• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
niKU6h8.gif

Laekon

Is this really more of an action game instead of an RPG? I have pretty shitty reflexes, I'm horrible at 1st person shooter multiplayer and other action combat games. In looking at videos of this game it seems combat is heavily based on reflex skills. Western RPG's, especially open world ones, is my favorite genre and I'm think I should pick this up and wait on Mass Effect.

zulux21

Is this really more of an action game instead of an RPG? I have pretty shitty reflexes, I'm horrible at 1st person shooter multiplayer and other action combat games. In looking at videos of this game it seems combat is heavily based on reflex skills. Western RPG's, especially open world ones, is my favorite genre and I'm think I should pick this up and wait on Mass Effect.

eh it's more of an action game then rpg, but at the same time on easy for sure you wouldn't need tight reflexes as you have skills that slow time and allow you to zoom in and aim for stuff.

HvySky

Story spoilers, heads up. Was gonna go to the spoiler thread but haven't finished the game yet, so didn't want to hear about anything further along than I am, untagged.

To those who have finished the game.

Anyone else kinda bummed out by the
seemingly massive amount of exposition dumping
in this game? I've just
found out what Project Zero Dawn really is and am currently making my way through its facility, learning about GAIA. The premise itself is really cool, but the way they're just laying it all out there MGS4 style along with human enemy encounters (my least favorite part of the game) peppered in there for good measure is really killing my vibe. Also doesn't help that there's like 20 bajillion text / audio logs in every room, too.
I'm still loving the game overall and have about 35 hours clocked, but this most recent part has had the wind in my sails die down a little.

Razgreez

Game stats show i killed 19 raccoons and got, if i recall correctly, at least 3 or 4 skins from those kills along with maybe 4 bones. RNGsus has been generous

Story spoilers, heads up. Was gonna go to the spoiler thread but haven't finished the game yet, so didn't want to hear about anything further along than I am, untagged.

in this game? I've just
found out what Project Zero Dawn really is and am currently making my way through its facility, learning about GAIA. The premise itself is really cool, but the way they're just laying it all out there MGS4 style along with human enemy encounters (my least favorite part of the game) peppered in there for good measure is really killing my vibe. Also doesn't help that there's like 20 bajillion text / audio logs in every room, too.
I'm still loving the game overall and have about 35 hours clocked, but this most recent part has had the wind in my sails die down a little.

Yeah it's been discussed, some people like it others don't, I'm leaning towards liking it because the story is too good but there's a lot of that style of storytelling and even if I was fascinated the whole time I don't consider it a good way of telling things, at least not as much time as Horizon uses it.
At least dialogues and writing are mostly great.

TheFatMan

Every time I play this game I am blown away by how amazing it is. At this point it's going to be super hard to top as my GOTY and I can say that with some confidence.

Only 2 more main missions left (I think). Then sadness.

SlickVic

One thing I really like is the map artwork. When you zoom in it has a really nice 3D effect that effectively distinguishes the areas of elevation such as mountains. It's pretty to look at, but also helps to map out what roads to take to get down from mountains.

Razgreez

in this game? I've just

Yeah it's been discussed, some people like it others don't, I'm leaning towards liking it because the story is too good but there's a lot of that style of storytelling and even if I was fascinated the whole time I don't consider it a good way of telling things, at least not as much time as Horizon uses it.
At least dialogues and writing are mostly great.

I'm trying to think of a better way of communicating this information with the player (who is actually interested in it) and it's difficult finding a solution. More holos? More cutscenes? Leave it outside the game? (worst practice ever). Extend the game with interactive exposition cutscenes (holos are sort of like this)? No matter the potential solution some will still not appreciate it.

Yopis

I hate how static the cities and Npcs are. No real reaction to anything you do. Rest is really great. Hope to finish up this weekend.

I wish they made Thunderjaws roam the wilds like a lone Trex. It's weird watching it do a circle in one area.
This is an area that Guerrilla can rework. Perhaps they did that so that the player wouldn't have to run into infinitely chasing enemies. But it would be really cool if Thunderjaws and especially Stormbirds patrolled a massive area. Perhaps what I asking for is a game that is a lot harder on the player. But that probably wouldn't fly with Sony.

I'm trying to think of a better way of communicating this information with the player (who is actually interested in it) and it's difficult finding a solution. More holos? More cutscenes? Leave it outside the game? (worst practice ever). Extend the game with interactive exposition cutscenes (holos are sort of like this)? No matter the potential solution some will still not appreciate it.

The game is designed that way and it works so in order to change the storytelling they would probably have to change or redesign quite a lot in the main quests and how they deliver information.
Besides, this first game required a lot of explanation so it was somehow a trap difficult to avoid. It's really far from being my main complain in the game but I expect a better handling of it in a potential sequel.

They're really different games but they both at least seem to share their horrible facial animations XD

I completely disagree - Horizon's facial animations are a step above all the other open world RPGs with multiple dialogue options.

ME is not even as good as TW3.

Every time I play this game I am blown away by how amazing it is. At this point it's going to be super hard to top as my GOTY and I can say that with some confidence.

Only 2 more main missions left (I think). Then sadness.

Yeah the more I play it, the better it gets. I hope GG are looking into an expansion pack of sorts.

Will this stop me from getting the
All Allies Joined Trophy
t0Whp4O.jpg

I Done all the side quest and to my knowledge i haven't killed any of the Allies

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just can't believe this game. 15 hours in and my jaw is still on the floor every time I enter a new location or encounter a new enemy. This has somehow turned into the dinosaur roaming adventure game that I never knew I wanted. I've entered the western half of the map for the first time and I just can't believe my eyes sometimes. The visuals are SO. FUCKING. GOOD. Honest to God I feel like I'm playing a game from the future. Like, it shouldn't look this good and perform this well. One thing this game does extraordinarily well is scale: mountains look and FEEL like mountains. Valleys look and FEEL as perilous as they should. Caves look and FEEL as beckoning and captivating as they should. Speaking of mountains, this might have the best mountains I've ever seen in a video game. They're incredibly rugged with lots of uneven terrain, and scaling them feels really good compared to lots of other games. Helps that the visuals look unbelievable (particularly when the sun is setting or rising against the landscape).

But again, the enemies... Seeing a river full of Snapmaws FEELS as dangerous as it should. To literally go out of my way to skirt the perimeter of the water rather than swim through to the other side is an incredible feeling because this game's world is STILL dangerous. Finally, I'm not overpowered in a video game to the point where danger is nonexistent. These mechs will absolutely fuck you up.

tl;dr This game is an amazing experience and the world is easily in the best open worlds ever.

Your gifs need a separate thread. I'm serious, it's a shame not every user on GAF has seen them. They're amazing and Horizon deserves the views.

everyer

So far I really enjoy the story telling in this game, the NPCs' dialogue and voice acting are so good, even better than Witcher 3 for me.

I love the world, I love hunting, I love the guys with their stories.

So far I really enjoy the story telling in this game, the NPCs' dialogue and voice acting are so good, even better than Witcher 3 for me.

I love the world, I love hunting, I love the guys with their stories.
You'll love the story told via the vantages then. I highly recommend getting all of them!

Slixshot

Banned
I just can't believe this game. 15 hours in and my jaw is still on the floor every time I enter a new location or encounter a new enemy. This has somehow turned into the dinosaur roaming adventure game that I never knew I wanted. I've entered the western half of the map for the first time and I just can't believe my eyes sometimes. The visuals are SO. FUCKING. GOOD. Honest to God I feel like I'm playing a game from the future. Like, it shouldn't look this good and perform this well. One thing this game does extraordinarily well is scale: mountains look and FEEL like mountains. Valleys look and FEEL as perilous as they should. Caves look and FEEL as beckoning and captivating as they should. Speaking of mountains, this might have the best mountains I've ever seen in a video game. They're incredibly rugged with lots of uneven terrain, and scaling them feels really good compared to lots of other games. Helps that the visuals look unbelievable (particularly when the sun is setting or rising against the landscape).

But again, the enemies... Seeing a river full of Snapmaws FEELS as dangerous as it should. To literally go out of my way to skirt the perimeter of the water rather than swim through to the other side is an incredible feeling because this game's world is STILL dangerous. Finally, I'm not overpowered in a video game to the point where danger is nonexistent. These mechs will absolutely fuck you up.

tl;dr This game is an amazing experience and the world is easily in the best open worlds ever.

Your gifs need a separate thread. I'm serious, it's a shame not every user on GAF has seen them. They're amazing and Horizon deserves the views.

and it came from Guerilla. A Sony exclusive studio. <-- That amazes me to no end. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed Killzone, but this game is literally on another level to almost any other game I have ever played, let alone the Killzone series. What a game. Might end up being in my top 5 ever depending on how the rest of the game goes (I have a lot left).

JVIDICAN

Anyone else find it a bit odd opening supply crates in the old facilities and finding "modern" loot like Ridgewood and the like.

Nitpicking aside, i'm loving the game. Easily my favorite this year so far.

krae_man

Well that was interesting. I just completed the third last mission and something neat happened.

I went up there to Gaia to get the collectables up there earlier and it triggered a cutscene where a stormbird came in. I killed it, got the collectable and went on my way.

When the story mission for me to go there happened, when I got up there, there was no stormbird battle and Aloy said "ah, that's what they were protecting"

Cool they factored that in

VanWinkle

One thing I really like is the map artwork. When you zoom in it has a really nice 3D effect that effectively distinguishes the areas of elevation such as mountains. It's pretty to look at, but also helps to map out what roads to take to get down from mountains.

The map is one of my favorites ever in a game.

JVIDICAN

Pretty sure that's just for gameplay purposes
Oh definitely. And I appreciated the resources since they really stocked you up well in those spots. Just found it weird opening a box in a hundreds of year old location and finding wood, trip wire, shards, and bombs. Lol.

wapplew

Just started FF15 yesterday, I missed Horizon map already.

VanWinkle

So I have a question. I am going to say this without spoiler tags because it's within the first five hours of the game and it doesn't have to do with the story.

There was a time I came upon a vantage point and saw ruins of an old building. I picked up a datapoint and it allowed me to play a hologram that showed what the building used to look like, perfectly overlaid over the ruins, along with some audio or text (can't remember which). I thought it was SO COOL. But I'm now 30 hours in and have explored almost all of the map and I have not once seen something like it again. Am I just missing them or something?

This should be something over ANY interesting landmark.

JBwB

So I have a question. I am going to say this without spoiler tags because it's within the first five hours of the game and it doesn't have to do with the story.

There was a time I came upon a vantage point and saw ruins of an old building. I picked up a datapoint and it allowed me to play a hologram that showed what the building used to look like, perfectly overlaid over the ruins, along with some audio or text (can't remember which). I thought it was SO COOL. But I'm now 30 hours in and have explored almost all of the map and I have not once seen something like it again. Am I just missing them or something?

This should be something over ANY interesting landmark.

You can purchase an item that shows where they're located on the map from traders.

Just finished it and got the plat too.
Outstanding game, enjoyed the story and the gameplay, good job GG.
Aloy was a great heroine, really liked her attitude and her character design.

in this game? I've just

I hear you. This game reminds me of Quantum Break very much in that regard and I can see why it could be off putting to some. As soon as I enter a facility in HZD I'm expecting to find and read/hear/watch these collectibles which bring nuance and make me attached to the world Guerilla is building. Thankfully unlike QB it doesn't destroy the pace of the game.

But I agree that a better solution for these expo dumps would have been better. 10 after Bioshock and devs still haven't solved how to introduce exposition into the game. Personally I didn't mind since I was fully invested in the narrative.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the reason this thread has so many views :p

lol True, but shit man, they're so amazing that I wouldn't just mind having them all listed neatly in one thread to be looked at by EVERYONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom