• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you do an isekai/trapped in a game/'other world' game?

Dio

Banned
There are several big things going on in the anime/light novel industry in Japan right now that are getting a lot of market visibility, and the market's getting flooded with a lot of stuff with the following themes:

- "Isekai," also known as 'I've been reincarnated/trapped in a fantasy world'
- I'm playing a VR game and it's basically another world or I'm trapped in said VR game
- Contrasting the traditional fantasy "Hero and Demon King" storyline with a modern sensibility/'a twist' (see Maoyū Maō Yūsha where the Hero ends up getting together with the assumed "Demon King villain" and tries to save the world with economics.)

SAO's anime adaptation brought a new wave of anime with it that used the 'normal person trapped in a game' theme - stuff like Log Horizon, Overlord, et cetera where the cast is all trapped in a videogame and the NPCs have suddenly become self aware.

Isekai stuff would be things like Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (a human girl from our world is reincarnated into a regular monster spider in a fantasy world), Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken (a human from our world is reincarnated into a slime and can gain new powers as they explore the unfamiliar fantasy world), Mushoku Tensei (an overweight disgusting NEET from our world is reincarnated as a baby in another world and essentially given a second chance to live right in a fantasy world), Re:Monster (a man from our world is stabbed and reincarnated as a goblin in a fantasy world)

The Hero and Demon King with a twist stuff would include things like The Devil is a Part-Timer (the Demon King escapes to our world from the fantasy world and ends up working as a burger flipper at McDonald's) There's a Demon Lord on the Floor (the Demon Lord escapes to our world and looks for work and ends up at a family restaurant) or Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita (the Hero didn't get a chance to start heroing because the demon lord was defeated, and ends up working at a shop.)

You get the idea - a lot of these light novels and TV shows actually have a large amount of overlap, because in Kumo Desu ga, Re:Monster and Slime there's actually a voice in their head telling them 'they leveled up' and status windows and everything, like they were IN a videogame - but they're not, they just have a power that lets them view the world like a videogame.

Stuff like this from Kumo Desu ga:

pkb4edA.png

As you can see here, by the time this manga adaptation of the LN came out, the story was already pretty aware of the 'tropes' of this sort of genre.

It's worth noting that a common thread in most of those kinds of stories is an enormous amount of wish fulfillment.

Hallmarks (will edit as necessary):
Has a floating user interface for skills/inventory and stuff and GM announcer voice in the character's head (not necessary, but quite common in the genre)
Fantasy worlds are involved (usually either using the setting of a badly balanced MMO with pay to win mechanics, like Overlord's cash shop items being used by the main character)
Sometimes involves reincarnation, or getting 'a second chance' at life
Almost always has a 'demon lord' and 'chosen hero' involved

Okay, so I typed out a bunch of stupid crap, now let's look at the only game adaptation of something that falls under this large umbrella, the Sword Art Online games.

Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment
Sword Art Online: Lost Song

Generally, these are basically a single player MMO (which would later have some multiplayer elements) but with slight dating sim bits to them, but are mostly received with mixed reactions - some people expected a lot more from them.

However, what I'm curious to see is how YOU would look at creating a game using one or all of these genres (since some of the series I've mentioned use multiple, all or one of the genres and hallmarks I mentioned.) I don't necessarily mean dump design docs in here, it's fine just throwing ideas out there.

I personally think there could be some really cool stuff done if you could switch between modern 'our world' and the fantasy world, and the 'user trapped in a VR game' idea was most recently done in Digimon: Cyber Sleuth - but I feel like the game industry really hasn't reflected this gigantic boom in the light novel/anime industry. Maybe that's good, maybe it isn't, but some of these stories are either guilty pleasures or legit interesting and entertaining thanks to the nature of a character being 'genre savvy' and essentially being a normal person put into the world of a videogame.

Like, think about if you played as someone from the modern world who was a computer guy and knew enough to use magic to create a 'computer' in a fantasy world using the principles, or something like that and turned that world upside down, or messed with the economy thanks to their modern knowledge of economics, et cetera - this sorta has the same appeal as traveling back in time with advanced technology.

That's just one specific idea, but there's a lot to work with here, I think, from a game mechanic perspective. In the case of Slime, the character gains new skills every time they absorb an enemy - for example, when absorbing a monster snake the slime has a poison ability, but instead of throwing away the old one like Kirby the slime just keeps getting new ones. Same goes for Re:Monster, where as an goblin the main character gets a new power every time they eat something - when eating a spider they get a spider silk out of their fingers ability, when eating a bat he gets an echolocation power, et cetera.

DocSeuss

It's cool to know that the concept has an actual word to it. It's one of my favorite tropes, but one I also feel is rarely done well. I've been toying about with the idea of one that I'd like to do after this shooter I'm making, focusing heavily on the ways that being trapped in a hostile world has an impact on characters who are ill-equipped for it. Very character-driven.

In general, though, I think Digimon is the best starting point.

Dio

Banned
It's cool to know that the concept has an actual word to it. It's one of my favorite tropes, but one I also feel is rarely done well. I've been toying about with the idea of one that I'd like to do after this shooter I'm making, focusing heavily on the ways that being trapped in a hostile world has an impact on characters who are ill-equipped for it. Very character-driven.

In general, though, I think Digimon is the best starting point.

Yeah, there's stuff airing this season like Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! both of which involve losers from modern Japanese life wearing tracksuits getting transported to a fantasy world they are ill equipped to deal with - both of them are adaptations of light novels of the same name.

I feel like the fact that a lot of these types of shows have very game-like or straight up SAO-like floating GUI interfaces and use terminology like "skills" and "level up" and "HP" as if it was a game, even if it's a normal fantasy world - basically applying MMO/game mechanics to an actual world and that's 'the way it is' for everyone, not just the main character - could have some real interesting mechanical applications from a game standpoint. You know, like if NPCs in a game were capable of using those menus and opening inventories and using a PM system.

Of course, this is all more along the lines of 'idea stuff' without any real implementations being offered from me. I'm just sorta bouncing ideas off a wall.

royox

If it's an MMO world like Log Horizon I would do great as you can die and resurrect like if it was a game (losing some bits of memory of the real world...but only a few know that so I would be happy withouth knowing). In a MMO worl like SAO?? I think I would never leave a safe zone...that anime scared the shit out of me with all those ""pvp"" players (srsly...you are KILLING THEM IN REAL LIFE) and all the kill fest that is every dungeon boss.

Dio

Banned
If it's an MMO world like Log Horizon I would do great as you can die and resurrect like if it was a game (losing some bits of memory of the real world...but only a few know that so I would be happy withouth knowing). In a MMO worl like SAO?? I think I would never leave a safe zone...that anime scared the shit out of me with all those ""pvp"" players (srsly...you are KILLING THEM IN REAL LIFE) and all the kill fest that is every dungeon boss.

Well, the 'bits of memory' mechanic could be translated into a game mechanic. If you die, you forget the exp you've gained for a random learned 'skill' and you have to level it back up again. That's not necessarily fun, though. It's functionally the same as 'permadeath' for characters in that it makes you afraid to die, but it's more of an inconvenience than something to really fear.

As for those YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE FOR REAL mechanics, the closest MMO I think that ever did that was Wizardry Online, where characters had hard permadeath. Another example would be Hardcore mode in the Diablo series.

In both cases, that's just making it so you lose a bunch of progress as punishment - and I'm not sure that's really the type of game I'd like to put a lot of time into unless it was done right. Griefers already make those kinds of games nightmares for some people - destroying or stealing peoples ships and stuff in Eve actually can lose them thousands of real dollars in actual money.

Top Bottom