• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elandyll

Banned
Probably already been reported, but with the Review thread being closed it's hard to tell.

Edge is now included on MC, and with a total of 93 critics counted, HZD is pretty much definitely at 88.
Grats to GG, amazing achievement and it looks like sales are reflective of the quality of the game :)

The most recent reviews beside Edge (90) are

Critical Hit (90)
Sydney Morning Herald (90)
Game World Navigator (81)
and
IB Times UK (80)

Overall

100: 9
90-99: 50
80-89: 29
70-79: 3
60-69: 1
50-59: 1
No negatives (sub 50)

Alright so I've, we've, all played a lot of cinematic games with as close to lifelike acting and emoting and physicality as possible (LOU, UC4) but I swear to god when *first 20 minutes spoilers*
young Alloy responds "hi" to the holograph, wanting to simply talk to someone, to say hi to another person,
I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

Cauldron Sigma:

This bellowback is kicking my ass. My strategy has been to placing explosive traps to take out the watchers that enter, and putting tripwires and shock traps on the path to nail critical attacks

This was the fight when I learned that traps are a necessity so survive some of the bigger fights.

KZObsessed

Intro was amazing. Voice acting, music, all great so far.

Controls beautifully. Responsive but Aloy has a weight to her animations. Feels great.

The Lamp

I realistically don't think I can swing buying this right now after spending so much on the Switch, accessories and games but the hype is contagious and I would love to see what all the fuss is about for myself.

Are we looking at the next "Last of Us" here? It really does look that phenomenonal.

The story isn't THAT tightly executed. But it's really well-done, definitely moreso than most bloated open world RPGs

VanWinkle

Probably already been reported, but with the Review thread being closed it's hard to tell.

Edge is now included on MC, and with a total of 93 critics counted, HZD is pretty much definitely at 88.
Grats to GG, amazing achievement and it looks like sales are reflective of the quality of the game :)

The most recent reviews beside Edge (90) are

Critical Hit (90)
Sydney Morning Herald (90)
Game World Navigator (81)
and
IB Times UK (80)

Overall

100: 9
90-99: 50
80-89: 29
70-79: 3
60-69: 1
50-59: 1
No negatives (sub 50)

There are almost twice as many 100s as there are scores under 80. That's pretty amazing.

Alright so I've, we've, all played a lot of cinematic games with as close to lifelike acting and emoting and physicality as possible (LOU, UC4) but I swear to god when *first 20 minutes spoilers*
young Alloy responds "hi" to the holograph, wanting to simply talk to someone, to say hi to another person,
I fucking lost it.

Bravo.
That shit warmed my heart. Aloy had me at that point.

tmac456

just took down a
stalker
in that one side quest. goddamn that thing was wild

also, just fought bandits and a guy had the firespitter. holy fuck @ the sound of this thing

Dave_6

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

Agreed, great moment!

Anyone know what's up with the black crush in this game? Running on a base PS4 using HDR mode and a KS8000, and there are some combinations of envionment/time of day when I can barely see anything.

Four hours in and I'm already getting Witcher 3 vibes which is the highest compliment I can give.

Such a wonderfully realised world by GG and the game is a technical behemoth. Can't wait to get stuck in more tomorrow.

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

I agree. The game got me hooked from that moment on.

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

Saaaame! I felt it in my gut.

Tomeru

First Cauldron fight. Man, that was awesome. I really dig the combat system, the way you have to think on your feet (playing on very hard).

Cathcart

The first 4 hours of story are just amazing, I'll even say that I think this beats anything ND produced, yes even the TLOU beginning.

Horizon is great and all but this is just absurd. The beginning is fine and all but so far it's the worst part of the game. Everything after the provening has been fantastic.

Truant

Did I miss anything? They said on the Beastcast that you learned what happened to the old humans in the intro, but all I got was a couple of audio logs.

Question: is it only possible to override machines stealthily? Can I not override a machine after tying it down with the ropecaster?

Not 100 percent sure since I haven't tried it, but you can override then if they get knocked down after taking a critical hit, so I'm sure you can as long as it's on its side.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Either there are less sidequests than I thought or I'm missing some. Can anyone just quickly tell me how many there are in the starting area? The only ones I saw/did were:

Brom/Olara, father/daughter and Errands for the old spirit lady.

I was just made a Seeker so outside there's probably more quests but is that it for inside for at least this point in time?

First Cauldron fight. Man, that was awesome. I really dig the combat system, the way you have to think on your feet (playing on very hard).
The big machine fights are the gen's versions of Bioshock's Big Daddies. You better be prepared and have your plan ready before engaging

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

Yup, such a small moment, but actually impacted me.

____

Cauldron Sigma:

This bellowback is kicking my ass. My strategy has been to placing explosive traps to take out the watchers that enter, and putting tripwires and shock traps on the path to nail critical attacks

Honestly, I killed the watchers first with headshot, then spammed the dodge/roll and just focused arrows (don't make the mistake of using fire arrows) on the weak points. Its power went down pretty steadily until I was able to kill it.

Now that 2nd Cauldron? Shheeeeiiiiiiiitttttttt......

Ferr986

Just played for a bit, other than the graphics talk, I enjoyed the combat.
I just wish that melee attacks were faster, but dunno if it would be broken... I mean, lance seems OP as fuck atleast early now.

Go into crafting in your menu and click on the pouches tab! The first upgrades are cheap and require common resources. After that you need to get specific things off of the wildlife, whose regions are marked on the map similar to Far Cry.

Thank you!

-----

Does anyone happen to know what each icon on the map means? The camp fire is obvious but there are a few others.

gfxtwin

Game is dope, but hope there's a patch soon because I'm running into glitches and janky moments way more than you'd expect to find in a AAA game.

J-Skee

Did I miss anything? They said on the Beastcast that you learned what happened to the old humans in the intro, but all I got was a couple of audio logs.

I'm pretty sure that's all there was, unless they stumbled upon something accidentally like I did early on. I'm going to mark the spoilers very carefully as to not ruin your enjoyment.

You can go right back to those same ruins once you get control of adult Aloy
&
there's a written description of the last moments of the old humans.
It's still a little vague, but you'll probably understand more after reading it.

Either there are less sidequests than I thought or I'm missing some. Can anyone just quickly tell me how many there are in the starting area? The only ones I saw/did were:

Brom/Olara, father/daughter and Errands for the old spirit lady.

I was just made a Seeker so outside there's probably more quests but is that it for inside for at least this point in time?

Pretty much all I got before tackling the main quest.

fastmower

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.
I want more people to talk about this scene. It was amazing.

impirius

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.
That and the
little skip she does after Rost tells her he's going to teach her to hunt
were great.

BumRush

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

Completely agree. Such a realistic reaction. GG nailed that.

wig

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

This was the moment I fell in love with
Aloy. My heart broke for her. She's too pure and innocent for her corrupt world!

ch4fx_

I fucking lost it.

Bravo.

I had one of those "I'm not gonna cry... I'm NOT gonna cry" moments during that scene.

zkorejo

If there is any one complain I have about the game so far it is the weather changing abruptly. Its not as bad as Mafia but if it transitioned a bit slower then it would seem perfect.

Enemy machines so far are easy. Bellowbacks take a bit more damage (need a better bow I guess). Sawtooths when more than 1 are a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom