• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered vs Original PS5 Early Graphics Comparison

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
And that's a plus, how?

So they can resell you the same games at full price??
You're going out of your way to look for an argument.
Here are the facts:
90% of people who bought MK8DX didn't play MK8.
Everyone who bought MK8DX received a large amount of additional content.
Online subscribers received approximately double the content.

Could Nintendo have done better? Absolutely.
But MK8DX is not the system's best selling title because 40+ 60+ million people (or whatever the current number is) just put down $60 to play the same game they've already played.

Edit: corrected sell through numbers

Last edited:

violence

q8jDYRK.gif

xe9slDD.gif

UYaOxvq.gif

The landscapes kinda have a more girly appearance?

Last edited:
You guys are nuts. they are literally reusing hfw assets and lighting which were a huge step up from the original. some character models will look different. Rost in that screenshot is literally only in there for the intro cutscene. he's much older after that.

every other character looks to have gotten a huge boost. This guy looks insane.

vBBi3Rj.gif

In gameplay, they have brought over the same exact foliage quality, hero lighting, character models and lighting.
Thank you, people on here are trippin balls sheesh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everything is upgraded but jump from HZD to FW is not that big at all. The most striking difference between those shots are differences in color.

This upgrade should be free, it adds not that much more than free patches for RE games, TW3 or Skyrim.
How can you say that when everything has been upgraded from assets to lighting. those other games have the same exact assets, lighting and character models.

Minsc

Gold Member
How can you say that when everything has been upgraded from assets to lighting. those other games have the same exact assets, lighting and character models.

I feel like if you had someone play the original without seeing the remaster, and vice-versa with someone else, both experiences would be pretty much identical. I don't really see the person who played the original going off on how bad it looked or anything like that?

Feels like one of those upgrades where you are making something that's completely fine better, but not changing in a way that would impact anyone who has already played it.

Bojji

They are just porting this game to the newer version of the engine and almost all those assets were already made for Forbidden West.

End result is much better compared to TLoU2 (no updates there) remaster but still not worth any money.

Three

Do you think people buy MK8 because of graphics lmao.
Who said they do? Doesn't mean they didn't have to pay $60 for a near identical game when they went to a new gen to play the same game. Doesn't mean those who wish to play HZD now do so for the graphics either even if this remaster is better on new gen compared to the old.

damidu

sympathies to the optically challenged trying to undermine this lol.
so apparently this looks like a ps4 game but also better than %99 of the stuff out there,
schrodingers's visuals

Fake

Gold Member
Who said they do? Doesn't mean they didn't have to pay $60 for a near identical game when they went to a new gen to play the same game. Doesn't mean those who wish to play HZD now do so for the graphics either even if this remaster is better on new gen compared to the old.

You are really trying too hard to compare a colossal franchise as MK8 against HZD?

Nintendo could ask $90 and nobody would complain. The games quality speaks for himself.

Three

You are really trying too hard to compare a colossal franchise as MK8 against HZD?
In terms of sales? No, whatever gave you that idea. Not sure why you're going on tangents. In terms of excitement or improvements for the gen, yes.
Nintendo could ask $90 and nobody would complain. The games quality speaks for himself.
I rest my case then.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I don't really see the person who played the original going off on how bad it looked or anything like that?
Absolutely not.
However, the biggest issue (my only issue, actually) with the game was related to visuals: it's side-content facial animations being lacklustre at best, this awful at worst:

ha3ODMH.gif

This creates an absolutely massive discrepancy with its sequel, where every single NPC in the game was performance captured. And it's apparently being addressed with this Remaster.

I think you should stop assuming you're interacting with people interested in honest conversations. And you should really know better at this point after so many years on GAF.

The moment you read this work is not worth any money, not even $10, you know it's time to let go.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't believe they get a pass. The prices they charge for remasters are constantly criticized, as they should be.
They most certainly do get a pass, particularly in conjunction with Sony. Plus, I see the argument of “quality” being thrown around, but neither company has any issue there.

Nintendo receives more backlash for its handling of copyright infringement than anything remaster related!

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
They most certainly do get a pass, particularly in conjunction with Sony. Plus, I see the argument of “quality” being thrown around, but neither company has any issue there.

Nintendo receives more backlash for its handling of copyright infringement than anything remaster related!
Their remasters are too expensive.
The most blatant recent example is the upcoming DKCR Wii port.

Last edited:

Outlier

Still can't get over the fact they used the fat cow model of the second game for this.
I really liked Zero Dawn, but man, this whole Hulst-obsession of a series needs to go, just like Hulst himself.

HCDw6Kx.jpeg
That's reveal trailer Aloy, which none of is featured in the actual game, so they didn't use "fat" Aloy.

Last edited:
No doubt theres some improvements that may also change the tone of the game, but bottom line is, if you played the OG already especially on PC/PS5, ud be an idiot to upgrade. If you havent played the game, then sure, get the updated version.

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
I know this is an enthusiast forum and all but who the hell wants to play this game again for some graphical improvements that need side by side shots to understand what’s different.
There originally was a Netflix show that was supposed to start filming soon, but the showrunner got canceled a few months back. Now it's in limbo. It's why Sony remastered The Last of Us before the show aired

ABnormal

I really cannot believe that still people don't understand that compressed videos, being 4k or not, kill HDR, fine detail, and aside poligonal edges, they kill everything that makes an image "next gen". The real direct feed images on HDR screen would show much more difference.
You can even take movie cg, and after some compressing, it could be put aside some good realtime graphics showing not much difference (aside the lighting realism given by ray tracing, which get perceived by the eye as "realistic" even in low quality).

bundylove

Four years in and gurellia gives us a remake of a 8 year old game lol.

Four years in and we have last of us remasters left and right.

Four years in and not a single brand new first party blockbuster from any studio.

It is by far the worst console generation ever.

Why would anyone care for this? Why even make the effort? Why use all those resources for this stupid upgrade?

Nothing makes sense anymore

tommib

Four years in and not a single brand new first party blockbuster from any studio.

Why would anyone care for this? Why even make the effort? Why use all those resources for this stupid upgrade?

*cries in Returnal*

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Hmmm…. Time to pick apart more bullshit…

1. This is a Remaster
2. Spider-Man 2 dropped last year
3. We have TLOU PT 1 Remake and Part II saw a Remaster… two games.
4. Don’t care for it? No problem. Plenty of people do and that’s why it exists.

Chuck Berry Chuck Berry

Yes, Returnal is 1st Party.

Last edited:
Top Bottom