• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Study the animals enough and what they're weak to and you'll be switching it up in no time. I think my standard load out are the three bow types and a tripcaster. And I'll make adjustments either on the fly or based on enemy type. Maining the Hunter Arrows is playing the game wrong in a way.

I definitely relied on the bow and trip caster too much early on. Once I got some tips in here and got in the swing of things my strategy shifted a ton.

My standard load out ended up being (all purple weapons, but forget the names)-A hunter bow with fire, hunting and hardpoint arrows, sharpshot bow with harvest, precision and tear arrows, ropecaster for tying things down, and blast sling with blast bombs, sticky bombs and proximity bombs.

My general strategy was tie things down with ropecaster, tear arrows to blow off weapons and weak spots, sling bombs for DPS to kill after that (or pick up weapons knocked off of some robots and use those). Occasionally used the trip caster when it was a battle I wanted to set up for, or a sling with ice bombs for double damage (but that's not really needed playing on normal).

I struggled a lot early on, game was pretty easy (but still tense in places--which is how I like it as I'm not big on challenge) once I mixed up my arsenal and tactics a little.

How is everyone finishing with 55+ hours? I wish it took me that long since I really enjoyed the game. I felt like I didn't fast travel much and explored the whole map. Even have every camp. Platinum at 39 hours. Hopefully I missed something!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How is everyone finishing with 55+ hours? I wish it took me that long since I really enjoyed the game. I felt like I didn't fast travel much and explored the whole map. Even have every camp. Platinum at 39 hours. Hopefully I missed something!

I didn't bother going out of my way to get things like vantage points and Banuk figurines while I was doing the quests so I had to go back and get a lot of those. I was at the final quest and hadn't even had a single Banuk figurine and only like 2 vantage points. That's a lot of running around for collecting stuff. I also get side tracked hunting.

Uj59pJi.gif

You could probably tear through this game using fast travel and mounts. I've been walking everywhere and it's going to take me a while to finish.

Zanzura

Checked my e-mails to see if I got the Platinum theme and yep, received it. NA region, more specifically Canada. Signed up for marketing e-mails a few months ago and got those platinum notifications a few times including one for Infamous which was odd since I finished that a long time ago.

I definitely relied on the bow and trip caster too much early on. Once I got some tips in here and got in the swing of things my strategy shifted a ton.

My standard load out ended up being (all purple weapons, but forget the names)-A hunter bow with fire, hunting and hardpoint arrows, sharpshot bow with harvest, precision and tear arrows, ropecaster for tying things down, and blast sling with blast bombs, sticky bombs and proximity bombs.

My general strategy was tie things down with ropecaster, tear arrows to blow off weapons and weak spots, sling bombs for DPS to kill after that (or pick up weapons knocked off of some robots and use those). Occasionally used the trip caster when it was a battle I wanted to set up for, or a sling with ice bombs for double damage (but that's not really needed playing on normal).

I struggled a lot early on, game was pretty easy (but still tense in places--which is how I like it as I'm not big on challenge) once I mixed up my arsenal and tactics a little.
I've been using the ropecaster more recently. It's great on Glinthawks since I just fucking hate those things since it just slams them to the ground and you can either critical them or melee them. I mostly tie down stuff like Stormbird and Thunderjaw though really it just depends on the fight. I think since I like how chaotic the fights can get I don't usually slow it down by tying stuff up, I just try to work around the mobility of the robots.

EL CUCO

I finished with 44hrs last night just mostly doing main quest missions. I didn't fast travel very much tho.

ty_hot

To give you some idea of your level of growth within the game, soon enough you'll be taking down 2 or 3 of those guys at a time just out in the wilds.

Yeah I know, but then there will be another machine that will be as difficult as this one is now. Which is totally fine. But I think I just need to understand how/when to use all the items (I currently dont use any of them, only the one for health replenishment lol) and it will be ok. I started using the traps because I couldnt beat the machines only with arrows anymore.

About meating machines stronger than me, I like it because I cant just run in the middle of the mountain not caring if there are enemies around me as I can in 99% of other open worlds. I travelled 1000 (feet? idk what is that distance) by foot to get to the Calderon because there were many enemies everywhere and I couldnt fight them all at once. It was the first time that I actually had fun / had to pay attention by walking/running in a game.

Mathieran

Banned
I think I'm about 30 hours in and only about 35% done last time I checked. I get distracted very easily. I have a hard time turning down a fight with anything tougher than a scrapper. This morning I went past thunderjaws and sawtooths while working on a side quest and it took a lot of willpower to do it but I wanted to finish the quest before I had to get ready for the day.

I've cleared out the Nora area except for two collectibles. Just left a couple days ago and I've been slowly chipping away at some sidequests. I'm probably gonna end up with at least 75 hours.

kitzkozan

I have a feeling that we might see a couple of Horizon ZD gifs in the Mass Effect OT if the animations aren't up to par lol (and they sure don't seem to be). :p

I think I'm about 30 hours in and only about 35% done last time I checked. I get distracted very easily. I have a hard time turning down a fight with anything tougher than a scrapper. This morning I went past thunderjaws and sawtooths while working on a side quest and it took a lot of willpower to do it but I wanted to finish the quest before I had to get ready for the day.

I've cleared out the Nora area except for two collectibles. Just left a couple days ago and I've been slowly chipping away at some sidequests. I'm probably gonna end up with at least 75 hours.
Yeah, that's how I played, hit level 50 with only like half of the story wrapped up. The big enemies can still you wreck you though any level, so it really is more about your gear and strategy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just blazing through story quests now, up to
deep secrets of the earth
. Ill probably wrap it up today, or tomorow for sure. Just in time for Nier on friday I guess.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
How is everyone finishing with 55+ hours?...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm quite happy roaming around hunting machines and exploring the different areas of the map, or just wandering and taking in the gorgeous scenery (so many screenshots for wallpaper). I've been in no rush to get to the next quest. Maybe that's how my hours are adding up.

daveo42

Banned

I spent a ton of time early on in stealth and probably wasn't following whatever optimal path to clear side content and exploration points. I also spent more time just exploring ruins to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also fought some of the massive robots pretty much the first time I saw them and very often in the first half of the game, stumbling through combat till I had some good strategies down. That's my guess on differences.

I just love the gameplay loop in this game.

I recorded these 15 mins yesterday and unfortunately they look like ass because HDR was enabled.
But still, this is just soo much fun.

Took down a Thunderjaw and then a herd of tramplers afterwards. I usually don't use traps like that, but it made me feel like a skilled hunter :D
This is on "Hard".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXhKjhNInA

Believe it or not I actually do enjoy playing this as a bit of a stealth game, it can be quite tense. I've actually stealthed my way through that Stalker forest area and had some cool "Oh shit" moments. I over rode a Stalker and left it there only to have a Stalker a couple of feet next to me which made me dive into the bushes. And yeah...the heavy stealth outfit with two stealth mods adding up to like 128 in the stealth stat is legit. If I was wearing anything else I'm sure it would've pounced on my ass, but it just left me alone. I mentally dubbed the stealth gameplay "Aloy Gear Solid." Also the Corruption Arrows really add to the stealth cause you can just have two enemies fight each other to cause a distraction as you just waltz by hearing the carnage in the background. Did this to a set of Ravagers and laughed my ass off.

kitzkozan

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm quite happy roaming around hunting machines and exploring the different areas of the map, or just wandering and taking in the gorgeous scenery (so many screenshots for wallpaper). I've been in no rush to get to the next quest. Maybe that's how my hours are adding up.

I also tend to get distracted fighting and hunting machines, because it's fun to do so. :] Granted, I'm still in the beginning hours of the game but I'll focus mostly on the MS. Saying that, I'm sure that I'm going to aim for the platinum trophy since it doesn't seem like it require excessive grinding.

tommyguns

The lighting in this game is bizarre. I am playing on a Pro and HDR. (KS8000 65 inch.)

Sometimes the lighting is so spot on and realistic looking. Other times it will be night time, and then a sudden switch to night and vice versa. Very weird. Reminds me of someone just flicking a switch and turning the light on

Took me 62hs to finish the game without fast traveling at all. 69hs for platinum with fast travel (collectibles and some blazing suns and corrupted zones).

Sometimes I traveled 4000mts on horseback to explore or visiting different places for quest and stuff.

Dave_6

Finally took on a Stormbird for the first time last night. Took me a few mins but I took it down without dying though I used a ton of my resources. Now to do the same to a Thunderjaw...

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I also tend to get distracted fighting and hunting machines, because it's fun to do so. :]

I don't know how much time I've spent stalking the Stalkers in the jungle basin below Meridian. It's so good.

MaKTaiL

I finished with 90h. I often stopped doing quests and started hunting for Text Logs and hunting random machines, I completed the last main mission and got the platinum trophy at the same time. I collected all audio/text logs available in the game and I'm still playing it.

BigDug13

You could probably tear through this game using fast travel and mounts. I've been walking everywhere and it's going to take me a while to finish.

My problem with mounts is that I'm usually needing to replenish health herbs.

I do still summon one though in case he wants to help fight.

Zanzura

Yea, nothing here either.

There's a 2 day gap from when I received the "Congratulations" e-mail and when I received the theme. I think you need to be signed up for the Playstation marketing newsletter as well. It could also just be a regional thing. I remember the EU region got a theme for plat'ing Bloodborne.

LiK

There's a 2 day gap from when I received the "Congratulations" e-mail and when I received the theme. I think you need to be signed up for the Playstation marketing newsletter as well. It could also just be a regional thing. I remember the EU region got a theme for plat'ing Bloodborne.

yea, I'm in NA. Got the Bloodborne one way later because NA didn't get it as early as EU. I guess it's the same thing here.

How do you change the profile? I've just been using whatever the default setting is when I plug in my headset.

You have to download the Headset Companion App from the PS Store and have some of the PlayStation headsets (Silver, Gold, Elite, Platinum).
Edit: Then you start the app, pick your headset and you'll see some profiles for games and settings that you could set up.

LiK

There's really no headset profile for Horizon? GG is really good with their audio surround. Horizon sounded fine with surround setup but for some reason they haven't been able to hit the same oomph from Killzone 2. Even KZ3 and KZSF didn't sound as good. Not sure what changed.

Falchion

You have to download the Headset Companion App from the PS Store and have some of the PlayStation headsets (Silver, Gold, Elite, Platinum).
Edit: Then you start the app, pick your headset and you'll see some profiles for games and settings that you could set up.

Ok nice, I have the Silver so I'll be sure to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom