• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered vs Original PS5 Early Graphics Comparison

Outlier

Reminds me of this lol
Va8gRmg.jpeg
I will NEVER play the remastered version of FFX, because of this reason alone.
They turned them into anime characters.

I also don't like the H:ZD character redesigns. Characters don't look believable.
But what do I care. I won't play that game again, either.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'd say apart from the obvious improvements the rest is subjective, there are a few things that are better in the original from a artistic point of view.
This is probably due to lighting.

DryvBy

Most of the trailer looks like difference in color grading and some higher draw distance in some far shots.

Rost looks less detailed in the remaster for some reason. They removed the blemishes from his face and changed his hair color.

qEc5wnu.png
He's using an instagram filter on the right, baiting with a "might delete later" post.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
q8jDYRK.gif

xe9slDD.gif

UYaOxvq.gif

3JhOAfH.png

I love GAF.. Horizon Threads though..

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex
lol so true, they really like to hate on this 30mil+ selling series and Aloy specifically, i found the game to be incredibly well executed, top notch visuals that really went up a gear in the sequel, it also played smooth af, it was a proper AAA game from a top tier studio... yet the same old shit gets pulled out each time and i for one just can't understand the hate

RCX

Colours and lighting are a bit different. "Improved" is subjective based on which shot I'm looking at. Pretty much the least upgraded upgrade I've ever seen.

Wouldn't replay it anyway. Forbidden West made me hate Aloy so much I can never play one of these games again.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
So, it’s less shiny while having baby oil everywhere…

NeoGAF.gif

U n i o n 0015 U n i o n 0015

Well….. yes. The budget required to really push the visuals wouldn’t make sense for a Remaster. It’s like so many here forgot what that term means (or are willfully ignorant). It’s not supposed to be anything but a cleanup of the original source material. That it has the updates that it does shows me that they put additional work into it.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

There are definitely some improvements but you need to really search for them. In my mind it definitely shows how much of a looker the first game was already. Probably going to see limited (at least visually) upgrades in the coming years.

You guys are nuts. they are literally reusing hfw assets and lighting which were a huge step up from the original. some character models will look different. Rost in that screenshot is literally only in there for the intro cutscene. he's much older after that.

every other character looks to have gotten a huge boost. This guy looks insane.

vBBi3Rj.gif

In gameplay, they have brought over the same exact foliage quality, hero lighting, character models and lighting.
Right, it's not even going to be close. HFW looks insane compared to the first game. I can't wait to see Arches National Park, Monument Valley and Bryce Canyon again in the new engine!

Bojji

q8jDYRK.gif

xe9slDD.gif

UYaOxvq.gif

3JhOAfH.png

I love GAF.. Horizon Threads though..

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Biggest differences are from color grading.

The most pointless "remaster" ever created. They should do this on PS6 with Path Tracing and other new tech available and not now (like the last of us PS3->PS5 upgrade).

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
He's not the one who killed it. Believe it or not the game wasn't as critically acclaimed nor did it sell as well.
Killzone 2 was actually received very well. Higher than either of the Horizon games.

That said, the issue was sales. Horizon is a completely different beast. Killzone would have to rethink some things (and I say that as someone who likes its world more than Horizon’s).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Biggest differences are from color grading.

The most pointless "remaster" ever created. They should do this on PS6 with Path Tracing and other new tech available and not now (like the last of us PS3->PS5 upgrade).
The entire lighting model was changed. All the foliage has been changed. All character models have been changed. Their water tech is different and amazing. their mocap work is different and amazing. HZD to HFW is a massive upgrade in terms of tech even if its not using path tracing and other newer tech. That part is true. it shouldve been better but to say the biggest difference is in color grading is disingenious when we have all played HFW and know just how different it looks from HZD.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah Killzone 2 was but shadowfall was its latest.
I know. I’m just saying that it wasn’t until that entry that things really took a turn (and it was a launch game at that, which are rarely as well relieved as later games). Like the two Horizons, Killzone 2 & 3 were well received.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Switch's best selling game

lmao. Exactly. Switch is the king of remakes and remasters. Like 50% of their games were remastered Wii U or Wii games.

Nintendo gets a free pass on this board and its absolutely hilarious.

Metroid Prime remastered
Skyward Sword Remaster
Mario collection remaster
Super mario 3d land remaster
BoTW is literally a port of a Wii U game
Mario Kart remaster
Luig's Mansion 2 remaster
Link's awakening remake
NSMB Wii U remaster
Super Mario RPG remaster

And many more. Sony is bad at this but nintendo is just as bad if not worse.

Bojji

The entire lighting model was changed. All the foliage has been changed. All character models have been changed. Their water tech is different and amazing. their mocap work is different and amazing. HZD to HFW is a massive upgrade in terms of tech even if its not using path tracing and other newer tech. That part is true. it shouldve been better but to say the biggest difference is in color grading is disingenious when we have all played HFW and know just how different it looks from HZD.

Everything is upgraded but jump from HZD to FW is not that big at all. The most striking difference between those shots are differences in color.

This upgrade should be free, it adds not that much more than free patches for RE games, TW3 or Skyrim.

Allandor

More remasters of games that already run well on the platform.... for money
And i'm currently asking myself if I have something with my eyes or if they accidentally mixed up the comparison shots. Most of the time the "original" has smaller details, and why did they change the hair color, ...

Fbh

Once we see more extensive comparisons it's probably going to be a nice upgrade for $10.
Still feels pretty pointless though as the original still looks and runs great on Ps5

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Switch's best selling game has almost double the content as its Wii U predecessor. People are paying for more gameplay rather than the same game with a new coat of paint.
I mean, that’s one example. Nintendo is a remaster factory and gets a pass. I’m not against either company doing it, but there’s no question that one of them receives much more backlash about it, particularly around here.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I will NEVER play the remastered version of FFX, because of this reason alone.
They turned them into anime characters.

I also don't like the H:ZD character redesigns. Characters don't look believable.
But what do I care. I won't play that game again, either.
What a complete butchery that was.

Sethbacca

lmao. Exactly. Switch is the king of remakes and remasters. Like 50% of their games were remastered Wii U or Wii games.

Nintendo gets a free pass on this board and its absolutely hilarious.

Metroid Prime remastered
Skyward Sword Remaster
Mario collection remaster
Super mario 3d land remaster
BoTW is literally a port of a Wii U game
Mario Kart remaster
Luig's Mansion 2 remaster
Link's awakening remake
NSMB Wii U remaster
Super Mario RPG remaster

And many more. Sony is bad at this but nintendo is just as bad if not worse.
I love Nintendo, and you're spitting undeniable facts here but It isn't gonna change the minds of the console warriors.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Did they sell for 10 dollars for previous Wii U version owners???

LOL
No because the Switch wasn't backwards compatible. They could have probably figured out a way to get around this, but 90% of those who bought it on Switch didn't play it on Wii U.

No one's arguing Nintendo don't do this sort of thing as well, but if you're going to criticize them at least get your facts straight.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I mean, that’s one example. Nintendo is a remaster factory and gets a pass. I’m not against either company doing it, but there’s no question that one of them receives much more backlash about it, particularly around here.
I don't believe they get a pass. The prices they charge for remasters are constantly criticized, as they should be.

Top Bottom