• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeland - Season 5 - Sundays on Showtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuckthew

The fact that this is only on page 2 kind of shows how the fanbase has dwindled, doesn't it?

I've only seen two seasons and struggle to find the motivation to continue. The series started out great but got ropey fast. Seeing the praise thus far for season 5 makes we want to pick it up again though.

How do 3 and 4 compare to 1 and 2?

CoolOff

That intro though, lots of spoilers.

Yeah, what the fuck was that about?

I've only seen two seasons and struggle to find the motivation to continue. The series started out great but got ropey fast. Seeing the praise thus far for season 5 makes we want to pick it up again though.

3 is shit, 4 is great. 4 was pretty much the reboot the show needed.

Can someone help me?

Why does Saul want Quinn to kill Carrie's daughter? What have I missed?

Her daughter is the reincarnation of Abu Nazir and the rigtheous heir of his empire. It's all connected.

I think he wants Quinn to kill Carrie and not her daughter, I guess he's not expecting Carrie to stay in Lebanon.

3 is terribad, 4 is the Rise of Peter Bauer.

----

One thing that I noticed is that the male casting for this series must be:

"Prerequisites: Damian Lewis lookalike"

oneils

Any Canadians know how to catch up with season 4? I can't seem to find it on Netflix or shomi with Rogers. So frustrating that they start airing season 5 without putting up the old season first. I'll check again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Quinn segments are great, need more of that.

Yeah, I really like old school spy stuff, so those are ace. Really want to find out why Carrie's name was on Quinn's list. She's having a rough week.

Only two episodes in, but this season has been very focused. There are almost no extraneous scenes so far.

Hyun Sai

I was bored to death by season 3, didn't go past the first 3 episodes.

If season 4 is great, do I need to finish S3 to keep up ?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was bored to death by season 3, didn't go past the first 3 episodes.

If season 4 is great, do I need to finish S3 to keep up ?

I doubt it. I've only seen Season 1 and then jumped right to Season 4. Never has trouble keeping up.

Saty

LOL

What's wrong with you people? Why are most of you buying-in and completely fine with the CIA putting Carrie on their kill list? Are you serious? You should be laughing this ridiculous development till you're out of breath.

Preposterous. Are we to believe that even in the case of Carrie leaking the documents that that's what the CIA will decide: to assassinate Carrie? LOL, credibility out of the window and into the manhole. And i though the CIA wants the rest of the files. Killing Carrie won't help them recover the rest of the files. So no matter how you spin, this is up there with the most asinine thing i've seen in this show. Maybe whoever prepared the newspaper code messed up and meant to spell ALLISON!

Another moment of stupid was the CIA treating the photos of Laura and Carrie as some sort of clear-cut evidence or that them simply meeting would something big. Only a sentence later they comment about the two WORKING WITH EACH OTHER. How would the CIA know that if indeed Carrie is the leak, that they didn't communicate and arrange things while at work where they work together inside the same building hours every day?! FFS!

Now, i want to think Homeland wouldn't be this stupid so i'll try to give it the benefit of the doubt. They showed a scene of a person entering the post and dropping the new intel that Queen later takes. I take that to mean that there might be more going on here and whoever did that drop wasn't acting on the behalf of the CIA\US. Hacking is already the theme, maybe some organization learned about this location and is now feeding Quinn false targets while he's thinking it's the Saul's orders.

If it is indeed a CIA order then that's one of the biggest Sharks i've seen on TV.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think the orders are coming from Saul. It would definitely be out of character for him. But not, say, Dar Adal, who is 100% ruthless. It's not inconceivable that the CIA thinks Carrie is a danger to the, with her knowledge and contacts and how she seemingly won't cooperate with them anymore. Like, who was that dude she met briefly at the hotel in Beirut, who seemed butthurt that Carrie wouldn't play ball? He might be involved too.

I agree it would be dumb if the pretext is the photos with that journalist though, photos don't prove shit.

Nice, loved that Carrie is now the target. That intro though, lots of spoilers.
Do you mean the "in the next episode" previews? Or the actual intro of the episode? I skipped both, haha. Glad I did.

Saty

I don't think the orders are coming from Saul. It would definitely be out of character for him. But not, say, Dar Adal, who is 100% ruthless. It's not inconceivable that the CIA thinks Carrie is a danger to the, with her knowledge and contacts and how she seemingly won't cooperate with them anymore. Like, who was that dude she met briefly at the hotel in Beirut, who seemed butthurt that Carrie wouldn't play ball? He might be involved too.

It really is. Carrie has been 'a danger' ever since she left. Why kill her now? Photos or no photos, entertaining the idea that the CIA wants her dead is insane.
Really, the Beirut guy? 'Carrie refused to share with me any info gained as an employee of this place, send the word to kill her!'. Common now. And the guy still totally thinks Carrie's position is a ruse headed by Saul.

So no, anyone at the CIA ordering Carrie to be killed is absurd and non-starter.

Do you mean the "in the next episode" previews? Or the actual intro of the episode? I skipped both, haha. Glad I did.

Actual intro, I'm hoping I'm wrong but it seems like there are bits and pieces of the whole season in there.

--

To be quite honest, I don't think this is one of the most outrageous things that the series has done so far. The S1 days are long gone to me, they went full 24. I raged so hard during S2/3 but now I got past it and accepted the change, I'll just treat the show like I did with the old 24 and not like it is something serious.

I watch each week with the hope that the true star of the show returns.

Brody is alive. Believe.

That mindfuck in S4, goddamnit.

Quidam

The only truly bad part of this show was the second half of Season 2 (and that's almost forgiveable after the amazing one-two-punch of Brody getting arrested and the subsequent interrogation episode).

Season 3 was unusual, but ultimately necessary in terms of the showrunners demonstrating that the series could continue without Brody. As dumb as it probably was, those final few episodes sneaking into Iran really appealed to me.

Season 5 so far seems like a return to Season 1 / early Season 2 form.

Grizzlyjin

Wait, do people really think that Saul put Carrie on the list? We literally had a scene that was entirely about how he treats everyone different from her and always protects her. Despite them apparently being on the outs, I don't see him doing that. It doesn't make sense. I wouldn't take what we saw at face value.

kirblar

Wait, do people really think that Saul put Carrie on the list? We literally had a scene that was entirely about how he treats everyone different from her and always protects her. Despite them apparently being on the outs, I don't see him doing that. It doesn't make sense. I wouldn't take what we saw at face value.
It's why he got a code instead of a picture, to avoid tipping Saul off.

shanafan

Fun episode, much better than the premiere. Everyone wants Carrie dead now. Exciting!

Agreed! The premiere was a little confusing with how things were being set up, but this episode was much better and really liking the direction of this season.

Why is During helping the refugee camp exactly?

Exactly what I was hoping. Especially last season towards the end. Then we get brought back to reality.

Ugh, that was both awesome and depressing what happened last season involving Brody.

kirblar

Agreed! The premiere was a little confusing with how things were being set up, but this episode was much better and really liking the direction of this season.

I pretty much assumed
Quinn was going to have to target Carrie this season at some point but I am glad they are already starting that angle now

Why is During helping the refugee camp exactly?
Because both on the show and IRL the Syrian situation is a gigantic humanitarian crisis. He went out there in order to induce others to write large checks as well.

Let me quote myself from the last page:

Obviously what's going to happen is that Quinn is somehow going to end up not killing Carrie because she will convince him that something bigger is happening and she needs his help. Then Saul questions Quinn and he tells Saul what's happening and he knows and he has a plan and they all cooperate like the old days and stops whoever is trying to kill everybody. This will continue into the next season and somehow Nicholas Brody is still alive.

Mokujin

As someone who really liked the first half of the first season, and struggled though Seasons 2 and 3
[I was really happy they ended the Brody arc, really needed in my opinion]
, I don't know how season 4 was, but these two episodes seemed really nice to me.

Looking forward to see how things go from here.

I'd happily watch Quinn be a badass for 50minutes. Kind of surprised the billionaire didn't get killed, there were certainly enough opportunities.

So essentially inviting During to the camp was a way to get Carrie in country so that she could be killed for her actions as the "Drone Queen."

Now the CIA wants her dead... At this point I'm confused as to who put her name in the box. Is Saul the only one who knows about that box? I'm surprised he would do this given the flimsy evidence of a picture. Let's not forget that Carrie also visited Eowyn (I don't remember her name on the show) on the same day as the breach and the meeting with the reporter.

I get the feeling they're doing an end around on Saul and using Peter. If this is Dar Adal again, I would be surprised if he thinks Peter will actually kill Carrie given their history.

I appreciate the setup. The first two episodes have been pretty good. But some of this doesn't hang together very well. Either there's someone else moving pieces on the board and we don't know who that is yet, or the writers are just winging it and hoping we're not paying close attention. "Look at the shiny explosion! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

I appreciate the setup. The first two episodes have been pretty good. But some of this doesn't hang together very well. Either there's someone else moving pieces on the board and we don't know who that is yet, or the writers are just winging it and hoping we're not paying close attention. "Look at the shiny explosion! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Magician's hot assistant trick.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just got around to watching it, thought it was a good episode. Thought the scene where Quinn killed that ISIS recruiter was pretty good, and I liked the conversation between Carrie and Düring. A little skeptical of Quinn getting Carrie's name (I mean, it seemed like something the show would do, but it's also kind of absurd, which I guess could lead back to the start of this parenthetical). Ignoring that though, I don't think it was Saul, Saul's not dumb enough to think that Quinn would actually kill Carrie. Can't imagine anyone who has seen his file would actually think that, unless they don't know who's getting the orders, which is possible since I think they said he's operating off the books. Anyway, good start to the season so far.

Best exchange of the episode:

"Did you hear me? I want my lawyer."
"I heard you, you have a loud voice." lol

Also, (upcoming episode title)
they're seriously naming an episode "Better Call Saul?" :/

Thought this was a pretty interesting perspective, forgot that WSJ had somebody who did this: ‘Homeland’ Season 5, Episode 2: An Intelligence Expert Weighs In

zychi

Banned
Magician's hot assistant trick.
Its going to be her boyfriend working for someone(probably IM TOO IMPORTANT TO BE FIRED! Lady) and rich dude saves her ass at the end of the season.

I enjoy homeland, besides the shit Dana season, but the writers are awful at hiding their ideas early in the show. If they want to do sometbing out of left field, they need to blow up Carrie's daughter somehow.

I dont like Quinn hunting Carrie, i wanted more side missions with him hunting terrorists :/

Jesus Christ that was an intense episode.

I figure the only group of people that can make Hezbollah commanders too scared to talk are either people who can wipe out their families easily (Iran?) or highly placed religious leaders, ie "do what I say or your soul is cursed". Random civilians Carrie got murdered don't seem to fit the bill. Her little crazy trip was insane to watch.

Saul and Dar are planning on assassinating Assad, that's the takeaway from their conversation, right? Dayum. That's like some 20 minutes into the future kinda stuff, really cool.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So it looks like Quinn wasn't assigned to kill Carrie after all, or else he would have done it right then and there in the forest (although he did have a gun pulled when he was stalking the place, so I'm guessing he was prepared to kill her boyfriend). I'm guessing they just wanted him to find her and then bring her in.

Also, I'm fine with Crazy Carrie popping up every now and then (preferably only once per season) - just so long as they keep her reigned in like in this episode. Let her come out to play, but only in a controlled setting.

kirblar

I think he was prepared for armed guards in general.

Given that he just KOed her THEN gave her a drug, I'd think she's about to be interrogated.

CoolOff

Wait, you guys think he's following orders here? I feel like he's pretty obviously going against them and will ask her why her picture was given to him.

Also, I really like Stoic German Prince Charming. He has nice chemistry with Carrie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
LOL, Carrie said she was filing FOIAs to get info on her possible enemies. Sure, sure.

This guy did a background on Carrie and thought she was a cool cat who didn't have enormous amounts of blood on her hands?

Carrie bringing out the highly intelligent argument that torture totally works. Mmm hmm.

Carrie stops taking her meds! She gains the Bipolar effect: +10 INT, -5 CHR!

Why is Saul actively involved with a plot to remove Assad and install a western-friendly leader? Isn't there a Middle Eastern division chief who'd be more into that? Saul took a demotion by multiple levels, yet he's seemingly scheming right alongside Dar Adal over regime change in a place not at all in his purview.

Oh good, Allison is sleeping with Saul now. That's... icky for everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom