• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been rocking performance mode on my PS4 Pro since this morning. I don't care that the resolution mode is downsampled, the performance mode makes the game look way better on a 1080p TV.

Goes from great to stunning.

Apocryphon

I had to turn the difficulty up fairly early on. Doing the side quests before the main story missions and having access to the pre-order armour and weapon meant that I was breezing through it.

The game is incredible. I almost can't believe how polished it is. I can't remember the last game that felt this well rounded at launch!

Visually it's stunning. Obviously GG are no slouches but I never expected this level of fidelity. Everything looks great. Textures, foliage, animations, HAIR!!!, facial expressions, weather systems, ..it's all brilliant!

When I got to the
city
where you climb the
first tallneck
, I somehow ended up running right into
3 fire breathing
bellowbacks
... I don't have a Ropecaster yet so that fight was pretty intense...

I'm currently carrying around almost 3000 shards and I don't really know what to spend them on. I have a heavy purple armour already and I have hunting and sharpshooter bows and a catapult thingy. At what point do you get access to the very rare bows? I'm not in
Meridian
yet...
I just cleared some corrupted areas and killed a corruptor outside of a gate I want to pass through.
How far into the story am I?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I've been rocking performance mode on my PS4 Pro since this morning. I don't care that the resolution mode is downsampled, the performance mode makes the game look way better on a 1080p TV.

Goes from great to stunning.

How so??

If an image is downsampled from a higher resolution to a lower one, that image should look factually better, no?

uhhh I'm in the first cauldron.... tips?

this bellowback is taking like no damage. what am i doing wrong?

Keep firing arrows at its back sack then at it's gullet till they both explode. Should do tons of damage and only leave him with minimal health. Also use the Freeze grenades to freeze him and do extra damage.

Zakalwe

Banned
Man the visuals and audio are so good, hunting robo dinos on a rainy night with no HUD is such a great experience.

It should be the default setting and then offer them if required. I think most players will be able to read the lights on the machines without the need for extra icons, for example.

So much more atmospheric without them.

How so??

If an image is downsampled from a higher resolution to a lower one, that image should look factually better, no?

Yea but the AA solution they use makes the downsampled image softer and I really don't think that works for this game. Especially when the performance mode is as clean is it is.

If they had turned the AA solution down a bit or changed it and downsampled, I think it would look way better.

fastmower

Yea but the AA solution they use makes the downsampled image softer and I really don't think that works for this game. Especially when the performance mode is as clean is it is.

If they had turned the AA solution down a bit or changed it and downsampled, I think it would look way better.
Maybe the performance mode is bugged and that's why it looks so similar to the resolution mode.

hydruxo

When I first got to the
desert
area, I fought a Stormbird for like 20-25 minutes that way overlevelled me just for the hell of it. Slowly tearing off his components with tearaway and precision arrows, while he was shooting those electricity blasts at me. That shit was amazing. I love this game.

Hellshy.

How so??

Keep firing arrows at it's back sack then at it's gullet till they both explode. Should do tons of damage and only leave him with minimal health. Also use the Freeze grenades to freeze him and do extra damage.

I have been using resolution mode on my 1080p plasma but game looks so clean in both modes. I can hardly see a difference with iq.

I am curious what the graphic improvements are in performance mode are. Does anyone happen to know?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I have been using resolution mode on my 1080p plasma but game looks so clean in both modes. I can hardly see a difference with iq.

I am curious what the graphic improvements are in performance mode are. Does anyone happen to know?

I would think there aren't any, that it's the same image output as if it were on a standard PS4 but using the extra power to maintain fps.

Yojimbo99

Neo Member
uhhh I'm in the first cauldron.... tips?

this bellowback is taking like no damage. what am i doing wrong?

Cauldron:

I used the electric charged rope caster I think it is called. A bunch of those and while it was down pelted the main areas with arrows, run/roll setup another and repeat. Took a lot of arrows, but eventually got it. Not sure if there was an easier way.

This game is amazing so far!

Nyx

It should be the default setting and then offer them if required. I think most players will be able to read the lights on the machines without the need for extra icons, for example.

So much more atmospheric without them.

Agreed, and the sound effects help a lot too.

Really wonderful game so far, 6-7 hours in. Can't wait for what is still to come! :)

Jyrii

Banned
After few hours I am really really really liking the game. It is amazing how nice it looks, sounds and runs.

I am just hoping my open world exhaustion doesn't set in.

Freeman76

Really great game. Wasnt on my radar apart from the odd screen i had seen. Have a wierd issue as I thought it was an action game not an RPG, cant get my head round it lol

Mifune

Mehmber
The writing in this game is excellent. I got lost wandering around Mother's Heart listening to stories, talking to villagers, and taking in the lore.

Also, there's a surprising amount of humor here. I laughed out loud at (Mother's Heart early game dialogue)
"I never saw anything hanging from it."

I posted this in the thread that just got closed. Hopefully someone can provide insight...

One of the things that really drew me into the worlds of games like TW3 and ACII was how much the ambient background music shaped the atmosphere of everything around you while you just explored or roamed around.

How is this in Horizon? Is it going to be mostly quiet while I roam around the world, or is music playing consistently?

Mifune

Mehmber
I posted this in the thread that just got closed. Hopefully someone can provide insight...

One of the things that really drew me into the worlds of games like TW3 and ACII was how much the ambient background music shaped the atmosphere of everything around you while you just explored or roamed around.

How is this in Horizon? Is it going to be mostly quiet while I roam around the world, or is music playing consistently?

Constant music TW3 style. And it's quite lovely.

The End

It's soooo good.

Whether intentionally or otherwise it was the perfect game for Sony to put up against Zelda and the Switch launch: gorgeous both artistically and technically, drawing upon a deep well of top-tier gaming influences (Fallout, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Tomb Raider 2013, Monster Hunter), and polished to a fine sheen.

The Lamp

The game makes a great first impression. The intro eases you in at a decent pace, and some of the very early cutscenes, like
kid Aloy's reaction to the hologram
, are quite excellent.

The voice acting and writing is good so far, not great, and the graphics are pretty damn swell. One graphical issue that has been bothering me with Guerrilla's engine for some time, and which never seems to be brought up, is how it handles quick cuts in cutscenes and similar. Every time the camera repositions/reframes, you can see clothes, hair, shadows etc. jump or readjust for a fraction of a second. Seems GG will never be able to beat this minor thing from its engine.

Yup. It's really annoying. Happens a lot with hair and with clothing. That and water are weakpoints of this engine.

There is good ambient music in Horizon

Ulong

I accidentally cleared the first bandit camp without talking to Nil wherever he was waiting near it, is that going to break any kind of questline triggers with Nil?

Playsage

So
is there any other battery in the wild outside of the two in the ruins and the all-mother cave?I missed the second one and I want to know what's the deal with that armor :(

The Lamp

I had to turn the difficulty up fairly early on. Doing the side quests before the main story missions and having access to the pre-order armour and weapon meant that I was breezing through it.

The game is incredible. I almost can't believe how polished it is. I can't remember the last game that felt this well rounded at launch!

Visually it's stunning. Obviously GG are no slouches but I never expected this level of fidelity. Everything looks great. Textures, foliage, animations, HAIR!!!, facial expressions, weather systems, ..it's all brilliant!

When I got to the
city
where you climb the
first tallneck
, I somehow ended up running right into
3 fire breathing
bellowbacks
... I don't have a Ropecaster yet so that fight was pretty intense...

I'm currently carrying around almost 3000 shards and I don't really know what to spend them on. I have a heavy purple armour already and I have hunting and sharpshooter bows and a catapult thingy. At what point do you get access to the very rare bows? I'm not in
Meridian
yet...
I just cleared some corrupted areas and killed a corruptor outside of a gate I want to pass through.
How far into the story am I?

If you haven't reached
Meridian
you're not even halfway done with the story.

Cauldron Sigma:

This bellowback is kicking my ass. My strategy has been to placing explosive traps to take out the watchers that enter, and putting tripwires and shock traps on the path to nail critical attacks

nOoblet16

I wish the game's beastiary displayed the elemental weakness for each robot and their parts with the name of elemental weakness. A lot of these icons doesn't seem clear when you are trying to fight enemies.

Hey everyone,

Quick question - started the game and LOVE it. Connected with the characters immediately.

But immediately after the first chapter I went to make arrows and at the bottom of the screen it said 'pouch upgrade available' but for the love of God I couldn't find where the upgrade happened, or what it was.

Is there a guide of sorts into how you view upgrades, and let's say you need a specific item - is there a way to mark where it may be on the map or do you have to search for it?

Hey everyone,

Quick question - started the game and LOVE it. Connected with the characters immediately.

But immediately after the first chapter I went to make arrows and at the bottom of the screen it said 'pouch upgrade available' but for the love of God I couldn't find where the upgrade happened, or what it was.

Is there a guide of sorts into how you view upgrades, and let's say you need a specific item - is there a way to mark where it may be on the map or do you have to search for it?

Go into crafting in your menu and click on the pouches tab! The first upgrades are cheap and require common resources. After that you need to get specific things off of the wildlife, whose regions are marked on the map similar to Far Cry.

hydruxo

I accidentally cleared the first bandit camp without talking to Nil wherever he was waiting near it, is that going to break any kind of questline triggers with Nil?

I don't think so. I completed it too but I didn't make the side quest active (which its really dumb that it doesn't track it in the background without making it your active quest) so it didn't register as me talking to Nil.
When I finished clearing the camp, Nil went back to standing where he was earlier in the mission so I think you can just talk to him again and the camp repopulates.
Could be wrong though.

Stanng243

Hey everyone,

I believe you make the upgrade from the crafting menu.

I realistically don't think I can swing buying this right now after spending so much on the Switch, accessories and games but the hype is contagious and I would love to see what all the fuss is about for myself.

Are we looking at the next "Last of Us" here? It really does look that phenomenonal.

CHC

I accidentally skipped the tutorial for it, so I'm a little confused about the mount controls.... so you need to keep tapping X or just hold, or just hit it a certain amount of times and then not touch it at all? Seems like the mount has a weird mind of its own, feels clunky to control, so maybe I missed important info?

bitbydeath

Wanted to play last night but the game was still downloading:-(

Managed to watch the opening scene this morning though before going to work, simply amazing quality, we pixar now.

Impulse/hype purchased this seeing as I am off work for a few days and wouldn't get Zelda until, of course, the first day I'm due back at work.

Really enjoying it so far. Beautiful, mechanically polished, and to my surprise I'm even enjoying the dialogue. I listen to all the optional conversations. Been playing on Very Hard and it feels great. Can't take too many hits so approaching each group of enemies is exciting and thoughtful. Not the biggest fan of crafting systems in games but it is very approachable here. I'm running out of items and needing to collect more so the crafting is purposeful but without so many components that building what you need ever feels out of reach.

I've had a horrible time finishing games recently. I've become far more intolerant of the annoyances that creep up in games even when I enjoy the core gameplay. That said, the moment to moment gameplay is really enjoyable here and I think I might actually finish it.
I realistically don't think I can swing buying this right now after spending so much on the Switch, accessories and games but the hype is contagious and I would love to see what all the fuss is about for myself.

Are we looking at the next "Last of Us" here? It really does look that phenomenonal.
Being an open world game the story doesn't play out in as tightly orchestrated a way as it does in The Last of Us but yeah, its damn good. Visual presentation quality is up there with Naughty Dogs work for sure though thats never been a far off goal for Guerrilla. They just happened to bring a new level of gameplay polish and story presentation this time around.

VanWinkle

You can't beat the strong narrative pacing and perfect voice acting and animation of an incredible linear game. So in that way, it's not AS good. But I can tell you that I PERSONALLY would rather play this game. It's got a strong narrative, good to great voice acting, decent to great facial animations, along with a big beautiful open world and a great cast of characters.

tmac456

Cauldron Sigma:

This bellowback is kicking my ass. My strategy has been to placing explosive traps to take out the watchers that enter, and putting tripwires and shock traps on the path to nail critical attacks

I had trouble too. Took the watchers out first then switched over to my sharpshot bow and pounded his back with that tub full of blaze or whatever it is

I'm avoiding the OT cause I can't keep up with you guys due to my busy work schedule but a couple of hours in this game really picks up and is pretty fucking good!

I accidentally skipped the tutorial for it, so I'm a little confused about the mount controls.... so you need to keep tapping X or just hold, or just hit it a certain amount of times and then not touch it at all? Seems like the mount has a weird mind of its own, feels clunky to control, so maybe I missed important info?

The mount moves a little faster each time you press x, up to its max speed. There's an option to either have the mount follow paths or directly control it. Sounds like you have it set to follow paths.

If you start hunting for the collectibles you will really see how beautiful this game is. I was in the North-west part of the map and it was serene and lush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom