• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Should Tifa Be Handled In Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlaphor

As for the Barret issue, I think a little more modernization could be in line, but not too much. Don't take the character too seriously, but don't be Japan's take on Mr T.

Make him a character that you could see Michael Jai White playing.

As for Tifa...well, if were posting cosplay pics to show our thought on the new game, then I volunteer this one.

wpid-999554_686546571359953_1230743134_n.jpg

Also, I think the AC outfit is kinda dumb and bland.

Replicant

Honestly I think the latest G-bike arts are all great. They should stick with it.

jq1Jx6P.jpg

The original designs are iconic, so I doubt they would actually redesign characters or give them new costumes, even the AC ones.

Not for Cid. He looks sick and in his death bed. WTF?!

Village

As for the Barret issue, I think a little more modernization could be in line, but not too much. Don't take the character too seriously, but don't be Japan's take on Mr T.
\.

They made better barret in AC

Just use that, he's un mr t'd and looks cool

Dugna

So the woman with big breasts fighting in a world with magic needs more "realistic" looks, when there is a guy who swings a sword bigger then his body around constantly and isn't the hulk. Every time I think of maybe a realistic looking Cloud I keep thinking of Guts

Yet we get the twig that's current Cloud, explain that to anybody and they basically go "magic".

The only thing they will probably have to change some is how Barret talks at all.

Mephala

I hope they adjust her proportions. The originals were exaggerated and kind of humourous but I think with a more realistic art style it'll look less charming and fun leaning more towards just pure pandering and sex appeal.

I like Tifa I don't think I'll be disappointed in what they choose unless it strays dramatically from all of her current appearances. I'm more interested in Red, Vincent and Cid. They were my favourites.

I mean...this topic is pretty obviously all about visual design.
I assumed all-emcompassing for Barret; I see more people talk about what he says more than how he sounds.

And, again, that was a style in the 80s/90s. If he had gold teeth or chains, I could understand, but he is just wearing clothing of that period. Nothing terrible.

Skilletor

Leave him be. Hes pissed for a reason and he grew up in a poor, rural area, explaining his linguistic skills. He has reasons for being how his is.

Cid curses almost as much (but he has less screen time), and is verbally abusive to his "wife" because she ruined his dream.

How about that?

Nobody else in Corel talked like a poor reject from a shitty slave narrative.

They made better barret in AC

Just use that, he's un mr t'd and looks cool

I dunno, that chain mesh or whatever shirt he was wearing was a tiny bit goofy looking. Like he was getting too old for the whole bare chested thing but didn't wanna completely give it up just yet.

Prototype

I think a more fruitful topic would be how is Square, in this day and age, going to handle the DLC? Because there will be DLC.

Gold Saucer Elite Ticket - $9.99 - unlocks the entire Park for you and gives you unlimited access to all the rides! Now you can try to get the highest score!

Gil Pack - $4.99 - Running low on Gil? Fear not brave adventurer! With the Gil pack you'll have enough money to buy a room in Costa Del Sol! (*Costa Del Sol sold separately.)

Original Costume Pack - $4.99 per character - Relive the classic Final Fantasy 7 story with the casts original costumes! Experience true nostalgia!

Gold Chocobo - $9.99 - Having a hard time breeding a gold Chocobo? This pack will set you free to explore the world of Final Fantasy 7 with your very own Gold Chocobo! Fly around the world and discover hidden secrets and much more!

Materia Packs - $4.99 each - green, red, yellow, purple, blue! All the Materia you could ask for at your finger tips! Don't let Yuffie (sold separately) steal them from you though! Kupo!

Level booster - $2.99 - Don't waste time grinding levels! Great for players who just want to experience the harrowing thrills of this epic story! Breeze through the game at your own pace!

Vincent and Yuffie - $14.99 (when you purchase both at the same time) - Unravel the mystery of Vincent Valentine and his dark past with the Turks. Having a Ninja around couldn't hurt! Make sure to grab Yuffie and explore Wutai! Just remember to keep an eye on your Materia!

But ya, let's keep talking about Tifa's tits.

Kindekuma

Banned
Knowing it is Japan, I expect to see something along the lines of the official CG render like the one in the bottom of the OP.

Village

I assumed all-emcompassing for Barret; I see more people talk about what he says more than how he sounds.

And, again, that was a style in the 80s/90s. If he had gold teeth or chains, I could understand, but he is just wearing clothing of that period. Nothing terrible.

Its terrible to me, its generic and uninteresting and 1 of a billion mr t designs.

I think advenvent children barret is way more interesting. It was the first Black FF design as a black person I could actually get into

There was never another one. it wasn't about the style at the time, it was litterally just MR T and generic as hell

I think a more fruitful topic would be how is Square, in this day and age, going to handle the DLC? Because there will be DLC.

They would be crucified if they even try to lock out Vincent and Yuffie through a paywall. You want to talk about fan backlash? Oh man they would not survive if they locked anything from the original behind DLC.

Skilletor

Gold Saucer Elite Ticket - $9.99 - unlocks the entire Park for you and gives you unlimited access to all the rides! Now you can try to get the highest score!

Gil Pack - $4.99 - Running low on Gil? Fear not brave adventurer! With the Gil pack you'll have enough money to buy a room in Costa Del Sol! (*Costa Del Sol sold separately.)

Original Costume Pack - $4.99 per character - Relive the classic Final Fantasy 7 story with the casts original costumes! Experience true nostalgia!

Gold Chocobo - $9.99 - Having a hard time breeding a gold Chocobo? This pack will set you free to explore the world of Final Fantasy 7 with your very own Gold Chocobo! Fly around the world and discover hidden secrets and much more!

Materia Packs - $4.99 each - green, red, yellow, purple, blue! All the Materia you could ask for at your finger tips! Don't let Yuffie steal them from you though! Kupo!

Level booster - $2.99 - Don't waste time grinding levels! Great for players who just want to experience the harrowing thrills of this epic story! Breeze through the game at your own pace!

Vincent and Yuffie - $14.99 (when you purchase both at the same time) - Unravel the mystery of Vincent Valentine and his dark past with the Turks. Having a Ninja around couldn't hurt! Make sure to grab Yuffie and explore Wutai! Just remember to keep an eye on your Materia!

But ya, let's keep talking about Tifa's tits.

When they give me a reason to worry about DLC on their console games, I'll get as paranoid and cynical as you appear to be.

Prototype

They would be crucified if they even try to lock out Vincent and Yuffie through a paywall. You want to talk about fan backlash? Oh man they would not survive if they locked anything from the original behind DLC.
Ya people would certainly cry bloody murder.

But maybe they'd pay anyway. They know people want this bad.

ugly

I hope they keep the titties.

I believe it is foolish to mess with the identity of an established character to appease humanity's idea of what is acceptable. Horizon: Zero Dawn's character lead is a triumph of progression in female representation in games. I believe this to be true. However, to then homogenise the variety of other ladies in gaming to conform to this single view of women - it glosses over the complexity of female representation and to my eyes is a form of regression.

I know beautiful and large-tittied women who have a hard time with how titties are perceived - they struggle to find underwear that fits them despite otherwise being rather slender - you'd be surprised what that can do to body image on top of media making a curve towards favouring averagely-endowed women. You cannot please everybody, so the best thing to do is have a wide and varied pool of representation in media (including in games).

There is also the #freethenipple supporters to consider. No, I do not jest. Society's view on what it means to be a women is changing. People ask why breasts should be considered any more sexual than a man's torso. Furthermore, why should sexuality be shunned and hid away? This suggests an immature mindset - not childish, simply a mindset that hasn't grown to accept and encompass all that a human woman can be.

I believe Tifa stands for one side of a spectrum, and it would be dishonest and insensitive to alter her design purely to appease one facet of society. By doing this, you hurt another demographic inadvertently. Yes, the fact of reality is that some people are hurt, and some are not - but if you are a character designer working on a huge franchise with a storied history and large fan-base, it is wiser to consider tradition.

#TeamTifa'sTits

Windforce

Women are more than their chests

Women are just chest to you?

I know who's going to be in my ignore list.

I don't think 'women are just chests'. Not at all, sorry if I came across suggesting that. I just don't see the need to have all women look 'realistic' in games when we can have them over the top - why not have them more 'iconic', like Tifa? It's fantasy. 99% of male protagonists have huge muscular arms and perfect abs I can only dream to have, yet I don't see male body shaming.

Who in MKX is flat chested?

I think he's mistaking cleavage for breast size

FlowersisBritish is correct. They're probably not flat chested, just not revealing enough, I suppose.

Village

I hope they keep the titties.

I believe it is foolish to mess with the identity of an established character to appease humanity's idea of what is acceptable.

I think its totally ok

If you have a racist character, sexist , homophobic , or whatever character of a character, and you undo that for a modern day... that's totally fine. I'm not saying ff7 is any of those things, although some people would argue with barret.

I'm just pointing out a huge flaw in your logic

Its terrible to me, its generic and uninteresting and 1 of a billion mr t designs.

I think advenvent children barret is way more interesting. It was the first Black FF design as a black person I could actually get into

There was never another one. it wasn't about the style at the time, it was litterally just MR T and generic as hell
I can't change how you feel about it, I just feel differently. I feel AC is in the same vein, kinda. I mean, metallic bubble vest? Thats basically the same shit in a different color, sans the metal girdle. And cargos still, I believe. Its kind of the same thing, but now he has a metallc hand as well. And corn-rows. They REALLY gave him fucking corn-rows.

Thats just as bad, if you find it bad.

woopWOOP

I like her AC look best. Her low poly sprites with huge pointy knockers always looked kind of ridiculous to me, but I'm fine with whatever they go with.

Hope Barret's head is still all square shaped tho.

Whatever they do, please jebus add some muscular tone to her. Melee fighters, especially hand to hand, need definition. The fan art in OP is excellent.

Anything is fine. I don't think any of the renditions you posted are far off from the original. I rewatched the Advent Children scene, and her breasts are still large. However, I am deeply bothered by thoughts like this:

But from a story and character standpoint, it feels like a pointless and often distracting abundance of fanservice regarding a character who we are supposed to take seriously as the (arguably) primary heroine of Final Fantasy VII.
Large breasted women deserve to be taken just as seriously as other women. That Tifa having large breasts could somehow put that position in peril for you is detestable.

Also, that fan art you posted sucks.

Skilletor

Got some dialog to show me?

I'm playing it right now, and I haven't heard a hymn yet.

Maybe "the train we on don't make no stops", but thats backwoods talk. Or slang.

I don't care to go find it. I know I was tired of reading all of the "Gits," and taking out consonants when Barret spoke. ("Si'down and shu'up!") And, again, nobody else in the game talks like Barrett. The only thing missing in my mind is a few sarcastic "massa"s. It's terribly racist.

Honestly I think the latest G-bike arts are all great. They should stick with it.

jq1Jx6P.jpg

The original designs are iconic, so I doubt they would actually redesign characters or give them new costumes, even the AC ones.
In the FF VII-R trailer, Cloud and Barret look like they may be based on these.

Barret appears to be wearing a leather brown vest again instead of the white nylon one from AC. His hair is rather unclear though. Cloud though is also not wearing the black shirt from AC but rather his blue vested turtleneck. So, this could suggest that the G-Bike art (or just the original concept art) is what they're going for -- at the very least, they don't appear to be using the AC clothing.

That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Barret in AC looked nothing like FF VII PSX Barret. I didn't like the new Cloud outfit either but it was mostly just a more Nomura-esque costume change that was still somewhat fitting at least. But Barret... Barret was my favorite character in VII and in AC he looked and stylistically captured noting about what made him awesome in VII.

So, hopefully they go back to classic Barret or at least that G-Bike look.

ZangBa

I'm more worried about Barret and Cid being nerfed into Sesame Street territory. I'd imagine Tifa would resemble her original self. I was playing the game earlier with my nephew earlier and noticed during the CGI cutscene where they bust out of the Shinra building with the car and motorcycle, that Tifa's gigantic tits had jiggle physics, I thought that was pretty hilarious. I'm pretty sure those are getting nerfed into something more sensible, but I hope they don't because of how stupid it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom