• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The trophy for
having everyone present for the end of the story
is giving me anxiety lol

There's a checklist online that you can check. No worries.

Yep. It's spoiler free. Just look up the list of side quests/errands you need to have completed and make sure you have.

Even if you miss one, when you beat the game it puts you back in the world state before you started the final mission (though keeping your XP and rewards from that mission) so you can go finish whatever you missed and beat it again to get the trophy (actually don't have to beat it, could just quit the game after it pops during the final mission).

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
However much I love the game, I LOATHE the trials. Whatever small irritants one might have with regular combat gets magnified to an almost absurd degree.

For example, the Sun Furrows.
Sure, it might be the hardest. But it does its damndest to make it even harder. I shoot off the disc launcher, tie down the Thunderjaw.
And the Ravager decide to chill on their respective sides and do nothing. No chance to get to both in time.

The ravager cannons invariably fly off and land somewhere inaccessible.

Argh!

edit: fucking finally! Gah! Blazing for all.

How do I get back into makers end. I think I'm missing a power cell from there.

I missed it too on my playthrough and went there post game.
Where you fought against the Deathbringer, go inside a tunnel and pass through a narrow place, the game will ask you to slip through it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
However much I love the game, I LOATHE the trials. Whatever small irritants one might have with regular combat gets magnified to an almost absurd degree.

Sure, it might be the hardest. But it does its damndest to make it even harder. I shoot off the disc launcher, tie down the Thunderjaw.
And the Ravager decide to chill on their respective sides and do nothing. No chance to get to both in time.

Argh!

Yeah, stuff like that is why I long ago gave up chasing trophies/achievements. Too often forcing myself through content I didn't enjoy just for trophies.

I got 53+ hours out of it, no need to chase the platinum which would just taint the game a bit for me with having to slog through those trials (which I wasn't enjoying and just did 3 to be able to do the hunting lodge/Redmaw quest line), use a guide to hunt down training dummies and the couple power cells I missed etc.

I just set the goal for myself of finding all the marked collectibles, clearing all the corrupted zones and bandit camps, and visiting every settlement/campfire and doing all the sidequests and errands I came across. That was my "100%" the game as I finished all the content I found enjoyable and had a blast with the game. That let me see the whole world, really get into the story and setting and had fun the entire time and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Tovarisc

Last week I wrapped up full playthough that took 70h, was on V. Hard from beginning to the end and included getting Platinum trophy. I like to think feedback I'm giving below has some merit and validity to it. Even when it isn't all smiles and kisses.

I liked the game, a lot. I love Aloy as character, story was very well written and executed so it really sucked you in and before I knew it I was emotionally invested in the people and the world. From narrative view game was excellent ride from start to finish when looking at main story content. Side story content outside of few exceptions is very poor and flat experience of using detective vision. Those few exceptions make doing all available side content worth it at the end.

Game is very front loaded. Further you get into the game more sparse quest content becomes, more barren world design becomes and you even start to encounter geometry that is clearly copy pasted there quickly so they can wrap production up. This makes game feel thinner and thinner towards the end in that side content and exploration sense, but main story ramping up big time constantly towards the end keeps momentum up.

Gameplay, it isn't setting world on fire. Aloy controls beautifully in and outside of combat. There were only few moments when she felts tad inconsistent, but those moments were so rare it didn't bother me. Combat has certain illusion of variety and depth because when you are doing that 70h run there becomes a point when you have seen it all. Still combat felt good because you are able to maintain momentum constantly and robot variety with different designs, especially in mixed packs, created that intensity to it.

Thunderjaw is easiest and fastest bigger robot to kill.

Crafting was just mind numbing busywork. Game could have done without that particular feature easily.

Economy is broken and pointless. At the end of my run I had around 70k metal shards, I never had shortage of any possible raw material or lens or heart. Outside of purchasing outfit I liked best visually and one of each best weapon there was basically nothing to purchase from vendors. Refill HP potion stocks once in a while because those were best for healing and thats it. I found myself wishing there was more at least model variety to pick from and work towards. Even rewards from turning in collectibles were sad.

Leveling, outside of skill points why? You gain more HP, but same time your herb based healing didn't scale up while that level 20 Watcher was still able to 2-3 hit kill your max level, 50, Aloy. It felt so stupid even if it's intended mechanic to promote personal skill over bruteforcing it with over leveling the content. Around level 35-40 I stopped bothering with herbs and basic pots, went all in on using full HP pots as needed and it was best way to heal yourself for last 30 or so hours. At least your basic healing stuff should scale according your level better so eating one Watcher melee strike doesn't mean 1 full bar of herbs.

Graphically game is very pretty, even on OG PS4. Because of high image quality its short comings also became very obvious. Foliage outside of tall grass doesn't react to Aloy, robots or NPC's. Rain doesn't create splashes when hitting puddles, rocks etc. Water has zero reaction to Aloy, NPC's or robots. NPC design quality varies so much, some are very well crafted while others are lacking. Face animations and lipsync for most part is horrendous, too little or too much. These things just stick out when so much is done at so high image quality.

Lightning in HZ is next level and game really shines when wandering in foresty areas or ruins of the city at the beginning.

Audio design and music in on point from beginning to end! I want OST, now!

Edit: I would give it 8 or 8.5 out of 10

I may add something in later post, but this is most of what I have been thinking.
horizonzerodawn_20170mrk78.png

horizonzerodawn_20170tljcn.png

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I have read a lot of people struggling with glinthawks and like, two fire arrows downs them then you can either ropecast them to the ground or melee them or focus on hitting their weak spot right in the middle of the chest to make that ice explosion thing.

It's one of the easiest enemies in this game

Or accurate tearblast arrow into freeze sack - when they crash land, critical strike and job done.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Last week I wrapped up full playthough that took 70h, was on V. Hard from beginning to the end and included getting Platinum trophy. I like to think feedback I'm giving below has some merit and validity to it. Even when it isn't all smiles and kisses.

I liked the game, a lot. I love Aloy as character, story was very well written and executed so it really sucked you in and before I knew it I was emotionally invested in the people and the world. From narrative view game was excellent ride from start to finish when looking at main story content. Side story content outside of few exceptions is very poor and flat experience of using detective vision. Those few exceptions make doing all available side content worth it at the end.

Game is very front loaded. Further you get into the game more sparse quest content becomes, more barren world design becomes and you even start to encounter geometry that is clearly copy pasted there quickly so they can wrap production up. This makes game feel thinner and thinner towards the end in that side content and exploration sense, but main story ramping up big time constantly towards the end keeps momentum up.

Gameplay, it isn't setting world on fire. Aloy controls beautifully in and outside of combat. There were only few moments when she felts tad inconsistent, but those moments were so rare it didn't bother me. Combat has certain illusion of variety and depth because when you are doing that 70h run there becomes a point when you have seen it all. Still combat felt good because you are able to maintain momentum constantly and robot variety with different designs, especially in mixed packs, created that intensity to it.

Thunderjaw is easiest and fastest bigger robot to kill.

Crafting was just mind numbing busywork. Game could have done without that particular feature easily.

Economy is broken and pointless. At the end of my run I had around 70k metal shards, I never had shortage of any possible raw material or lens or heart. Outside of purchasing outfit I liked best visually and one of each best weapon there was basically nothing to purchase from vendors. Refill HP potion stocks once in a while because those were best for healing and thats it. I found myself wishing there was more at least model variety to pick from and work towards. Even rewards from turning in collectibles were sad.

Leveling, outside of skill points why? You gain more HP, but same time your herb based healing didn't scale up while that level 20 Watcher was still able to 2-3 hit kill your max level, 50, Aloy. It felt so stupid even if it's intended mechanic to promote personal skill over bruteforcing it with over leveling the content. Around level 35-40 I stopped bothering with herbs and basic pots, went all in on using full HP pots as needed and it was best way to heal yourself for last 30 or so hours. At least your basic healing stuff should scale according your level better so eating one Watcher melee strike doesn't mean 1 full bar of herbs.

Graphically game is very pretty, even on OG PS4. Because of high image quality its short comings also became very obvious. Foliage outside of tall grass doesn't react to Aloy, robots or NPC's. Rain doesn't create splashes when hitting puddles, rocks etc. Water has zero reaction to Aloy, NPC's or robots. NPC design quality varies so much, some are very well crafted while others are lacking. Face animations and lipsync for most part is horrendous, too little or too much. These things just stick out when so much is done at so high image quality.

Lightning in HZ is next level and game really shines when wandering in foresty areas or ruins of the city at the beginning.

Audio design and music in on point from beginning to end! I want OST, now!

I may add something in later post, but this is most of what I have been thinking.
horizonzerodawn_20170mrk78.png

horizonzerodawn_20170tljcn.png
Good post 👍

lol there's only one game i've played that i'd give a 10
Destiny...2?
For real though this game is fucking awesome.

I have some small quibbles with the twitchiness of the animations in dialogue conversations, abrupt camera transitions and holy shit batman detective scanning is never fun.

But the overall package is one of the most impressive I've seen in some time. The scope of the world is facinating and the lore and story are so much deeper than I ever expected. The vistas and sights in this game are something that I could have never imagined in a video game five years ago. I really don't want this game to end!
Yeah. I was happily anticipating this game for awhile, but god did it deliver for me. 68 hours clocked in and I'm not quite finished with it yet. The foundation that Guerrilla set is amazing and I can only hope they take off from here. Hopefully Horizon will be Uncharted 2 or Assassin's Creed 2 levels of "HOLY SHIT this game is a massive improvement" and pit them on the map.

Aloy's skin and clothes have water shaders on them after she steps in it, and the rain creates ripples on the water. Beyond that though, the way water interaction is handled is inconsistent at best. There are times when it creates splashes as she runs through, and others when it just doesn't do anything. And let's not get into how much swimming is an afterthought.

Definitely room for improvement there.

Destiny...2?

No, Ori and the Blind Forest, specifically, the definitive edition.

MrS

Banned
Anybody else irked by the amount of missions that involve you highlighting somebody's tracks and then following them?

Tovarisc

Anybody else irked by the amount of missions that involve you highlighting somebody's tracks and then following them?

95% of side quests is just that, detective vision and purple tracks. Still keep doing them, there is true gems in there.

I checked how far I am and it was 48.41%... and I already beat the main story. Damn, there's a lot to do still. I've only beat 2 cauldrons. Sigma and Zeta I think.

JonnyKong

I've only just started playing this thanks to Zelda getting in the way.

I would say I am enjoying it so far, but it's a weird hollow kind of enjoyment, kind of like eating chinese food. It's because I know everything I'm doing in this game I've already done in many other games, I'm still waiting for Horizon to really show me its unique card. Obviously I know the giant robotic animals stand out, but these moments are few and far between. The bandit camps especially just do not need to be in there, they add nothing to the game and are just a blatant rip off from Far Cry.

I've just reached Meridian City after about 8 hours of play. I assume it's perfectly normal to avoid the thunderjaws and flying hawk things for now because those things look way too scary to take on just now, I ran straight past those fuckers quicker than lightning.

Kill3r7

Argh!

Frustrating I know, but that was my favorite bit of gameplay in the entire game. I had so much fun completing all 3 trials. Also a good spot to farm as often across the river there is a caravan of Behemoths which you can attack and get to come over. Purple mods galore.

Ferrio

Banned

I would say I am enjoying it so far, but it's a weird hollow kind of enjoyment, kind of like eating chinese food. It's because I know everything I'm doing in this game I've already done in many other games, I'm still waiting for Horizon to really show me its unique card. Obviously I know the giant robotic animals stand out, but these moments are few and far between. The bandit camps especially just do not need to be in there, they add nothing to the game and are just a blatant rip off from Far Cry.

I've just reached Meridian City after about 8 hours of play. I assume it's perfectly normal to avoid the thunderjaws and flying hawk things for now because those things look way too scary to take on just now, I ran straight past those fuckers quicker than lightning.

Other than the machine combat, there honestly isn't much that makes it unique compared to other open world games. Atleast gameplay wise. It's starting to wind up as another Mordor for me, average open world game that adds a new concept but not much else.

EGM1966

Not irked but it was overused. I was expecting them to allow broader use of Focus rather than always just following a trail. Mind you I guess GG looked at sales/popularity of Witcher 3 and thought "if it ain't broken..."

That said I find all RPGs struggle a bit with getting beyond "start here, then go there, then do A then move on again to do B to complete quest".

Maybe going forward they can beef up what Focus can do for you. I'd love a zoom mode, quests that require eavesdropping, some more elaborate crime / puzzle solving to be throw into the mix.

That said the foundation feels like its there now GG just need to invest in more variety of non-combat activities to enable more interesting quest design.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

I guess, but there's nothing stopping you from wrecking them now. I had killed 2 thunder jaws and a few of the glint hawks before I reached meridian. That first thunder jaw took me around 40 mins of trial and error before I was able to formulate a plan that would take him down and it was so satisfying when it all came together.

JonnyKong

Other than the machine combat, their honestly isn't much that makes it unique compared to other open world games. Atleast gameplay wise. It's starting to wind up as another Mordor for me, average open world game that adds a new concept but not much else.

I'm starting to think Eurogamer were spot on with their review, of course I know things can change and improve as I still have a long way to go. When the big, exciting moments on this game come, they do make the game come alive, but as you say, everything else in between just isn't blowing me away right now.

I wasn't a huge Mordor fan either.

i waited till cauldron zeta to fight my thunderjaw and im so glad i did. it took15 minutes,
alll my ammo, traps and potions to take that fucker down, and then i had to fight 3 stalkers afterwards. so good

Argh!

Yeah I'm in the same boat, trying to tie down glinthawks (the worst) with the ropecaster. It's just way too wonky. Considering it's an open world game I'm glad there's no mount racing missions.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, trying to tie down glinthawks (the worst) with the ropecaster. It's just way too wonky. Considering it's an open world game I'm glad there's no mount racing missions.

Just fire a couple of fire arrows into them, they crash, rope caster them down. Super easy.

Yeah no, if you are already in Meridian in 8hs then there's not much you'll find that's better than what you've already seen. Some machines and the story gets better but that's pretty much it.
That doesn't mean it's like that for a lot of people, it's one of my favourite games this gen and I couldn't really relate to other open world games as in this one.

Just finished the game. I'll start by saying unless ME:A doesn't bring it then this game has to win game of 2017. There's SO many moving parts that all work well (with a few exceptions, no combat lock on? What year are we in?) The world, the music, the atmosphere, character development, story, graphics. They all mesh together so damn well to produce a game that once you start you don't want to finish. There were times where I'd only have an hour to play and refused to do so because that's not enough time to delve deep into this world.

The issues I did have were no combat lock on and no ability to mass purchase items (but you could mass sell lol?) Armor designs could have looked a little better. One of my favorite armor sets is the Shadow Stalward Heavy, god damn does it look amazing and that's about the only one I liked aside from the super armor. And the Hunting Grounds.....yeah fuck those. That's it, those were the only flaws I had with the game.

The best way to take down the machines is to disable all their ranged attacks with your tearblast arrows, and tie them down, freeze them (or shoot their freeze sacs), and then plant sticky nades or shoot hardpoint arrows at them.

If the bigger machines are causing problems, it's probably because they still have all their weapons and stabilizers on.

Just fire a couple of fire arrows into them, they crash, rope caster them down. Super easy.

Waiting for one to get into range while the others (and a bunch of tramplers) are aggroed is one thing, getting to the glinthawk and having the finicky critical hit prompt come up compounds the difficulty.

ActWan

Well I just had the craziest string of battles while roaming around...but I think they are connected to the late-game story somehow so I'll spoiler it just in case.
I went to a Vantage point on the northern side of the map (called King's Peak or something like that) and on the way I fought 4 Stalkers and a few Watchers...intense battle but I won.
I kept on going and 2 Ravagers plus 4 Glinthawks did wait for me...luckily there was a campfire nearby so I was fairly confident and somehow took them all out with a gun I tore from one of the Ravagers.
Now, barely on any health resources because these were hard battles, I kept on going...and there was a fucking Stormbird. I defeated it somehow, and it was a freaking epic and amazing battle.
Then I went to the Vantage point which revealed some interesting details about the plot...and when I tried to go to the ruins up ahead I couldn't find an entrance. Because there was a small cutscene before the Stormbird battle and Aloy kept on saying these machines are probably guarding something, I'm pretty sure it's some late game story area...can't believe I managed to beat these machines though :D
What an amazing game!

Well I just had the craziest string of battles while roaming around...but I think they are connected to the late-game story somehow so I'll spoiler it just in case.
I went to a Vantage point on the northern side of the map (called King's Peak or something like that) and on the way I fought 4 Stalkers and a few Watchers...intense battle but I won.
I kept on going and 2 Ravagers plus 4 Glinthawks did wait for me...luckily there was a campfire nearby so I was fairly confident and somehow took them all out with a gun I tore from one of the Ravagers.
Now, barely on any health resources because these were hard battles, I kept on going...and there was a fucking Stormbird. I defeated it somehow, and it was a freaking epic and amazing battle.
Then I went to the Vantage point which revealed some interesting details about the plot...and when I tried to go to the ruins up ahead I couldn't find an entrance. Because there was a small cutscene before the Stormbird battle and Aloy kept on saying these machines are probably guarding something, I'm pretty sure it's some late game story area...can't believe I managed to beat these machines though :D
What an amazing game!
Something similar happened with me. Fighting that Stormbird in the middle of a blizzard was atmospheric and exhilarating.

Tomeru

Anyone else feel this way?

Elemental arrows and Ropecaster solves a lot of these problems.
Some people don't realise you have to fill a meter with a certain element before it goes into effect.
Freeze arrow enables 2x damage. Fire arrows are good DTS and ignites cannisters.
Ropes take enemies out of a fight so you can deal with the other ones.

Corruption is also very helpful as they will fight each other.

Also certain crit points on monsters are protected behind a piece of armor (such as flame canisters on snapmaws), so you'll need to take care of that beforehand. Use tearblast arrows for quick stripping of armor, and you'll also be able to pick up a ravager's cannon and use it against them.

Finished/Platinum'd Horizon, with 67hrs on Hard at 96.14% completion. (I think you could shave ten hours off that time for the platinum, but I spent a lot of time messing around!) I think I will genuinely come back and clean up the data points I'm missing sometime, because I'm in Horizon combat withdrawal already.

That was definitely one of my favorite ending cutscenes next to The Last of Us and The Last Guardian. I was doing some undignified sniffling.. Horizon has been probably one of my biggest surprises in years, considering I was contemplating cancelling my pre-order even two days before release. Horizon was a clever, grounded, plausible world, that had answers to back up your questions, that also disturbingly hit waaay to close to home - it's all too plausible. The world building was incredible, as were the stories told by the data points and audio logs, that were funny, heartwrenching, and disturbing all at once. I loved the circular themes of the game, all of which are a bit spoilerific - but everything beautifully resolved by the end. I also think they did a great job at satisfyingly resolving the game's story, without blocking off any potential for a sequel - it's not easy to do both. If there is more Horizon, I think the story will naturally flow into the next game. Aloy is a wonderful, full-realized character, that could have easily been narmy or overly cliched. She's a great combo of sensible, self-aware writing, and wonderful voice work from Ashly Burch. (All the awards for Burch, lawd.)

There's definitely a bit of clunk that needs to be tightened up here and there. The facial animation and the weird dialogue pauses in cutscenes were two elements that kept breaking my suspension of disbelief, especially considering how superb the character models were and how great the voice work all-round. Even though the in-game UI was great, I'd love if there was a way to access more weapons without going into the menu. I didn't love the menu, and I wish it was easier to see what was attached to each weapon at a quick glance, instead of slowly scrolling and checking info on the right.

I don't say this often, but I'll take any DLC, GG. ANY DLC. GIMME.

...I also think half the side-quests givers, both male and female, wanted to get into Aloy's pants. Get it, Ginger Queen.

zulux21

Finished/Platinum'd Horizon, with 67hrs on Hard at 96.14% completion. (I think you could shave ten hours off that time for the platinum, but I spent a lot of time messing around!) I think I will genuinely come back and clean up the data points I'm missing sometime, because I'm in Horizon combat withdrawal already.

given what people posted you could shave 30 hours off that plat on your first play (we have people reporting it took them 37 hours), and I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a sub 25 hour plat if you speed ran it and skipped the cutscenes and rushed the dialogue :p

granted speed to plat doesn't really matter as long as you had fun getting there.
I won't be getting a plat but it seems like my wife will be.

zulux21

so.... I didn't have any issues while playing, but anyone else seeing the rockbreakers ragdoll really badly. I am watching my wife play and her dead rockbreaker looks like it is breathing and it's sliding away from her as she tries to loot it causing her to keep running after it to loot it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really hope we get DLC and its a meaty expansion instead of just smaller stuff like skins and what not. I'd love a Witcher 3 stlye, old school full on expansion pack that adds a big meaty campaign for the game, we're talking Hearts of Stone size as Blood and Wine size might be a bit much for them but I'd be game. Hell if GG can give us a villain anywhere close to the evil of Gaunter O'Dimm and I'd be in Heaven.

given what people posted you could shave 30 hours off that plat on your first play (we have people reporting it took them 37 hours), and I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a sub 25 hour plat if you speed ran it and skipped the cutscenes and rushed the dialogue :p

granted speed to plat doesn't really matter as long as you had fun getting there.
I won't be getting a plat but it seems like my wife will be.

37hrs?! Goddamn! ....I spent a lot of time messing around then. I enjoyed myself thoroughly, and as you said, as long as you have fun getting there!

zulux21

I really hope we get DLC and its a meaty expansion instead of just smaller stuff like skins and what not. I'd love a Witcher 3 stlye, old school full on expansion pack that adds a big meaty campaign for the game, we're talking Hearts of Stone size as Blood and Wine size might be a bit much for them but I'd be game. Hell if GG can give us a villain anywhere close to the evil of Gaunter O'Dimm and I'd be in Heaven.

there are actually 2 story points that could easily make for meaty expansions.

(vague spoilers)

Rost's backstory could easily be made into a 5-10 hour expansion
You could also do an expansion covering the history.

(in detail spoilers to the second one)
You could easily make a stand alone expansion ala uncharted 4 covering the history, you could go into far more detail with your alpha team, perhaps through the general, meanwhile the gameplay could be focused on fighting off the waves of robots to stall for time. the only obvious downside is that you can't create a "good" ending as given the history it has to end with you losing. that being said they could aim for a tearjerker story covering the loss of war or something.

edit: now my wife is permanently dying... the dying noise glitched and over the story Aloy is just repeatedly grunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom