• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn E3 Previews and hands-on

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really do wonder the extent we can hack and control the dinos. I seriously want that giant bird or like a robo dragon. Mecha Smaugh that shoots lasers and missiles.

Guerrilla Games will show Horizon Demo played live :
ClBCSALWYAAn4eA.jpg

Forkball

The E3 demo was really impressive. Can't really say much about the quality of the open world gameplay or missions, but the combat looked exciting with a lot of options.

I will be extremely surprised if Horizon has anything near the story that Witcher 3 does. Witcher 3 does not have the best gameplay, but it is fun gameplay, IMO. The combat is not as good as Dragon's Dogma or Nioh but it does have a rich open world with interesting characters and it puts your character in situations where you have to make difficult decisions that have a profound impact on the story. What makes it even more memorable is that those decisions are truly difficult. It's not difficult in the way that Bioware presents the "dark side" choices where you have to decide whether you really want to be a psychopath, they are difficult because you often never know whether your decision was the morally correct one.

I will be very surprised if Horizon has these things. It looks like a fun game but to think it's Witcher 3 with better gameplay is to really miss the mark on what Witcher 3 brings, as some people highlighted earlier.

witcher 3 strenght is that his world building is coherent but also fun to explore. When you don't mind read letter from deceased character in order to find out things or when you're invested enough to look past what look obvious thanks to the numrous clues in text form ( because they are full of hints ) , then you're doing something right . From the IGn interview , horizon zero dawn plan to reach the same goal different means , and if they succeed, then it'll be great no doubt about it.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Quite possibly. She certainly moves more fluidly, and the mounted combat looked good. I have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of melee combat in the game. I'm sure I'll forget about it once I get my hands on the game.
I'm holding out hope for a giant Warhammer, axe and sword. I think it'd be a waste of an opportunity to not have those weapons. They could have a fairly simple moveset like the weapons in Nioh. I'm not asking for a character action game here just something to break the monotony of using the bow in 95% of the encounters.

I'm holding out hope for a giant Warhammer, axe and sword. I think it'd be a waste of an opportunity to not have those weapons. They could have a fairly simple moveset like the weapons in Nioh. I'm not asking for a character action game here just something to break the monotony of using the bow in 95% of the encounters.

Completely agree. I love what I've seen so far, but it would be disappointing if melee weapons were limited to takedowns.

It's main strength is looking to be combat so more variety definitely wouldn't hurt especially with how lengthy the game will probably be.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I hope there aren't any major branching story aspects. I've always hated that sort of thing. I like discovering the story, not writing it myself. Makes me feel like I'm missing content unless I replay a 100+ hour game several times over, which kills my motivation to play at all. Also makes me feel like the story doesn't matter if there's no "canon" path.

Hoping the dialogue branches are just to express personality, like in FFXIV.

Glad to hear that that they're going to show us the extended gameplay. I wish they would blow this game out though, and show us a bunch of aspects of the world, like the Zelda stream. Horizon is definitely my game of the show but it feels like its kinda getting ignored when looking at social media and journo buzz.

Edit: Why is so much in this thread about the Witcher...

Dunno if there are different melee weapons but I just listened to Colin's impressions and he said that R1 is light melee and R2 is strong melee. If they're dedicating two buttons for melee there's gotta be plans for it.

Shin-chan

Dunno if there are different melee weapons but I just listened to Colin's impressions and he said that R1 is light melee and R2 is strong melee. If they're dedicating two buttons for melee there's gotta be plans for it.
This sounds like the control scheme for God of War. Are you sure he wasn't talking about that?

Would love to have some melee options though. They will need to make sure they have a poise system like Dark Souls, or at least make sure enemies react to your hits appropriately.

Last year's reveal was cool and all but it was really important to me that it looked solid the second time around. And I'm glad to say Horizon is still one of my most anticipated games. Keep it up Guerrilla.

Everything about this game looks promising

I enjoyed my time with the Killzone series, but i really didnt think they had this in them

nothing beats robot dinosaurs. literally nothing

Alo0oy

Banned
This sounds like the control scheme for God of War. Are you sure he wasn't talking about that?

Would love to have some melee options though. They will need to make sure they have a poise system like Dark Souls, or at least make sure enemies react to your hits appropriately.

The Kinda Funny video talks about there being dedicated light and heavy attack buttons, so I'm pretty sure melee is more than stealth takedowns.

Shin-chan

The Kinda Funny video talks about there being dedicated light and heavy attack buttons, so I'm pretty sure melee is more than stealth takedowns.
Excellent, here's hoping it's satisfying and has a variety of weapon types and move sets. I'm not asking for Dark Souls but if the combat can feel great in melee it will elevate this game beyond how good it already appears.

yeah lets find ciri. how original

No need for bashing other games, Horizon looks great and yet comparing stories between an unreleased game and a more than a year old one is beyond pointless. Nobody knew how the story of Witcher 3 was before it's release and same is with Horizon.

Wollan

Interesting. Seems Horizon has an ensemble of composers and musicians:

Proud to confirm that #HorizonZeroDawn's score features talents of @jorisdemanmusic, @theflightmusic, @nielsvdleest & @julieelvenmusic 1/2

...We'll reveal more about our collaboration with these amazing artists in the coming months, so stay tuned! 2/2

Alo0oy

Banned
Kinda Funny ‏@KindaFunnyVids 5m5 minutes ago
Congratulations to @Guerrilla and Horizon Zero Dawn for winning our Best Game of E3 for the second year in a row!

And hopefully GAF's game of E3 for the second year in a row as well.

Interesting theory on reddit about the Killzone universe being connected with the Horizon universe. Lots of similarities between the robot designs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/co...et_in_the_killzone/?ref=share&ref_source=link

I just don't understand why people are grasping and far stretching so far away.

People see an easter egg : OMG it's the SAME WORLD AS THIS OTHER FRANCHISE
People see similar design (because, you know, artist touch) OMG IT'S CONNECTED WITH THIS OTHER FRANCHISE

Guerrilla is known for their industrial designers in their art team, it's always been their trademark and of course the robodino look the same material and colors as Killzone SF, because same artists, same engine (same material tech, same lightning tech), etc...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just don't understand why people are grasping and far stretching so far away.

People see an easter egg : OMG it's the SAME WORLD AS THIS OTHER FRANCHISE
People see similar design (because, you know, artist touch) OMG IT'S CONNECTED WITH THIS OTHER FRANCHISE

Guerrilla is known for their industrial designers in their art team, it's always been their trademark and of course the robodino look the same material and colors as Killzone SF, because same artists, same engine (same material tech, same lightning tech), etc...

No need for the tone, it's just interesting. Did you look at the link? I think the nature growing over what is very very similar to a robot from KZ is cool, that's all. It probably doesn't mean anything, but still interesting to point out.

I wish I hadn't seen the story trailer, because I felt the last scene was a bit spoiler-ish. Having read and watched all the previews, I'm glad GG were allowed to do a new IP, because this seems like it's going to be the next big WRPG franchise. Might just go on a media blackout after this E3.

Damn, this all sounds so good, almost too good to be true, hopefully the story and side quests will be as good as the gameplay seems to be, we will probably have a serious GOTY contender then!!

dcx4610

Blasphemy I know but I thought Horizon looked more interesting than Zelda. It had a unique feel to it and the gameplay looked fun.

Blasphemy I know but I thought Horizon looked more interesting than Zelda. It had a unique feel to it and the gameplay looked fun.

I think being on the Wii U severely hurts Zelda. Vast stretches of emptyness don't really help its case when Horizon looks extremely dense and beautiful. Hopefully the NX version is great looking.

Elfstruck

Both Zelda and Horizon look beautiful in different way. Each game has that unique element that makes the game stand out and I can't wait to get my hand on both.

a916

Colin is usually not one to fall for the hype. His thoughts on this game get me really excited.

He's very candid with his views, but he's also very strongly opinionated. What works for him might not work for you.

That said I'm hyped as hell for this.

I know there's crafting and such, but is there consumables as well? Food or some form of potions?

Both Zelda and Horizon look beautiful in different way. Each game has that unique element that makes the game stand out and I can't wait to get my hand on both.

Yup, can't wait for both of these.
But I agree with him Horizon is especially impressive that they somehow got it that dense and beautiful while performing as smoothly as it seemingly does.

Zukkoyaki

I've been seeing a lot of Zelda vs Horizon lately. When did this happen? Because I didn't see it last year.

Probably because they're two exceptional looking open-world games that happen to be premier exclusives for their respective platform holders...

This type of thing happens a lot unfortunately. I think the bloodiest incarnation was Resistance 2 vs. Gears of War 2 in 2008. Shit was UGLY.

Top Bottom