• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What classifies as an aquisition machine? I don't have the trophy for killing 1 of each but my statistics screen shows I have killed each enemy in the game more than once.

What classifies as an aquisition machine? I don't have the trophy for killing 1 of each but my statistics screen shows I have killed each enemy in the game more than once.

I had the same issue a few days ago
Rockbreaker was the one i needed to kill, Corrupted ones dont count

LiK

I got that naturally. Actually got it tonight and I don't even know the differences.

War Bow - 2 or 3 frost mods can instantly freeze most enemies with a tripleshot, if you're not one to cheese the Corruption mechanic.

I know, he was asking about tear vs damage. War bow should only be modded with +elemental of the same type.

Machines that acquire.

Basically resource gatherers - grazer, rockbreaker, lancehorn, glinthawk, etc.

try any of the others that you only have 1 kill of.

It's not hard to figure out.

TheFatMan

On the 'City of the Sun' quest, felt a bit jarring going from
forests and snowy mountains to what looks like the American southwest
. Makes me all the more curious to find out where the game is actually set.

The game tells you where it is set in the first 5 or 6 hours if you do the Vantage side items on the map. I live in the exact location the game is set, and I can tell you that a varied terrain is pretty common here (If not as sudden as the game shows it, but hey, it's not to scale)

tmac456

Just finished the main quest
Heart of the Nora

Holy fuck that was intense as hell. Fighting through all those
Corruptors and eventually the corrupted Thunderjaw

And then getting to
learn where Aloy came from and all that info

THIS GAME

Will be finishing up the main quest after work tomorrow. So pumped yet so sad for it to end

I know, he was asking about tear vs damage. War bow should only be modded with +elemental of the same type.

Machines that acquire.

Basically resource gatherers - grazer, rockbreaker, lancehorn, glinthawk, etc.

It's not hard to figure out.

The hard part is figuring out which number is glitched. I've killed all the enemies multiple times.

Acquisition: Grazer, Lancehorn, Glinthawk, Rockbreaker, Scrapper.

Transport: Shell-walker, Behemoth, Bellowback.

Combat: Sawtooth, Corruptor, Ravager, Thunderjaw, Stormbird.

Recon: Stalker, Watcher, Longleg.

Mounts - Broadhead, Strider, Charger.

I'm not sure where the rest qualify but you need all of them for the Machines Catalogued trophy anyway.

The hard part is figuring out which number is glitched. I've killed all the enemies multiple times.

I can bet it's the Rockbreaker. You need the killing blow for it to count I believe.

krae_man

Okay so I spent a couple days doing every side quest I could find and got up to level 25 and decided to finally go off to Meredian and go talk to Olin.

Along the way right around the Great Run Hunting Grounds a Stormbird sees me and would not leave me the fuck alone. It kicked my ass and every thing I had barely made a dint in it. I eventually killed it but it really drained my health and inventory.

Was that thing not supposed to notice me? Later on on the path I saw the Thunderjaw and stayed the fuck away and it left me alone, the game didn't give me that option with the Stormbird.

Having beaten the game, the biggest thing I want GG to improve upon in a sequel is the dialogue in some scenes. I actually think the writing was pretty good for most of the game but some of the self-exposition needs to be made a bit more subtle. Not cut back, just written in a less obvious way.

I cut them some slack here as the game is juggling so many different plot points but the execution could definitely be improved upon.

Mathieran

Banned
At level 25 finally on my way to Meridian.. But I keep getting distracted still. I'm probably gonna be atleast level 30 by the time I reach my destination.

I did my second cauldron, killed a bunch of snapmaws, and overrode one too to watch it fight. I'm surprised how easy they are to kill. Just light up their blaze canisters and they're about toast.

Then I came across my first Thunderjaw. There was a hunting party attacking it so I joined in. It took a few minutes but we killed it. Its attacks are easy to dodge. Didn't hit me much. It was a pretty awesome fight. Loved knocking off its disc launcher and then lighting up. Ended up exposing some weak spots on its neck to finish it off.

SlickVic

The game tells you where it is set in the first 5 or 6 hours if you do the Vantage side items on the map. I live in the exact location the game is set, and I can tell you that a varied terrain is pretty common here (If not as sudden as the game shows it, but hey, it's not to scale)

I missed the Vantage points, but looking it up now, that's pretty neat. Apparently people figured it out a while ago based on promo stuff, but I'm kind of glad I didn't know about it beforehand. Made seeing the change in scenery all the more interesting in this ongoing mystery about what exactly happened to 'our' world in this game.

As a separate point, I really like how all the 'relics' you find are named as they would be described in the game's world. An old pair of keys are called 'ancient chimes' for example. Makes me feel like I'm really seeing the world through Aloy's eyes.

SlickVic

Omg.. I just had my moments in this game. I just couldn't believe what was on my screen.

Did boost mode do something to this game? It's just ultra solid right now.

Can't imagine it would. Boost mode is for games without Pro support, and Horizon launched with Pro support out of the gate. Personally the game's run great for me since I started playing, and that's on the 'Favor Resolution' setting.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just finished. This is a rare new IP that fully lives up to its promise and is one of my favorite games ever. Absolutely phenomenal work from Guerrilla.

tmac456

Too many long cutscenes.

?

I think the great thing about this game is that the cutscenes tend to be on the short side

On another note, I'm still shook from that last main quest I did. The story in this game has far exceeded my expectations. I'm not a sci-fi guy at all and it has truly gripped me.

Woodchipper

Just finished the story. Awesome game, although frustrating at times, and the horrible dialogue hurts it a bit for me. Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank are both better PS4 exclusives in my opinion.

8/10

BeeDog

Damn, the (character spoiler)
Sun-King
was not as I expected.

I think this game does a great job with its plain writing. I am a bit sick of overly flowery language in many games; here, they just stick to plain American and enhances it with VAs who have character. Love it.

Just got the platinum and now I feel sad :(. I still want to explore the world of Horizon, so I think I'm going to try and look for all of the audio logs.

'Heaven Sniper

Neo Member
Wow, what a game! I don't think enough praise has been given to Horizon's controls. Aloy controls so smoothly, but I can't help but think that Venom Snake in MGSV controlled a little bit better. So much of Horizon is focused on locomotion and I found myself getting stuck on the geometry and fighting with the jankiness of the automatic platforming. The jump button worked pretty well so maybe the sequel could implement more traditional platforming controls.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I finished a corruption zone and then stopped dead in my tracks, thinking "Wait... this place seems familiar.". And then a second later I realized that I was right in the middle of Red Rocks. Didn't know it was in this game.

Paertan

Had my first go at a Thunderjaw last evening. Well a few goes since I just went back for more. It was tense the first time not knowing where to shoot. Seconds time that was easier but a lot of adds showed up so I was out of health when he finally went down. It was really fun! After work today I am gonna go back again for more loot and action.

Sun-King
was not as I expected.

I think this game does a great job with its plain writing. I am a bit sick of overly flowery language in many games; here, they just stick to plain American and enhances it with VAs who have character. Love it.
I agree with the latter

HZD has the most diverse cast of NPCs I've ever seen in a video game. That, on top of an already amazing female protagonist. It's wonderful.

ElyrionX

Gear/loot is random. Keep skins and bones from animals until you upgrade all of your carrying capacities. Upgrade the resource bag first above everything else.

Once you want to upgrade your weapons/armor, just go to a merchant and zero in on what items are needed to buy the upgrades. Lens and hearts are needed for awhile, but once you have an idea of what you need, you can just sell everything. Remember you can create jobs to help you keep track of what you need to buy an upgrade in the merchant menu. Invest in the Tinker skill as well so you don't destroy mods in your weapons/armor. Sell mods when you get higher tier ones.

I think that's the main jist of it.

Many thanks. Very helpful.

Sun-King
was not as I expected.

I think he is a nod to a mayan/aztec culture

VanWinkle

Don't agree that it's a spoiler, but I'll do it.

I mean, now I know that he or she is not who they are made out to be initially. So it's kind of disappointing to hear that.

Edit: I'm assuming that's what you were saying, anyway. Unless I misinterpreted it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Certain weapons, outfits and items require animal parts to purchase, same with robo hearts. The unlimited fast travel back and Shadow Warbow for example.

Thanks. Think I'm going to have to look up a wiki of ingredients based on weapons I might still want and upgrades, and make a shopping list of what animal bits I need to keep so I can hopefully free up some space.

Bought the heart for the shadow war bow for a crazy high price because I don't think I've even come across the creature whose heart I need.

BeeDog

I mean, now I know that he or she is not who they are made out to be initially. So it's kind of disappointing to hear that.

Edit: I'm assuming that's what you were saying, anyway. Unless I misinterpreted it.

You misinterpreted it. I JUST met the character and didn't imply anything about his/her/its intentions. I was just commenting on the fact that I painted a different picture of said character in my head and expected something which didn't happen. So no story spoilers regarding the character.

I was fighting a herd of tramplers and was pretty tense.

I noticed they seem hesitant to charge if you face them head on, with your bow taut. Only when I turned my back and ran would the herd try and capitalize and attack. So I was trying to manage this whole herd, keeping an eye on any one trampler that got smart and tried to slip into the periphery and charge.

They seemed fearful, cautious, and agitated. It felt like I was wrangling them in a way, shifting the whole herd around as they reacted to the bow and its line of sight. They would cower away from me and huddle together. Eventually one slipped out of vision and charged, but I rolled to safety. It all went to hell after as I lost control of them, and the herd of tramplers started chaotically charging all around me.

And the sound is so good. Sounds like a stampede of huge mechanical beasts is supposed to sound.

GG really went IN on this game, never had a gameplay moment quite like it before. I remember the e3 demos were written off as scripted, but the game is full of those moments that just organically happen. It's so cool.

Putty

Lvl 29... First thunderjaw...AV IT!!!!! 2nd Cauldron bagged...Rockbreaker downed at quarry quest...Last night was a good night...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not getting on with the ropecaster. I enabled the tutorial quests to try it out and on ravagers it often wouldn't stick so I was wasting ammo. And then when it did stick they wouldn't fall over. Is there a knack to it?

Not getting on with the ropecaster. I enabled the tutorial quests to try it out and on ravagers it often wouldn't stick so I was wasting ammo. And then when it did stick they wouldn't fall over. Is there a knack to it?
There's a meter you have to fill before an enemy topples. One or two cords will just immobilize them (which is sometimes all you need anyway). Don't sleep on the ropecaster; It'll make your encounters with some extremely powerful robos much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom