• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West |OT| Red Head Redemption - II -

Mossybrew

Yep I was going to point this out.

If there's one area of the combat this game needed, it was a shield/parry. And they give you a damn shield in the game! Why didn't they use it for more than gliding????

With how aggressive these enemies are, it would be nice to have a parry move or block that had stamina that would widdle down so you couldnt abuse it. I feel like that one aspect would add so much to the combat. Can't believe it's absent.

I kinda disagree here because I usually never use block or parry moves in games if I don't have to, just never like being defensive other than dodging, enjoy staying on offense, of course this is just my preference.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
FMlYgCnWUAMcN9P

this gun felt fucking AWESOME. got my rambo on tonight.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I agree.

The story missions are all excellent AAAA stuff....really epic encounters for each one. The side quests are very good - they give some context/lore to each tribe. Some are great, some are kinda boring and I don't care and find myself skipping through all the slow diologue. The rest of the side content stuff is hit or miss. I like the Ruins and Cauldrons the most. The rest is filler.

The pits and hunting grounds dont really add anything other than basic training. I still find the melee in this game to be mostly bad, but thankfully the ranged combat is soo excellent you don't need to use it often. Even fully maxing out the melee it takes ages to do the resonator move. These human enemies are friggin tanks too...it's kinda even worse than the first game in that regard.
Yeah i fully maxed out the melee skill tree and it still takes forever to build up the resonator charge. Human enemies and robots both ignore my hits and continue on with their attacks. Combos are basically useless since they are easily interrupted.

What’s funny is that they fixed the melee in the dlc by simply increasing the spear damage and letting you add up to two spear damage coils to boost it even further.

Anyway, I just they got ability to do what I’ve been asking for some five years now and it is fantastic. The visuals don’t take a big hit. They manage the draw the distance with fog and it rains a lot when you are up there but there is something majestic about roaming above these towering machines at this level of fidelity. There is still some pop in on occasion but overall the game simply looks awe inspiring. Hope they had increased the speed for the ps5 like that Spider-Man demo but i think the fact that pop in is still there on Ps5 likely means they need to do an engine overhaul.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I kinda disagree here because I usually never use block or parry moves in games if I don't have to, just never like being defensive other than dodging, enjoy staying on offense, of course this is just my preference.
A returnal style dash system would’ve gotten you back in action faster than a dodge roll. I think bloodborne really benefited from this as well.

T0minator

uocPlhg.jpg
cO23l6V.jpg
oaeQcut.jpg
wYtngRS.jpg
jacFcs2.jpg

I've put in 40hrs and STILL I'm blown away by this game every time I boot it up.

Guerilla did an absolutely incredible job on HFW. It's unfortunate it launched with bugs. I'm glad the devs worked on and continue to work on any issues (issues that I personally have no seen in the game myself during my 40hrs) .

This game's world is incredibly well crafted and a joy to explore. Every PS4/PS5 owner owes it to themselves to explore this world. It's truly something special, especially on PS5.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Journalists saying that melee is useless and i'm here wrecking havok with the level 3 melee surge valor, lmao.

Also, if you want to apply elements, the fast small bow with the 3 arrow shotgun ability is one of your best choices, i got a purple one with fire, thunder and acid elements after a sidequest with the desert tenakt.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lol, was browsing the Horizon sub Reddit and saw someone reference it. Some dude clipped through her clothes in photo mode and she has fully rendered nipples haha.
Why in the hell would you even render a nipple that nobody can't see??

These dutchies at guerrillla are horny people :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Why in the hell would you even render a nipple that nobody can't see??

These dutchies at guerrillla are horny people :lollipop_squinting:
They probably wanted to spare PC modders the hassle later on, and also do an infinitely better job themselves.
And at least we now know the canon appearance of Aloy's boobs, and they're a damn 10/10.

Seriously, hope they won't patch this innocuous thing out.

Sorry if not allowed but here are those nipples.
Better version:
QbPqK8h.png

Last edited:

Woggleman

Journalists saying that melee is useless and i'm here wrecking havok with the level 3 melee surge valor, lmao.

Also, if you want to apply elements, the fast small bow with the 3 arrow shotgun ability is one of your best choices, i got a purple one with fire, thunder and acid elements after a sidequest with the desert tenakt.
I agree. While playing last night I discovered all these new layers to melee and combat in general that I ignored and I am glad I did.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Quick rant from someone who liked Forbidden West so much that he decided to revisit Zero Dawn. Note: I didn't like Zero Dawn when it first released, and I think it's because I played it right after Breath of The Wild...

I wanted to test this theory so yesterday I decided to play some Zero Dawn on PS5 via backward compatibility. I've spend around 3-4 hours and got to Meridian. Today I woke up with a fresh mind and wanted to continue my progress when I realised that I also have this game on Steam. So I decided to fire it up on PC just to see the difference and HOLLY MACARONI there's a massive difference.

I'm a little pissed that Sony don't give their first party catalogue the love that it deserves. Surely PS5 can run the game at max PC settings with 4k resolution.

The version that's available on PS5 is simply fugly in comparison. Low resolution, pop-in everywhere, low-res textures, shitty draw distance, claustrophobic FOV.

The game itself is actually very similar to Forbidden West. I was shocked how similar it is. I will drop my playthrough on PS5 and start fresh on PC.

Screw you, SONY!

Barrico82

Banned
I had a weird bug, not sure if it is common, i went to a pit arena, then the screen turns to black, with sound of the crowd, i had a digital deluxe armor and weapon, after several tries, decided to take them off and then it was solved !

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Anyone playing with “Easy Loot” setting on?

Some of these parts are difficult to tear off

And sometimes when I tear them off, they disappear??! Am I doing something wrong and accidentally blowing them up?
No, that's literally the best mechanic in the game. Makes fights much more engaging.

And yes, parts can disappear. Happened to me more than once in my 75+ hours with the game. Game is extremely buggy. It's the first Sony game ever that I had to revert to previous save because I couldn't progress further. Twice.
That's not a bug because those components can/do get destroyed. So, to summarize:
  • Easy Loot Off = You have to tear the destructible components that you want to save and loot.
  • Easy Loot Off = You don't have to tear the destructible components that you want to save and loot. If the components are still attached by the time the machine dies, you will be able to loot them.
However, whether the Easy Loot option is turned on or off, you still need to save those parts from being destroyed.

For example, the Slitherfang has Earth Grinders underneath its neck / above its belly. Right below the Earth Grinders, however, is an acid sac that you can destroy. When destroyed, the acid sac triggers a big explosion that can also often destroy the Earth Grinders. Whether the Easy Loot is on or off, that component will be destroyed. So you will have to kill the Slitherfang another way, without triggering the explosion and risk that component loss.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That's not a bug because those components can/do get destroyed.

That's also true but I had multiple instances where parts disappeared. Hell, I even had an entire machine disappear. I killed it with elemental acid attack and it died when it was underground never to re-emerge again. And it had a quest item...

On a side note. Playing Zero Dawn now. Feels like more Forbidden West. I'm liking it a lot actually. Looks amazing on PC. Sony, why you don't patch your games to properly utilize PS5? :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Gh5mWow.jpg

Vick

Gold Member
So I decided to fire it up on PC just to see the difference and HOLLY MACARONI there's a massive difference.

I'm a little pissed that Sony don't give their first party catalogue the love that it deserves. Surely PS5 can run the game at max PC settings with 4k resolution.

The version that's available on PS5 is simply fugly in comparison. Low resolution, pop-in everywhere, low-res textures, shitty draw distance, claustrophobic FOV.

Screw you, SONY!
Textures are actually exactly the same, they were insanely hi-res in the original on PS4 Pro.

YmUiRyj.png

LQ8JOSU.png

x4f0dkj.png

QyfTbEW.png

The much superior AF on PC however truly make them shine.

Resolution it's CB4K, higher resolution than most 60fps games on PS5.

Draw distance difference is not exacly night and day and was quite incredible for a PS4 game at the time, but at times appear more significant because shadows are rendered further on PC, and shadows themselves are also sharper.

Biggest differences are the superior water reflections and interactive foliage, but for the latter the effect itself is quite cheap looking.

Remember the game is basically free on PS5, in order to improve (outside of AF) a paid Remaster would be certainly made. And considering PC performances, maybe the rock solid 60fps patch the game got on the Console is preferable as is, also to avoid potential downgrades like what happened with the Legacy of Thieves Collection.

The game still looks amazing at 60fps on PS5 regardless.

hSDfmTq.png

FN1FaTy.png

nEhsYWt.png

BYe03O6.png

GBur02l.png

buALaFb.png

02FDD9S.png

YPMZ91o.png

5L6sIOA.png

cM2KH1s.png

smYxysX.png

awmwFds.png

yjx6IIn.png

bcMasqf.png

fbldFlu.png

dJVL4Ck.png

Oc7XmjR.png

All Gameplay, no Photo Mode.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Vick Vick

The difference is so big that I was willing to abandon 5 hours of progress and start fresh on PC. Image quality is infinitely better. I'm playing in 4k with DLSS set to quality and picture is razor sharp.

Small things like the ability to scale your HUD (it's too big on PS5) or to increase the FOV just elevate this game for me.

Performance is rock solid. This game was patched like a hundred times since it was released.

A real shame that when working on improvements for PC port they didn't took the time to translate some of that to PlayStation.

Vick

Gold Member
The difference is so big that I was willing to abandon 5 hours of progress and start fresh on PC. Image quality is infinitely better. I'm playing in 4k with DLSS set to quality and picture is razor sharp.
Yeah i guess i have to thank i never hooked the PC to the KRP, i don't see any difference whatsoever in resolved detail as it's razor sharp on PS5 as well, perhaps even too much. The real difference is how clean IQ is thanks to DLSS and that's definitely noticeable.

Small things like the ability to scale your HUD (it's too big on PS5) or to increase the FOV just elevate this game for me.
For me it's the improved LOD and reduced pop-in, that for sure help the experience, along with water reflections personally. Was framerate before.

Performance is rock solid. This game was patched like a hundred times since it was released.
Yeah, i now it got patched by GG themselves but:

Still not ideal. Later Sony PC ports have been much better.

A real shame that when working on improvements for PC port they didn't took the time to translate some of that to PlayStation.
Yeah, Sony absolutely sucks when it comes to these things.

But to be honest, i'm not even sure PS5 could run the raw Zero Dawn code at Native 4K and Max Settings at a rock solid 60fps.
I'd rather take a proper Remaster on PS6, with redone facial animations and other things here and there to bring it on the same level of Fobidden West. There's always the PC version in the meantime.

Vick

Gold Member
That was last year. We're on 1.11.2 now. Played it for 5 hours. Flawless experience. It was complete trash at release.
That's awesome to hear. Haven't played the version in ages and, as a matter of fact, just barely tried it for some hours before realizing my PC was not up to the task Max/4K/Rock solid 60fps. Hell, only bought it last year after knowing about the interactive vegetation mentioned in a post here on GAF (skipped it entirely at launch due to negative feedback) and again recently after the DLSS support. I guess the flawless performance now are mostly due to DLSS?

Nice to see it's still supported though, fingers crossed for a flawless Forbidden West release now as these games really deserve it.

SlimySnake

I set off a massive explosion on a Tremortusk and took its health down to about 1/3rd with one of those lol. Did it on a Thunderjaw too and took nearly half of its health out.
1/3rd? Use it with the critical hit valor surge and advanced precision arrows and you can take down even the biggest robots in two hits lol

If you use it with chain reaction valor surge, you can kill entire herds in one hit.

Its by far the most op skill in the game and it is going to get nerfed for sure.

Man, I really wish Guerilla would let you change outfit colors on the fly once you buy the dye. Pretty lame you can't do this and have to go to a dye maker each time. Booooo.

assurdum

Banned
The much superior AF on PC however truly make them shine.

Resolution it's CB4K, higher resolution than most 60fps games on PS5.
Err believe me people is not more used to Horizon CBR, even me, after we have played most of the ps5 with TAAU at 60 FPS. I defended with all myself the sequel in the 60 FPS mode but the problem it's not the dynamic 1600CBR but the whole CBR of Horizon. Vegetation is unwatchable even with 4k CBR in the first Horizon. I replayed it today and goosh what a shitty noisy mess. All the foliage seems drawn inside a grid of noise, it was annoying especially in the high contrast scenes when the lighting cross the trees foliage. Something I forgot it after so many months on ps5 games. Using the resolution upscaling of the Tv unfortunately worse the things even more.

Last edited:

evanft

35 hours in

- Stealth has basically been completely nerfed to the point where going in guns blazing is often the best option in most situations.
- Enemy health seems really unbalanced. They need to give all the enemies a bit of a reduction. Too many fights just feel like slogs.
- Valor surges and weapon skills are a bit of a fail. Having to go into the menu and find the surge you want is so annoying that I just end up using toughness and nothing else. I almost never use weapon skills because they require too much thought in the heat of battle to know which ones I have and how they apply.
- Can we get rid of carry capacity in games? It’s fucking annoying and only creates friction in the experience.
- Why do I have to watch an animation every time I activate a valor surge?
- This game desperately needs load outs.

Last edited:

pratyush

After playing this for 30 hours, i have to say some critics have got this game spectacularly wrong. I am not talking about the score in general, just the complaints.

Story progresses well and goes in the direction one would expect after the first game. World is beautiful and filled with NPC that for the first time dont look like robots and have some genuinely great story to tell. Every single new machine design is breathtaking and it seems to me that some difficulty is also raised as they are quite aggressive ( fits with story line as well). Most of the complaints were either Story or bugs. I have to say few bugs here and there, game has been in great shape. They should not have released 60 fps option if it wasn’t on the same level as 30 fps at the moment. People on PS have played 30 fps for more than a decade now and it never hindered any sales. Stability of Elden Ring is in worse state and yet it didnt matter for it.

I think this is one of the games which will be remembered for more fondly once people progress to the end and fully experience it. Its not ground breaking but it does everything great and is better sequel. So to get lower review than its predecessor is not something i find correct ( although 88 in isolation is great score)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
35 hours in

- Stealth has basically been completely nerfed to the point where going in guns blazing is often the best option in most situations.
- Enemy health seems really unbalanced. They need to give all the enemies a bit of a reduction. Too many fights just feel like slogs.
- Valor surges and weapon skills are a bit of a fail. Having to go into the menu and find the surge you want is so annoying that I just end up using toughness and nothing else. I almost never use weapon skills because they require too much thought in the heat of battle to know which ones I have and how they apply.
- Can we get rid of carry capacity in games? It’s fucking annoying and only creates friction in the experience.
- Why do I have to watch an animation every time I activate a valor surge?
- This game desperately needs load outs.
- Stealth is very OP.
- You can tweak the damage you deal to enemies to fix this "issue" with you. The settings are in accessibility > difficulty > custom
- It wasn't really an issue for me. I had the Warrior Valor Surge that improves Critical Chances and Damage. Then I just hit the Valor Surge before entering a battle.
- Carry capacity: I agree. The Stash is a very good improvement, but this whole mechanic is just weird in all games and needs to go.
- Valor Surge animations are cool, especially for the Crit one. That one is the best.
- Agree. I hope they patch in load outs as soon as possible, just like Sucker Punch did with GoT.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
After playing this for 30 hours, i have to say some critics have got this game spectacularly wrong. I am not talking about the score in general, just the complaints.

Story progresses well and goes in the direction one would expect after the first game. World is beautiful and filled with NPC that for the first time dont look like robots and have some genuinely great story to tell. Every single new machine design is breathtaking and it seems to me that some difficulty is also raised as they are quite aggressive ( fits with story line as well). Most of the complaints were either Story or bugs. I have to say few bugs here and there, game has been in great shape. They should not have released 60 fps option if it wasn’t on the same level as 30 fps at the moment. People on PS have played 30 fps for more than a decade now and it never hindered any sales. Stability of Elden Ring is in worse state and yet it didnt matter for it.

I think this is one of the games which will be remembered for more fondly once people progress to the end and fully experience it. Its not ground breaking but it does everything great and is better sequel. So to get lower review than its predecessor is not something i find correct ( although 88 in isolation is great score)
Couldn't have said it better. It's a travesty that the game is now scoring lower than HZD when it is a marked improvement over the first game in every respect: animation, side quest quality, world, world density, NPC dialogues, stories, and cultural influences, combat, weapons, etc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hekarro reminds me of Geno Segers from the fanmade Uncharted short film.
Is it him?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I'm right around 30 hours myself and I agree 100%. So far this game is fantastic. The story is great. The voice acting is excellent. The game play keeps getting better and better as you progress through the game. If I am going to complain about something then it is probably the navigation system. It can be hard to follow at times and other times makes me run way out of the way to get to my destination that is close. Other than that and the occasional bug I'm having a blast.

ManaByte

Gold Member
uocPlhg.jpg
cO23l6V.jpg
oaeQcut.jpg
wYtngRS.jpg
jacFcs2.jpg

I've put in 40hrs and STILL I'm blown away by this game every time I boot it up.

Guerilla did an absolutely incredible job on HFW. It's unfortunate it launched with bugs. I'm glad the devs worked on and continue to work on any issues (issues that I personally have no seen in the game myself during my 40hrs) .

This game's world is incredibly well crafted and a joy to explore. Every PS4/PS5 owner owes it to themselves to explore this world. It's truly something special, especially on PS5.
Where do you get that outfit?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I really dont understand any complaints against the story.

It is awesome Sci Fi stuff. Really builds on the first game excellently. Really wasn't expecting the direction they went with it either.

Because parts of it are total rip offs of other SciFi movies:

HADES explaining how this is the fifth reset is right out of The Matrix where the Architect says the same to Neo.

and

When Aloy overrides the Sunwing and flies into the Arena area it's right out of Avatar.

SlimySnake

I really dont understand any complaints against the story.

It is awesome Sci Fi stuff. Really builds on the first game excellently. Really wasn't expecting the direction they went with it either.
Yep. I love how they go excruciating detail to answer every question the player might have. I don’t care for dialogue trees in side quests but after major story beats, i went and clicked every single dialogue option and all of it was well thought out and interesting.
The first game had this too but in holograms and i remember watching them all as well. It pains me to see people talk about the story in horizon games as an afterthought because they put in far more effort into it than any other developer save for maybe naughty dog, cd project and ten years ago BioWare.

I finished the first game back when they patched the 60 fps mode for the first time in almost five years and the post credit ending heavily hints at the direction the story takes in the sequel. Then i replayed from the beginning on PC and Gaia pretty much tells you that the extinction signal came from space in one of the cutscenes. I’m so glad they went in that direction because that’s exactly why i love this scifi setting so much. Its half game of thrones, half interstellar. I mean who is doing that right now in gaming??

Mossybrew

45 hours in, level 34, on Faros Tomb main mission but going back to do some side missions and errands. A lot of side missions open up if you go back and revisit previous settlements. This game is bursting with quality content, its unreal. Still finding new biomes, taking way too many photos. I can honestly say Forbidden West is one of my favorite games ever made. Amazing.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Loving the game.

For some reason, today, several machine sites I worked through remained as unknown even though they were cleared out and I walked over the markers in those spots. Others were “discovered” just fine. Annoying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom