• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I will be extremely surprised if Horizon has anything near the story that Witcher 3 does. Witcher 3 does not have the best gameplay, but it is fun gameplay, IMO. The combat is not as good as Dragon's Dogma or Nioh but it does have a rich open world with interesting characters and it puts your character in situations where you have to make difficult decisions that have a profound impact on the story. What makes it even more memorable is that those decisions are truly difficult. It's not difficult in the way that Bioware presents the "dark side" choices where you have to decide whether you really want to be a psychopath, they are difficult because you often never know whether your decision was the morally correct one.

I will be very surprised if Horizon has these things. It looks like a fun game but to think it's Witcher 3 with better gameplay is to really miss the mark on what Witcher 3 brings, as some people highlighted earlier.

The Witcher 3's story was nothing to write home about, in fact it was pretty weak in parts. The presentation, characters, lore and so on was great but the story was pretty damn generic which was disappointing after the second game.

Artdayne

The Witcher 3's story was nothing to write home about, in fact it was pretty weak in parts. The presentation, characters, lore and so on was great but the story was pretty damn generic which was disappointing after the second game.

Calling it "generic" is laughable. There are so many moving parts in the Witcher 3 story that Witcher 2 isn't even comparable. The main storyline of 1 and 2 were stronger than 3 but Witcher 3 is about everything that happens in that world, it is an open world game afterall, unlike the other two. So it should be of no surprise that two games that are much more focused in design excel further in the main story.

HStallion

Calling it "generic" is laughable. There are so many moving parts in the Witcher 3 story that Witcher 2 isn't even comparable. The main storyline of 1 and 2 were stronger than 3 but Witcher 3 is about everything that happens in that world, it is an open world game afterall, unlike the other two. So it should be of no surprise that two games that are much more focused in design excel further in the main story.

So we agree the story was weak then? Having a ton of moving parts doesn't make it better and honestly my biggest issue with the story was how disjointed and random things felt. The best quests were barely related to the main story in a lot of cases.

Skittles

Sounds like the main char has an ability to scan the environment for lore, like in the metroid prime series. Oh yes, give it to me

Artdayne

So we agree the story was weak then? Having a ton of moving parts doesn't make it better and honestly my biggest issue with the story was how disjointed and random things felt. The best quests were barely related to the main story in a lot of cases.

Could you provide some examples of "disjointed" and "random" things you felt? Also, no, we do not agree. Witcher 3 has a great story, Witcher 2 happens to be even better.

Opinions, but I really disagree with this. Generic in comparison to what exactly because I can't think of many games with better stories. TW2 is one of the few games near it's level in that department. The difference between the two is that TW2 had a more intricate plot focused on politics, while TW3 was a character driven story. It may have been less complex, but it resonated with me just as much, if not even moreso.

Plus, Hearts of Stone is one of the best examples of storytelling in gaming history. Not to mention all the fantastic side stories. I haven't finished Blood & Wine yet so I can't comment on that, but by all accounts it seems to be another winner.

JBwB

Wow.

No. Just... no.

HStallion

Eh just felt the baddies were not worth the hype and were underwhelming and pretty one note, the chopping up Ciri's narrative didn't work for me either, the pacing was often all over the place etc. etc. I loved a lot of the characters, the world was great, the presentation was excellent but I found stuff like the Gwent tournament far more rewarding, well put together and even better written.

While I love the transition to open world it really hurt the story in my opinion. Though I don't think it would have been much better if it was linear.

Edit: haven't played the expansions yet but I heard a lot of promising things about Hearts of Stone.

And yeah getting off topic. I'll drop it.

Hmm, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but from how they talked about the story, feels like Horizon won't be a game with deep branching story choices, even at a quest level.

Which isn't a problem, but unlike other RPGs, it's definitely not selling any "your choice matters" stuff that other RPGs do.

Javin98

Banned
You w8, m8?

I think The Witcher 3 is slightly overrated on GAF*, but the story is its strongest suit by far.

*I really love the game, but for me, it's not GOAT material. Still easily a 9.6/10 game.

Zukkoyaki

I absolutely adore The Witcher 3 but if Horizon's gameplay is as strong as it seems based on footage and previews, I will probably enjoy it more.

On a personal level...

RPG with strong gameplay and decent story > RPG with meh gameplay and great story

HStallion

I'll just say I think people are reading my comments like I'm saying everything about the Witcher 3s story was bad. No the overall story was not to my liking but I loved a lot of the major side quests. Working out Dandelions love life was far far more interesting and enjoyable than another dour romp to stop the over armored ice elves.

Anyways let's get back to the topic at hand, robo dinos. I'm still wondering what the extent we can control them. I want my pet Thunder maw to ride and stomp things!

gamerMan

It's not just the story. Horizon Zero Dawn is not only poorly written but has laughable voice acting. It's a modern Shenmue. You cringe with each line delivered. Thankfully, the game looks more interesting than Witcher especially the combat.

HStallion

Love how The Witcher 3 story is being painted as generic in a Guerrilla Games thread.

The killzone stories were hot garbage on a whole other level after the first one. KZ3 had one of the most abrupt endings ever. Sorry didn't like the main arc of the W3, it did little for me. Loved the side quest stories a lot though. Loved that tower of rats.

The God

I will be extremely surprised if Horizon has anything near the story that Witcher 3 does. Witcher 3 does not have the best gameplay, but it is fun gameplay, IMO. The combat is not as good as Dragon's Dogma or Nioh but it does have a rich open world with interesting characters and it puts your character in situations where you have to make difficult decisions that have a profound impact on the story. What makes it even more memorable is that those decisions are truly difficult. It's not difficult in the way that Bioware presents the "dark side" choices where you have to decide whether you really want to be a psychopath, they are difficult because you often never know whether your decision was the morally correct one.

I will be very surprised if Horizon has these things. It looks like a fun game but to think it's Witcher 3 with better gameplay is to really miss the mark on what Witcher 3 brings, as some people highlighted earlier.

I wouldn't expect anything that's Bloody Baron-tier in Horizon tbh

But Horizon does look way better gameplay wise.

Killzone series has amazing lore, but they wasted it because each game focus too much on the special squads/soldier doing their mission plot instead of sometime take a step back and let the bigger picture unfold. I actually really enjoy the few time they move away from the main character in KZ3 and show cutscene with Helghast leader power struggle after Visari's death. but there's simply not enough of that.

HStallion

Killzone series has amazing lore, but they wasted it because each game focus too much on the special squads/soldier doing their mission plot instead of sometime take a step back and let the bigger picture unfold. I actually really enjoy the few time they move away from the main character in KZ3 and show cutscene with Helghast leader power struggle after Visari's death. but there's simply not enough of that.

Don't forget Rico. Everyone loved Rico.

Love how The Witcher 3 story is being painted as generic in a Guerrilla Games thread.

Why is The Witcher 3 being brought so much in this thread? You CD Projekt Red stans can't stand that someone might like another WRPG better? I'm a huge fan of TW3, but this looks MUCH more fun to play.

Elfstruck

It's seems like people are getting off topic too much. If you want to compare this to TW3, wait until this game releases and compare all you want in a different thread. It's rather laughable that people already talking down on the overall writing of this game based on a 5 min gameplay.

Artdayne

I wouldn't expect anything that's Bloody Baron-tier in Horizon tbh

But Horizon does look way better gameplay wise.

Quite possibly. She certainly moves more fluidly, and the mounted combat looked good. I have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of melee combat in the game. I'm sure I'll forget about it once I get my hands on the game.

Quite possibly. She certainly moves more fluidly, and the mounted combat looked good. I have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of melee combat in the game. I'm sure I'll forget about it once I get my hands on the game.

How exactly would you melee fight these huge robots with getting crushed? Attacking from a distance is the only thing that makes sense. I would not be surprised to see some additional melee options(I certainly did not expect to see a slingshot and it was well executed), but mostly for the smaller bots and human combat.

Artdayne

How exactly would you melee fight these huge robots with getting crushed? Attacking from a distance is the only thing that makes sense. I would not be surprised to see some additional melee options(I certainly did not expect to see a slingshot and it was well executed), but mostly for the smaller bots and human combat.

Idk, I fought Gorecyclops Condemned in Dragon's Dogma with melee weapons and did just fine. This is a video game, I can't help but think their answer that "melee combat would be impossible" (which you seem to be repeating) to be a cop out.

Idk, I fought Gorecyclops Condemned in Dragon's Dogma with melee weapons and did just fine. This is a video game, I can't help but think their answer that "melee combat would be impossible" (which you seem to be repeating) to be a cop out.

Who said melee combat is absolutely off the table? I'm just speculating because so far she tries to keep a safe distance during combat. I could see melee being used when the robots are tied down or incapacitated in some other way, but I don't see her walking to fight against one with a melee weapon as the first option unless in has an usually long reach.

The concept art shows them climbing on Thunderjaw to attack with a spear to maybe it might show up(in a very limited way).

Aloy jumps and rolls around the landscape with an agility and fluidity that is significantly different from the clunky combat of something like The Witcher 3.

The narrative can be completely shit now and i wouldnt care.

Majukun

it definitely was the game that interested me the most of the enitre sony conference,too bad i'lll not be able to play it

Why is The Witcher 3 being brought so much in this thread? You CD Projekt Red stans can't stand that someone might like another WRPG better? YI'm a huge fan of TW3, but this looks MUCH more fun to play.

"You CD Projekt Red stans"

Wow, that's real mature. Anyway, I have nothing against people liking things different than I. Someone referred to The Witcher 3's story as "generic", which I'm sure you, being a fan of the game, would not agree with, since storytelling is one of the strongest aspects and a highlight of the game.

About Horizon, it is my most anticipated game at the moment right alongside Spider-Man. I have great expectations from it, and if you want to trace my posts back to Horizon threads, you'd see nothing but praise and excitement. Just because I'm willing to point out an ignorant post doesn't make me a "stan". Neither did I bring up The Witcher 3 into this thread. I was merely replying to a post I deemed worth replying to. Also, I don't want to ruin the discussion thread, so I hope things are cleared up. Cheers.

Painting everyone with the same brush are we?

Nope, just directed at a certain post. Should have quoted it. My bad.

The killzone stories were hot garbage on a whole other level after the first one. KZ3 had one of the most abrupt endings ever. Sorry didn't like the main arc of the W3, it did little for me. Loved the side quest stories a lot though. Loved that tower of rats.

While the main story definitely had pacing issues, and it felt padded at certain times, generic is the last word I would use for it. Either way, I'm glad you enjoyed the side quests. Some of my favorite RPG quests, those.

Shin-chan

I don't think they will even try to capture the strengths of the Witcher 3s writing. That series is all about subverting fantasy tropes in a way that surprises the player. It's also got a pretty dark premise and revolves around fantasy politics.

Horizon is a much more whymsical and high fantasy set up, despite it being scifi. There aren't as many tropes to subvert and many of them already are in the worlds premise itself (humanity literally going back to the stone age apart from all of this crazy weird technology that roams the world).

I feel like as long as they make discovering the history of the world and the origin of these beasts interesting and well paced they can get away with a generic answer or two for the main plot. It's also clear that they're are building up to some event.

If anything the quality of the writing would hopefully be apparent in the side quests between various tribes because this is where they will be able to explore the various issues and complications that the people of the new world actually experience and the way they respond to them.

At the moment Witcher 3 level writing just isn't something I'm expecting out of the game because the tone is completely different and I don't think it would make a lot of sense for Horizon to feel like it narratively.

The Pope

Not debunked at all. One of Horizon's quest designers did indeed work on part of the Bloody Baron quest, the old lady's frying pan quest, among others.
The cinematic director when back to CDPR after 9 months. But that guy is still there at Guerrilla.

Off topic: Doesnt Guerrilla have two studios in Amsterdam.

Aloy did do a melee style lunging stab finisher on one of the smaller bots (that corrupted Watcher) in the demo in the conference. And earlier finished one off with like a staff-like weapon. That might show that their is some kind of limited melee when you're not using her bow or other long-range weapons, which will seemingly be her primary weapon.

Didn't she also use a sword to finish off that Watcher in the E3 2015 gameplay as well?

What the fuck? How does this sound so good?

Like, there is no way it is actually this good...

Man everything sounds like it's going in a direction I'd want. Full on hyped for this.
That #8 that they're not talking about yet with discovery in ruins and stuff sounds awesome as hell too.

I was down with this game the first time I saw it purely for the game design and art direction and I honestly couldn't have expected everything I have read this week.

The game sounds close to everything I want from a game, I'm really excited for this now.

Yeah. They said it would be this but seeing it coming together with all these features is fantastic.

Not sure if they will have another gameplay demo before release. But if they did, I hope they show one of the city/settlement of the tribe and introduce some of the important npc.

Maybe some advance melee combat as well since we know there are human enemies and I don't think they'll restrict you to only use ranged attacks with them.

The only thing left from my dream is if this game actually have climbing mechanic like climbing trees or that tall robot, as well as a branching story path mechanic. Although I'd be okay if the game didn't have those.

boskee

Not debunked at all. One of Horizon's quest designers did indeed work on part of the Bloody Baron quest, the old lady's frying pan quest, among others.

But he didn't write that quest. He was one of the people who helped implement it in the game.

Top Bottom