• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those forests... O:

32285276714_7e724c1665_o.png

(PS4 Pro)
We need a close-up of the bark to truly decide the graphics comparison

GOD DAMMIT!

I went in to Sainbury's this morning. Went up to the electronics counter and, casually, asked the lady there if they had a PS4 game called Horizon. She looked clueless, and said "ooh, not sure I'll check". So she unlocked the drawer, lo and behold there it was. "Is this it?" she asked. "Yes, that's it" I said, trying to be casual.

So she scanned it through the till, then some other woman came out from the stock room thing behind the counter, saw it and said "you can't sell that it's not out yet." So she had to cancel the transaction.

SHIT! I was so close. If that other lady had stayed in the stock room for 30 more seconds I would have had it. BUGGER.

i would recommend not doing this. Unlike smaller retailers, every transaction at larger supermarkets are traceable back to the employee, and no game is worth getting early at the expense of landing an employee in deep shit.

A decent amount crisper, but it depends on viewing distance. Sitting about 8 ft from a 55 inch TV it looks really good and the difference wouldn't be too apparent. I'm a bit of a graphics whore and I'm more than satisfied with the IQ. It's also a steady 2160p unlike Infinite Warfare with a dynamic resolution.

I have a 65" model and I'm sitting 1.6m away from it. Thats 5.2 feet according to google.

My OLED wont play them via USB :(

Samsung TVs are very good about this. I never ran into problems when playing stuff from a USB stick, neither with video nor sound formats. It even recognizes 4k HDR material from the stick.

Alo0oy

Banned
Infamous is my favorite "new" franchise, so I am hoping this has a similar feel. Out of 20 or so ps3 games, I only finished red dead redemption and infamous 1 & 2.

Bought my ps4 last November and out of 7 games, I have already finished one...infamous Second Son. Thinking about picking Horizon up on Tuesday, but I have Zelda on Friday. One has to be bumped...

Second Son was such a step down compared to 2. The choices in the second game actually mattered, and you chose between a superhero and a supervillain, not between alternate cutscenes like Second Son.

The powers were actually different and provided different utilities instead of re-skins.

I also liked the twist at the end where your "good" companion defects to the "infamous" path and vice versa.

Toni

Looks good, but not as green as I hoped :/

I wanted colors to be like this

Forests are not going to be that green in a polluted, post-apocalyltic world. In a machine era, with robots and machinery constantly dispersing stuff into the air no less.

Garlador

Game is beyond beautiful it seems.
Naughty Dog getting schooled.

For two years now, I've asked the question "what's the catch?", because there's supposed to be one.

"Look at these visuals!" "What's the catch? Unstable framerate? Frame drops? Texture pop-in?"

"Look at this huge open world!" "What's the catch? Barren and lifeless world? Long load times? Tons of glitches?"

"Look at this gameplay!" "What's the catch? Repetitive quests? Shallow RPG mechanics? A terrible story? Massive day-one patch?"

"Look at all this content!" "What's the catch? Shallow gameplay? Locking best quests behind Day One DLC? An expensive Season Pass? Grinding sidequests?"

... And, here were are, years later, and to my amazement, the answer to my "what's the catch?" question is... almost nothing.

It's just THAT good.
Looks good, but not as green as I hoped :/

I wanted colors to be like this
That's not typically what we see over here:

For two years now, I've asked the question "what's the catch?", because there's supposed to be one.

"Look at these visuals!" "What's the catch? Unstable framerate? Frame drops? Texture pop-in?"

"Look at this huge open world!" "What's the catch? Barren and lifeless world? Long load times? Tons of glitches?"

"Look at this gameplay!" "What's the catch? Repetitive quests? Shallow RPG mechanics? A terrible story? Massive day-one patch?"

"Look at all this content!" "What's the catch? Shallow gameplay? Locking best quests behind Day One DLC? An expensive Season Pass? Grinding sidequests?"

... And, here were are, years later, and to my amazement, the answer to my "what's the catch?" question is... almost nothing.

It's just THAT good.

Yeah, it's pretty remarkable. The bar has been raised. Your move, Sony Santa Monica.

Finished the game last night, absolutely loved it. I was very reserved on the game when I saw it in previews but once I started playing it, I couldn't stop.

One of the prettiest games I've ever played too. The image is so consistently clean and the framerate never dips. If it did it couldn't have been more than 2 frames. The AA solution they use is outstanding too because jagged edges are nowhere from what I played, at least not enough to distract me. Shame about the water though

Tyaren

Lol, once I am in the jungle area I'll get you guys some lush, green pics. ;P

(Also, I took this pic in the evening in a valley. I liked the somber colors with a few evening glow speckles.)

hydruxo

It's just THAT good.

Yeah, it's just incredible what they've accomplished here. This game is remarkably polished.

clujlRo.jpg

PS4 pro.

I think the woods look even better at night. Just the way it catches the light

I just said "holy shit" out loud when I saw this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom