• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This game is doing some weird shit with Blu-ray drive in my PS4, because it goes suddenly overboard and starts making disc insert sounds, with bleeping. Only way to fix it is to plug it off, plug it again and rebuild database...Am I only one with this issues?

While I love the game and it's certainly going to be a GOTY contender I have to admit that as the game get further along the game is becoming more frustrating than fun.

The enemies have gotten ridiculously relentless and my weapons do almost no damage. The scan tool doesn't always seem to be reliable either. Enemies may be ultra fast, always seem to land a hit and have crazy AOE attacks. It's just ridiculous when you get swarmed by tons of enemies. I had to drop the difficulty down to easy just because it got so tiresome dealing with ravagers and the bird enemies who just fly all over the place and reign hell. Even on easy it still takes a ton of hits to bring enemies down.

Anyone else feel this way?

Mmm no, seems that you didn't find a sweet spot for you to deal with enemies. I think this has to do with how versatil the weapons are, you might end up with a bad loadout or unsuccessful playstyle.
If anything, it should get easier the more you play.

Edit: Read bellow.

Elemental arrows and Ropecaster solves a lot of these problems.
Some people don't realise you have to fill a meter with a certain element before it goes into effect.
Freeze arrow enables 2x damage. Fire arrows are good DOT and ignites cannisters.
Ropes take enemies out of a fight so you can deal with the other ones.

Corruption is also very helpful as they will fight each other.

This game is doing some weird shit with Blu-ray drive in my PS4, because it goes suddenly overboard and starts making disc insert sounds, with bleeping. Only way to fix it is to plug it off, plug it again and rebuild database...Am I only one with this issues?

I havent had issues with the Blu-Ray at all but this game seems to make the Pro sweat a bit. My fan is fairly loud while playing and goes into overdrive when looking at the map.

While I love the game and it's certainly going to be a GOTY contender I have to admit that as the game get further along the game is becoming more frustrating than fun.

The enemies have gotten ridiculously relentless and my weapons do almost no damage. The scan tool doesn't always seem to be reliable either. Enemies may be ultra fast, always seem to land a hit and have crazy AOE attacks. It's just ridiculous when you get swarmed by tons of enemies. I had to drop the difficulty down to easy just because it got so tiresome dealing with ravagers and the bird enemies who just fly all over the place and reign hell. Even on easy it still takes a ton of hits to bring enemies down.

Sorry man, I played on hard and actually found the enemies to get a lot easier by the end. I felt once I had the shadow weapons and particularly the
weapons from the hunter guild
and stacked up a few purples on them, I really started to tear through enemies at super speed. I got Thunderjaws down to about 30 seconds towards the end. Ravagers and glinthawks just need a few well placed tearblast arrows off the bat, and you disable most of their powerful attacks. I do think finding your niche is part of the process though. I used the tripwire constantly but read others say they didn't use it at all and beat larger enemies just as fast haha. I have no idea how. Everyone just figures out their methods that work for them and then gets it down to an art.

I will add that passing into the carja lands felt like quite a bump, and probably the biggest difficulty spike for myself personally in the game. For awhile it felt like I was running and hiding a lot more than fighting because I would just get overwhelmed, but once I got to Meridian and sorted my weapons out and took down just enough big beasts to really spec my gear out, I was rolling again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You're probably missing "Acquired Taste" /thread.

actually I lied, I HAVENT done that (at least according to my completed quests in the log), I could sware I recognised the name. So where do I find that?

edit: nd why the fuck cant I fast travel after that
gladiator style
main quest?

Chance

actually I lied, I HAVENT done that (at least according to my completed quests in the log), I could sware I recognised the name. So where do I find that?

gladiator style
main quest?

You can, as I recall, but your destination can't be within
the Sacred Lands.

EGM1966

I'm guessing you're not upgrading weapons/mods enough? I made this mistake for a while: I got so focused on improving my aiming etc I forgot to swap out weapons for better variants. I'd suggest checking what's actually available to you for weapons and mods.

mokeyjoe

This is a known issue with PS4s and is due to a design flaw. It's nothing to do with Horizon per se, it's to do with the disc eject button becoming over-sensitive as the console warms up.

There are various 'fixes' but in my experience they're only temporary. Powering off, fiddling with the manual eject screw etc. It happened to mine last year and in the end I just disabled the eject button with a piece of tape (easy to do).

gladiator style
main quest?

Here's where you can find the quest:

17191937_10212406034815047_7011496928886066000_o_zpskdoc0hsg.jpg

Also,
you still have a couple of main missions after the one you just finished (like 4 or 5).

Kinda bored of doing the end game quests. I might just start another full playthrough and carry the momentum there to 100%. I'll save my review of the game till then I suppose.

Alpende

Fucking hell, just had my first Sigma bunker fight with the
Fire Bellowback
and I'm really loving the Rope launcher. That thing saved my ass. I had like 20% of my medic pack filled.

God this getting so frustratingly annoying. Tried doing a side quest and the rockbreaker just appears right where I'm standing and kills me in 1 or 2 hits. Can hardly do any damage to it. Died about 10 times and gave up.

Now trying a main quest and the two corrupters are killing me. Can't kill those guys up on the rocks who keep firing stuff at me and I keep getting stuck in the terrain. Don't have enough health to survive.

I have my first complaint about this game.

The cauldrons. They are cool, but I tend to not be able to see a damn thing in them. There is so much light bloom and shadowing and lens flares that I'm finding it difficult to see and figure out where I need to go. Anyone else?

God this getting so frustratingly annoying. Tried doing a side quest and the rockbreaker just appears right where I'm standing and kills me in 1 or 2 hits. Can hardly do any damage to it. Died about 10 times and gave up.

Now trying a main quest and the two corrupters are killing me. Can't kill those guys up on the rocks who keep firing stuff at me and I keep getting stuck in the terrain. Don't have enough health to survive.

You won't face Rockbreakers (let alone corrupted) if you focus on the main story, try an alternate path.

Vire

For real though this game is fucking awesome.

I have some small quibbles with the twitchiness of the animations in dialogue conversations, abrupt camera transitions and holy shit batman detective scanning is never fun.

But the overall package is one of the most impressive I've seen in some time. The scope of the world is facinating and the lore and story are so much deeper than I ever expected. The vistas and sights in this game are something that I could have never imagined in a video game five years ago. I really don't want this game to end!

Slixshot

Banned

I have some small quibbles with the twitchiness of the animations in dialogue conversations, abrupt camera transitions and holy shit batman detective scanning is never fun.

But the overall package is one of the most impressive I've seen in some time. The scope of the world is facinating and the lore and story are so much deeper than I ever expected. The vistas and sights in this game are something that I could have never imagined in a video game five years ago. I really don't want this game to end!

Right there with you. Could be in my personal top 5.

BigDug13

Is it a launch system? The eject button starts to fail and erroneously activates.

A skill that I would have benefited from investing in earlier is the ability to string additional arrows.

Yeah, 2x or 3x the damage but I ignored it initially because I thought I would rarely have time to add them once I aim down the sight but I didn't know it allowed this before taking aim though it makes sense when thinking for a second. Very powerful and actually really fun as you have to balance it with the frenetic action.

Elemental arrows and Ropecaster solves a lot of these problems.
Some people don't realise you have to fill a meter with a certain element before it goes into effect.
Freeze arrow enables 2x damage. Fire arrows are good DOT and ignites cannisters.
Ropes take enemies out of a fight so you can deal with the other ones.

Corruption is also very helpful as they will fight each other.

Yeah definitely.

Fire - DPS

Ice - Buff damage

Corruption - Use to lessen threats

Ropecaster - Stop/Sleep

And that's not going into traps and tripwires. Game just begs you to take a step back, and plan everything.

Kane1345

I just finished this game and wow what a ride! Brilliantly crafted story, which I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting. Loved the combat, the gorgeous visuals and overall just had a really great time. 85hrs clocked in and I still don't have the plat. One of my favourite games of all time and definitely deserving of the praise it has received thus far.

NeoRausch

Anyone having crashing issues after the last update? My game crashed last night and now I get this

Edit: I did try just restarting the game but I get that screen again so now I have to reinstall the game.

No crashing, but strangely enough today the game asked to a loading screen while I was in the wild.

Super minor loading. Like a second or two. Still strange.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bunker at the
north edge of the map
near a vantage point for day
. Can't find a way in after climbing up - is that story locked?

No crashing, but strangely enough today the game asked to a loading screen while I was in the wild.

Super minor loading. Like a second or two. Still strange.

I had this happen last night but it was less than a second and the game had never done that before the patch in about 30+ hours .

I really love this game, don't know the last time I had so much fun with a game. The gameplay is so fucking good, enjoying it on the level of SP games which are my favourite. GG have done a great job, the foundation is so strong their next will hopefully make the world a little more flushed out, along with online horde mode.

Pretty much agree with all of this lol. Also yeah, I was always hopeful in the game threads when the discussion came up due to the story writer hires they were doing to address that big issue with the studio's past games if they were really going to do a Witcher-level RPG project but they really delivered more than expected of their first huge scale WRPG, props to Mathijs de Jonge and John Gonzales and whoever else was on the writing team with Gonzales.

Though, I actually like scanning the bots I'm about to encounter. ;) I also really liked it as a thing in the story as one of the constant scifi touches that's always with you (along with the robot dinos).

The soundtrack is pretty great too.

TsuWave

I have read a lot of people struggling with glinthawks and like, two fire arrows downs them then you can either ropecast them to the ground or melee them or focus on hitting their weak spot right in the middle of the chest to make that ice explosion thing.

It's one of the easiest enemies in this game

After watching hours of Mass Effect footage, I have to say I'm very grateful for this game and what the devs did. The lip syncing might not be perfect, but it's currently a step above everything in terms of open world dialogue animations and character appearances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom