• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHC

33059338442_dcdf1693df_z.jpg

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/03/07/massive-thunderjaw-horizon-zero-dawn-lego/

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
General question about Meridian (only read if you completed the game):

Do the Meridian soldiers salute you when you pass by right from the start or only once you saved Avad?

They do it the moment you get there. Running into the city and they were pounding their staffs into the ground by the dozen as I ran over the bridge.

TsuWave

made the mistake of entering that "Jaded gamers owe to themselves to play BOTW" thread and god, so many "haven't played it but horizon just looks like a prettier far cry" posts. terrible, terrible thread.

Admittedly, I also enjoy working through the camps in total stealth, headshotting every last one of the bandits. It only becomes a bit of a shit show when you alert them and have to use melee.

fully agree.
i stealthed/headshotted my way through that cauldron that has a bunch of human enemies and i enjoyed it quite a lot

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
After you learn to override/ mount enemies I was really disappointed that not a single NPC said anything about it. Like it was no big deal, even tho up to that point in the game the machines are made out to be this terrible menace that destroys villages and they need to be respected, ect yadayadaya

Aloy comes riding in on a strider, not a single NPC so much as bats a fucking eyelid. Not a single person says anything at all about how she did it, what her power is, anything.

I've noticed people mentioning that no one reacts in the game to Aloy riding on an overridden machine and I've had a couple NPC's comment on it randomly. One was a Nora who was praying on a rock and saw me ride by on a Strider and started freaking out over it though in a good way, more like he was shocked to see it happening. Its not every NPC but it does happen.

After you learn to override/ mount enemies I was really disappointed that not a single NPC said anything about it. Like it was no big deal, even tho up to that point in the game the machines are made out to be this terrible menace that destroys villages and they need to be respected, ect yadayadaya

Aloy comes riding in on a strider, not a single NPC so much as bats a fucking eyelid. Not a single person says anything at all about how she did it, what her power is, anything.

For a game with this much love and attention to detail in it, this was really -really- stupid to me.

Other than that, it's been a pretty fun action RPG.

Characters throughout the story definitely mention her unique abilities, specifically being able to tame machines. I don't know how far you are, but Aloy's "legend" tends to spread as you reach new areas.

I don't think the machines are made out to be a terrible menace either. Many characters mention the machines were docile up until 10-15 years ago. And we tune into the story at a point where the derangement is just starting to get worse. I'm pretty sure I remember some characters actually saying up until that point that only the most careless hunter's would get hurt by the machines.

made the mistake of entering that "Jaded gamers owe to themselves to play BOTW" thread and god, so many "haven't played it but horizon just looks like a prettier far cry" posts. terrible, terrible thread.

fully agree.
i stealthed/headshotted my way through that cauldron that has a bunch of human enemies and i enjoyed it quite a lot

Wait for LTTP threads for the next couple of months after the Zelda hype is over.

I think I still like bow handling on RoTR better, but obviously Horizon's mechanized enemies are on a different tier.

Yeah. Its sad going from Machines to normal animals and humans :(

Kill3r7

Admittedly, I also enjoy working through the camps in total stealth, headshotting every last one of the bandits. It only becomes a bit of a shit show when you alert them and have to use melee.

Fire arrows will turn bandits into piles of ash in no time. As a matter a fact, it makes the whole encounter rather trivial. Prior to yesterday I was doing them all via stealth but I unexpectedly alerted one of the bandits and just stood by the front gate as they kept coming and eating fire arrows. Dodge left or right a few times and the encounter will be over before you know it.

20+ hours and I finally was able to get a fox skin after killing over 20 of them. Still have yet to get a boar skin; which I desperately need to upgrade my resource pack.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, the AV Club reviewer really couldn't get off of Witcher 3's dick long enough to actually review Horizon.

I saw that review's quote on Metacritic, and my oh my... It looks like some hot bullshit. That snark about how "woke" Horizon is, and how all the male characters are pathetic...

No. Just no. Whoever wrote that is fucking pathetic.

ced

Anyone frustrated a bit with combat and you haven't tried the rope caster needs to, it's a fucking game changer.

It's really improved my enjoyment.

One thing I still don't get is why we're limited to 4 weapon quick slots. It's pointless and frustrating because it serves no purpose, you can still change through the menu in combat.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed people mentioning that no one reacts in the game to Aloy riding on an overridden machine and I've had a couple NPC's comment on it randomly. One was a Nora who was praying on a rock and saw me ride by on a Strider and started freaking out over it though in a good way, more like he was shocked to see it happening. Its not every NPC but it does happen.

Characters throughout the story definitely mention her unique abilities, specifically being able to tame machines. I don't know how far you are, but Aloy's "legend" tends to spread as you reach new areas.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but good to know it does happen though!

To be fair I rarely use a mount and haven't left the Nora's land (east of the mountains) yet.

valkyre

I have added 2 +42% damage modifications to my bow and yet i havent noticed my damage numbers to increase. Am I doing something wrong here?

89 is still too low, (gotta be in the 90's club baby) but glad it rose another point. Honestly, If GG can improve dramatically on this base, it might score like zelda next time.

Paganmoon

20+ hours and I finally was able to get a fox skin after killing over 20 of them. Still have yet to get a boar skin; which I desperately need to upgrade my resource pack.

Did a quest early on that had me collecting 4 boar skins, the first 4 boars killed in the area of the quest dropped the skins, so I used one of the skins for resouce capacity upgrade, went to the questgiver with 3 skins, and still completed the quest :D

One thing I still don't get is why we're limited to 4 weapon quick slots. It's pointless and frustrating because it serves no purpose, you can still change through the menu in combat.
Yeah, that is a flaw for sure. I don't like the limitation either. I just bought two stronger weapons yesterday and I am struggling trying to juggle them with everything else lol.

89 is still too low, (gotta be in the 90's club baby) but glad it rose another point. Honestly, If GG can improve dramatically on this base, it might score like zelda next time.

They need to improve greatly the combat against humans. Other than that it's just little tuning: A bit more complex side stories (some are really good) and a little refinement on the cinematic storytelling aspect (for main story and side quests), expand a little the arsenal and outfits too.

Right now the game is a 9+ because of humans, if they were good we would be talking about a game close to 10.

Krakin

I've heard people commenting on Aloy's ability to ride machines a number of times. What has disappointed me so far is Aloy not expressing much awe at seeing
Meridian
for the first time. For someone who lived in the embrace all her life, I just expected a stronger reaction. Minor gripe.

I wish that the weapon wheel was like Far Cry Primal or Red Dead Redemption where you could swap between different weapons of the same type with the d-pad.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Are the fights against other humans actually that bad, or are they just bad in comparison to some of the awesome battles against the machines?

Just a thought. I quite like clearing bandit camps, personally.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I wish that the weapon wheel was like Far Cry Primal or Red Dead Redemption where you could swap between different weapons of the same type with the d-pad.

The d-pad works your potions and bombs though, even when you bring up the weapon wheel. They'd need to change that.

But I would like to be able to change weapons without pausing and going into the inventory. Guerilla are victims of their own success with this problem, all the weapons are great in some way.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are the fights against other humans actually that bad, or are they just bad in comparison to some of the awesome battles against the machines?

they arent bad. people just love to overreact on gaf. It's just like every other stealth game ever made.

it's just amplified because the combat against the machines is so visceral.

Is there any chance that it might get to 90? Or would that require a lot more 90+ reviews? D:

It's like 120 positions away from 90. A 10 would jump around 20 places so you need like 6 more 10s... how many reviews left? The Last Guardian have 110 reviews, so you can guess that around 5 or 10 reviews left for Horizon maybe, everyone should be 10 or close. It's unlikely, but at least we reached the 89 dream.

Southeast of
Hollow Fort
is a good place to hunt a lot of animals

Thanks I'll check it out.

Did a quest early on that had me collecting 4 boar skins, the first 4 boars killed in the area of the quest dropped the skins, so I used one of the skins for resouce capacity upgrade, went to the questgiver with 3 skins, and still completed the quest :D

Ah damn, if only I had known back when I did that quest.

ced

The d-pad works your potions and bombs though, even when you bring up the weapon wheel. They'd need to change that.

But I would like to be able to change weapons without pausing and going into the inventory. Guerilla are victims of their own success with this problem, all the weapons are great in some way.

and they all have uses to different dinos, so you really need to be able to change them out easier than having to go through inventory when you stumble upon different groups.

they arent bad. people just love to overreact on gaf. It's just like every other stealth game ever made.

it's just amplified because the combat against the machines is so visceral.

It's really bad to me but it's almost a non issue because they're super easy to deal with.

So the game does not tell you the location of the cauldrons right? It's up to us to find them?

They are on the map once you completed the first one (which has its own side quest).

Staf

Only got one main mission left, i think, before doing that i'm gonna do all the side stuff. I knew when i bought this i would love the gameplay but man, the story and the world is even better. GG GG.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just have the weapon wheel take control priority when up.

Of course, it would work... Buy it's really handy being able to slow time and switch traps or swig a potion...

It's a tricky one to figure out.

TsuWave

I have added 2 +42% damage modifications to my bow and yet i havent noticed my damage numbers to increase. Am I doing something wrong here?

you should have noticed damage numbers increase. please mind that elemental arrows like fire, ice and shock don't do a lot of damage and are more so to induce opponents into status effects.

the increase in damage with damage mods is easily noticeable with hardpoint and precision arrows.

LogicStep

So how the hell do you hit the bellowback(I think?) weak point on its belly? Says it's weak to fire, I break off a ton of armor in the area but I can't seem to get a clear shot of those weak to fire canisters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom