• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you guys handling side quests/errands? Are you doing them before/after main quest or just completely avoiding them and doing mainly the main quests?

I want to know the best way to play this.

As long as it isn't a hunting grounds thing I'm going through, getting all the side quests from one location, doing them, and then advancing the main story. I think it's leveling me up too quickly so I might have to up the difficulty from normal but then I hit a new machine and it feels tough again so I dunno.

This game is just amazing. I really wish my Witcher 3 game hadn't glitched out and ruined my save because this is making me want to go back to that once I'm finished.

Iceternal

Don't you guys think the cutscenes are a little awkward ?

It's like the sound mix is off ... or they lack good direction. But they're often awkwardly quiet.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm gonna echo the sentiment that others have already laid out about Aloy being a great character. Her voice acting is great, and I love her personality, and empathize with the shitty hand she's been dealt with in life. I just got through the proving this morning.

I gotta say even though the lip syncing is a little off, the facial expressions of everyone are really good.
Especially Aloy. I totally buy her anger when she's a kid, or her sadness and desperation after the computer ai can't scan her.
If you don't sit there and stare at their mouth it's pretty believable.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Don't you guys think the cutscenes are a little awkward ?

It's like the sound mix is off ... or they lack good direction. But they're often awkwardly quiet.

I will say sometimes a cutscene can feel a little off. I've noticed it for sure. It's slightly immersion breaking. One of the very few minor gripes I have with the game so far.

I do whatever quest is closest to my current level.

It's been a nice balance, doesn't feel like too much story at one time, and doesn't feel like too much time running around doing side stuff.

Same here. I collect the sidequests and then do them when I hit/get close to the recommended level.

Ken Adams

The only way I've found to turn off the on screen quest marker is to go into your quests screen, find which quest is currently active, and "deactivate quest". However, it will appear again everytime you get a new quest since new quests automatically become "active" and you have to repeat the proccess. That's my one big complaint.

I've tried turning off Quest Pathfinding, and changing all HUD item to Always Off, but the quest marker is always there when you have an active quest.

Ye i just wanna explore without the damn marker, Hopefully they can add the option to turn it off in a patch or something.

pip77

How are you guys handling side quests/errands? Are you doing them before/after main quest or just completely avoiding them and doing mainly the main quests?

I want to know the best way to play this.

The way you play it, it's up to you. I have been tackling side quests, errands, and collectibles in between main quests.

BeeDog

The game makes a great first impression. The intro eases you in at a decent pace, and some of the very early cutscenes, like
kid Aloy's reaction to the hologram
, are quite excellent.

The voice acting and writing is good so far, not great, and the graphics are pretty damn swell. One graphical issue that has been bothering me with Guerrilla's engine for some time, and which never seems to be brought up, is how it handles quick cuts in cutscenes and similar. Every time the camera repositions/reframes, you can see clothes, hair, shadows etc. jump or readjust for a fraction of a second. Seems GG will never be able to beat this minor thing from its engine.

Vitacat

Played a few hours last night. Took down the sawtooth.

Wonderful, amazing, gorgeous game. I only have a regular PS4, but this looks so good, I don't care about it looking any better.

Birth of a new AAA franchise, for sure.

Nesotenso

played about 10 hrs yesterday and reached level 10. Just had finished the proving. I love the game play so far. playing on hard and i think I will stick with this difficulty level.

You can make educated guesses as to where the story is going when you look collect the voice recordings in the ruins and seeing the cut scenes after the proving. Not sure I like where this is possibly heading. Final judgement on story after finishing the whole thing.

I definitely like Aloy as a character though.

CHC

This game is a lot bigger than I expected. I thought it would be like an Assassin's Creed level of length / dialogue / side quests.

Google

Can we talk about how well done the map is in terms of geology?

Like, it's a 3D model so you can work out where you need to scale hills/mountains.

Garlador

Blast. Just realized the European version I ordered has codes that aren't applicable to my PSN account from the US. I'll have to see if I can't get those swapped for region-accurate ones.

I guess I just found out the hard way that the system may be region-free, but the bonus codes certainly aren't.

MaKTaiL

played about 10 hrs yesterday and reached level 10. Just had finished the proving. I love the game play so far. playing on hard and i think I will stick with this difficulty level.

You can make educated guesses as to where the story is going when you look collect the voice recordings in the ruins and seeing the cut scenes after the proving. Not sure I like where this is possibly heading. Final judgement on story after finishing the whole thing.

I definitely like Aloy as a character though.
You have no idea where it's heading, trust me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Yeah this really impressed me. I know at least one other game has done this but can't recall what it was.

AC Unity and (I believe Syndicate) did this as well, but you could also angle the map to a more horizontal view.

Dinda

Damn, the standard edition seems to be sold out on amazon.de, shows will be ready in 1-3 months. (I'm sure Sony won't let them wait this long)

Is the Insult to Injury side quest bugged for anyone else?

It's the one where
you have to check 2 supply caches on brave trials for dreamwillow. I can't get to the other cache because Aloy won't jump on the rope from the side of the rock and the tree platform on the other side has no rungs to climb up from[/SPOILER

edit: nvm figured it out

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
One graphical issue that has been bothering me with Guerrilla's engine for some time, and which never seems to be brought up, is how it handles quick cuts in cutscenes and similar. Every time the camera repositions/reframes, you can see clothes, hair, shadows etc. jump or readjust for a fraction of a second. Seems GG will never be able to beat this minor thing from its engine.

So they've still not smoothed out the transition from cut scene to game? I hope Kojima sorts the detail out.

Frillen

The second ruin in the game has a red door I can't get through. When/how can I get through? It is the ruin with the first Power Cell quest.

CHC

Oh my god the first
Cauldron
is so fucking cool.

Very well incentived, too. It's well done how you acquire new override access

Bucca

So I noticed that with the bow, even if you rapid fire it it does the same amount of damage.

Does pulling the drawstring back all the way (other than accuracy) increase, like, penetration? Like will a Bellowback's sack explode with less arrows if I charge it up more?

BeeDog

So they've still not smoothed out the transition from cut scene to game? I hope Kojima sorts the detail out.

That's not what I'm talking about. Transitions between cutscenes/dialoge and ingame is not bad, I'm talking about when the camera gets readjusted during a dialogue sequence for example, and the loaded models etc. can't keep up. Seems the engine "redraws" objects affected by physics, for a lack of better description.

GG should patch in healing at bonfires. Weird that they missed something like that when Horizon seems pretty solid on the QoL front so far.

The smaller robot fights are honestly kinda boring, but the big robots seem like they will be fun to fight. The Sawtooth was pretty cool. I can only imagine how awesome the Thunderjaw, crocodile robo, etc. will be.

Bucca

GG should patch in healing at bonfires. Weird that they missed something like that when Horizon seems pretty solid on the QoL front so far.

The smaller robot fights are honestly kinda boring, but the big robots seem like they will be fun to fight. The Sawtooth was pretty cool. I can only imagine how awesome the Thunderjaw, crocodile robo, etc. will be.

Just wait till you fight 2 sawtooths at once. Fucking mania.

Man, I'm trying to do the Shadow Hunter Bow tutorial, where you shoot plates from Machines, and I can't seem to get it to work. Are plates different than components? I've shot off a ton of components, but I've only gotten credit for 1 plate so far. This should be easy, but it's totally fucking with me right now!

Fuck me. This game is... Jesus. Like... I don't have the words to describe how much I'm enjoying this game.

The way the weapons are all mechanics, they all have a use, and larger enemies require figuring out which to use. The fact that all the different elemental types have a purpose.

The character design is phenomenal, the dialog is really well written and acted, and the world feels so alive and vibrant.

Fuck man... I wasn't even hyped for this game. And now I'm feeling some sort of temporal distortion that raised my hype levels pre-purchase of this game.

Did I just spend the last hour hunting wildlife and getting distracted with the scenery?

Jesus H Christ.

I even forgot I was going somewhere for a side quest.
Right there with ya. My wife, as usual with games, was beasting through it and she was yelling at me to stay focused, lol.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's not what I'm talking about. Transitions between cutscenes/dialoge and ingame is not bad, I'm talking about when the camera gets readjusted during a dialogue sequence for example, and the loaded models etc. can't keep up. Seems the engine "redraws" objects affected by physics, for a lack of better description.

Oh ok

JakR

I playing the game at very hard and it is a really good challenge for me.

Loving the game and especially the intro.
I think the game has an outstanding introduction coupled with teaching you the ropes of the world/gameplay.

Spoilers ahead for the first 15-30 minutes:

I do not know if I rwad here orit was a topic in movies, but Aloys first introduction is the lion king beginning and Aloy falling in the cave with bats, bats!!! She is hardened like Bruce Wayne. ;)

Just two thoughts to the intro and loving it. Hitting the right notes and etablishing a strong bound between the gamer and Aloy, atleast for me.

Zakalwe

Banned
Screen going dark when you visit a bonfire is pretty annoying, not sure what purpose that is for.

Maybe there was some kind of judder related to saving they couldn't get rid of, so they hid it?

I can't think of any other reason. It's a little annoying.

Cathcart

I would have been content if the whole game was kid Aloy exploring ruins with puzzle elements.

It would have been a really interesting decision for a AAA game to feature a horrendous monstrosity as the player character but this is one case where I'm glad they decided to play it safe.

Nyx

Man the visuals and audio are so good, hunting robo dinos on a rainy night with no HUD is such a great experience.

VanWinkle

Enjoying the game so far. Although
I hate the opening with a passion. I never want to play as a kid in a game again, unless that's the protagonist from the start. Man, it was absolutely awful, and almost turned me off the the game. Thankfully, its over pretty quickly

Combat is what keeps pulling me back and has me itching to keep going. The story, so far, hasn't piqued my attention, but its not annoying at least. My biggest gripes are how bad the facial animation is, and no preroll on cloth or fx when it switches to a cutscene/convo. Really distracting. You have these (mostly) gorgeous character models, and then slap on some poorly executed facial animation?! I'm sure it was a time constraint/tech issue, but it really lowers the overall quality of the game from the animation side.

Dude, what open world RPGs have better facial animation than this game? I was blown away by the quality considering its genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom