• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compass only, final destination!

well thanks to you i'm putting everything on dynamic. that cinematic experience
232976501388214273.png

NeoRausch

well thanks to you i'm putting everything on dynamic. that cinematic experience
232976501388214273.png

My pleasure! It's the best way, trust me.

But I've got one minor question:

WHERE THE FUCKING RACCOONS AT?!

Got everything maxed out beside anything that needs raccoon skin.

leng jai

Game is starting to drop frames a bit in the second half of the game in 4K mode. Dropped down to Performance Mode now, doesn't look much worse on a 1080p screen anyway.

Skux

I've got everything on dynamic and the compass turned off. You don't really need it with the floating on screen markers.

I would turn off the XP bar as well but that also turns off XP notifications, which I like to use to confirm kills.

Venture

You can remove the quest marker by toggling off any mission that is currently active.
Yeah, that's something at least. I'd rather just have it on the compass though and not in the middle of the screen.

I also noticed there's no dynamic option for the compass for some reason. Just on and off. Should be easy enough for them to fix these in a future update.

MaKTaiL

Anyone got any tips for clearing the corrupted zone with corrupted rockbreakers? They're proving to be a right pain in my ass.
There is a couple Ravagers on a field beside it. I took them out then used their guns against the Rockbreakers from a safe distance. Easy peasy.

JBwB

I'm like level 40 and my main quests are like level 14-18.

I know level doesn't really matter as much in Horizon but I still think it's hilarious. Really enjoying the open world aspect.

Damn! This game has shot Guerilla into the top tier dev category for me. Honestly, I think they've surpassed Naughty Dog.

Unless TLOU2 is built from the ground up on PS4 PRO which I presume it is since the graphical details, the foliage etc all exceed what has been shown in Horizon, then there still a wide room for improvements this gen.

eizarus

Banned
Unless TLOU2 is built from the ground up on PS4 PRO which I presume it is since the graphical details, the foliage etc all exceed what has been shown in Horizon, then there still a wide room for improvements this gen.
Completely forgot about TLOU2 since I didn't watch any of the reveal trailers.

Matty8787

About 20 hours in and....I'm bored.

The game looks stunning and the combat is great but I am not interested in the story and it seems really rinse and repeat.

Might sell mine while the value is still there.

Incomprehensibruu!!

Is Horizon the Only AAA title with 4K Checkerboarding, Right??

Rise Of The Tomb Raider is and COD IW and COD MW Remaster (but both 2160p checkerboard is dynamic and not consistent). Horizon is the best game to use 2160p checkerboard so far with minimal artifacrts and that looks as close as native 4K. Also ROTTR sacrifices details (compared to Enhanced Quality Mode) to be in 4K mode, same can be said for Mass Effect Andromeda (1800p checkerboard mode vs 1080p Enhanced mode) while Horizon doesn't sacrifice details or performance in the 4K mode. Decima Engine is a stunner.

The game looks stunning and the combat is great but I am not interested in the story and it seems really rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure what parts aren't grabbing you, but I will say that the further you get in the story, the more interesting it gets. And it gets REALLY interesting.

Muffdraul

Just finished the game, over 97 hours. Currently out of work and have basically been playing it all day every day since launch. I generally don't do fast travel in these types of games and had no problem getting caught up in menial loot farming for ages between missions. This is a game you can really get wrapped up in. The game play, the world, the characters, the back story... I always assumed it was going to be a great game but holy shit did Guerrilla knock it out of the park. Now I can finally start Zelda BotW after sitting on my Wii U copy for a whole damn week. If not for that I'd probably just start Horizon over from the beginning tomorrow morning.

Matty8787

I'm not sure what parts aren't grabbing you, but I will say that the further you get in the story, the more interesting it gets. And it gets REALLY interesting.

I feel I may have open world fatigue.

I am coming off the back of over 150 hours in Witcher 3.

Maybe I need a more linear focused aproach for a while.

vivekTO

Rise Of The Tomb Raider is and COD IW and COD MW Remaster (but both 2160p checkerboard is dynamic and not consistent). Horizon is the best game to use 2160p checkerboard so far with minimal artifacrts and that looks as close as native 4K. Also ROTTR sacrifices details (compared to Enhanced Quality Mode) to be in 4K mode, same can be said for Mass Effect Andromeda (1800p checkerboard mode vs 1080p Enhanced mode) while Horizon doesn't sacrifice details or performance in the 4K mode. Decima Engine is a stunner.

I forgot about RotR , but i thought it has lacked some features to be able to scale to 4k , like lower res texture and Shadow details. It never looked as good as Horizon obviously.

eizarus

Banned
Yeah... stop playing Horizon for a while. Open world fatigue sucks.
This with any open world game to be honest. For some reason the fatigue sets in harder than non-open world games. (Personally I switch it up and jump back and forth between Destiny, TitanFall 2 and Horizon).

Zakalwe

Banned

It's /very/ rinse and repeat.

I think the problem with this is that the game is presented like an RPG: open world, quests, dialogue wheel, etc...

Really though, the RPG stuff and the open world itself are quite shallow, this is more of an action game with an open world arena and RPG systems on the side. I'm not saying this as a negative as such, more a perception thing, like:

Looking at this game as an RPG primarily you might say "great combat, but shallow RPG elements".

Whereas looking at it as an action game primarily it could be "this is really quite deep in terms of game systems for an action game".

It depends I guess, developer intent aside, did you come to Horizon wanting more Witcher 3 or Far Cry 3 (ie: RPG or action)? As you mention TW3 perhaps Horizon's weaknesses there are detracting from its strengths.

If you love the action and view the open world as a beautiful arena to engage with the action in, I think you might have a better time. The actual RPG stuff is pretty dull/shallow, and while the backstory/lore surrounding the meaning behind Zero Dawn is quite interesting, the actual present day story is super-generic stuff.

Bet you still wouldn't give it a 5/10

:p

I know GAF I know....
I can't let it go

This with any open world game to be honest. For some reason the fatigue sets in harder than non-open world games. (Personally I switch it up and jump back and forth between Destiny, TitanFall 2 and Horizon).

Yeah.

First time I played Witcher 3 I got bored and left it for a year.

Came back and now it's probably one of the best WRPGs I've played.

Yeah if you don't do about 8 main quests right away, your story will be primarily about people. I have spent 25 hours and I'm finally learning about the world. Didn't realize you could spend so much time on side quests.

Matty8787

It's /very/ rinse and repeat.

I think the problem with this is that the game is presented like an RPG: open world, quests, dialogue wheel, etc...

Really though, the RPG stuff and the open world itself are quite shallow, this is more of an action game with an open world arena and RPG systems on the side. I'm not saying this as a negative as such, more a perception thing, like:

Looking at this game as an RPG primarily you might say "great combat, but shallow RPG elements".

Whereas looking at it as an action game primarily it could be "this is really quite deep in terms of game systems for an action game".

It depends I guess, developer intent aside, did you come to Horizon wanting more Witcher 3 or Far Cry 3 (ie: RPG or action)? As you mention TW3 perhaps Horizon's weaknesses there are detracting from its strengths.

If you love the action and view the open world as a beautiful arena to engage with the action in, I think you might have a better time. The actual RPG stuff is pretty dull/shallow, and while the backstory/lore surrounding the meaning behind Zero Dawn is quite interesting, the actual present day story is super-generic stuff.

Good post.

I am not quite sure what I wanted from the game. The last 10 or so hours of witcher 3 were starting to wear me down tbh so I definitely didn't want anymore.

For a game to grab me I reckon the story element has to be great and I haven't found anything interesting yet in this one.

I also played 50 hours of FFXV between W3 and this.

I reckon I need a break from open world and need a game that pushes me down set paths.

Edit: guess I could ignore the side content and push on with the main quest?

Zakalwe

Banned
Bet you still wouldn't give it a 5/10

:p

I know GAF I know....
I can't let it go

Opinions, but yeh I find 5/10 very hard to understand. Even if you were using the entire scale, the combat and visuals and technical presentation alone make this an above average title.

But then I think we all have some wild opinions about games every now and then, they just stand out when stood next to the average opinion in the open like this.

Not Drake

Daily update!

Decided to put main story on hold for a little bit and explore a little. Cleared my first three corrupted zones. These actualy posed a fair challange to my underleveled character. I liked that corrupted machines were more aggresive, but I wished their routes would be less predictable and they had more sets of possible recon options. Got to my first tallneck too. I've never thought such an old and used mechanic would be exciting just by making the tower mobile. It helps that views in HZD are out of this earth. Finally I tackled a cauldron sigma. Nice change of setting with a tough fight at the end. I also really like constant lore dumps. I'm a sucker for these.

What a wonderful game. I'm out for the weekend so I'll get back to it on sunday evening.

Opinions, but yeh I find 5/10 very hard to understand. Even if you were using the entire scale, the combat and visuals and technical presentation alone make this an above average title.

But then I think we all have some wild opinions about games every now and then, they just stand out when stood next to the average opinion in the open like this.
I know but feels like the reviewers mind was set in stone before reviewing

Like I'm not a fan of the likes of RDR, TLOU and Uncharted series they bore the tits off me

But if I was reviewing them I know they are at least a 9 and not a 5 because that style doesn't interest me

Zakalwe

Banned
Good post.

I am not quite sure what I wanted from the game. The last 10 or so hours of witcher 3 were starting to wear me down tbh so I definitely didn't want anymore.

For a game to grab me I reckon the story element has to be great and I haven't found anything interesting yet in this one.

I reckon I need a break from open world and need a game that pushes me down set paths.

I get that. I need /something/ from the story to grab me and pull me forwards, gameplay alone won't cut it for the entire game.

While FFXV's story was a mess, the relationship with the brothers kept me playing through the post-game content, for example.

While the overall story was a little bland for me, the parts that hooked me in Horizon were the info dumps about Zero Dawn. I really enjoyed scouring ruins for more information, and I think they did a very good job framing the past.

You say 20 hours, but how far did you get story wise? It does definitely get better the further you go, imo. Maybe you bailed before the interesting stuff?

Good post.

Edit: guess I could ignore the side content and push on with the main quest?

Yeah, but I say take a rest and play some linear games for a while. The side quests are pretty fun. Not worth it to rush through games while you are sick of the genre.

Geido

Those long text files you get from Vantages are legit amazing. I didn't notice them at first and thought it was only the voice logs.

Wait, what? You get text logs as well? Should look in my menu some time. I love the little snippets you read everywhere.

But they're pretty difficult to find, you have to accidentally run into them. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I know about the vantage points map, but the other text files.

AudioEppa

I would say sell it. I liked the game. But that's because I played it my way, on easy, hardly collecting anything without accidentally just seeing it. Also doing just a few side missions. The experience was over in a few days after release with 30 something hrs of game time. It would have been lesser but I didn't know how to do fast travel until much later in the game lol.

There's people with 50+ hours into HZD. And you're wanting to dip at 20. Don't force it. You can always make some money on it and pick it up at a later time much cheaper if you care to.

I was actually going to drop the game after three days. But I just continued on because I cared a bit about the story. I actually would prefer to play in the old world. The atmosphere seems more exciting to me then the current world.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

5/10 makes no sense. Even though I don't like this quite as much as The Witcher 3, Horizon is still at least an 8/10, pushing close to 9/10.

Also; Fuck glinthawks with a rusty spoon.

And I'm bummed
we won't get to see a Metal Devil waking up in the game.

What do you think is the best looking outfit? Right now I'm rocking the shaman outfit or something, forget the name, but it's a two piece and the multi colored frills on the bottom look sweet moving around when you run. Protects against corruption I believe.

Whats your favorite?

What do you think is the best looking outfit? Right now I'm rocking the shaman outfit or something, forget the name, but it's a two piece and the multi colored frills on the bottom look sweet moving around when you run. Protects against corruption I believe.

Whats your favorite?

Shadow Carja armor. She looks cute in it.

Zakalwe

Banned
I know but feels like the reviewers mind was set in stone before reviewing

Like I'm not a fan of the likes of RDR, TLOU and Uncharted series they bore the tits off me

But if I was reviewing them I know they are at least a 9 and not a 5 because that style doesn't interest me

It was the reviewer's first review, right? Perhaps as they review more games their opinion will make more sense, like perhaps they have an issue with AA design in general (in many ways Horizon is quite generic for example - as polished and fun as it is) and their score reflects that. Perhaps we'll see higher scores for games they consider more inventive, etc...

I just checked literally after writing that last sentence, and the reviewer Caty McCarthy has just reviewed Nier scoring it a 5, that's all we have so far. I mean, it's possible Caty's tired of western AAA design or something, and i can see how the generic elements of Horizon could tire a person, but a 5/10 will always feel too strong to me no matter how you try to sell it.

5/10 makes no sense. Even though I don't like this quite as much as The Witcher 3, Horizon is still at least an 8/10, pushing close to 9/10.

Also; Fuck glinthawks with a rusty spoon.

And I'm bummed
we won't get to see a Metal Devil waking up in the game.

I'd honestly give Horizon a 7/10, but I'm really fatigued by western AAA design at the moment. I really did enjoy it for the most part, though, and elements of the experience were definitely 8-9/10.

Carcetti

Wait, what? You get text logs as well? Should look in my menu some time. I love the little snippets you read everywhere.

But they're pretty difficult to find, you have to accidentally run into them. Or am I missing something?

Edit: I know about the vantage points map, but the other text files.

Major story places have tons of logs always, otherwise you have to watch out for them. Most often they're in cities or old city ruins like the ones you find in Northeast of Nora areas.

The cups have some minor flavor, and the nano flowers have poetry :) The banuk figures have single large story about a person that you have to piece together, much like the Vantages.

Whats your favorite?

Banuk Ice Hunter Light

eizarus

Banned
Yeah.

First time I played Witcher 3 I got bored and left it for a year.

Came back and now it's probably one of the best WRPGs I've played.
Same. Picked it up soon after release. Finished half of it and got burnt out. I went back and finished it a month ago and it's one of the best games I've ever played (playing the expansion's currently (slowly going through them))

Geido

Major story places have tons of logs always, otherwise you have to watch out for them. Most often they're in cities or old city ruins like the ones you find in Northeast of Nora areas.

The cups have some minor flavor, and the nano flowers have poetry :) The banuk figures have single large story about a person that you have to piece together, much like the Vantages.

Ah that would explain why I haven't found that many. I still need to go to Meridia.

But you even get logs for the metal flowers and cups? Should really check that out tonight!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'd honestly give Horizon a 7/10, but I'm really fatigued by western AAA design at the moment. I really did enjoy it for the most part, though, and elements of the experience were definitely 8-9/10.

7/10 is a fair score. There are some elements that I don't like about the game, but as an overall package I'd probably say it's 8/10 for me. The graphics are marvellous, but the story, the characters and the world haven't really caught my interest to the same degree TW3 did, and I would've liked for the game to have more RPG elements (as in being able to buy better gear and weapons/upgrade the stats of my gear more than what the game allows you to do).

Guess I could ignore the side content and push on with the main quest?

Most definitely. If you focus on the main quest, the story unravels at a satisfying pace. Feel free to ignore your level and min/maxing stuff. Stock up on fast travel kits too and you can avoid long walks.

I really appreciate that the game allows you to play it like a linear game. The open world elements just drive in the setting to me, but isn't the main satisfaction for me. I just love that it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom