• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered vs Original PS5 Early Graphics Comparison

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Hmmm…. Time to pick apart more bullshit…

1. This is a Remaster
2. Spider-Man 2 dropped last year
3. We have TLOU PT 1 Remake and Part II saw a Remaster… two games.
4. Don’t care for it? No problem. Plenty of people do and that’s why it exists.

Chuck Berry Chuck Berry

Yes, Returnal is 1st Party.

Yeah you're right. Ive always thought Housemarque as third party for whatever reason. Easy dev to forget about.

Felessan

Because people like killing mecha dinos without her.
Sales tells otherwise. You may not like but still it change nothing
Franchise IS popular

Yeah, people definitely enjoy it and I'm happy for them. I guess I'm in the minority where it just doesn't click. :(
You can't be popular with everybody, even COD, FIFA and GTA don't achive that (personally I never played GTA after like GTA2, not really my thing)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know this is an enthusiast forum and all but who the hell wants to play this game again for some graphical improvements that need side by side shots to understand what’s different.

- People that played the first game and liked it. And want to replay it again.
- People that never played any of the Horizon games and are looking to buy a Playstation 5
- PC gamers that would be interested in the Horizon games, but haven't played them yet.

DragonNCM

I'm just replaying Horizon zero dawn & game still holds well. I don't know how they manage to fuck up graphics in this remaster.
Probably is quick money grab.....

bundylove

Hmmm…. Time to pick apart more bullshit…

1. This is a Remaster
2. Spider-Man 2 dropped last year
3. We have TLOU PT 1 Remake and Part II saw a Remaster… two games.
4. Don’t care for it? No problem. Plenty of people do and that’s why it exists.

Chuck Berry Chuck Berry

Yes, Returnal is 1st Party.
Tell me where i am wrong again?

Tlou has been on ps3 then ps4 now ps5

Horizon ps4 now ps5 and again ps5

You need know i am a hardcore ps fan from day one nit some drive by shitposter like so many.

And i have big expectatiins after 4 years.

Starting to come to the conclusion that AAA game development is just a big multi-million dollar scam. Out of curiosity, I walked around my campus and asked a couple folks to tell me which one looked better and basically, nobody could tell the difference between the two.

Millions of dollars were spent on this, paychecks handed out, because someone at GG convinced Sony higher-ups that a remaster was a viable product. Bunch of folks got paid (6 figure salaries), probably for several months, to look at and push code that was already complete/finished. To "touch-up" assets that were already complete/finished.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

M1987

I'm just replaying Horizon zero dawn & game still holds well. I don't know how they manage to fuck up graphics in this remaster.
Probably is quick money grab.....
What? I don't think they needed to do it as the original still holds up,but they upgraded the visuals to the same as Forbidden West which is one of the best looking games ever made

LimanimaPT

This industry is moving the wrong way. Why does this game needs a remaster? Who asked for this? What a waste of time and resources. Please work on new games.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Here's the deal about this remaster, it sure looks better than original just like FW does, but there's a HUGE problem which is that none of the cutscenes or character dialogues / interactions were mo-caped originally + add to that terrible lipsync, so, now the game has better character models and faces (not even all, sadly) BUT it has the same terrible lipsync which is no match to what they did in FW and all cutcenes are all the same, you can even see all this clearly in the trailer. I can't upgrade for whatever they're asking cuz the game is not available in my region, but I just don't see the point in paying for better GFX when everything else and also essential parts of the game are still past gen and much worse than in FW.

This remaster should've been made from the ground up when it comes to cutscenes and character dialogues, cuz otherwise it's pointless imho.

Last edited:

RavageX

There is such a thing as "too clean" IMO. A lot of remasters remind me of filters that people use for photos these days. They look fake, too smooth...all that jazz. The actual person doesn't look like that, but everyone (including themselves) seems to think that the photos are "enhanced".

Maybe I'm just old???

I personally think graphics are focused on TOO much now. A case like this, some areas may look better....but does it really?

GymWolf

Here's the deal about this remaster, it sure looks better than original just like FW does, but there's a HUGE problem which is that none of the cutscenes or character dialogues / interactions were mo-caped originally + add to that terrible lipsync, so, now the game has better character models and faces (not even all, sadly) BUT it has the same terrible lipsync which is no match to what they did in FW and all cutcenes are all the same, you can even see all this clearly in the trailer. I can't upgrade for whatever they're asking cuz the game is not available in my region, but I just don't see the point in paying for better GFX when everything else and also essential parts of the game are still past gen and much worse than in FW.

This remaster should've been made from the ground up when it comes to cutscenes and character dialogues, cuz otherwise it's pointless imho.
They re-recorded 10 hours of cutscenes so it should not be a problem.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They re-recorded 10 hours of cutscenes so it should not be a problem.
I can already see in the trailer that it's not true, at least not everywhere. I'll wait for much better comparison videos after release to make a final conclusion though, but so far it's not how it should be imho.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Brooo 😆 you're really showing me, covering her face up like that oh my god 😆

Dude, come on, jesus fucking christ 😆 you're talking about trolling but come on, you just did this on purpose.

Genuinely funny, I'll give you that.
You expect me to believe you apparently missed 4 full screen pictures of extreme close ups showcasing her face only in the first portion of the post you quoted?

The ones you quoted were body related.. as clearly those feminine Ariel-like arms and waist belong to a cow, or a character with "pounds after pounds" added onto.

Please allow your brain to take part in the conversation.

They need to change her dumb haircut in the third game, it's too much heavy on top, the helmet hiding that make her look much better.
100%.

Nydius

Brooo 😆 you're really showing me, covering her face up like that oh my god 😆

Dude, come on, jesus fucking christ 😆 you're talking about trolling but come on, you just did this on purpose.

Genuinely funny, I'll give you that.

You ignored the entire first half of the post showing the actual side by side facial scanning of Hannah Hoekstra then write this dumbass rant about covering her face in a screenshot as if that’s some sort “gotcha”?

Seriously?

Last edited:

GymWolf

You expect me to believe you apparently missed 4 full screen pictures of extreme close ups showcasing her face only in the first portion of the post you quoted?

The ones you quoted were body related.. as clearly those feminine Ariel-like arms and waist belong to a cow, or a character with "pounds after pounds" added onto.

Please allow your brain to take part in the conversation.

100%.
But they are not gonna do it, it's part of her "iconic" look, for better or worse.

solecon64

4 full screen pictures of extreme close ups showcasing her face only in the first portion of the post you quoted?

Those extreme close ups aren't in-game. They can put 1000 bobble heads on a black background, that still won't change the fact that what they actually used in the game was a fat cow for a model.

You've proven my point with the actual in-game screenshot, that just conveniently had her whole head covered up. I know the brain rot has been strong for years now, at this point there's no salvaging anything, but at least stop.

Shin-Ra

The vast majority of changes are positive but things like skin SSS have made skin folds and wrinkles less defined and more artificial. I don’t know if the solution is to tweak SSS strength scene-by-scene or exaggerate the folds and wrinkles more in the underlying assets.

But however nice they make Horizon’s graphics, the characters, especially Aloy, are hard to like and combat depth (outside the arena where they limit your tools) is made meaningless by the ease of just tearing parts off without exploiting weaknesses.

Nydius

Sales only tell that people like killing mecha dinos. Don't necessarily means they like her LOL.
This is completely accurate. I still think if they worked with Capcom to make a Horizon themed Monster Hunter that took place before the events of Zero Dawn they’d be sitting on a gold mine.

A non-Aloy, non-Focus world where you’re just a member of one of the tribes trying to survive against increasingly hostile machines.

bundylove

The first horizon hasn't had a ps5 version until now, just a patch that unlocks the framerate.
But whats the point other than a quick cash grab?

Point is we keep going back to more and more old games and resell them with a nee skin in a generation that 4 years in barelly produced anything new.

WOuld you have new titles and then add these remakes remasters call it what ever you want, then yes i dont complain.

Fake

Gold Member
You have no proof otherwise.

Neither you.

This is completely accurate. I still think if they worked with Capcom to make a Horizon themed Monster Hunter that took place before the events of Zero Dawn they’d be sitting on a gold mine.

A non-Aloy, non-Focus world where you’re just a member of one of the tribes trying to survive against increasingly hostile machines.

Sony put Aloy in a fucking Genshin Impact, and she is a 5 stars character (5 stars are stronger than 4 stars), become the less popular character in the entire game, less popular than one of most unpopular characters in the game with is Amber.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Tell me where i am wrong again?

Tlou has been on ps3 then ps4 now ps5

Horizon ps4 now ps5 and again ps5

You need know i am a hardcore ps fan from day one nit some drive by shitposter like so many.

And i have big expectatiins after 4 years.
I told you where you were wrong. Choosing to ignore that is on you.

And your expectations are your own. It doesn’t make them universal.

Last edited:

Felessan

Neither you.
No.
I have a proof that a whole package, including Alloy - is popular. And you can't proove that Alloy doesn't bring anything to popularity of franchise (and she is a girl, likable one in the 1st game, and likable girls adds to attraction).
Like "History does not tolerate the subjunctive mood" - there is no Ifs in this story - the package is popular how it is. You may not like Alloy but it doesn't change a fact that package popular with Aloy, and popularity of this package without Alloy is not proven.

Sony put Aloy in a fucking Genshin Impact, and she is a 5 stars character (5 stars are stronger than 4 stars), become the less popular character in the entire game, less popular than one of most unpopular characters in the game with is Amber.
As with many collab characters - Alloy is very weak there. Like unbeliavable weak.

bundylove

They seem to have made great effort and even re-recorded performances while it's being offered as a very cheap upgrade for the price of a meal. I don't know what to tell you.
Well its good for newcomers but not for the ps fans . I platinumed the first one put over 100 hours into it so i would not upgrade to this

Top Bottom