• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

Footos22

Is the always on top trophy bugged.

I've tried all the executions a few times now and still nothing.

don't think i've missed anything at all.

thanks to Vita for hooking me with Hotline Miami but after a while can't play it using twin sticks.
going to get the PC version. I need that precision

So I heard the A+ trophy was glitched so you only need to get 13-14 chapters on Vita, does that apply to the ps3 version as well.

Also, I'm not holding my breath for a trophy patch. Those seem to be very hard to fix and rare to receive. Especially it cases where you need to collect or do X of something and you've already done it before it's patched.

I don't know what all the fuss was about.

This game is just meh.

image.php

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't think that points exploit for the drill executions is in this version. Instead use the frog mask to make it easier to link together combos for the high score, that's what I used on pretty much every level to A+ them all. Use melee weapons and executions as much as you can, and try to avoid using guns unless it's totally necessary.

It does and it doesn't. Depending on the A+ point rank range.

If it's 50,000 or even 60,000 it's doable. But in Chapter 9 it's 70,000 which seems impossible.

I used the Zack Mask and only got 55,000 which is worse than my drill abusing slow time aggressive 68,000. FFFFFFFFFFF. I just need this stupid 2,000 points but I dunno where and if I could exploit the 1,000's it'd be much easier to do.

I've been using the drill mask to get lots of A+'s but it's getting too hard in the later chapters. You eventually need to make every kill possible with the drill and trying to take the police station with it is just too much.

Put more time into, such a great game, and I'm having no such trouble with the sticks. I prefer playing without using lock-on - I find the gameplay more enjoyable that way.

It's a very vibrant looking game on the vita. The colours are just amazing and dem black levels!

Astarte

Put more time into, such a great game, and I'm having no such trouble with the sticks. I prefer playing without using lock-on - I find the gameplay more enjoyable that way.

It's a very vibrant looking game on the vita. The colours are just amazing and dem black levels!

Never knew a lock on existed until I A+'d every level...

leroidys

Anyone want to clue me in on the ranking system? Just comboed both floors of Chapter 3 in one go and only managed an A. Was using fists, melee, doors, throws, and guns.

Awesome, thank you. Melee it is. I read some 'tip' about having varied attacks and interpreted this to mean that I would get less points if I only did melee.

Awesome, thank you. Melee it is. I read some 'tip' about having varied attacks and interpreted this to mean that I would get less points if I only did melee.

Each stage that grades you has its own score threshold for an A+ ranking. If you're getting "A's" on a particular stage then I wouldn't change your approach there too much, just perhaps add in a few more ground executions. I got most of my A+'s with Carl and his amazing Drill just because doing a ground execution with it brings in a lot of points. I try to go through the level as quickly as possible for the time bonus as a score cushion, but it's not necessary if you're doing your best to melee + GE'ing as many people as possible.

i havent been able to get the melee and throwing weapon ones either :/

Initially I had the same problem as well. Someone here suggested re-syncing my trophies to the PSN server, then firing up the game again. That did the trick for me. They didn't pop immediately however, I needed to do a number of kills with some of the different weapons before it popped (though I had absolutely used them before). The best place I found to quickly rack up the weapon variety was firing up chapter three ("Decadence") as it's a great place to get all kinds of weapon spawns. The two places that will spawn weapons are in the center space just past the first mobster, and the room directly above where you start the level. Just start it up and take a peek. If what you're looking for isn't there, die and restart. You also shouldn't forget about the Frying Pan in the kitchen in "Full House" or the Pot (both with the boiling water and without it) in "Overdose" or "Neighbors". HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!

Initially I had the same problem as well. Someone here suggested re-syncing my trophies to the PSN server, then firing up the game again. That did the trick for me. They didn't pop immediately however, I needed to do a number of kills with some of the different weapons before it popped (though I had absolutely used them before). The best place I found to quickly rack up the weapon variety was firing up chapter three ("Decadence") as it's a great place to get all kinds of weapon spawns. The two places that will spawn weapons are in the center space just past the first mobster, and the room directly above where you start the level. Just start it up and take a peek. If what you're looking for isn't there, die and restart. You also shouldn't forget about the Frying Pan in the kitchen in "Full House" or the Pot (both with the boiling water and without it) in "Overdose" or "Neighbors". HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!

i've been farming the kills on the parking lot bonus stage + the unique weapons in the certain stages but nothing :(

i've been farming the kills on the parking lot bonus stage + the unique weapons in the certain stages but nothing :(

I guess I'd just say try the syncing method I mentioned if you haven't already. Then try popping it at the stages I mentioned. Whenever I have a game where the trophies are really glitchy (*cough* Bioshock Infinite *cough*) I always make sure I'm playing offline for counter trophies after I've sync'd up.

Sucks that you're still having trouble though. I'm also missing out on the 3 trophies that a lot of people are, but it seems like an update with a patch is incoming soon.

At first, I was really impressed: The style, the ost, the story and the gameplay all seemed like a revelation.

I'm now at chapter 13 and I feel that the gameplay kinda overstays its welcome....the WOW-factor has definitely vanished and the game became a bit shallow for me to play.

I really don't like the randomized elements that might be in there for replay-value. Unlike Dark Souls, the situations are not equally fair and difficult games that are somewhat luck-dependant also include some 'unfair' elements.

Overall, it's a really nice game but for me personally, the hype was overblown. Well worth the price, though.

I spent like 30mins on one level which I still didn't complete.:D You don't find many games like that. Been playing all on Vita, haven't even bothered downloading the ps3 version.

I find this game works really well as a handheld title. Controls just click for me.

At first, I was really impressed: The style, the ost, the story and the gameplay all seemed like a revelation.

I'm now at chapter 13 and I feel that the gameplay kinda overstays its welcome....the WOW-factor has definitely vanished and the game became a bit shallow for me to play.

Huh, there are enough unique elements on regular intervals to keep things interesting. And you are pretty much at the end of the game already? :D

And for most of us i think the gameplay is so satisfying its just fun to play over and over again.

Mafro

I spent like 30mins on one level which I still didn't complete.:D You don't find many games like that. Been playing all on Vita, haven't even bothered downloading the ps3 version.

I find this game works really well as a handheld title. Controls just click for me.
I remember on my first playthrough on PC I was stuck for ages on Tension (chapter 4), must have spent an hour or so on it. After getting A+ on all the levels on the Vita version, it's funny going back to that level and completing it with no fuss every time.

I'm having trouble trying to take them as hostage, I've only managed to do it a few times. So you just press X behind them or is there something else you need to do?.

Just finished it last night.

Great game, can be very satisfying when you pull off something really frantic but cinematic.

For example, right at the start of Hot and Heavy, you kniock the guy out at the door, take his bat and you have this long coridoor with two mobsters at the top. I just charged up there, threw my bat at one's face and punched out the other. After I did that I was just imagining what that would look like in a film.

Also, do you guys have a favourite mask?

I love the Cobra one, (i forget what it's name is) tha allows for lethal throws. So useful when you want silent kills at range, and it can be really funny when you're in a really tense fight, you're running out of ammo and you're just backpedalling spamming L1 just sending a barrage of lead pipes and empty shotguns into people's faces.

I'm having trouble trying to take them as hostage, I've only managed to do it a few times. So you just press X behind them or is there something else you need to do?.

if you mean a human shield, you can only do that with one hand firearms and if the enemy is knocked down on the floor, by pressing X.

Yopis

Finished this the other day. Really awesome game. Didn't know anything going in and coming out had a blast. Only A+ one lvl so got some work to do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The game finally clicked for me in the past week. On Chapter 14 now. I want to try out other masks but lethal doors are too tempting for me every time. Game is an absolute blast.

Cudder

So, to make sure you are on the most recent cloud save for both the Vita/PS3 version, you should essentially sync before you play and after you play every session, right?

So, to make sure you are on the most recent cloud save for both the Vita/PS3 version, you should essentially sync before you play and after you play every session, right?

Yeah, something like that. I mainly play on the Vita, but when i switch over to the PS3 just have to remember to first sync the Vita, then the PS3. Check one highscore on some level last played to make sure :D

Ezi0

I've gotten the A+ rank all stages trophy on the Vita and have now only just realised you can also press Square to lock on lol.

Footos22

I've gotten the A+ rank all stages trophy on the Vita and have now only just realised you can also press Square to lock on lol.

I only just realised you could lock on at all after i got all A+ lol

Bit like velocity ultra. played the shit out of that did absolutely everything then find out you can fling bombs with the right stick
although I preferred O and direction anyway.

Tried the PS3 ver a bit today. I feel the Vita version is the superior version. Touch controls for lock on, drag the screen to look off screen, and it just looks way nicer on the Vita screen that on my TV. Controls even feel more responsive.

Cudder

Tried the PS3 ver a bit today. I feel the Vita version is the superior version. Touch controls for lock on, drag the screen to look off screen, and it just looks way nicer on the Vita screen that on my TV. Controls even feel more responsive.

Touching for lock on is terrible. One could argue that dragging to look off screen is terrible too, if enemies are quickly approaching you. Basically anything that forces your hands off the screen when you might be in action doesn't bode well.

SmokyDave

I keep coming back to this game for more. I meant to collect the secret letters, but I just kept getting carried away storming through chapters and cracking dudes in the head with pipes. So much fun.

I played it on PS3 yesterday. I much prefer it on the Vita, but the 'drag to look offscreen' sucks in comparison to the L2 button on the PS3.

I played it on PS3 yesterday. I much prefer it on the Vita, but the 'drag to look offscreen' sucks in comparison to the L2 button on the PS3.

Yeah, the L2 to look is better, but i do like the tighter controls of the Vita, you dont need to do any headshot sniping or anything so the Vita Sticks are great.

Touchscreen locking is good against single enemies :D

TheSeks

Hmmm... still not getting A+ on Crackdown. But I know now you can
kill the enemies before the cops bust through
, well you can do it as they're doing that but it's hard.

I looked at this and "how the hell"d his knockdown bonuses. He's constantly getting them. WTF, how the fuck does he get them as they're rushing for a weapon and yet I don't?

TheSeks

OMG YES!

Ted Mask. Knockdown EVERYONE and kill the dogs. You may
miss 3-4 enemies
but so long as you use the lead pipe, baseball bat, your fists, maybe a knife and do ground executions and are quick you should be able to get this score without the knockdown exploit.

Edit: Forgot, for the second floor. After the first three: Use a shotgun and DO NOT hit anyone. Just alert them and they should come to you for a beatdown.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Patch isn't up yet? :(

Ezi0

I only just realised you could lock on at all after i got all A+ lol

Bit like velocity ultra. played the shit out of that did absolutely everything then find out you can fling bombs with the right stick
although I preferred O and direction anyway.

:eek:. You're probably a much better player for it though lol.

Patch isn't up yet? :(

Posted on Twitter:
Hotline Miami ‏@HotlineMiami 22h

The patch for Hotline Miami on @PlayStation is being tested internally now and we hope to have it out the end of next week!

Still a little time until I am the first to snag a HLM Platinum (I hope). :p

Top Bottom