• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Should Tifa Be Handled In Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Personally I prefer small chests, but I never liked Tifa to begin with, more of a Yuffie guy.
If they were changing anything about her, I would want her outfit changed. Tifa's outfit just looks... dumb.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bigger than the flower girl.

Barret's toned down in the trailer, Tifa will be the same.

Nephtis

zEB0B4P.jpg

Damn. Yeah, I really love that drawing -- that's exactly how Tifa should be. Slightly muscular build. I mean, look at the stuff she does. She can't have the same body build (boobs notwithstanding) as say, Aeris or Scarlet. This woman was made to be a fighter.

They could still make the boobs a bit bigger though, and it wouldn't make it look unnatural. But yeah, she looks fantastic.

buzzth

Who cares if she has big ones? This is Japan we are talking about, they will definitely go for the original vision of the bust size! This feminism thing has gotten so far out of hand, its everywhere. I read reviews on Mad Max, most of the critics praising the movie's gender positive portrayal of a female, the other side of critics crying about feminism dominating male territories. The only critics I appreciated were the ones who actually focused on the actual movie!

The point is, this fear of keeping everything politically correct needs to be relaxed. If the Japanese want to make a busty, yet heroic female character, who cares?

Village

Barret in AC looked nothing like FF VII PSX Barret. I didn't like the new Cloud outfit either but it was mostly just a more Nomura-esque costume change that was still somewhat fitting at least. But Barret... Barret was my favorite character in VII and in AC he looked and stylistically captured noting about what made him awesome in VII.

He looked like dumb mr t

he looks less like dumb generic we couldn' think of a black guy so we made MR T

and more of an interesting original black character design

I don't care to go find it. I know I was tired of reading all of the "Gits," and taking out consonants when Barret spoke. ("Si'down and shu'up!") And, again, nobody else in the game talks like Barrett. The only thing missing in my mind is a few sarcastic "massa"s. It's terribly racist.
Yeah.

I'm pretty sure not pronouncing Ts is, like, the definition of rural talk. Or slang.

I can't stop you from being offended, but its far from roots talk. And Cid talks like that, btw.

Skilletor

Yeah.

I'm pretty sure not pronouncing Ts is, like, the definition of rural talk. Or slang.

I can't stop you from being offended, but its far from roots talk. And Cid talks like that, btw.

Nah, he doesn't.

He even says the same thing for us to compare:

"Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!"

I'm sure it'll be handled better and not so stereotypically offensive in the remake. There are lots of ways to write slang and rural talk without relying on minstrel tropes.

Puaru1

She needs to have belts on random places of her body like her thighs and biceps.

Her bust size should still be, generous, but what I actually want is to see muscle definition. She's a fighter, so she needs to be cut. I want to see some toned arms and legs, and if the midriff is exposed, then I want to see rock solid abs like Cammy in SF5.

He looked like dumb mr t

he looks less like dumb generic we couldn' think of a black guy so we made MR T

and more of an interesting original black character design
They basically turned him into Sisqo, tho. FFVII Barret would spit on AC Barret's bubble vest, and undo his corn-rows.

I mean, its adorable picturing Marlene, on a stool, doing Daddy's hair. But no, hell no. Corn-rows are the super generic black male. And dreads.

I prefer a nice 1.5 caeser fade.

Finaika

She needs to have belts on random places of her body like her thighs and biceps.

Her bust size should still be, generous, but what I actually want is to see muscle definition. She's a fighter, so she needs to be cut. I want to see some toned arms and legs, and if the midriff is exposed, then I want to see rock solid abs like Cammy in SF5.

She needs to wear belts around her breasts.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Why is this even a discussion? Her modern in game models look fine in the PSP dissidia game. Tifa's design is supposed to be buxom, and it seems that as SquareEnix has gotten a better command of 3D over time that her modern designs fit her original intent. What we will see is basically the Dissidia design in high polygons with gorgeous textures, probably with lots of obnioxious DLC outfits that isn't the default FF7 White Tank Top.

What I am more concerned about is her personality and how they will bridge the Tifa we remember from FF7, Crisis Core and Advent Children, since they depict her very differently in each iteration.

Astery

Jesus Christ this thread.

AC Tifa or better, and I trust Nomura would not screw it up. Haters gonna hate anyway.

Dugna

Again if everybody wants Tifa to have muscle definition then I want Cloud to look like Guts physically, because "realistically" there's no way Cloud is a twig after swinging around that sword every moment of the day.

ugly

I think its totally ok

If you have a racist character, sexist , homophobic , or whatever character of a character, and you undo that for a modern day... that's totally fine. I'm not saying ff7 is any of those things, although some people would argue with barret.

I'm just pointing out a huge flaw in your logic

My point is that what makes a strong female cannot be so easily identified. I think it's foolish to change a character to conform to societies idea of what a strong female is. We haven't figured out how to represent what it means to be a strong female - and so for every company/franchise to drop everything and rush for the lastest trends in popular opinion is wrong.

My logic is not flawed in the way you are suggesting because there is a clear difference between chasing the strong woman and being outright sexist. Perhaps I did not adequately convey that differnce in my original post - but that is wht I'm referring to. Tifa's character design is not inherently sexist. Suggesting that Tifa's design contains innate sexism is a larger crime. She is sexualised because humans sexualise her. That process occurs within the viewer's mind, not within Tifa's fictional existence.

In 50 years time, Tifa should stand for big breastedness. There will be plenty of other takes on the ideal woman in that time. The original character vision should not be compromised on society's whim. Tifa's titties are an important stepping stone in humanities path for acceptance of all woman types.

#TeamTifa'sTits

Speaking of muscle definition, is it a faux pas to the Japanese to give women any of it? Maybe I'm blanking on some obvious examples, but outside of fighting games I can't really think of many female characters in Japanese games with visible definition.

Sami+

Go look up people like Hitomi Tanaka. Tifa doesn't (didn't) have an unrealistic body. Something being rare does not mean unrealistic.

um

idk if this has been covered (I skipped around the thread) but I'm PRETTY SURE Hitomi's boobs aren't 100% natural just saying

and like I would kind of prefer Tifa not look like she got boob implants

Nah, he doesn't.

He even says the same thing for us to compare:

"Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!"

I'm sure it'll be handled better and not so stereotypically offensive in the remake. There are lots of ways to write slang and rural talk without relying on minstrel tropes.
Thats the exact moment I landed on briefly, but I seem to remember, when evacuating the airship and during the rocket mission he uses some slang in a similar manner. If not, I'll PM my apologize or just repost if this isn't closed by then.

Either way, I wasn't offended; I tend to speak without my T on random occassions. Its slang, Barret went from the country to the slums, I felt it gave him authenticity.

You got me on minstrel tropes, Ill have to look that up later, but I feel Barret isn't a negative stereotype. We're allowed to disagree.

Finaika

um

idk if this has been covered (I skipped around the thread) but I'm PRETTY SURE Hitomi's boobs aren't 100% natural just saying

Why would Tifa get boob implants?

Puaru1

um

Stop body shaming women who chose to get implants.

Speaking of muscle definition, is it a faux pas to the Japanese to give women any of it? Maybe I'm blanking on some obvious examples, but outside of fighting games I can't really think of many female characters in Japanese games with visible definition.

latest

Skilletor

Thats the exact moment I landed on briefly, but I seem to remember, when evacuating the airship and during the rocket mission he uses some slang in a similar manner. If not, I'll PM my apologize or just repost if this isn't closed by then.

Either way, I wasn't offended; I tend to speak without my T on random occassions. Its slang, Barret went from the country to the slums, I felt it gave him authenticity.

You got me on minstrel tropes, Ill have to look that up later, but I feel Barret isn't a negative stereotype. We're allowed to disagree.

Indeed we are.

No anger here. Civil discourse ftw. :)

Savitar

I'm sure she'll be in line with her AC look, seems that's what Square has been going with on the FF 7 stuff so what they look there is likely what you will get.

That said I got no problem with her having large breast, some women do have them. Shaming people over such things is just silly.

um

uh no her claim to fame is the fact that they're real

Sami+

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Don't care about chest size but give her alternate outfit from AC please. Much nicer looking.

Relativ9

God I love some of the posts in this thread, it's like a gift basket for people who argue that JRPG fans are just a bunch of weirdo pervs. Sincerely - a FFVII fan.

Vlaphor

Holy crap...

What happened to Barret's right arm in that picture? It got all tiny.

and I still stand behind my previous post about Tifa, though this would be an improvement over the standard AC version.

Terrell

While I can understand the concern over this, I think FFVII has much more glaring issues. I mean, Tifa's breasts were absolutely cartoonish in the original FMVs, for sure, but I feel confident that it will be taken care of so that it's not overtly ridiculous.

But with things like the Wall Market scene, which Nomura has already intimated will be returning, filled with female objectification, cross-dressing and immensely unnecessary homosexual stereotypes played for cheap laughs, that in and of itself seems far more concerning. Moreso that fans were actively excited for it to return, which intensely pissed me off.

There's a fair amount that needs to be addressed, but I fear it's not going to be. Given how she's been modelled in games and movies after the fact, Tifa is not something that concerns me at this moment. Knowingly returning to scenes laden with stereotypes is.

But I think it's important to ask if it can be improved upon under Nomura's direction. None of the games or the movie he's directed are winning any writing awards any time soon.

Neither was FF7, so it's not really anything to worry about.

Women are more than their chests

Apparently for some people, they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom