• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jony_m

I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Pro over the weekend, what can I expect besides super sampling (SSAA)?

edit: LMAO, literally ready the first post.

Why are people saying to play on Very Hard? Is Normal really that easy? Or is it just a matter of smarter AI on the harder difficulties?

I'm not exactly a fan of the frustrations of failure that come with more challenging difficulties.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
As a sidenote:

I've played for more than 20 hours so far, and I don't think I'm even at the halfway point.

Been doing quite a few sidequests, but not all of them. Playing on hard difficulty.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people saying to play on Very Hard? Is Normal really that easy? Or is it just a matter of smarter AI on the harder difficulties?

I'm not exactly a fan of the frustrations of failure that come with more challenging difficulties.

Not really.

Yeah, you can switch. Not a perfect answer, but I found Normal to be legitimately challenging (at times, frustrating and hard) front to back. Really great balance, kind of a rarity today.

I'm going to start a Very Hard playthrough specifically looking for a Soulsborne experience.

Just personal preference/skill level like most games with difficulty option. I'll play on normal (as usual for me) as I mostly want to soak up exploring the world and the story.

Drewfonse

Just realized that EU release date is weirdly 1st, Wednesday. Kinda nice considering it's earlier than Friday, but still frustrating that can't get copies tomorrow.

Edit: Kinda amazing how few have seen maxed out TW3 on PC. Horizonlooks nice, but TW3 still looks fucking amazing too.

Nice? You have really, really high standards.

Tovarisc

To be fair I have just watched streams, but at least early game is very easy when game is on Very Hard.

Welp Tecnniqe has already ruined this thread.

Nah. Should he drop it? Maybe, but not one who started mud throwing about graphics topic.

Nice? You have really, really high standards.

My experience is through compression of youtube and twitch so raining it in. Forests and lightning is really well done tho, as far I can tell. There is obvious rough spots.

tdrdrgn

Are there any good videos/articles out there for "things you really need to do early on to make the game better" or "things the game doesn't tell you that are really useful"?

Preferably spoiler free.

I haven't watched any videos due to spoilers but one thing Ive noticed through playing is that charging bow shots do not increase range/velocity or apply extra damage( im not sure on the damage). They don't really tell you ingame so your gonna have to experiment but, all it seems to do is effect accuracy. Kinda weird since you'd think drawing back your bow would make your arrows hit harder and faster.

First impressions: reminds me a lot of the recent Tomb Raider games in the gameplay department. The gathering, hunting and general feel of movement is very similar. That's no bad thing though, I really liked those games.

Visuals are stunning. With the exception of some very noticable LOD fade-in on larger rocks etc. It's thankfully not something that's constantly visible, but seem to affect specific geometry.

The audio is really good, but I've had the BGM suddenly drop out a couple times already. A bit odd considering I've played for maybe an hour, and you'd think the early part was seriously tested. It thankfully comes back on just as quickly though, and seem to be caused by a transition or track-change.

Mifune

Mehmber
To be fair I have just watched streams, but at least early game is very easy when game is on Very Hard.

Nah. Should he drop it? Maybe, but not one who started mud throwing about graphics topic.

Tecnique said that he probably won't even play the game so what's the point of even acknowledging him in the OT of said game.

Taggen86

Got the game today and it looks incredible on my oled. The game looks softer than native 4k but with all the details and the excellent art design it looks almost as good as witcher in ultra and 4k on pc (not as sharp though). Impressive for a 400 dollar box. However I cannot imagine how good horizon would look and play in native 4k, with higher res textures and in 60 fps. Too bad guerilla is 1nd party and the game is not available on pc...

Alej

Banned
Seriously, a console game in 2017, running on a mid to low tier toaster from 2012, is crushing everything on the console market, tech and art wise, in 2017.

Dat shitty tablet CPU is serving crows. A million posts from 2013 to 2014 just looked dumb the second Horizon appeared on the radar.

It is a bigger improvement than PS3 gen got.

Mupod

Well as a big Monster Hunter fan this game mainly caught my eye early on because it reminded me of that, and so I've had a preorder from the instant it was available. But the more I look into recent impressions the more disappointed I become. Especially with regards to anything to do with human enemies and Far Cry.

Still keeping my preorder because $49 for a new release in Canada is too good to pass up and I am still interested. What kind of effect does turning up the difficulty have on the gameplay? Just straight health/damage modifiers? Do enemies fight differently at all? I was really impressed by that first video they showed of fighting the T-Tex Zoid and I just want to experience something like that.

vpance

Seriously, a console game in 2017, running on a mid to low tier toaster from 2012, is crushing everything on the console market, tech and art wise, in 2017.

Dat shitty tablet CPU is serving crows. A million posts from 2013 to 2014 just looked dumb the second Horizon appeared on the radar.

Coding to the metal! 😎

hydruxo

Well as a big Monster Hunter fan this game mainly caught my eye early on because it reminded me of that, and so I've had a preorder from the instant it was available. But the more I look into recent impressions the more disappointed I become. Especially with regards to anything to do with human enemies and Far Cry.

Still keeping my preorder because $49 for a new release in Canada is too good to pass up and I am still interested. What kind of effect does turning up the difficulty have on the gameplay? Just straight health/damage modifiers? Do enemies fight differently at all? I was really impressed by that first video they showed of fighting the T-Tex Zoid and I just want to experience something like that.

Human enemies in this game are really more there to compliment the robot dinos than anything else so I don't think their incompetence is a huge deal (at least not to me). Also, the game director of HZD said on twitter a few days back that they are investigating the poor human AI so hopefully that'll be one of the first things they tweak in the next patch.

And yes, difficulty is essentially just a change in health/damage modifiers. Robots have the same movesets regardless of difficulty.

I know this isn't the right thread for this (as review thread was locked), but how often to EDGE reviews get counted on Metacritic? Because I swear it's normally counted on major releases but for some reason not on HZ's review?

mauaus

Man i wish this would unlock a couple of hours earlier. Might just play tomorrow instead.
Lol, no im gonna play and gonna be a zombie at work tomorrow

I think people just underestimated the benefit of developing on one platform and the talent of a studio like GG.

my amazon copy hasn't shipped yet. The game is supposed to come tomorrow. Should I be worried? I was charged hours ago. All it says is, "preparing to ship"

Stiler

Photogrammetry looks always pretty generic realistic however. Horizon Zero Dawn isn't going for realism, it's stylized, a piece of art.
I am glad they didn't go for a super realistic look but instead for these exaggerated sceneries and brilliant colors.

Err, what? Photogrammetry has nothing to do with one art style or another, it just uses real physical objects and translates them into a high fidelity 3d model that offers quicker/better detail then what an artist could do in that time.

On top of this they still use an artist to tweak things and could easily alter or add something to said model.

For example, they could use it on Aloy's clothing/weapons , using real world materials and then have an artist change coloring and add flair to it, the use of photogrammetry would just allow for more tiny minute detail and things in the object, it doesn't restrict it to one "art" style or something. Same goes for objects in the environment, from trees/rocks/foliage, buildings and other things.

They use a lot of real world inspiration in Horizon, lot of Tundra environments among other real-world biomes for their world building, rocks, trees, plants, etc. .

fastmower

Got the game today and it looks incredible on my oled. The game looks softer than native 4k but with all the details and the excellent art design it looks almost as good as witcher in ultra and 4k on pc (not as sharp though). Impressive for a 400 dollar box. However I cannot imagine how good horizon would look and play in native 4k, with higher res textures and in 60 fps. Too bad guerilla is 2nd party and the game is not available on pc...
What effects or details do you think TW3 does better? I see people compare this game to TW3 a lot - but I just don't see it. For the record, I played TW3 at 1440p all ultra settings.

The game looks so beautiful that the lack of effects with water becomes glaring. That's my sole criticism with the graphics.

Can live with the non-interaction with most of the foliage

Elfstruck

Got the game today and it looks incredible on my oled. The game looks softer than native 4k but with all the details and the excellent art design it looks almost as good as witcher in ultra and 4k on pc (not as sharp though). Impressive for a 400 dollar box. However I cannot imagine how good horizon would look and play in native 4k, with higher res textures and in 60 fps. Too bad guerilla is 2nd party and the game is not available on pc...

Guerilla is not 2nd party. lol

GG is 1st party not 2nd .

vpance

What effects or details do you think TW3 does better? I see people compare this game to TW3 a lot - but I just don't see it. For the record, I played TW3 at 1440p all ultra settings.

Doesn't TW3 have artificial sharpening? Sounds like he prefers that effect.

I think a Reddit community can really add to a game and the Horizon subreddit seems poorly managed and doesn't know what it takes to foster a social subreddit.

An announcement thread telling people to stop posting about their copies of the game they received and instead to post inside that thread seemed unnecessary aggressive.

And the style of the subreddit is so bleh. I'm surprised devs don't have an internal person in charged of reaching out to subreddits to help them out and give tips.

N° 2048

I think a Reddit community can really add to a game and the Horizon subreddit seems poorly managed and doesn't know what it takes to foster a social subreddit.

An announcement thread telling people to stop posting about their copies of the game they received and instead to post inside that thread seemed unnecessary aggressive.

And the style of the subreddit is so bleh. I'm surprised devs don't have an internal person in charged of reaching out to subreddits to help them out and give tips.
Just checked out the Horizon Reddit....eeshh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom