• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Should Tifa Be Handled In Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

All they have to do is stick to one simple standard, make her boobs bigger than all the other girls. She just needs to have big boobs in relative terms and no one will complain. She won't have massive bazookas and she'll still be noticeably bigger to all the people who care.

She's not even the bustiest character in her own game:

Scarlet-ffvii-field.png

squadr0n

When asked about the character designs at E3, Nomura said their looks would be closest too Advent Children. I can't believe were even having a topic about tit size but knowing Japan, this isn't a concern. If it's not Tifa then someone else will be hyper sexualized. Tifa has always come off as a little sister for Cloud than a love intrest so I doubt they will overly sex her up more than she should.

Honestly I think the latest G-bike arts are all great. They should stick with it.

jq1Jx6P.jpg

The original designs are iconic, so I doubt they would actually redesign characters or give them new costumes, even the AC ones.
Are there more of these with the other FF7 characters?

Why?

FFVII's not perfect and, even if it were, that 1997 version isn't going anywhere. Change some shit, maybe make it better.

But I think it's important to ask if it can be improved upon under Nomura's direction. None of the games or the movie he's directed are winning any writing awards any time soon.

Why are you prejudice against big tits? Somehow big tits (within the context of gaming) have become associated with wrongness. It's the only medium where I see these complaints.

I find it hilarious that people think women in games should only look a certain way as if every female has to be homogenized to look a certain way. We're getting to the point where females in games are starting to get their own "bald space marine" look. If she didn't have huge tits in the original game I'd like her to not have huge tit's in the new game. But seeing as how her tits were huge then I'd like to see her tits huge again. It wasn't a "CG problem." Aerith's tits weren't as huge in the game so that shows it was a design choice not a "CG problem."

Btw, in the grand scheme of things... Do I really care? No. But, just for the sake of argument.
More or less, this.

Its coming to a point where publishers are afraid to show their games with female leads. Its too much. Can we go back to designs of all spectrums and proportions? I would love to have a heavyset female MC one day, but it will never happen because everyone is afraid of offending someone. Its a damn shame.

Most times, I just get slightly annoyed, but now people are going too fucking far.

Give the Mona Lisa bangs cause her fucking forehead is too big. Jesus.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really don't give a single shit about how she looks. There are women with large breasts and women with small breasts, so either is "realistic" in the sense that they depict a person. In a world where people swing 20 foot swords or a cat riding a puppet punches out a dragon, that's good enough. I just hope they don't make it like a teen romance (even though that is in some of the flashbacks) and keep her as an ass-kicking mother type. That is her character and important to all the relational dynamics between everyone.

My main concern is the fact the chibi style and overhead whole-scene camera allowed some things to be done and not taken too seriously. I mean some of the scenarios in the game are really fucked up if you think about them, but you don't have to because it's so unrealistic. A fully realized and realistic world wouldn't convey the same thing with Cloud dressing up as a girl to infiltrate a human trafficking bordello to save his friends who are about to get raped by a slumlord, or genetic experimentation on and slaughter of innocents with a funny/goofy president at the top managing it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When asked about the character designs at E3, Nomura said their looks would be closest too Advent Children. I can't believe were even having a topic about tit size but knowing Japan, this isn't a concern. If it's not Tifa then someone else will be hyper sexualized. Tifa has always come off as a little sister for Cloud than a love intrest so I doubt they will overly sex her up more than she should.

I was agreeing with you until that.

Er did we play the same game franchise?

I find it a problem how love interest = sexualization.

I find it even more annoying how the only things people bring up toward Tifa are sexualization and love interest status.

She's her own character, and i don't think such a thread is even neccesary when we know Nomura and folks know how to design characters. His designs of Tifa back then were basically the same proportions as they are in his illustrations now, so its not a big deal

I really don't give a single shit about how she looks. There are women with large breasts and women with small breasts, so either is "realistic" in the sense that they depict a person. In a world where people swing 20 foot swords and have cannon arms, that's good enough. I just hope they don't make it like a teen romance (even though that is in some of the flashbacks) and keep her as an ass-kicking mother type. That is her character and important to all the relational dynamics between everyone.

My main concern is the fact the chibi style and overhead whole-scene camera allowed some things to be done and not taken too seriously. I mean some of the scenarios in the game are really fucked up if you think about them, but you don't have to because it's so unrealistic. A fully realized and realistic world wouldn't convey the same thing with Cloud dressing up as a girl to infiltrate a human trafficking bordello to save his friends who are about to get raped by a slumlord, or genetic experimentation on and slaughter of innocents with a funny/goofy president at the top managing it.
President Shinra was never goofy. You're thinking of Palmer. President Shinra and his son, Rufus, are ruthless, valuing commodities over the people they were supposed to look out for,, but neither is ever depicted as anything close to goofy. Only Palmer would fit that of all the executives.

The formor is true-er, but I feel it does Tifa a disservice to say she was about to be raped. She just needed to be sure she was picked for the night to get Corneo alone. When Cloud is chosen, Tifa and Aeris come to HIS rescue, showing the females more than capabke to handle a few goons without much worry.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
President Shinra was never goofy. You're thinking of Palmer.
Ah right, but still a goofy depiction of evil leadership guy. The game is all over the place in tone, and the split styles helps that. I wonder what they're going to do with it all.

The formor is true-er, but I feel it does Tifa a disservice to say she was about to be raped. She just needed to be sure she was picked for the night to get him alone. When Cloud is chosen, Tifa and Aeris come to HIS rescue, showing the females more than capabke to handle a few goons without much worry.
Any one of them on their own needed the others to be able to get out safely, otherwise they'd just be like "Eh, they'll be back later tonight just fine" instead of carrying out a rescue operation.

Espada

I think they'll simply go with her original look with more realistic proportions. The AC outfits (among others) will probably be offered as DLC.

Fbh

I like the last one in the OP. It's basically a modern looking version of the original design.

Now show me some official render of the new game where she has the happy/confident look of her original art and not modern Nomura's "Everything is so fucking serious look ™", and I'm happy:

Two Words

It's kind of funny, when I see people talking about how you modernize FFVII, it's usually about the brothel scene or Tifa's boobs.

It's never, hey, isn't Barrett kind of a racist depiction based entirely on a fictional 80s action character, how do they fix that

Let's make sure they don't make Tifa's chest size smaller, though
Plenty of people have brought up Barret. What are you talking about?

Her "size" will probably be compared with both that CG art(released around the FFVII Compilation) and her AC depiction, but she'll no doubt will be dressed in her classic outfit. I actually don't see ANY of the characters designs changing much from their FFVII Compilation redesigns. Everything you see of FFVII era from the flashback at the beginning of Advent Children, the CG art and the G-Bike art, that's how they are going to look. There's no point to redesign the character drastically. This game old and the character designs are iconic.

Ah right, but still a goofy depiction of evil leadership guy. The game is all over the place in tone, and the split styles helps that. I wonder what they're going to do with it all.

Any one of them on their own needed the others to be able to get out safely, otherwise they'd just be like "Eh, they'll be back later tonight just fine" instead of carrying out a rescue operation.
Yeah, but not really. Cloud came to a conclusion when he saw Tifa and automatically assumed she was in distress. To the contrary, she chose to get into that situation, wanted to be as stealth as possible, but ran into a dilemma: The Don has multiple choice. It was never a matter of her being stuck, more her wanting to be as efficient as possible.

Tifa isn't given enough credit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I went looking for what would be realistically similar to the design we'll see in VII-R, keeping the G-bike designs in mind, and I think it will probably look something like this:

Revealing outfit with less exaggerated proportions, with a good mix between "sexy" and "cool".

ethomaz

Banned
I went looking for what would be realistically similar to the design we'll see in VII-R, keeping the G-bike designs in mind, and I think it will probably look something like this:

Revealing outfit with less exaggerated proportions, with a good mix between "sexy" and "cool".
Please not like this.

Tifa is my main character in the game... she needs to hold her style and boobs.

Sami+

The Advent Children design is my favorite but they should just use that AC render of the original design as a reference. Her boobs in the G-Bike art are still comically large

edit oh and shorts please

this is perfect

LiK

wow, stunning cosplayer

I don't want to live in a world where big breasts are "problematic."

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT THIS CHARACTER WITH LARGE BOSOMS?

Let's worry about the caricature that is Barret before we worry about how much body shaming is appropriate for Tifa.

If you have to worry about any of this at all. What a time we live in.

Windforce

No, this looks too bland.

I rather have the big breasts, etc.

Advent children for everyone

So i can have good barret

Let's worry about the caricature that is Barret before we worry about how much body shaming is appropriate for Tifa.

Leave him be. Hes pissed for a reason and he grew up in a poor, rural area, explaining his linguistic skills. He has reasons for being how his is.

Cid curses almost as much (but he has less screen time), and is verbally abusive to his "wife" because she ruined his dream.

How about that?

Village

Leave him be. Hes pissed for a reason, he grew up in a rural area. He has reasons for being how his is.

Cid curses almost as much (but he has less screen time), and is verbally abusive to his "wife" because she ruined his dream.

How about that?

hmm

oh i don't care that he's pissed, he's a generic ass " i couldn't think of an interesting design so make the black guy so i made him mr T design". Yeah i kinda do care about his dialogue but still , i'm more concerned with design.

Windforce

This. Mortal Kombat X was ruined for me with flat chested women. Good thing Chun-Li got big ones in SFV.

Leave Tifa alone.

I really like that last CG render.

Personally I don't care very much. Not every woman has to have small breasts. Large, medium, small, etc. Doesn't matter as long as they represent the character well.

Yall realize that even if she looks realistic she can still have huge baps right? I mean she's an anime character realistically drawn or not, they can do anything to her or any of the other characters.

Likewise they were still huge in AC, probably not as big in the CG of FFVII but not exactly what I'd call small or even all that realistic considering her stature and what not.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Wow this is super awkward. I was about to make a thread about how the FFVII remake needed to make her boobs bigger. With this new generation of fidelity, we can make those things the size of small moons!

But seriously, I'm curious how the new designs are gonna be. With it's past few games FF has had better visually designed characters(bar all the crazy lightning costumes) Will they go for the old's original anime aesthetic? If so I think the boobs would be equally ridiculous as was and still is the style. Or will they go with the more realistic look they've been going for the last few modern FFVII showings? Ridiculous proportions tend to not work nearly as well like that because it makes characters come off cartoonish. Sometimes this works if the character is cartoonish in personality, but Tifa's not really like that. Interesting things to see in the future.

hmm

oh i don't care that he's pissed, he's a generic ass " i couldn't think of an interesting design so make the black guy so i made him mr T design. Yeah i kinda do care about his dialogue but still , i'm more concerned with design.
Oh, that. That was a style in the 90's. Eraser hair-cut (Kid n Play), chopped off sleeves (everywhere else) cargos and Timbs (seminal).

Same as Tifa. He was perfect as soon as he hit the screen.

Leave him be. Hes pissed for a reason and he grew up in a poor, rural area, explaining his linguistic skills. He has reasons for being how his is.

How about that?

I mean...this topic is pretty obviously all about visual design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom