• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I hate about this game is that it's almost too good
VMKPi8z.jpg

is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?
i dont care to qualify things like BEST GAME OF THE FOREVER

but if you like standard open world games you'd probably like this game

if you don't you might tolerate it since it cuts most of the bloat

the combat is probably the most interesting thing to me so far, it's simple, it's hard and stealth only really works against lower tier smaller bots
human enemies are garbage
but more complex bigger robos are tough, engaging and fun

thats just me though, so far

is the game really that good or are people being prisoners of the moment?...best game of this generation?...better then Bloodborne?...Uncharted 4?

Given that I'm still playing, tentatively, the answer is yes to both and I say that as someone who loves both those games.

Horizon for me is really just great execution on a good set of ideas combined with some excellent combat and monster design. It has a lot of things that I love. The world design is dense and compact, so much so that I don't even want to use mounts. The writing is great, the story is intriguing, Aloy is a great character, the graphics are phenomenal, the music is excellent and so on and so on.

This is simply an extremely polished title that knows what it wants to do and does it great.

Carm

If that's the quest I'm thinking of, it's tied to an item you find in the ruins.

Didn't want to get specific but it definitely comes from the main hub, I'm guessing, city. The quest is called A Moment's Peace. I was just surprised it would activate before getting it from the npc, instead of stumbling into the area as I did.

Question for anyone , with pics to make the question more clear. The two map icons below, can you tackle them whenever you run into them, or do quests take you to them?

https://i.imgur.com/cdR822v.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sAjmdof.jpg

Wollan

I love how holding R2 to pull bowstring all the way gives ~equal damage to rapidly firing it. Assuming you hit the same spot that is. The trade-off being that it starts to curve in random directions. As the enemy gets closer I gradually try to imitate Legolas with some fun results.

Exquisik

Finally caught up to this thread. I read all 53 pages of it!

I managed to sink about 2 hours into this game after my kids went to bed. WOW, this game is amazing. Even after all the hype and expectations, it still manages to WOW me.

When GG logo first appeared on screen, my mind instinctively thought of Killzone. I can't be the only one that thought of this. GG did an AWESOME job with this game. Absolutely loved it.

But this thread is 106 pages, you're still missing another 53 pages.

It's good, but not THAT good. Isn't that always the case with new games that just came out? It's the honeymoon period, wait until people dig deeper.

wapplew

Nah, it's a solid mix of many open world RPG elements, trimmed and polished, with unique world and great plot, well pace, good characters, enemy design and awesome combat as backbone.
Some easy fix to make Horizon 2 game of the generation.

I think that aspects of it -- story, Aloy, the streamlined/lean RPG mechanics, really interesting foes and difficulty -- are *really* resonating with people.

I freakin' love it. Gave it a 9.5 / 10 in my review and it's right up there with U4.

I am nearly finished the main quest, still have tons of side stuff, have put over 30 hours in since Friday and I still love everything about the game. I've found the combat to only get better as things have gone on too.

BumRush

Too early to tell for me - only 4 hours in - but it's a special fucking game. The combat feels really tight and of course it's a beaut.

hbkdx12

Precision arrows from the Sharpshot bow
lawd.png

So useful against higher level dinos.

With the exception of the tear arrow, i find the other arrows for the sharpshot to be kind of crappy. I only really use the precision arrow for headshots on bandits.

It really irks me that i'm wasting 2 weapon slots on two different bows

Basketball

different kind of games

overall I don't think it's better than bloodborne + dlc

but you would be a gigantic dumbass if you own a ps4 and have not tried this game.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is this armor the best the game has to offer? Trying to figure out if it's worth investing in:

There's some crazy high tech looking armor that you need 7 or 8 Power Cells to unlock in some Bunker. I'd imagine that must be better.

Precision arrows from the Sharpshot bow
lawd.png

So useful against higher level dinos.

But finding the wires to craft the arrows is such a hassle. I found myself buying them off merchants every now and then. Maybe it'll be more common later, but so far it's still kinda rare.

Yes to both of this. Anyway, what armor sets are you guys using? Do you keep one of everything?

I use the physical protection one.

Slaythe

This is sterile.

Just like comparing UC4 and Bloodborne. Different types of games. Your personal preferences will dictate which is better.

But Horizon is definitely up there with them as every aspect of it is so polished and incredible.

It's a great game. One of the best thanks to its execution. Isn't that enough ?

CHC

OH

MY

GOD

There's a random NPC voiced by Doug Cockle (Geralt)! I did a damn triple take when I heard that voice. Amazing....

Bucca

Trying to craft ammo for the Sharpshot bow is a pain in the fucking balls, man.

The biggest pain coming from never having enough Wire on hand. Ugh.

The day cycle in this game is really weird. It can change from setting to another in sometimes a matter of seconds. I wish it had a proper 24hr day cycle like other open world games.

Bucca

Has anyone playing on ps4PRO noticed how the fan goes jet mode when viewing the map?

Yeah.

It ramps up significantly as soon as I open it, and then will die down as soon as I close it.

I really dislike this.

People cant never just really love a game anymore.
Well then I can only speak for myself. I gave an example in this thread before, I was so convinced Far Cry Primal was one of the best games ever because the prehistoric open world setting was unlike anything I've played before. But once I played through half the game, the repetitiveness set in; two third into the game, couldn't stand it anymore.

I hope the same won't happen with HZD, I don't know, I'm only 10% into the game and I imagine a lot of us are just starting the game too. So let's not jump to conclusion and call it GOTG just yet. A more well-informed opinion is all I'm asking for. If you already finished the game and you really love it, I'm not saying you are wrong for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom