Quinn get Carrie's picture in the box. Also, he's more badass in the series than in the Hitman movie, since he's not
genetically engineered.

I completely expect that to happen. Hell, I was half-expecting to see her pic as the first target.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So Carrie seems to have a redhead fetish eh? I seem to recall her having a one night stand with some random red-haired guy in a previous season too (but post-Brody so probably early S4). Kind of funny.

Social

The hacking made me worried in the trailer and it made me totally cringe in the actual episode. I was not expecting a show like Homeland to portray it so poorly. Felt like I was watching something stupid like CSI.

I was pretty bored with this first episode, the setup doesn't interest me much...yet.

Also, the whole church thing, that didn't fit her character at all :(.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The hacking made me worried in the trailer and it made me totally cringe in the actual episode. I was not expecting a show like Homeland to portray it so poorly. Felt like I was watching something stupid like CSI.

I was pretty bored with this first episode, the setup doesn't interest me much...yet.

Also, the whole church thing, that didn't fit her character at all :(.
I didn't hate the episode but I agree with your criticism. The hacking bit was terrible, and I don't get the church bit, since when is Carrie so devout?

yodandy

I liked it. Quinn is more Agent 47-like than he was when he played Agent 47 in that new movie.

Also this still gets me every time: https://twitter.com/jeremymonjo/status/490287086595874816

MFK4epL.png

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I thought it was a decent premiere, but I guess it depends where they go from here. Miranda Otto seems decent, glad to see Nina Hoss back as well, I quite liked her in A Most Wanted Man.

Season 5 Saul: "You're being stupid and naive, something you never were before."

Season 2 Saul: "You're the smartest and the dumbest fucking person I've ever known."

Make up your mind Saul :p

And since Dan brought it up, everyone should watch The Honorable Woman.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I thought it was a decent premiere, but I guess it depends where they go from here. Miranda Otto seems decent, glad to see Nina Hoss back as well, I quite liked her in A Most Wanted Man.

Season 5 Saul: "You're being stupid and naive, something you never were before."

Season 2 Saul: "You're the smartest and the dumbest fucking person I've ever known."

Make up your mind Saul :p

And since Dan brought it up, everyone should watch The Honorable Woman.

the Honourable Woman pls. British show :p

and yes, everyone should, Best show in years

will watch tis in four days when it premieres. Stoked a bit

I'm a bit behind on Sunday's TV, but I just watched the first episode. Thought it was a good start, looking forward to this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was much better than the premiere. I knew Quinn would get Carrie's name/picture in one of those envelopes eventually, but I didn't expect it to happen this soon.

Also, I'm interested to find out more about Carrie's situation. She's pissed off a lot of people over the years so it could be any number of them who are after her.

CoolOff

That was much better than the premiere. I knew Quinn would get Carrie's name/picture in one of those envelopes eventually, but I didn't expect it to happen this soon.

Yep, episode two is really early. I kinda like it instead of playing it up like a late-season twist. We all knew it was gonna happen eventually.

Dan

I hope it's the Brody kids using dad's old contacts to kill Carrie.

Except nope, it's all a stupid misunderstanding because someone snapped photos of Carrie telling the journalist she would not help. They'll all be working together again within two episodes.

Someone tries to kill Carrie's boss, so she immediately goes off the reservation to conduct a solo intelligence mission because of some vague fear the culprit might want to follow up with a second attack in Berlin. Despite the Hezbollah guy making it abundantly clear he actually had rather limited control over the area, so even an hour of protection was iffy. You've got several reasonable explanations for the attack right there without jumping to a conspiracy where they may have been betrayed by Hezbollah and blah blah. Of course, Carrie is quickly proven right, there is a crazy conspiracy and she's the only one who can solve it... because she's the target.

Miranda Otto: "Whose head would you rather serve to Germany? Saul's, the higher ranking official who works closer to you, or mine, who is pretty directly in charge of the current clusterfuck?" Yeah, that play doesn't sound so good.

Hacker dude's gonna walk right up to the journalist in broad daylight outside of a news studio.

So far it's better than last week, a lot better.

Quinn is just ruthless. Now I need to watch Hitman lol.

Jesus, everybody wants Carries head lol.

Obviously what's going to happen is that Quinn is somehow going to end up not killing Carrie because she will convince him that something bigger is happening and she needs his help. Then Saul questions Quinn and he tells Saul what's happening and he knows and he has a plan and they all cooperate like the old days and stops whoever is trying to kill everybody. This will continue into the next season and somehow Nicholas Brody is still alive.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Isn't the CIA paying Quinn for the hits and providing him with the target? That means the CIA is behind Carrie being the hit, right?

I blame Dar Adal. He's always been the shiftiest fuck of them all. :D

NYR

Episode 2 was fantastic - dat ending, epic. Quinn is a god tier character, saves the show by saying nothing and doing so much.

Isn't the CIA paying Quinn for the hits and providing him with the target? That means the CIA is behind Carrie being the hit, right?

Yep but it is also possible a 2nd group wants her dead too, leaves that possibility that the CIA want her dead for the leak and someone in Beirut wants her too for her past shannigans.

mileS

Is there a decent video summary or article that sums up last season? I remember bits and pieces and having something to help tie them together would be great.

Dysun

Like others said, I totally expected Carrie to show up in the envelope eventually. Not wasting any time this year

Also, not-Carrie trying to deflect the blame of her fuck up onto Saul is bound to work spectacularly

tch

Wow! I had no idea this show was still running. How has it been the past few seasons? I've only watched up until the end of season 2.

kirblar

Like others said, I totally expected Carrie to show up in the envelope eventually. Not wasting any time this year

Also, not-Carrie trying to deflect the blame of her fuck up onto Saul is bound to work spectacularly
I loved that she made the attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom