• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Should Tifa Be Handled In Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
Emmm, I really doubt that they are going to change the characters designs, most likely they are going to give them their iconic designs as they did in the flashback of Advent Children.

6tNuLWi.jpg

fWoLXSm.jpg

pC0Pddj.png

I'm more intrigued about how they would handle a lot of other things like Genesis, the depiction of Barret, the past of Vincent, the brotherl scene, etc...

ZangBa

Emmm, I really don't think they are going to change the characters design, most likely they are going to give them their iconic designs as they did in the flashback of Advent Children.

6tNuLWi.jpg

fWoLXSm.jpg

pC0Pddj.png

I'm more intrigued about how they would handle a lot of pther things like Genesis, the depiction of Barret, the past of Vincent, the brotherl scene, etc...

If God exists, we can hope Genesis isn't handled at all, sealed away in whatever cursed crypt he crawled out of.

I'd imagine Vincent and Yuffie will be expanded on. There is no way they will be optional still.

SOLDIER

I don't even know how people can post something like "Breast Shaming" with absolute sincerity.

Especially as few can come up with a reasonable balance between "busty" and "comically large".

Your campy is my stupid. It's ridiculous that one of the best martial artists in the world gets involved in a slap fight. You know what would have been funny? Scarlet slapping Tifa and the Tifa knocking her out with a dolphin blow.

Nobody else in Corel talked like a poor reject from a shitty slave narrative.

*Dyne spoke like that.
some of the prisoners in corel prison spoke like that.
Cyd was a bigger potty mouth than Barret.
a lot of NPCs in FFVII had dialects.
it dioesn't make Barret a simple character or a racist caricature.

Reversed

Thought about it when I saw the SFV gif with Chun-Li's bouncy breasts, which looked very ridiculous.

Gotta agree with the AC look.

Karkador

Banned
FF7 is a world where characters have an exaggerated large thing about them that define them; swords, shurikens, guns, personalities, etc. You know, the cool weapons that define their attack style, or the personalities that are part of their characterization. Tifa's was her boobs. Think about that.

That said, the size of Tifa's bust is not really what's being criticized here, and this "body shaming" angle is ridiculous.

The issue is that the original design (especially the useless suspenders) was made with the priority of making her all about her boobs, like someone ignored the director's instructions to make her look like a brawler, pretty much designing the complete opposite, and then throwing some gloves on in, at the last minute.

You know, even in the 90s, there were other brawler women in videogames (I'm mainly thinking the King of Fighters series) were designed to actually look the part.

Skilletor

*Dyne spoke like that.
some of the prisoners in corel prison spoke like that.
Cyd was a bigger potty mouth than Barret.
a lot of NPCs in FFVII had dialects.
it dioesn't make Barret a simple character or a racist caricature.

Never once said anything about Barret's potty mouth. I didn't call him a simple character. Far from it.

Dyne didn't speak like that. I'll have more examples when I get to this point in the game, but here are some quotes I can find:

Dyne: I hear her voice.. Eleanor's voice... begging me... not to hate your rotten guts.
Now that's a voice I haven't heard in years...
A voice I'll never forget...
...Why!? The hell do you care for!?
Are the people killed going to understand 'why'? Are the people of Corel going to understand just hearing Shinra's excuses?
I don't CARE what the reason is!
All they give us are artillery and stupid excuses... What's left is a world of despair and emptiness...

Barrett doesn't talk like that.

While I can understand the concern over this, I think FFVII has much more glaring issues. I mean, Tifa's breasts were absolutely cartoonish in the original FMVs, for sure, but I feel confident that it will be taken care of so that it's not overtly ridiculous.

But with things like the Wall Market scene, which Nomura has already intimated will be returning, filled with female objectification, cross-dressing and immensely unnecessary homosexual stereotypes played for cheap laughs, that in and of itself seems far more concerning. Moreso that fans were actively excited for it to return, which intensely pissed me off.

There's a fair amount that needs to be addressed, but I fear it's not going to be. Given how she's been modelled in games and movies after the fact, Tifa is not something that concerns me at this moment. Knowingly returning to scenes laden with stereotypes is.
I had some long, passionate essay written and I scrapped it.

My only question is why do we have to change this? Its already out there: the scene exists already, in canon. Why should they go? Are homosexuals, flat-chested women, and mild mannered black men really getting offended over a 20 year old videogame?

Am I allowed to say enough is enough and there are just some things you don't focus test for? Square should never have announced this game, and that makes me more sad than a little bit.

Puaru1

lmao and change her name as well I assume?

Then it would be hilarious when she talks to Aerith since they would be using same VA (for Japanese version)

Oh god, if they find a way to put Lightning in this game, even for a 1 second random cameo, the salt will be enough to sustain me for the rest of my life.

fedexpeon

Banned
Too good.

Seriously, when was this scene in AC? Reunited with Cloud after he finally stopped being an emo clown for 2yrs straight?

But yeah, Tifa, best girl in FF.
She knows how to take care of herself even from a young age, kicked Cloud's ass so bad that he had to run away from home to become a SOLDIER to prove himself to her.

Seriously, when was this scene in AC? Reunited with Cloud after he finally stopped being an emo clown for 2yrs straight?

She knows how to take care of herself even from a young age, kicked Cloud's ass so bad that he had to run away from home to become a SOLDIER to prove himself to her.

It was at the ending.

Skilletor

I had some long, passionate essay written and I scrapped it.

My only question is why do we have to change this? Its already out there: the scene exists already, in canon. Why should they go? Are homosexuals, flat-chested women, and mild mannered black men really getting offended over a 20 year old videogame?

Am I allowed to say enough is enough and there are just some things you don't focus test for? Square should never have announced this game, and that makes me more sad than a little bit.

Things have changed. If you want the same exact game, go play it.

Yuufa: Flat as a pancake. Probably Megan Fox.
Tifa: Bust the size of Scarlett Johannson's, pre-Iron Man.
Aeris: Busty but you don't notice - probably modest to big. She looks very thin and always fully clothed so it's hard to tell.

Exactly. She is defined by her punching skills and limit breaks.

LOL Most guys who played the game at the time remembers her via her tits.

Village

They basically turned him into Sisqo, tho. FFVII Barret would spit on AC Barret's bubble vest, and undo his corn-rows.

I mean, its adorable picturing Marlene, on a stool, doing Daddy's hair. But no, hell no. Corn-rows are the super generic black male. And dreads.

I prefer a nice 1.5 caeser fade.
No... They didnt. What in the world are you even talking about, is some soft shit ? Who even cares? he gets his hair done like did my sister and brother does and can still be frigging tough. Also plenty of people wear "bubble" coats.

You sound insecure as hell, in whatever warped sense of manlyless you have developed

Do you know what sisquo even looks like?

Also corn rolls and dreads arent generic black male because to this day black hair styles arent allowed in a bunch of professional settings and arent offered in a shit ton of games. Black people being able to wear hair styles that arent shaved head or enough chemicals in it yo make it look white is an actual problem.

You wondering the hell i have an issue with generic military black man Mr T number 7 billion

Overside

Banned
Why are you monsters trying to take an iconic hero away from sufferers of macromastia?

Honestly, my vote right now goes to whatever the hell squeenix wants.

Wazzy

Banned

Lol wut?

She ignores Cloud and then when he makes a dumb promise to become famous she's gets interested in him.

Whatever they do I hope it's not the AC design. It's so boring.

Black shorts.
Black top.
Black gloves.
Black shoes.

Black black black black black black black

The old outfit at least had a color scheme, simple as it was.

To be fair I didn't like most of the outfits in that movie anyway.

Puaru1

After thinking about it, Lightning really is just a better Cloud.

final-fantasy-13-xiii-9.jpg

She does his whole shtick better. I would totally play FF7R with a Lightning skin the whole game. Lightning is the most interesting female character Square has put out in years, since Selphie in Final Fantasy 8.

I forgot they had a movie about FF7 ages ago, just use those models
now pay me square

also add a retro mode, the old block models IN THE FULL HD WORLD , it would be the best thing to include

She does his whole shtick better. I would totally play FF7R with a Lightning skin the whole game. Lightning is the most interesting female character Square has put out in years, since Selphie in Final Fantasy 8.

Didnt Selphie almost kill the team by randomly mashing buttons in a robot she was riding?

mStudios

Change Tifa's skin tone?
Ayy lmao. This crosses the line. What's next? Make ChunLi south American?

Give her original design, with her big tits, just like her original designer wanted her.

Puaru1

Didnt Selphie almost kill the team by randomly mashing buttons in a robot she was riding?

Who hasn't accidentally almost killed a bunch of people with a robot?

Well, Cloud and Lightning share an almost similar facial structural.
If Cloud cross dresses into Lightning in FF7 as a cameo during the brothel part, he would look good.

Dude... that is actually a FANTASTIC idea. He should totally throw on Lightning's clothes from the original FF13 in the brothel scene!

No... They didnt. What in the world are you eveb talking about is some soft shit? Who eveb cares he gets his hair done like did my sister and brother does and can still be frigging tough.

You sound insecure as hell

Do you know what sisquo even looks like?

Also corn rolls and dreads arent geberic black male because to this day black hair styles arent allowed in a bunch of professional settings and arent offered in a shit ton of games. Black people being able to wear hair styles that arent shaved head or enough chemicals in it yo make it look white is an actual problem.
Yes. I know what Sisqo looks like circa "Thong Song". AC Barret is wearing his outfit.

I don't know what else you are really saying. Corn-rows and dreads are super fucking generic. Never said they weren't tough, just generic.

I don't have anything to be insecure about. I'm Wesley dark-skinned, bro. I could list a few movies and games between the 90s and early 00's where the blacks have either dread or rows. Thats generic from my point of view. Can you show me a few people that look like Barret and Mr. T? When few people look the same, thats called "unique". When everyone dresses and looks the same, with similar features thats "generic". You aren't using the word properly.

Just calm down. When you start typing angry, it shows.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Her Advent Children design is my favorite depiction of her but I'm quite certain they won't use this unless its an unlockable/DLC costume.

I guess her O.G design would suffice but with more realistic elements like having her bust a more reasonable size and maybe her being more toned since she IS a martial artist.

Houndi101

Wait, I'm not gonna read 9 pages of this (read like 3) but did anyone think that maybe Tifas breasts just happen to be big?

Whether Square changes reduces her breasts or not, there's sure to be someone not happy. They would need to cover her up in seven layers of coats, that'll keep people happy lmao

As long as there isn't any dumb jiggly effects it'll be fine. FF isn't known for unnecessary fan service.

Vex_

Banned
My point is that what makes a strong female cannot be so easily identified. I think it's foolish to change a character to conform to societies idea of what a strong female is. We haven't figured out how to represent what it means to be a strong female - and so for every company/franchise to drop everything and rush for the lastest trends in popular opinion is wrong.

My logic is not flawed in the way you are suggesting because there is a clear difference between chasing the strong woman and being outright sexist. Perhaps I did not adequately convey that differnce in my original post - but that is wht I'm referring to. Tifa's character design is not inherently sexist. Suggesting that Tifa's design contains innate sexism is a larger crime. She is sexualised because humans sexualise her. That process occurs within the viewer's mind, not within Tifa's fictional existence.

In 50 years time, Tifa should stand for big breastedness. There will be plenty of other takes on the ideal woman in that time. The original character vision should not be compromised on society's whim. Tifa's titties are an important stepping stone in humanities path for acceptance of all woman types.

#TeamTifa'sTits

This post is legendary. That last sentence especially gdlk.

Karkador

Banned
That less than answers my question. Thanks.

So, because its old... what? Its no longer applicable? Areas like the wallmarket don't exist anymore? Care to elaborate?

I'm saying that graphics are not the only thing you have to update in order to make FF7 a modern game in 2018, or whenever it gets released.

Even the people who made the game are likely not the same people they were in the mid 90s, and most likely have different inspirations for creating things now. There was already a considerable shift in the tone and the aesthetic of the FF7 world when the Advent Children stuff rolled around.

I'm not sure where you're getting that anyone is saying the Wall Market stuff should be removed.

Savitar

Someone may show you the two sketch out lines that basically has the both characters essentially being the same minus a few alterations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder how much CC2 is in charge of putting the designs into a 3 dimensional space. They are using UE4,so i think they should be given full reign as long as they use Nomura's original template for the designs.

They did god level work for G-Bike, a game for phones no less

Tifa having big breasts isn't an issue, as big breasts shouldn't be inherently sexual. Tifa getting absolutely absurd jiggle physics and the camera concentrating on her breasts over her face or doing camera angles to focus on them would be. FFXV's treatment of Cindy doesn't make me too excited for Square's treatment of a remastered Tifa, though Tabata has more of a history of this sort of thing than Nomura does.

I also agree that it's pretty silly to have a rake thin fighter and inhuman disproportionately large breasts, which Square hasn't done too badly with her in general. Her AC model was pretty great, but her Dissidia in motion had some wacky jiggle physics going on. For my part, I wouldn't mind both Tifa and Cloud getting a few more muscles, either, as Dissidia Cloud always looked so absurd with those thin limbs and giant sword.

I love the fan-art OP posted! Tifa has lots of personality, and awesome muscles. At any rate, just be semi-realistic with Tifa, Square! If Tifa's a hand-to-hand fighter, the girl would have the most impressive sports bra known to woman kind, especially doing that Dolphin Kick shit. It'd be pretty painful otherwise.

ike_

Count me in the group that thinks that fanart rendition is too good. I still kind of hope that is what they go with and in 10 years for the UHD re-remake we are discussing if her sexy deltoids are too large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom