• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered vs Original PS5 Early Graphics Comparison

Brigandier

Were you expecting different from a GAF Horizon Thread?

Not sure how some of those comments will age once gameplay gets compared.. 90% of this is Pre-Rendered vs Real-Time.

Senza-titolo.png

Thanks for that, Remaster looks clearly better.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is it me or is the "remaster" looking worse? Like kinda less detailed in the textures/lighting, like when you compare old movies to newer ones.

Edit: Yes, lighting looks even more off, as if I didn't hate the weird contrast between realistic shaders with Horizon studio-like magazine shoot-like lighting, they now removed some contrasts by "improving" global lighting.

Last edited:

Pejo

The only thing I flat out like more in the remaster is the foliage density. Everything else I think looks worse (the characters) or the same, but with different lighting.

GymWolf

Most of the trailer looks like difference in color grading and some higher draw distance in some far shots.

Rost looks less detailed in the remaster for some reason. They removed the blemishes from his face and changed his hair color.

qEc5wnu.png
Why does rost have a cherubin face now?

Dude got 20 years younger in the remaster :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Child aloy still look like the stuff of nightmare, some things never change.

ByWatterson

You guys are nuts. they are literally reusing hfw assets and lighting which were a huge step up from the original. some character models will look different. Rost in that screenshot is literally only in there for the intro cutscene. he's much older after that.

every other character looks to have gotten a huge boost. This guy looks insane.

vBBi3Rj.gif

In gameplay, they have brought over the same exact foliage quality, hero lighting, character models and lighting.

This is one of the more embarrassing threads in recent GAF history. The foliage, lighting, face-rigging, hair, and environments are all clear upgrades.

Three

I'm a little confused. From the looks of it, the graphics are objectively better, but the art style is somehow worse to the point that it makes the old game still viable? How does that even happen?
Yeah, I think the past game had a darker artsyle and they worked with what they had at the time. New models are infinitely better in terms of tech though. You can see subsurface scattering in the remaster whereas in the old one they looked like plastic even though the textures and lighting were done to work well for the cutscene.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I know this is an enthusiast forum and all but who the hell wants to play this game again for some graphical improvements that need side by side shots to understand what’s different.
i did not finish it when it got the ps5 patch i started over but barely got going and then when i was ready to go all in and play 2 as well the remaster rumors started so i was like i will just wait and here we are.

Looks better and it's a $10 option so either you want it or you don't, they didn't spend a ton of time and resources doing this, it didn't get in the way of them developing their next game etc. The fact that the original game holds up as well as it does visually is nice but it was 4K checkerboarded on the PS4 Pro and it was 30fps.

I still don't understand why they're pushing for this IP so hard when there's so many others people have been clamoring for.
Because it's Hulst baby. It's very simple.

Main problem is that the PS4 game, looking almost identical, runs at twice the framerate on PS5. Didn't they hear Cerny saying 75% of people were selecting 60fps?

Last edited:

Skifi28

The visuals in the trailer looked like forbidden west to me and having played it back to back with the original game maxed on PC, the visuals and especially lighting is a generation apart. Same for NPC animations that were static talking heads with dead eyes and they seem to have been recaptured to be in line with FW. Not that I did not expect the negative energy and shit posting every Horizon threads enjoys, but it seems even weirder than usual.

This is one of the more embarrassing threads in recent GAF history. The foliage, lighting, face-rigging, hair, and environments are all clear upgrades.
Yup. Actually laughing at some of the takes in this thread. Holy shit.

I finished this game already on PC so I see no reason to upgrade to this version even if it costs only a tenner but if you're seriously claiming this remaster looks worse. Oh man.

kyussman

Why does it look like there is more detail in the original,lol.....everything just looks smoothed over in the remaster,like those new James Cameron 4K's where he scrubbed out all the grain on the original films.Stupid idea to remaster such a modern game anyway,Sony sure do like wasting time and money this gen.

Top Bottom