• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would folks go about creative a slightly more unified "MMORPG community", the same way the Fighting game community (FGC) is?

jcorb

I love MMO's. There's just something special about having a game you can sink any amount of time into, that you can also play and socialize with your friends and fam. However, it seems like MMO communities are extremely fractured, even within a single game. Even folks who have never played WoW before are likely aware that it has one of the most toxic communities in all of gaming.

Now, I also love playing other games, including Fighting games. The thing is, while ever individual game will have its own dedicated community, there also tends to be quite a lot of overlap. In fact, most folks in the FGC are super supportive of Fighting games in general, and it's generally an extremely friendly, welcoming community as a whole.

As different as MMORPG's and Fighting games are *mechanically*, both actually trend towards very similar gaming habits. And both rely heavily on social interaction, with FFXIV being kind of the sole exception of playing more like a single-player RPG that just happens to have optional multiplayer content for those looking for it.

It just gets me to wondering, how might fans of MMORPG's be able to unify a bit more? MMO's are kind of a dying breed these days, but I would think there is enough overlap of MMO fans to cobble together some kind of greater community.

Would it be just... folks just trying to make events to bring MMO players together, and see if it grows into something more? What sort of approach do you think would be likely to bring MMO fans together?

Or do you think there are other more significant differences between MMO's and Fighters that would simply never be able to be replicated?

It would be hilariously impractical to organize an event for MMO players that would be even remotely comparable to an FGC event. At an FGC you just need to bring a stick or controller and you're good. No accounts or logins are required, matches are short, and lots of people can turns on a single station. MMOs just don't work that way. Everyone would need active (possibly paid) accounts for multiple games, as well as their own PC and peripherals they'd have to watch at all times so shit doesn't get stolen or messed with.

It's just an all-around bad idea.

Freeman76

Make it more like GW2 than wow.

In gw2 you want to run into other players whenever possible

In wow they are nothing but a pain in the arse, stealing ore nodes, mobs, everyone oit for self

Top Bottom