• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Love love LOVE the game.

In my opinion, best game on the PS4.

HOWEVER, one gripe that I hope the can fix or at least consider in HZ2.

Ok, you have access to 8 weapons roughly? I WANT to use all of them in battle. Pressing start, switching back to other weapons back and forth gets really annoying. So sometimes I just stick with weapons I have on me because I'm too lazy to swap them.

Wish they could do something about that. Maybe cut down the weapons, but have more ammo types? Dunno.

Carbonox

Is it recommended to buy merchant outfits and weapons when you come across them or do you find them/can you craft them? I have money to spare so I guess I should pick up the shit I like/want to use? Don't want to waste resources if I don't need to.

Rizific

Jesus Mary and Joseph, this game looks stunning and I'm playing on base ps4. But really though, is there no way to turn off rumble? I fucking hate when devs don't give the option to turn off rumble. WHY

Jesus Mary and Joseph, this game looks stunning and I'm playing on base ps4. But really though, is there no way to turn off rumble? I fucking hate when devs don't give the option to turn off rumble. WHY

Pretty sure you can do this in the settings for the console itself, it's under devices IIRC

jmaine_ph

Love love LOVE the game.

Ok, you have access to 8 weapons roughly? I WANT to use all of them in battle. Pressing start, switching back to other weapons back and forth gets really annoying. So sometimes I just stick with weapons I have on me because I'm too lazy to swap them.

Wish they could do something about that. Maybe cut down the weapons, but have more ammo types? Dunno.

I was having that issue to. Felt it broke immersion a little when I had to pause to change the weapon but I also love that different weapons use different arrows. I don't know the solution. Maybe a few types of weapons per weapon slot that you can cycle with the d pad? Idk.

Kin5290

I'll do different tags, so you decide what you want to know.

Mild ending spoilers:

Aloy gets a nice ending, it does come with a stinger that opens up the story for sequels, though they don't have to include Aloy for that. Her story is pretty much wrapped
They would seriously be shooting themselves in the foot if they
don't bring Aloy back in a sequel. Just from a brand management standpoint, Sony doesn't have Nathan Drake anymore and they're not going to throw away a perfectly good mascot who also happens to be a great character.

Exquisik

Love love LOVE the game.

I kind of like the fact that we're limited to the amount of weapons we can use at once, so that we are required to plan ahead rather than just overpowering everything. Kind of like Pokemon, we're only allowed 6 pokemons so we must set up the roster correctly before battling other trainers.

Wollan

For the last eight or so hours I feel like I have been playing the game of the generation.

The story beats from intro to 'the proving' to the open world has been the most amazing I've seen in years. The writing is sharp, there's been strong emotional moments and the story has already surprised me. Aloy has had the best introduction I've seen for any iconic character.

And the gameplay just rocks. It's deliciously responsive and so lean yet rich & flexible. They trimmed all the fat from the RPG elements and I love how the majority of the skill tree is actual abilities and not just a stats game. Crafting is ingrained in every fiber of this game and no mere side activity.

FeD.nL

They would seriously be shooting themselves in the foot if they
don't bring Aloy back in a sequel. Just from a brand management standpoint, Sony doesn't have Nathan Drake anymore and they're not going to throw away a perfectly good mascot who also happens to be a great character.

I agree.

Mild ending spoilers:

I was more talking about the fact that she gets a good and satisfying arc in this game that ties her story together. I fully expect them to use Aloy again.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Just started the game tonight, one quick question though - on difficulties above Normal are the machines' patrol path disabled? Can't find a way to turn it off in the menu. Apologies if this has already been answered, I did not see it in the OP and have not followed this thread very close until I got my copy of the game.

Just had a battle with a Thunderjaw, 3 Watchers, and 2 Glinthawks. Don't know how I survived, but I did; still couldn't kill the Tjaw which was the point, but Holy shit was the encounter intense! Of course my Pro didn't record any footage; would love to revisit that chaos again.

Carm

Question about bandit camps and the half circle ruins on the map. Do you get quests that send you to those or just tackle whenever you feel like it? Odd to see a level 25 bandit camp that close to the starting area and only a level 9 one on the way to the place the main quest sends you.

Also, exploring before that, I activated a quest earlier than I should have, apparently you get a quest to go there later, quest was straight north of the main starting area, at the very top of the map, near the half circles The Grave-Hoard place.

aristotle

Is it recommended to buy merchant outfits and weapons when you come across them or do you find them/can you craft them? I have money to spare so I guess I should pick up the shit I like/want to use? Don't want to waste resources if I don't need to.

I'm pretty damn sure you don't craft any weapons or outfits at all.

Also remember: every. single. weapon. has a tutorial. Free XP!

Exquisik

Just started the game tonight, one quick question though - on difficulties above Normal are the machines' patrol path disabled? Can't find a way to turn it off in the menu. Apologies if this has already been answered, I did not see it in the OP and have not followed this thread very close until I got my copy of the game.

I don't know about Normal since I'm playing on hard, but you have to activate the patrol path through your focus in order for it to appear. Don't know if you could completely turn it off though.

AEREC

Just had a battle with a Thunderjaw, 3 Watchers, and 2 Glinthawks. Don't know how I survived, but I did; still couldn't kill the Tjaw which was the point, but Holy shit was the encounter intense! Of course my Pro didn't record any footage; would love to revisit that chaos again.

What difficulty?

Zakalwe

Banned

You have to actively scan to see them, so if you don't want to you can just not do that.

slade

Put NiOh down to play this. I just got up to the first corrupted machine battle and already love this game. It helps that the story all of a sudden went from 'coming of age' to full blown sci-fi/fantasy.

Ending of the Proving was straight up like the Naruto Chunnin exams, bodies dropping left and right. Poor Vala, I wonder if she made it.

It could all go downhill but if it keeps up, it'll easily cement itself as one of the best story driven games of this gen.

I'm only about 8 hours in and this might be premature but fuck it (also Zelda around the corner):

This is the best game I've played this generation. I'm in love.

Mikey Jr.

I kind of like the fact that we're limited to the amount of weapons we can use at once, so that we are required to plan ahead rather than just overpowering everything. Kind of like Pokemon, we're only allowed 6 pokemons so we must set up the roster correctly before battling other trainers.

Yeah, but the game isn't locking me out of doing that. I would agree with you if pause didn't pause the game. But it does. I am not limited to my weapon wheel. I can use any of them in battle.

Its just that it takes extra steps to use the ones in my inventory.

In your pokemon analogy, this would be like having the PC with us in battle, you can still choose any other the 500 pokemon you have. Its just to choose one of the other 6, it takes some extra steps.

MotherFan

So other than resolution, what are the differences between prefer resolution and prefer performance? Which will look better on at 1080 tv?

Bombless

The game is amazing but...what's up with the fan going insane when on the map screen or when pausing the game? It's kinda scary. (On Pro)

Mikey Jr.

I was having that issue to. Felt it broke immersion a little when I had to pause to change the weapon but I also love that different weapons use different arrows. I don't know the solution. Maybe a few types of weapons per weapon slot that you can cycle with the d pad? Idk.

My opinion? Have every weapon on the weapon wheel. When you select that weapon, a prompt comes up showing the 3 ammo types. Pressing triangle, square, or circle selects that kind of ammo.

X would have to change though. Rather than having different parts for each ammo type be crafted, when you craft, it creates ammo for all ammo types for that weapon using 1 set of resources for that weapon.

Dunno, thats a hz2 feature though right now. Also maybe pause when you select weapons. Not sure why it has to be slomo.

TitusTroy

is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?

Loving the game so far, playing on VeryHard with no HUD is so good. I've just beaten the Sawtooth, it was extremely easy but I guess the best is yet to come.

Eklesp

New type of hovering beast.

C54Fwf-UsAETd8J.jpg

Mifune

Mehmber
Question about bandit camps and the half circle ruins on the map. Do you get quests that send you to those or just tackle whenever you feel like it? Odd to see a level 25 bandit camp that close to the starting area and only a level 9 one on the way to the place the main quest sends you.

Also, exploring before that, I activated a quest earlier than I should have, apparently you get a quest to go there later, quest was straight north of the main starting area, at the very top of the map, near the half circles The Grave-Hoard place.

If that's the quest I'm thinking of, it's tied to an item you find in the ruins.

Drewfonse

WTF This game is so fucking good

The whole time I'm playing this, I ask myself:

HOW

Man this game... I love Sony first party developers!

Incredible graphics. Wow! Feels like playing a PS5 game.

This game is amazing. That is all I have came here to say.

the combat is clicking and iam having a blast.

I'm only about 8 hours in and this might be premature but fuck it (also Zelda around the corner):

This is the best game I've played this generation. I'm in love.

Preach, brethren, preach.

This fucking game. It's been a while since a protagonist has been this appealing to me. The writing is really well done. The music is haunting. The world is just fantastic. What an amazing game.

Kept saying to myself while playing, "what a beautiful game"

MomoMura

love love love this. Just wish the UI was designed a bit better. I wish I didn't have to press start every time I wanted to switch suits/gear. And it's annoying using the D-pad options during a fight. But as someone else mentioned earlier, I guess the game wants you to prepare before hand rather than just go crazy during a fight?

Also, traps saves lives man. I love setting them down and luring enemies into them. Traps + tripset wires = OP play style

Only played about an hour in so i cant wait until the game opens up more, but i can already say from the little i have played the game is amazing. Seeing robots in the wild roaming is amazing.

Game's graphics look beautiful, absolutely stunning stuff!

It's a shame I can't seem to find any interest in playing it at all :(

I don't know why watching the footage of people playing this and the reviews just makes me ache for a game like Vanquish all the more.

tmac456

I've set the game to easy and I'll give it some more time. But I expected it to be more like TW3 where you're an unstoppable killing machine that slaughters everything in your path. I might end up selling the game again, but if so I'll just put the money towards Nier 2 (which also won't be as good as TW3).

That's why almost every game is not as good as The Witcher 3.

lol then the game definitely isn't for you. combat actually has some depth and challenge. you're not just gonna roll over every dino bot

In such a beautiful game, it's a real shame you can only see clearly when the camera is still.

I've never been hit this hard by motion sickness before. Not even two minutes in, and I had to stop to get some motion sickness medicine. I hope I can play this. Hopefully my brain and eyes have just been spoiled by Nioh and I'll get used to it.

Finally caught up to this thread. I read all 53 pages of it!

I managed to sink about 2 hours into this game after my kids went to bed. WOW, this game is amazing. Even after all the hype and expectations, it still manages to WOW me.

When GG logo first appeared on screen, my mind instinctively thought of Killzone. I can't be the only one that thought of this. GG did an AWESOME job with this game. Absolutely loved it.

Oxn

is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?

Maybe not better than Bloodborne (but who knows, im only 6 hours in), but definitely better that UC4 since thats a 7/10 game.

Tareskog

I'm about 11 hours in, and even though I am really enjoying it, I don't feel the same amount of worshipping as a lot of others. I think it may be a case of prisoners of the moment. But it is a solid game which I do not regret one bit spending money on. Thus far it is a solid 8/10 for me.

Oxn

I've set the game to easy and I'll give it some more time. But I expected it to be more like TW3 where you're an unstoppable killing machine that slaughters everything in your path. I might end up selling the game again, but if so I'll just put the money towards Nier 2 (which also won't be as good as TW3).

That's why almost every game is not as good as The Witcher 3.

Wait, your love of TW3 is the combat and being an unstoppable killing machine?

Da fukk?

It's hard to say. If the premise sounds interesting at all then I doubt anyone wouldn't have a good time playing this game. But yea, we'll have to wait for the honeymoon phase to be over to see how it stacks up.

About 5 hours into the game. But in the encyclopedia/index it shows the enemy variety? It's odd how they would just spoil all the enemies in the game like that? Are there more? Are there any surprises beyond that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom