• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm hoping for less human interactions.

More Bloodborne/Fallout/Elder-Scrolls uninterrupted gameplay than Witcher 3's (albeit excellently executed) bigger focus on people interaction.

Should probably read the previews, there are tons of towns and cities where you get quests, trade, buy items, etc. Its most definitely going the Witcher route.

Couldn't be more different. Hmm...would love to hear your reasoning there.

Well, it's just my gut reaction based on what I've seen, but I don't think it's similar to The Witcher at all and I don't know why anyone would jump to that game first when making a comparison.

Horizon seems like more of an action game first, where character level is just a number and crafting is to enhance your toolset, kinda like the Far Cry games or Mad Max.

Witcher seems like more of an RPG, where your level, stats, and abilities are all going to be focused around whatever "build" you're striving for. Where you'll be crafting a ton of the same weapons only with better stats.

By Guerrila’s own admission though, the role-playing elements are fairly light and more focused towards crafting than stats.

One example I can think of: I don't see you getting hundreds of different pairs of gloves alone. Looting between the two games will be extremely different as a result.

The world in the Witcher is very grounded. You visit pretty normal villages, cities\towns, and you help people out with their problems. In the Witcher, I just finished a quest where someone wanted to discover the source of a loud noise coming from a cemetery. So I investigate and end up settling a dispute between 2 ghosts who do not want to deal with each other's nagging for all eternity. I mean... I just don't see you doing that kind of stuff in Horizon because they SEEM like very different types of games. I could be wrong though.

One of the primary concerns people have in The Witcher is which lady they are going to romance. Again, Horizon doesn't seem to be that kind of game.

Hopefully that gives an idea as to why I think these games are fundamentally different. Not that it's a bad thing.

HStallion

I think everyone who praises the Witcher 3's quests tends to focus only on the story elements and character stuff. Lets be honest, how many of the Witcher 3's quests, especially the side quests, were literally turning on Witcher Sense and just following a set of tracks, or a scent, or a trail of blood, for much of the quest line? Don't get me wrong I loved the game but I really do think people only look at the quests for their narrative value. The gameplay side of things, and this has little to do with how good or bad the combat might be, was pretty damned lackluster outside of some of the larger more interesting quest lines like the Bloody Baron.

Alo0oy

Banned
Monster Hunter series?

Well, WRPGs to be more specific, I was actually being generous to them when I said "even half as good" lol, atrocious gameplay and janky animations is the standard for WRPGs. The standard is so bad that people didn't actually believe this game was an RPG when it was first revealed because the animations and combat was unprecedented in the genre.

Japan has Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, and the Souls games.

RK9039

I think everyone who praises the Witcher 3's quests tends to focus only on the story elements and character stuff. Lets be honest, how many of the Witcher 3's quests, especially the side quests, were literally turning on Witcher Sense and just following a set of tracks, or a scent, or a trail of blood, for much of the quest line? Don't get me wrong I loved the game but I really do think people only look at the quests for their narrative value. The gameplay side of things, and this has little to do with how good or bad the combat might be, was pretty damned lackluster outside of some of the larger more interesting quest lines like the Bloody Baron.

Most were like that, but I personally like the witcher sense idea. Felt like a detective game almost.

Phediuk

Well, WRPGs to be more specific, I was actually being generous to them when I said "even half as good" lol, atrocious gameplay and janky animations is the standard for WRPGs. The standard is so bad that people didn't actually believe this game was an RPG when it was first revealed because the animations and combat was unprecedented in the genre.

Japan has Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, and the Souls games.

Dragon's Dogma was janky as fuck, wtf is this post.

HStallion

Most were like that, but I personally like the witcher sense idea. Felt like a detective game almost.

Its pretty repetitive, basic, common gameplay yet the side quests are often called some of the best around. Narrative, acting, and characters sure but the gameplay is pretty barebones for a lot of these quests outside of following some trails or something along those lines, fighting a monster or group of monsters and that's about it. There are some exceptional quests of course like the Gwent tournament and the Bloody Baron questline but they were surrounded by a lot or repeating generic stuff.

So u don't level up your character at all??

From what I saw on psaccess u level up through your gear. Am I understanding this correctly

very much excited for this game! High hopes!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

From what I saw on psaccess u level up through your gear. Am I understanding this correctly

Yeah that's pretty much it, which is awesome. Your loadout and equipment is the main rpg aspect. Beat tough robots, get a higher chance at good equipment/upgrades/weapons.

Love this game is shaping up, just behind Zelda as game of the show. But both eclipse anything else shown.

Alo0oy

Banned

You do level up, but your level is mostly for progressing through the skill tree, your stats are gear dependent like Monster Hunter.

Dinda

From what i understand it is more like that you level certain skills and abilities (slow time etc..) with the character level instead of things like strengh, vitality etc.
It was said that the Aloy in the demo was ca. level 14 and that was why she already had certain skills

While stuff like how much damage you do etc are only equipment based.

The details from Gamesradar sound amazing. Bring on the ancient cities! I also love a good ancient corpse. Can't wait to see more of this!

Her character is an amazingly good realization of a woman protagonist. They did a fantastic job at making her a believable female hunter/warrior who leverages her inherrent strengths (i.e., strategy and planning, stealth, agility, speed, and ranged attacks) but is still adept at full-on physical confrontation when encountering it, rather than just throwing a reskinned male character out there without much thought or effort. There is something about leveraging what we now know about the nomadic / paleolithic aspects of humanity in portraying how a woman's physical prowess and standing within a social group should be and was at one time similar to that of a man's current day and how that was pragmatic and beneficial within the group. It wasn't until agriculture changed the dynamics of social standing for women that modern day gender stereotypes and inequality was pushed to the extreme end of the scale.

Gurish

Well, Zelda will win on GAF; the whole Nintendo vote will be concentrated into one game lol.

lol yea, not exactly fair, Sony games will have split votes, some will think GOW4 was the best, others Horizon, or Spiderman or Days Gone or TLG, the same for Xbox games, it's not hard to see how Zelda will win.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really, really looking forward to this one.

Mortemis

Banned
Main worry gone! Yay!

Seriously. This game's graphics is nice and all, but from what we've seen the combat is what sticks out to me. It looks really fun to play.

Who knows the quality of the quests or storytelling, but this is looking like a really solid game.

FATALITY

Banned
That's the crux of the issue for me. Game looks really appealing, but this is GG. I haven't enjoyed any of their games up to now, and several of them are outright bad, so it's hard to fully buy in at this stage just from what I've seen.

list them please

Gurish

The combat and stuff looks amazing but my worry is that the game is going to have boring mission structure / sidequests etc. That's the reason I normally get burnt out on these kinds of games pretty quickly.

That's my main concern, a concern I have for any open world game in development, had it for TW3, was happy to find out it's one of the best in that department, had it for MGS5, was sad to see it's one of the worst, couldn't bother finishing it after a couple of hours.

Will we actually be able to fight with a spear/sword in this game (despite the ambush attacks) or are we bound to the bow

Not that its a bad thing, im just curious

HStallion

Will we actually be able to fight with a spear/sword in this game (despite the ambush attacks) or are we bound to the bow

Not that its a bad thing, im just curious

Yeah you can do a couple attacks, you seen one in the latest gameplay demo where does like a downward stab move on one of the Watchers and I believe they have said you have other moves as well/

Herman Hulst kind of implied Killzone never had anywhere close to an in-house writing team before Horizon.

God that explains so much.

Loudninja

Nice
6. How Expansive Is the Non-Linear Story?
"In addition to the main quest, every tribe has got its own story arc, and within each tribe you're going to meet a ton of people who have self-contained stories, but each one of those is a story," said Gonzalez. "The side quests are definitely not just throwaway content. Then in addition to that there will be just activities, smaller things that you can do that aren't as narratively intense, but they round out the experience. So there's a ton of content."

A big way that the lore feels natural within the story is the believable interactions between Aloy and NPCs, and I was impressed with how the acting and writing even with characters as result-oriented as merchants made them feel like real people within this world. "We've tried to make sure those interactions feel human," said Gonzalez. "We've tried to make sure that the quest that you're going to experience has actual dramatic arcs that really build and pay off, and there's some real emotion to it, and nothing that feels like, you know, FedEx, completely just busywork."

8. What Is the Coolest Element of the Story People Haven't Talked About Yet?
"One of the things we're not getting into yet but will certainly be part of the play experience is also exploring the ruins of the ancient world and finding out what you can uncover there," Gonzalez teased. "If you're a story junkie, then one of the things that is sort of tantalizing for you is that this focus device that allows Aloy to study the machines also allows her to recover data from the ancient past. So you're going to be unearthing a lot of secrets, things that other people can't even know. It's just like totally lost data out there that you'll be able to recover and start to piece together. So I think maybe the promise of discovering more about that is one of the things that people haven't had a chance to really react to."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...ro-dawns-writer-answers-8-key-story-questions

Qvoth

i'd be surprised if you can tame more than 1 bot at a time, that would be a bit too OP imo especially multiple watchers?

I'm not even kidding when I say that I'm not even remotely interested in the story. I hope it's good and I hope it draws me in. But this is one of my most anticipated titles based entirely on the gameplay.

At the very least, the story should result in some pretty impressive environments to explore. But all I want to do is hunt some giant robo monsters, explore the world and get decked out in cool gear.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That quest quote sounds awesome. Really glad that's their philosophy.

This was one of the more shocking games of the show because it looks like it plays exactly how I hoped it would.

This game is the sort of concept that, given recent trends, seems like it could have wound up as an aimless survival game. The fact that it's a story driven RPG with a working ecosystem and dynamic combat is a dream come true.

I was down with this game the first time I saw it purely for the game design and art direction and I honestly couldn't have expected everything I have read this week.

The game sounds close to everything I want from a game, I'm really excited for this now.

Artdayne

I will be extremely surprised if Horizon has anything near the story that Witcher 3 does. Witcher 3 does not have the best gameplay, but it is fun gameplay, IMO. The combat is not as good as Dragon's Dogma or Nioh but it does have a rich open world with interesting characters and it puts your character in situations where you have to make difficult decisions that have a profound impact on the story. What makes it even more memorable is that those decisions are truly difficult. It's not difficult in the way that Bioware presents the "dark side" choices where you have to decide whether you really want to be a psychopath, they are difficult because you often never know whether your decision was the morally correct one.

I will be very surprised if Horizon has these things. It looks like a fun game but to think it's Witcher 3 with better gameplay is to really miss the mark on what Witcher 3 brings, as some people highlighted earlier.

Top Bottom