• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

I'm around level 33 now, 30 hours in, haven't even reached Meridian yet. Just roaming around and doing side quests. I've been mostly having a lot of fun doing just that, but it changed now. I'm low on resources, and this is where I fear the game might begin leaning towards a grind. There are some aspects in the game that slow it down and not in a good way for me. I am constantly, constantly picking up twigs and herbs and killing rabbits because I'm afraid of running out. I also don't use the mounts because I know that I'll need to constantly get off it to pick something up. And it's also becoming a tad difficult just walking around because there seem to be enemies everywhere, all the time. Sometimes I still manage to avoid them, but I feel that their aggro range is a bit too stifling for just leisure traveling in the world.

I think I'll start heading towards Meridian finally under the hope that somehow my ammo problem will solve itself. But I doubt it, and I'm not really sure what to do about it now because I don't want to go out on a task to fight non-stop just to restore my supplies. I'm at a point where I want to avoid big fights for the wrong reasons - they're fun, but right now they'll probably just drink up all my resources and will ultimately not be worth it.

Make sure to open resource boxes. You can get one for free from most (all?) merchant(s) as well. Most quests reward you with a box. I have a ton, because I never really had a resource problem (I used normal hunting arrows for a huge portion of the game).

I'm around level 33 now, 30 hours in, haven't even reached Meridian yet. Just roaming around and doing side quests. I've been mostly having a lot of fun doing just that, but it changed now. I'm low on resources, and this is where I fear the game might begin leaning towards a grind. There are some aspects in the game that slow it down and not in a good way for me. I am constantly, constantly picking up twigs and herbs and killing rabbits because I'm afraid of running out. I also don't use the mounts because I know that I'll need to constantly get off it to pick something up. And it's also becoming a tad difficult just walking around because there seem to be enemies everywhere, all the time. Sometimes I still manage to avoid them, but I feel that their aggro range is a bit too stifling for just leisure traveling in the world.

I think I'll start heading towards Meridian finally under the hope that somehow my ammo problem will solve itself. But I doubt it, and I'm not really sure what to do about it now because I don't want to go out on a task to fight non-stop just to restore my supplies. I'm at a point where I want to avoid big fights for the wrong reasons - they're fun, but right now they'll probably just drink up all my resources and will ultimately not be worth it.

Use mounts (to avoid needless fights) and focus on grabbing resources only when you get to the destination. Also, get prize box when you talk to a merchant (and not only once), loot dead bodies and get the abilities that gives you more resources. I guess you should be fine.

GlamFM

Banned
Stupid question (?)

I want to platinum this game, but most trophies I´m missing are hidden.

Is it safe to look them up or will I be spoiled?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Stupid question (?)

If they're hidden, they're story related. You should finish the story first and do as many side quests and crafting/weapon upgrading as you can. Once the story is finished, you can safely scout online for exact descriptions and how to's.

Stupid question (?)

You cannot miss anything don't worry.

Finish all side quest, clear all collectable, kill every type of machines.

Finish the game.

If you still miss some stuff, look for the trophies.

No difficulty related trophies and nothing you can miss don't worry.

Super easy platinum to get

Facism

Gold Member
You and me and few guys here. Hope they patch that soon

I can't seem to do the
Death from the skies sidequest atm. It says "quest is paused".
Can anyone help?
Edit : Nvm I think I figured out what's going on

you've likely have a main mission at the same location. The sidequest will resume after you complete said main mission.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Is backlight completely turned up? I know it may sound like a silly question, but it is a legit one I assure you.

Maybe adjust your gamma or other options in game?

It's not that.

Just did some research. HDR picture quality depends highly on peak brightness and black levels.

My unit doesn't even reach UHD standards for picture quality.

UHD Alliance states that to get proper HDR your set needs to reach a minimum black level of 0.05 units and at least 1000 units peak brightness. My set only goes down to 0.80 and up to 400-ish respectively.

The colour gamut is wider but the image itself is a weak fart.

I knew I should have gone with the 930D.

Fuck...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man these bandit camps give A LOT of xp huh?

Kazdane

So, am I doing something wrong, or do the
hunting grounds
missions always remain active? I've completed the 3 challenges of the first one, got the 3
blazing suns
, but the mission is still showing as active rather than completed (even though it was my active mission at the time).

Wollan

Even if you finish the game you will still have a chance past the ending to continue. After the credits, the game jumps back to prior to the last mission + you get to keep the XP from the last mission.

There are no miss-able trophies in this game. And no difficulty-based trophies.

This is how trophies should be done. Please repeat this for Horizon 2 Guerrilla. It's perfect.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
More like a lot of shards . I'd clear corrupted zones or trials if I want to level up quickly =)

Speaking of shards, does this game follow the rule that "merchant items are shit compared to looted/quest reward items" ?

Undecided on splurging on a Nora protector outfit.

Zakalwe

Banned
Speaking of shards, does this game follow the rule that "merchant items are shit compared to looted/quest reward items" ?

Undecided on splurging on a Nora protector outfit.

Buy what you want, imo, it's not like shards are rare.

Also sell /everything/ marked as '/sell/trade to merchant' aside from the specific components you need for specific items. There's literally no point gaming on to 90% of this stuff.

You'll have plenty of shards if you do.

Also sell all green/blue mods after a certain point, too.

darkwing

going to a quest area, found a robotic herd, then chased a fox and a goose

30 minutes later, still haven't reached the quest area

I'm never going to finish this game

you've likely have a main mission at the same location. The sidequest will resume after you complete said main mission.
Yup I figured that out after reading the quest description. Will be more careful in the future.

Lol same thing happened to me this morning. Wanted to do a main quest but got roped into trials for an hour or so

Valonquar

Just finished getting Platinum. The only thing I looked up online was the location for the 23 training dummies. Everything else I found just through exploration. Surprised there wasn't trophies for fully upgrading everything, or finding all datapads/books/etc.
Already pretty sure I'm going to do a new game and choose every asshole option, just because it's the Mass Effect thing to do.

Paganmoon

Yea a lot of things are just confusing, I'm around 50 hours now and I still learn new things everyday.

Look at the weapons as just the basic uses/effects (fire, freeze, shock, corruption, tear, damage) + ropecaster as an exception. All weapons center around those but it depends on the amount of impact and the one you like to use, do you like to fire arrow or use slang fire bombs? They are all fire but it depends on your preference. I also use ropecaster mainly to tie big machines. I only use the tripcaster before I engage in a battle, temporarily. During the battle I have the 2 bows the one with tearblast (sharpshot) and the default bow (hunter), ropecaster, and the sling.

Also a pro tip in case some weapons didn't make it clear, if ammo needs blaze that means its fire, if needs chillwater then its freeze, and sparker means shock

Ahh, so you can set up with the tripcaster, and switch it out from your weaponwheel before the fight, without loosing the tripwires? I sort of just assumed they'd dissapear if I did that.

Dude spend up those points! So many useful perks to be had, you really can't go wrong.

It's one of the most impressive aspects of the game, for me. All of the perks I've taken have been good, and the rest of them at least look useful, I think. None are obviously weak or pointless or should be avoided.

That's the thing, non are obviously weak, so I can't decided what to get :)

benzy

hkyzbk.gif

X-Frame

I currently have all Damage mods in my Hunter bow so that Hardpoint arrows hurt a lot and I maintain the higher Handling -- but I am considering swapping to max Tear for Hunter bow (Hardpoint) and then putting max Damage in the Sharpshot bow.

That should really increase the burst damage of Precision arrows and since I can Triple arrow I can get around the lower Handling.

Does anyone run that load out? I don't know then if the Tearblast (without loading with Tear mods) will be able to one-shot the Disc launchers. Need to experiment!

SubbieD

Wow this released? So now I know what it feels like to be swamped with work.

I'm getting a weird AF vibe from Metacritic, so a yay or nay? I adored Witcher 3, loved Mafia 3 too :p

platocplx

This is literally me every time i boot up. Its SO easy to just get lost and explore in this game.

I love the bandit camps i encountered my first one and it was so much fun just picking dudes off in stealth.

I probally wont be even going to meridian for a while so much to do in the first area lol.

So I wasn't really following or hyping this game at all. After the last Killzone I didn't have much faith in Guerrilla . After seeing all the positive reviews I impulse bought the CE at BB When I went to pick up my Doctor Strange 3D steelbook. Glad I did, I am really enjoying it... so much so that it even but Zelda on the back burner. PS4 is really showing its worth this year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I currently have all Damage mods in my Hunter bow so that Hardpoint arrows hurt a lot and I maintain the higher Handling -- but I am considering swapping to max Tear for Hunter bow (Hardpoint) and then putting max Damage in the Sharpshot bow.

That should really increase the burst damage of Precision arrows and since I can Triple arrow I can get around the lower Handling.

Does anyone run that load out? I don't know then if the Tearblast (without loading with Tear mods) will be able to one-shot the Disc launchers. Need to experiment!

I run a somewhat similar setup:

I have all my max purple damage mods applied to the shadow hunter bow. 3x notched hard point arrows do a shit ton of damage, I've seen it do 750+ on a thunder jaw, might have been a critical hit.

I have all my purple tear mods applied to shadow sharpshot bow and use it mostly for its Tear arrows. Seems to wreck robot butts fairly quickly if i need to de-armor them.

Sharpshots are a bit slow so I use them mostly for precise tearing. Hunter bows are considerably faster so I use them for my DPS needs. At the point I am, I'm literally rolling in shards and ropes which are needed to make hardpoint arrows. I have well over 1800 ropes and 30000 shards so absolutely no need to be thrifty even if I'm not nailing every single shot.

Prototype

After you learn to override/ mount enemies I was really disappointed that not a single NPC said anything about it. Like it was no big deal, even tho up to that point in the game the machines are made out to be this terrible menace that destroys villages and they need to be respected, ect yadayadaya

Aloy comes riding in on a strider, not a single NPC so much as bats a fucking eyelid. Not a single person says anything at all about how she did it, what her power is, anything.

For a game with this much love and attention to detail in it, this was really -really- stupid to me.

Other than that, it's been a pretty fun action RPG.

Arklite

Aloy comes riding in on a strider, not a single NPC so much as bats a fucking eyelid. Not a single person says anything at all about how she did it, what her power is, anything.

For a game with this much love and attention to detail in it, this was really -really- stupid to me.

More importantly, the Carja did comment on my fabulous Carja styled outfit, though.

Ahgod

Neo Member
Stupid bugbear but I wish they would patch out the menu music.

YES. This is not stupid, it's crazy how often you need to go into the menu to swap gear and outfits and do inventory management and check the map and quests. Having the music restart every time and abruptly turn off the environmental sound effects is really jarring and annoying. One of my biggest issues with this game so far (because this game is so damn good).

Zakalwe

Banned
After you learn to override/ mount enemies I was really disappointed that not a single NPC said anything about it. Like it was no big deal, even tho up to that point in the game the machines are made out to be this terrible menace that destroys villages and they need to be respected, ect yadayadaya

Other than that, it's been a pretty fun action RPG.

The focus, too, no way a devout law abiding man like Rost would allow Aloy to keep a price of forbidden tech.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
After you learn to override/ mount enemies I was really disappointed that not a single NPC said anything about it... For a game with this much love and attention to detail in it, this was really -really- stupid to me.

Yeah that's another little thing I noticed that seemed a bit weird. The game has a few niggling flaws like that. Nothing that ruins the overall experience though, I'd say.

killzab

Neo Member
I just played
the main mission with the revelation on who Aloy's "mother" is
and I think I'm only going to rush the story from now on. I'm burnt out on the open world and just want interesting missions, I don't want to gather and craft and run endlessly anymore.

That open world fatigue is real.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This happens to me all the time. I was on my way to a quest area and realized I was low on potions and the supplies to make more so I started hunting animals for like ten minutes and collecting herbs to refill my medicine bag. Then I got distracted hunting for more shards and a few other items to restock my ammo. Then I got to the mission area but not before taking a small trek to a nearby fire to save.

General question about Meridian (only read if you completed the game):

Do the Meridian soldiers salute you when you pass by right from the start or only once you saved Avad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom