• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you think the Switch successor will cost? (USD)

How much do you think the Switch successor will cost? (USD)

• Total voters

LakeOf9

We have the PS5 Pro announced, along with an exorbitant price. But while Nintendo is not making hardware as high tech as Sony is, they will still be impacted by the same materials, manufacturing, and logistical choke points that caused issues for Sony, meaning we cannot expect the Switch 2 to be as cheap as the original. But at the same time, Nintendo sells its systems to kids and casuals in addition to gamers too. So they can't afford to be too pricey or they price themselves out of the market.

With that said what do you expect the Switch 2 will cost?

For reference, the pricing of the current Switch models.
  • Nintendo Switch Lite: $199
  • Nintendo Switch: $299
  • Nintendo Switch OLED: $349

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I'd say about the same as a Steam Deck OLED. I don't think they'll go higher than that.

It might also has more than one SKU, who knows we could be surprised.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I believe it will be 399 for an LCD version. If there's an oled that one could go for 449 or even 499.
(Edited: However I don't think they will launch the oled version along the lcd, that's why I vote 399).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's Nintendo, so I don't expect more than $399 for a basic / standard model.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
300 for brand new clean slate.
Or 550 if you want the version with physical back compatibility.
500 for the digital only with digital back compat.

kevboard

fortune teller gipsy GIF

my prediction is a 250GB version for 350€
and a high tier 500GB version for 400€
two years after launch 500GB OLED for 450€
same timeframe, 250GB Lite handheld only for 300€, at which point the original 250GB model will stop being manufactured and effectively replaced by the Lite

the 350€ version to get the casual market, and they know that a ton of people will go for the 400€ version anyway, but having the cheaper 350€ version there will give them better optics.
the 350€ version will probably be manufactured at a lower quantity as well

Last edited:

boo

Gold Member
Out of those choices, with Nintendo not wanting to take a loss plus inflation, 449 for Switch 2.

Switch will cover the lower price points.

Last edited:

Bashtee

It will be 899$ and if you want to play that milking game, 999$ with special controllers shaped like a cow udder.

Nintendo wants to filter out all those plebs who can’t even effort the best of the best!

On a more serious note: I expect 399$ and upto 499$. Below or above would be a huge surprise. The biggest competitors for Nintendo are Steam Deck and the like who are able to play Steam games. Reference shop and infrastructure from the PC pulled to the handheld/console market is nearly impossible to beat. Nintendo exclusives are the only selling point and if those run better in emulators, it gets worse.

salva

I'd rather pay $699 for a Switch 2 over a PS5 pro if it was backwards compatible and reso/FPS boosted my previous Switch games. But no way that'll happen.

blacktout

$399 is the floor; $499 is the ceiling. I think that the console was internally delayed not so much because software wasn't ready but because Nintendo is trying to balance the strong yen with the extreme inflation in most of the west and figure out a way to hit a price point that won't scare the shit out of consumers without eating a per unit loss. It's going to be tricky, honestly, but I think they might pull off $399.

Quantum253

Gold Member
You'll get a "for the fans" message, some great games, a 599 price, and a please understand message.

Nintendo will probably be reasonable, right?!

Robb

Gold Member
OLED is $349 and all they upgraded was the screen. No way a whole new system from them will land at just $50 more in today’s climate.

I’ll guess $499.

cireza

Gold Member
It will be 399$ (64 GB), maybe 449$ for a deluxe version (128 GB + accessories). People are probably overestimating how powerful it will be.

Last edited:

Same ol G

For the people saying €500
Nintendo is not gonna release a hybrid that's only 50 cheaper than a PS5.
Comparison with the Pro are stupid the pricing should be compared to the base model and 50 bucks is not that great.

Last edited:

Labadal

My uneducated guess: They are going to release it for at least €450. If the reaction is poor, they lower it €50.

(€500 is my guess.)

ElFenomeno

Don't really care. It will be my first Nintendo console and if its BC with Switch , its a day one.
Lets go with 400-600E.

Mownoc

I think it will be low spec enough that they can offer it at $399 and still at the very least break-even if not profit.

FeralEcho

I said 499$ but I can see it at 399$ too,it depends on how far they want to go. After Sony's greediness I'm not lowballing these things anymore.

But still 499$ is still a great price for esentially the first console of a new generation,new games galore.

I just hope it's BC with Switch otherwise it will be a tough sell for me.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
not American so don't know how dollars work.

I will be surprised if it's any more than £400.

you can figure out what that is in USD.

foamdino

I would think it will be $499

The reason people are shocked by the PS5 pro price is because they're not paying attention to the cost of silicon. All chips have increased and the BOM for a handheld system with decent amount of ram, OLED screen etc etc - it's not going to be $399.

I suspect the reason Nintendo pushed back the launch (widely rumoured to be this year) was because the price of components would have meant a very high price. Also they won't take a loss on the unit - those days are gone. Next gen everyone will try to at least break even on the console.

PS5 Pro is not priced that high (just) because Sony want to gouge their customers, it's priced that high because the input costs (+ shipping + manufacturing + marketing etc) have all massively increased in the last 5 years. Nintendo are not immune to the cost of components, energy etc

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am sure the 7 other assholes like me who voted 700 or more are just flipping off Sony. I am guessing 400 for real. Though 350 would be better for sales with 400 for a special edition with a game code.

Holammer

The thing needs to be capable of outputting decent looking 4k, so performance similar to a ROG Ally is required. With a NVME & 16GB RAM
DLSS will fix a little, but it's not a free feature, Nvidia will make Nintendo pay for every feature on the CPU.

I think 499 is the bare minimum if they want to compete with a custom SoC. But it's Nintendo, so they might slap a Tegra X2 innit and call it a day.

Top Bottom