• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some shots I took last night. Regular PS4.

1oPBfuL.jpg

nHt52yX.jpg

x8TF3qV.jpg

My Best Buy copy is confirmed to be here Monday. As an added bonus, I've been sick with a sinus infection and I was planning to take Monday off.

Sweet.

Garlador

And the lighting in this game...*drools* No matter if a vibrant, sunny morning or a rainy night, this game always looks so pretty.

33079985976_1ab4e39fb4_o.png

32739018840_907c97793c_o.png

This is in fact the only open world game where I wouldn't want to immediately switch back to day once it gets dark.

Bottom shot is incredible.

Guerrilla Games are just wizards. At this point, I almost feel like retroactively going back to 70% of my PS4 games library and asking the developers why the games don't look THIS amazing.

LoveCake

I have gone in and ordered this now, based on the reviews and also comments by fellow GAF members, I was unsure at first but it looks and seems to play pretty well.

ZeroEdge

Amazon preorder still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.
Same here, a couple of my friends haven't shipped either all of whom preordered it from Amazon as well. It originally said that it would ship Friday for all of our orders, and none of the 4 orders shipped. They all changed to shipping soon late Friday evening, which means they will ship tomorrow now and won't show up until Wednesday now. Fucking Amazon this will be the fourth time in a row they have fucked me over with shipping a preorder our for release day and missing it.

spannicus

Same here, a couple of my friends haven't shipped either all of whom preordered it from Amazon as well. It originally said that it would ship Friday for all of our orders, and none of the 4 orders shipped. They all changed to shipping soon late Friday evening, which means they will ship tomorrow now and won't show up until Wednesday now. Fucking Amazon this will be the fourth time in a row they have fucked me over with shipping a preorder our for release day and missing it.
Saw that my copy from Amazon hadn't shipped as well cancelled that shit then found a copy locally. Boom

The game doesn't blow me a way visually probably cause it is open world (good for open world etc) also doesn't help that I really dislike the style on characters either though.

but is there any shots around without fog. Those three above don't blow me away exactly. The Order looks better which is to be expected but the texture quality on those rocks isn't that impressive to me. I do wish this game wasn't open world and followed KZ2 a bit more.

Still disappointed that we got shadowfall and this from GG but nothing I can do about that.

I'm more curious about the fogging though, what does the game look like in the distance with no fog at all?

Tigress

It always worrys me but Amazon doesn't ship preorders til the day before. They have done this for the last two pre orders I got (and they always claim they will ship earlier). In fact the tracking has listed the package not even in my city yet by early morning and it still gets to me not even late in the day. I suspect after having some issues with the games getting in too early (and maybe the companys who sell the games to Amazon get upset) they went with shopping it one day to make sure it didn't get in early.

That being said I'm still nervous this time and I could swear by at this point they would know what carrier and it would be in waiting to be picked up status by now and mine is still in preparing with no carrier info.

Still disappointed that we got shadowfall and this from GG but nothing I can do about that.

I'm more curious about the fogging though, what does the game look like in the distance with no fog at all?

And I would be a lot less interested in this game if it wasn't open world. In fact I don't in general pay full price for linear games cause I feel they last way too short to be worth that price, tend not to be replayable cause they rely a lot on story, and despite being short games I still get bored of them by about 75% done, and that is if I like the game. Where as a good open world can last me 100 hours if there is enough content (and if not enough content will have me sad I finished everything).

I will agree shadowfall was mediocre though. And the writing was awful.

J-Skee

Are there any trophies for beating the game on the various difficulties or are there any missables? I went on Exophase to see the trophy list but the majority of them are hidden.

Are there any trophies for beating the game on the various difficulties or are there any missables? I went on Exophase to see the trophy list but the majority of them are hidden.

Not sure about missable trophies but there are no difficulty-based trophies for this game.

witness

Same. Mine was supposed to ship on Friday so I just cancelled it this morning. I'll go to GameStop instead today and preorder, added bonus being the costume and bow do seem exclusive as others are saying it isn't in the game. Might be able to get it Monday night now anyway according to another gaffer that says stores will sell them at 9pm on the east coast.

The game is crazy good looking. Seriously Guerilla is a fucking tech madhouse. Amazing game looks fucking crazy good.

The Photomode thread for this game is gonna be so good!

Staf

About to pre-order it now on PS4 to make sure the game is installed and ready to go when i get home from work on Wednesday. Don't know what which version to go for though. I usually just buy the more expensive one for more stuff. But it's a double
-edged sword since it can disrupt the balance of the game.

Majmun

There seems to be a lot of fog, as Jack The Nipper mentioned.

But the game still looks phenomenal, so it's a good trick.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
Thanks for posting pics of the game from a regular PS4, Hispanicguy! I got so spoiled by what the game looks like on the Pro, I was getting a bit worried about the base PS4 lol. But I may end up picking a Pro down the line because I want this game to melt my eyes.

I think it's hiding draw distance but I don't care about it... Like at all. Gotta do what you gotta do. Game is beautiful.

it doesn't hide nothing. You can see a long ways in this game

its also not fog. They have fog ingame when they need fog and you'll see what I mean when you play it.

120v

yeah i was hoping it would by now. but they're so good with shipping its no sweat on my end (since i live in a big city; YMMV in other locations)

was holding out a sliver of hope for a monday surprise but i knew it was a long shot

Drewfonse

I just can't imagine looking at these screens or playing this game and thinking " looks OK for open world, but too much fog". I mean, holy shit. I know that there aren't many people who are saying that, but still, it's unfathomable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom