• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

Christopher Hayes @chrislhayes
The senator speaking right now represents 585,000 people. There are almost 1.5 million people in the Bronx.
10:41 PM · Jul 27, 2017

He's hogging up all the time so Democrats can't speak against it before midnight

Shauni

Right, that's the thing...

Literally no one wins. Why, oh fucking why, would you vote for this shit bill?

You ever seen the episode of Family Guy episode where Peter goes to Congress to go for a bill for big tobacco that is terrible on all levels, and his big sell is, 'Come on, guys, just come on. Come on.' And they all agree that sure, why not.

Basically that in real life.

theWB27

This was the point about people suddenly being intelligent after they've been fucked over.

My point was that if they were really intelligent, they wouldn't actually have let it come to that point. All this pertaining to those that care, obviously those diehards don't, and they made themselves heard.

No... people are pointing out to you that diehards aren't enough to keep the gop afloat. Some people have a stopping point and healthcare is thee way to test where that is.

Sobriquet

"Lots of co-ops went out of business. I defunded them, but still, they went out of business. Blah blah blah something something Obama."

tuxfool

Banned
This logic makes no sense, because if this is how they felt they would have just passed the ACHA outright and said, fuck it.

That's because the (some of the) people voting for these piece of shit bills know it looks bad, with the help of pressure. But they persist because they still feel the pressure to "do something about it".

No... people are pointing out to you that diehards aren't enough to keep the gop afloat. Some people have a stopping point and healthcare is thee way to test where that is.
Of course. But getting to that stopping point has led to people losing healthcare and seeing their premiums go up.

Xe4

Banned
So some shitheel senator is just running the clock, which is why the democrats can't attempt an "old fashioned" filibuster. Makes sense.
This logic makes no sense, because if this is how they felt they would have just passed the ACHA outright and said, fuck it.

The same people who are voting for this now thought the AHCA was not extreme enough. People like Paul, while huge dickheads, do have (shitty) values they support enough to vote against the previous GOP bills. Most of the GOP just wants a win though, which is why they are passing this shitstain of a bill. They just want to avoid the embarrassment of not getting rid of the ACA (though this doesn't officially kill the ACA, it effectively does) after saying they would for 7 years. That's it.

Hopefully this would go into effect soon enough for that to happen.
The one "bright side" (god I hate that I'm calling it that) to this bill is it goes into effect immediately (15 million loose insurance, 20% hike next year alone), so the republicans will face penalties at the ballot box, whereas their other bills would've gone into effect only after 2018. I still don't want this POS to pass more than any other bill, because the consequences are going to be fucking stark.

More Democrats and left leaning Independents better survive the fallout of losing health insurance if there's to be any hope from this, I suppose. I'll prolly die if I lose my healthcare but I hope more do better off.

pompidu

Afford it? Insurance companies are going to RUN from it. It's group insurance or nothing baby.

There will be shit plans so you can at least get a foot in the door at the hospital. Basically paying for this so you won't be turned away if your sick, you'll be on the hook for most of the bill but at least they won't kick you out.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The senator speaking right now represents 585,000 people. There are almost 1.5 million people in the Bronx.

He's hogging up all the time so Democrats can't speak against it before midnight

Fly-over states were a mistake.

Red

Remember that Republicans coasted to this position on an electorate furious that more people got insured. Consider that before banking on the hope that this vote will remove their senate majority.

There will be shit plans so you can at least get a foot in the door at the hospital. Basically paying for this so you won't be turned away if your sick, you'll be on the hook for most of the bill but at least they won't kick you out.
They're not repealing the minimum coverage rules, so those plans still won't exist

"I advocate business having pension plans."

WHAT YEAR DOES THIS MAN THINK IT IS

Remember that Republicans coasted to this position on an electorate furious that more people got insured. Consider that before banking on the hope that this vote will remove their senate majority.

That's a really skewed way to view the situation.

Snaku

Banned
And this is why the November election results made me physically ill. I knew this shit was coming. Enjoy the mass preventable deaths, Republican voters, I hope you suffer the worst.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Nope. Because they aren't getting rid of the Obamacare minimum coverage standards.

This is worse than before Obamacare because they can't even offer the shitty coverage that excluded preventative care and pre-existing conditions.

HylianTom

Banned

Rural hospitals are going to drop like flies when this thing takes effect.

Shauni

Which is an election year.

How are they this fucking stupid? Or do they just not care? Do they think it won't matter? Did they brainwash themselves, too?

A little of all. The GOP has been notoriously short-sighted since at least Obama came into office.

Because fuck you that's why.

Don't be silly about it, tell him the real reason since there is one.

They rearranged some of the funding to Planned Parenthood and stuff of that nature to make it meet reconciliation standards.

An electorate that appreciates and benefits from the ACA, but manages to simultaneously hate Obamacare.

pompidu

Nope. Because they aren't getting rid of the Obamacare minimum coverage standards.

This is worse than before Obamacare because they can't even offer the shitty coverage that excluded preventative care and pre-existing conditions.

Welp. Lol. Good luck to everyone out there.

KHarvey16

... Wow.

Unbelievably stupid.

2018 ads will write themselves.

The amount of stupid this is is why I still have a tiny sliver of hope it dies. It's shrinking, but it's still there.

Like the politicians themselves, that electorate was yelling about a thing it never thought it would get to address. They're collectively the dog that actually caught the car and pretend time will dissolve.

Top Bottom