• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbkdx12

Spent the afternoon hitting all the tallnecks and cauldrens and managed to get my golden fast travel

There's something special about going into uncharted territory and seeing robots that you haven't seen before and not knowing what they're capable off

It's even more special knowing you have the whole map revealed and can override all of them :)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
The leading walk-up to M
eridian
is the most breathtakingly, jawdroppingly, gorgeous thing I have experienced this gen.

What a fucking amazing area.

Just did my first Cauldron.

Loved it. A mix of stealth, in some cases I avoided a certain enemy entirely because I didn't feel I was ready. The last enemy -- Bellowback? or something like that -- was the most difficult enemy that I've fought so far. But that made it all the more satisfying to fell him.

Also, all the weapons have great uses. Regular bow? Sure, but it's weaker. That stronger bow? Sure, especially for that enemy, but less ammo, so prepare to craft more. Tying enemies down with rope? Great. Setting up wire traps? Great! Slings to electrify or freeze an enemy? Great! I don't feel like there's a worthless weapon.

Eklesp

Just did my first Cauldron.

Loved it. A mix of stealth, in some cases I avoided a certain enemy entirely because I didn't feel I was ready. The last enemy -- Bellowback? or something like that -- was the most difficult enemy that I've fought so far. But that made it all the more satisfying to fell him.

Also, all the weapons have great uses. Regular bow? Sure, but it's weaker. That stronger bow? Sure, especially for that enemy, but less ammo, so prepare to craft more. Tying enemies down with rope? Great. Setting up wire traps? Great! Slings to electrify or freeze an enemy? Great! I don't feel like there's a worthless weapon.

What level did you do the cauldron end at?

Nameless

After dicking around for 6-7 or so hours I finally
made my way to The Proving

fA3HldF.gif

X-Frame

Oh mama, playing on Very Hard and even if I'm a few levels below a large machine I get wasted in 2 melee hits. I love it. Makes perfect sense.

I need to remember to just lay down a shit load of traps and ropes when I go up against a large creature or else I'm done for.

is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?

I mean Uncharted 4 isn't that hard to beat aside from graphics. I'm only a few hours in and Horizon's story already seems more intriguing than Uncharted 4's ever was.

Anyways, I'm pretty early on so no idea where this will fall in my top games of the gen.(if it ends up doing so)

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Now picture that, but you're fighting 3 Fire Bellowbacks at once.

Picture that, but fighting 2 Tramplers.

Then after managing to kill 1, 3 Glinthawks show up.

Yeah.

hbkdx12

Best looking game ever? Yes, I think so.
Little Aloy adorable as hell? Yes, I think so.

Kid aloy is creepy as fuck

She's like a grown woman shrunk down to look like a kid. She doesn't look like a 6 year old at all and some of her facial animations are weird like in the happy birthday isaac scene

CHC

Yooooo the S
talker
robot "boss" is so amazingly good. Basically
Sniper Wolf
from MGS4 but even faster.

Wollan

That's what I thought. I told him there was no way I'm turning it off anyway. Just had to check, thanks man.
It looks wonderful in HDR.
It's the ideal HDR game due to the type of visuals the game has. It has a lot of color variety due to flora & fauna / tribal culture / sci-fi etc.. yet due to naturalistic scenery you have a lot of smooth gradients between colors and with the dynamic light/day/night and weather... it's the ideal HDR show-off in gaming.

But finding the wires to craft the arrows is such a hassle. I found myself buying them off merchants every now and then. Maybe it'll be more common later, but so far it's still kinda rare.

I use the physical protection one.

Rocking the elemental defenses right now but keep 1 of everything just in case.
Thanks to both of this. Been wearing the brave costume for a while so could use a change of wear.

Nice too see playstation japan promoting the game

I think that aspects of it -- story, Aloy, the streamlined/lean RPG mechanics, really interesting foes and difficulty -- are *really* resonating with people.

I freakin' love it. Gave it a 9.5 / 10 in my review and it's right up there with U4.
Which is insane given that it's a brand new IP for a developer that has no prior experience in making a game in this genre. Going from closed, setpiece-driven shooters to one of the best open world experiences in years is incredibly laudable.

OmegaDL50

I finally got my copy in the mail today after the shipping delay.

This truly one of the most graphically impressive games I have ever seen. The only other game I've played that is comparable in my opinion is The Witcher 3 on my PC with my GTX 1070 having it's settings at Ultra (including full Hairworks)

I am also incredibly impressed with the gameplay and lore from a developer who's only ever been known for a FPS series.

So for Guerilla to develop an Action RPG and making it so good for their first one even is an absolute marvel.

Considering the subtitle of the game is "Zero Dawn" I hope this implies they plan to expand the lore and have subsequent games.

As for me, I just finally got access to adult Aloy and am doing one of the earliest missions meeting and doing an errand for someone named Odd Gretta, ran into the woods got killed a bunch of Scrappers and ended up back at my first Campfire.

I will continue my quest and try to be more careful this time.

jdstorm

Banned
is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?

Leaving aside my personal distaste for Uncharted 4. This is comfortably one of the best games the PS4 has to offer.

Both the Uncharted Series/New Tomb Raider and Assasins Creed series owe their origins to the Prince of Persia series.

Assasins Creed focused on the open world colectathon trend and relies on wonderfully realised environments to establish a living breathing sense of place.

The Uncharted style games focus on linear writing and spectacular set pieces.

Horizon manages to bring these two divergent game asthetics together. Where it is primarily a linear game with focused writing and cool set pieces. However what elevates Horizon is that the open world allows for emergent set piece style gameplay thats fully player controled. Meaning each players aproach to the scripted scenario can occasionally vary

This increased player interaction is what elevates it above an uncharted type game

mandiller

I'm finding the combat pretty tough, especially when faced with multiple dinos. Are there any good tips you could share? I'm finding my spear does very little damage when trying to hit them so I almost exclusively use the bow (or electric trip rope at the start of the encounter). But the dinos run pretty fast so I can never keep good distance between me and them to use the bow. I'm useless at close range so I just roll around to get away and send a few arrows flying. It's pretty underwhelming so far.

hbkdx12

Anyone seen any actually differences/consequences from their dialogue choices other than a few potential dialogue changes down the line?

So far it doesn't seem like the head/heart/fist decisions really amount to much

I'm finding the combat pretty tough, especially when faced with multiple dinos. Are there any good tips you could share? I'm finding my spear does very little damage when trying to hit them so I almost exclusively use the bow (or electric trip rope at the start of the encounter). But the dinos run pretty fast so I can never keep good distance between me and them to use the bow. I'm useless at close range so I just roll around to get away and send a few arrows flying. It's pretty underwhelming so far.

Prep like batman.
Sometimes is best to run, I've come across several new dinos that I want to engage in battle with but they always roll deep.. so I be like nope.

Concentration skill is a must.

Radec

Just finished the proving and fought a corruptor. That thing hits like a truck. And I'm wearing the dlc armors which are pretty advantageous so far.

reKon

Banned
should I bother with this pre order armor? I kind of hate being "awarded" for shit like this. It's almost like cheating, lol. I didn't do anything skill wise in game to earn this. How about give me a 15% discount for a towards a future digital purchase of the game?

Wollan

The armors in this game really need a "hide headgear" option.
Haha YES. Guerrilla, listen to this man.

I was just thinking that playing through the first eight hours.
I would on purpose several times change out of my heavily armored/concealing pre-order suit whenever I suspected a story beat was incoming. Aloy is just too interesting to miss.

And remove the 'Performance mode' while you're at it. It has no real value (negative value even) and just confuses people.

It's been my major dilemma.

Stats or fashion? Damn it.
Fashion>all. Always, always, always.
Yooooo the S
talker
robot "boss" is so amazingly good. Basically
Sniper Wolf
from MGS4 but even faster.
Seriously. I had so much fun playing an advanced game of hide and seek.

Haha YES. Guerrilla, listen to this man.

I was just thinking that playing through the first eight hours.
I would on purpose several times change out of my heavily armored/concealing pre-order suit whenever I suspected a story beat was incoming. Aloy is just too interesting to miss.

And remove the 'Performance mode' while you're at it. It has no real value and just confuses people.
Actually, the Pro's fan are less noisy in performance mode.

hbkdx12

Invest in the best sharpshot bow that you can, as soon as you can. It gives you access to tear arrows. You basically want to start all encounters with a few tear arrows depending on how big the beast is/how many components they have

Use your trip caster to set shock tripwires before the fight. Doing it in the middle of the encounter can be a pain particularly if you're being mobbed

Always be moving and always be rolling

Use your ropecaster to tie down the most intimidating beast and then focus on the rest. They will stay tied down for 90 seconds or until you hit them, whichever comes first.

How do you get the Sawtooth Heart? I just killed one and it didnt drop. Don't tell me this is RNG...

Pretty sure
it's RNG

Splinter

How does this game compare to The Witcher 3? As far as map size, density, atmosphere, side quests, main quests, population, etc? I loved TW3 mainly because I felt like I was living a separate life within the game, everything felt so "alive." The characters had connection, the towns and cities felt bustling, there was so much to do that I don't think I'll ever completely finish it. I particularly enjoyed how large the map was, it just felt more real knowing I was traveling around that huge map.

Boss Man

So uh, I canceled my pre-order for this game a while back. Not for any particular reason other than I feel like a chump paying full price for games and I already have a backlog.

But like, this game looks good as hell. Is it good as hell?

Here's a quick question:
What's the loot system like? Are there like, a bunch of different bows and body armors and do they all look different when worn? Or is it something else?

ryseing

So uh, I canceled my pre-order for this game a while back. Not for any particular reason other than I feel like a chump paying full price for games and I already have a backlog.

But like, this game looks good as hell. Is it good as hell?

Here's a quick question:
What's the loot system like? Are there like, a bunch of different bows and body armors and do they all look different when worn? Or is it something else?

It isn't randomized loot- it's set upgrades on existing weapons/armors. There's a modification system where you can add +6% damage or whatever.

They do all look different, yes.

Is there any reason to hunt animals? Like the Boars and Turkeys.

I've collected some Meat because I thought there would be some survival aspects to the game since you are a hunter and all, but it doesn't seem like you need to eat or anything.

I guess it's probably for trading and crafting later on?

Potions/occasional upgrades/fast travel packs if needed.

OmegaDL50

I've collected some Meat because I thought there would be some survival aspects to the game since you are a hunter and all, but it doesn't seem like you need to eat or anything.

Use heavy melee attack, it's quite useful to pin down enemies, and deals way more damage than light attack. The best time to use it is when you've just dodged an attack.

Also as mentioned above,preparation is key here. Look your surroundings first before engaging. You have more in your pockets other than your bow and spear, utilize them.

Yes. You'll need meats, skins, and bones to upgrade your bags/pockets/quivers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom