• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wow, what a movie. This shit was based on a novel too. I think this is going to be a great episode. Some many moments, so little time. The movie has an accelerated plot. Shit happens so damn fast in the movie. And for some unknown reason, the movie turns into a
horror movie
towards the end. Nothing is wrapped up. Nothing is explained.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
fd8kImQ.jpg

T3WSYjz.jpg

gz6N3Jr.jpg

I'm writing this one in as well.

Sweet jesus at those outfits. Man, the 80's were truly horrible for fashion lol. How did you come across that little gem?

What makes this comment more hilarious is when I took to IMDb, I see the release date as being 1994.

"An evil business executive (played by George Lazenby)..." yikes

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ohh Rena Sofer is in that.

Aged like fine wine.

What makes this comment more hilarious is when I took to IMDb, I see the release date as being 1994.

"An evil business executive (played by George Lazenby)..." yikes

Lol oh man. Looking at their film work:

The Barbarians:

The young orphans Kutchek and Gore have been adopted by a tribe of clowns, mentally challenged dolphins, juggling monkeys, a transvestite magician and other forgettable entertainers.

Double Trouble:

Muscle-bound twins try to smash a jewel smuggling ring.

Twin Sitters:

An evil business executive (played by George Lazenby), is releasing dangerous toxins and the Barbarian Brothers set out to stop his evil work.

Great news everyone. A new edition of 88 Minutes on bluray released this week!

"Did you ever let an unauthorized person into my secure file area?"

I saw an ad for that Harrison Ford/Gary Oldman movie "Paranoia." Looks so bad. I wonder if it's bad enough to warrant a HDTGM when it comes out on Blu-ray.

I have less than an hour left on Gymkata. God the fight scenes are amazing. A lot of miscues and late sound effects. I don't even know wtf is going on.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I saw an ad for that Harrison Ford/Gary Oldman movie "Paranoia." Looks so bad. I wonder if it's bad enough to warrant a HDTGM when it comes out on Blu-ray.

I have less than an hour left on Gymkata. God the fight scenes are amazing. A lot of miscues and late sound effects. I don't even know wtf is going on.

It gets even better/crazier/insane towards the end. You will see lol.

Oh my god. This movie delivered and yes, the whole "village of the crazies" part is something else. I may have unrealistically high expectations for this week because I think it's a live at Largo episode especially.

God this movie felt like it was three hours long but ran a little under 90 minutes.

I took a screen cap of the ending because it put me in tears.

There is a part in Gymkata where he's being chased around by a bunch of insane, like farmers, and they all sound like screaming pigs.

It's extremely bizarre.

Clevinger

One little thing in Gymkata I loved.

They had this long take of them going down a river in a raft and getting out on the side of it. Once they get out the two leads are looking down at their vests trying to get them off while they're walking around and they walk right into each other (I think he might even hit her in the face with his elbow). What makes it even funnier is that it was pretty much at the end of that long scene, so they didn't have to keep it in the movie. Half a second later it cuts to the next scene.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^I know the scene you are talking about, glad I'm not the only one that saw that lol.

What I think I love the most, is the love story. There is literally zero interaction/chemistry between the characters when they decide they love each other. And it happens in the span of 5-8 minutes.

Sweet jesus at those outfits. Man, the 80's were truly horrible for fashion lol. How did you come across that little gem?

I was listening to an old episode of Laser Time and they randomly mentioned it. It sounded hilariously bad so I had to check out the commercial. YouTube has the whole movie up but I haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet.

Can't wait to listen. Every other Tuesday my day at work is a little easier.

Plus, the new CBB episode yesterday is Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer. Everything is coming up Millhouse.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Blows my mind the director of this movie, did "Enter the Dragon." Glad someone pointed the dude getting knocked down by horses (by mistake) during the first 'Game' race. And June's theory of the face mask being a human face is correct lol.

Solid episode, but I thought it would be funnier.

Edit- "My sound is nothing. Which is the sound of the hawk. And why does she give a fuck about Star Wars?"

Lol amazing question.

"HE CARED MORE ABOUT GOMEZ THAN HIS OWN FATHER!!!"

That had me cracking up. Pretty good episode but not too many stand out points, just overall pretty good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I feel like this episode is an example of what happens when you do a movie that is just too ridiculous. Nothing feels grounded in reality so the weird things don't stick out as much.

Good episode, but yeah... not a lot of super funny moments.

I have to get behind June's sincere "It's fun to watch!" about Gymkata, because it really was.

I wish I could have been there to bring up when Zamir decides to set Cabot's rope he's climbing on fire and how a) Cabot is pretty much at the top of the cliff so why bother, and b) Cabot has maybe four or five extra rappels to choose from. Zamir would have just been better off using one of the two or three bow and arrow ninjas he brought with him!

Clevinger

I have to get behind June's sincere "It's fun to watch!" about Gymkata, because it really was.

Yep. Legitimately enjoyed some of the action, and it was cool how he did almost all (or all?) of his stunts. It even got a genuine laugh out of me. That part where the main character is in the alley and he's doing those flips on the bar to kick everyone who runs into the alley. He kicks one, then another, then he does it again but he hits like some old guy on a bike that was just riding by.

What would be your guys re-imagining of the movie?

During the Olympic trials, the captain of the women's gymnast team is kidnapped by agents of the King of Parmistan and brought to the country to forcibly wed the Prince. Our hero Jonathan, the wild card of the men's team and secretly in love with the captain (we'll call her Gabby), vows to rescue his unrequited love.

Jonathan teams up with the disgraced security agent that allowed the kidnapping to happen (played by Carl Weathers), and head to Parmistan to steal her back quietly. Of course this goes wrong, and they all have to fight for their lives using their unique and beautiful form of gymnastic fighting defeat the King's massive army and return back to the Olympic trials before they are disqualified.

**SPOILER ALERT**
Carl Weathers dies

We could really turn things on its head and switch genders of the protagonist and the rescuee.

Who wants to fund this?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sounds like a winner. Get the person who funded the first one lol. Or do a kick starter and have the rewards as:

$15- play the part of a flag ninja.
$25- play the part of the prisoners.
$75- play the part of the crazy villagers.
$100- play the part of the person that is run over by the horse.

Sweet! A Seagal movie. The first one if I'm not mistaken. A real untapped reserve right there.

And here's where its gonna air ...

9/3 6:20 - 8pm Encore
9/4 1:15 - 2:50am Encore
9/9 8:20 - 10:00pm Encore Action
9/12 4:50 - 6:25pm Encore

Unfortunately not available for free streaming anywhere. Best is a $2.99 rental on iTunes or Amazon.

I'm about halfway through Glimmer Man right now and I'm loving it. Loving the whole 90s vibe about it. My comments on it thus far ...

1. Why does nobody seem to know who Jack Cole (Segal's character) is or how he got on the LAPD? And when they search his files, why can't they find much on him? HE'S WORKING FOR THE LAPD! Shouldn't they know who this lunatic is.

2. Cole says violence/fighting is against his religion but he has zero problem with constantly doing it. At one point he knocks out a maitre'd just for being slightly rude to someone on the phone.

3. Loved the scene where the polygraph woman was so amazed that Cole beat the polygraph that she acted like he just walked out of Fort Knox with handfuls of gold. She said she's never seen anything like it before, "it all checked out". Well the only thing she asked that could've possibly been a lie was that he climbed Mt. Everest. Everything else he could've easily been telling the truth. She doesn't know this guy or if what he's saying is a lie or not.

4. Why would Cole not let the cops know that the one woman that was murdered was his ex-wife? I know he's trying to be 'mysterious' and all but he could've provided a lot of information germain to the investigation. Instead he makes himself seem guilty as hell for no reason at all.

DLing the episode now. I watched Glimmer Man last night. It was like watching an action movie mad libs and I had to fill my own adjectives and shit into the mix. Weirdest opening credits ever. ZERO stakes in this movie.

I loved the polygraph scene. :lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I own Glimmer Man on VHS. I guess I should give it a re-watch first. Good pick. If I can find a VCR...

This episode nails the whole nonsense on why, spoiler, Steven Segal is "THE GLIMMER MAN" and nothing he does seemingly lives up to that.

Yeah wasn't the reason that he's called that because he's so stealthy that you just see a glimpse (or glimmer) of him before you know he's there and by that time he's too late? When in the movie he's a beefy baffoon that just walks right into every situation.

Top Bottom