• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Beaten lol

Updated Revive Injector is out. Includes Touch and Oculus Remote support!

This release adds Oculus Touch/Remote support and fixes issues in Farlands, Henry and Lucky's Tale.

Besides compatibility changes, the ReviveInjector has been improved and can now be used for any Oculus Home game.

New features

• Added support for Oculus Touch and Oculus Remote using the Vive controllers.
  • ReviveInjector can now hook into any Oculus Home game.
  • Switched to XInput 1.3 for Windows 7 support.
  • Reduced flickering and latency.

Bug fixes

• Fixed controllers not working in Lucky's Tale and Technolust (#29).
  • Fixed not being able to take snapshots in Farlands (#5).
  • Fixed sepia colors in Henry (#3)

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Now that the revive update is out and my controller actually works for Lucky's Tale... I have to to say, I really like it. It is nice to have some seated experiences. It is super "cute". That might wear off but for now I'm entertained by the environment alone. Worth a play through and the price is right :D

How much are those little puzzle piece foam pads? My set up is in an unfinished basement so I've been working on making it good for VR

Not for this purpose, but I bought some from Sam's Club for $20. Covered 33sq feet.

Not bad, will pick some up soon.

I have them in my theater/vive room in the basement. They work well but the ones at costco/sams are a bit on the thin side so if you are putting them down on concrete you may want to look at something thicker as they are just 1/4 inch. Going to just 1/8 more to 3/8 is a huge jump and a little better on the knees.

u8jcQqV.jpg

charpunk

I've only had my vive since thursday and one of my controller's trigger is having issues already. It only snaps back 100% of the way so things like releasing balloons in the lab doesn't work. I managed to recalibrate it by running through the roomscale setup again. My other trigger now has a grinding sound.

Kind of worries me since I haven't used it a lot yet to be already having these issues.

I've only had my vive since thursday and one of my controller's trigger is having issues already. It only snaps back 100% of the way so things like releasing balloons in the lab doesn't work. I managed to recalibrate it by running through the roomscale setup again. My other trigger now has a grinding sound.

Kind of worries me since I haven't used it a lot yet to be already having these issues.

In a specific game it grinds?

Defect

Audioshield would be the best if it were like Osu where you download people's beatmaps and get scores on leaderboards.

We need more VR rhythm games.

Audioshield would be the best if it were like Osu where you download people's beatmaps and get scores on leaderboards.

We need more VR rhythm games.

Yup. I got a refund for it in the end, but will rebuy if they ever add user designed beatmaps. Beatmaps generated by algorithm stink.

Cartman86

Banned
So has anyone been able to actually add a non-steam VR game shortcut into Steam without horrid judder? Whether it's the ReviveInjector Oculus stuff or non-Steam Vive games like the GiantCop demo or Sightline I get massive judder (which doesn't happen when running those executables outside of Steam). Does this just not work yet?

jotun?

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but for people wondering whether they want to get one of these or not, there are demos available at Microsoft stores and Gamestop locations

I tried the demo at the Microsoft store in Austin, and the demo routine was
- Intro room where you can see the controllers, make balloons, and bounce them around
- TheBlu, underwater "welcome to VR, look at the pretty stuff" demo, no interaction
- Tilt Brush, 3D painting
- Space Pirate Trainer, shoot at waves of attacking probe things with either two guns or gun+shield

I have an Oculus DK2 at home, but this was my first time trying the Vive. The room-scale setup immediately felt more natural and immersive than anything I've tried in the DK2. I noticed that the position mapping of the controllers was extremely accurate - if I touched them together, the VR representations touched perfectly too, with no weird gaps or overlap between the models.

The demos were pretty cool, but I was disappointed that they didn't have anything that involved object manipulation, other than being able to bat the balloons around in the intro. I really wanted to see how it felt to pick things up and throw them around

x3sphere

So has anyone been able to actually add a non-steam VR game shortcut into Steam without horrid judder? Whether it's the ReviveInjector Oculus stuff or non-Steam Vive games like the GiantCop demo or Sightline I get massive judder (which doesn't happen when running those executables outside of Steam). Does this just not work yet?

Guess not, I had the same issue a few weeks back. The judder you get is because the games get locked to 60 FPS when launching them through Steam for some reason

Durante

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but for people wondering whether they want to get one of these or not, there are demos available at Microsoft stores and Gamestop locations

- Intro room where you can see the controllers, make balloons, and bounce them around
- TheBlu, underwater "welcome to VR, look at the pretty stuff" demo, no interaction
- Space Pirate Trainer, shoot at waves of attacking probe things with either two guns or gun+shield

I have an Oculus DK2 at home, but this was my first time trying the Vive. The room-scale setup immediately felt more natural and immersive than anything I've tried in the DK2. I noticed that the position mapping of the controllers was extremely accurate - if I touched them together, the VR representations touched perfectly too, with no weird gaps or overlap between the models.

The demos were pretty cool, but I was disappointed that they didn't have anything that involved object manipulation, other than being able to bat the balloons around in the intro. I really wanted to see how it felt to pick things up and throw them around
Every demo should be the Budget Cuts demo. It really is that good.

jotun?

How was the wait? Is there a signup process/time reservation system or did you just go? Want to check it out but time is super limited!

We went right after lunch, waited ~45 minutes for 4 people ahead of us to go through it. I don't think there's any way to sign up other than in person, no reservations. They actually recommend not leaving the store while waiting, because they'll just skip right over you if you aren't there for your turn.

taoofjord

Finally played through the short demo/proof of concept for The Abbot's Book. It's very rough but super promising. They absolutely NAILED the gothic horror tone and atmosphere of works from authors like Clark Ashton Smith. Can't wait for the first episode's release later this year.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

They were demo'ing this at a Gamestop on the otherside of town and we happened to be out that way. They were pretty booked up already, but they fit my son and daughter in and they both were wow'd by the experience. Wife and I didn't get a shot at it, as their was other people waiting.

Exact same list of games in that order.

Every demo should be the Budget Cuts demo. It really is that good.

AMEN!!
Demoed the vive to 3 groups of friends now. Always finish on budget cuts.Everyone loves it. It's the one game where everyone forgets about the room confines and just moves about and pick things up and gets on hands and knees and interacts with full immersion.
Quality.

How was the wait? Is there a signup process/time reservation system or did you just go? Want to check it out but time is super limited!

I went to the MS Store as well to demo it.

Each person takes about 15-20 minutes per demo. There's no reservations except for standing in a line.

If you really want to demo it and are short on time, get there right as the mall opens. I waited about 80 minutes, but had fun chatting with everyone in line about it.

There's some sort of control software on the PC which force the demo's to run on a timer (probably like 4-5 minutes per title). As soon as the timer clicks over the game goes to black and it launches the next one. A bit jarring since it can happen in the middle of SPT or whatever but at least it keeps the line rolling.

So I played Vanishing Realms and really enjoyed it. It was one of the better experiences I had with the Vive (3rd time using the Vive). The only issue I had when playing was looking down at my inventory belt, it was super blurry. I had to push the Vive against my face as I tilted down to keep focus. I assume this means that the headset is too loose? I don't want to mess with the straps unless this is the case because I am happy with how comfortable it is currently.

I took my Family over to the Gamestop to check it out today. My Wife was nothing but smiles once it went on. She was against buying one until that moment, she is now glad I put a order in in early April.

My Son really dug SPT. He had the cable over his shoulder which made it get in his way a bit more but he can't wait until ours comes in.

I've activated the camera to kick in when the chaperone appears. So instead of a grid, I have the room highlighted in a kind of Tron blue haze.

Does anyone know if you can change the colour scheme of this? I want to be like Daredevil when I got my mask on :))
been watching Netflix

Boy are you in for a treat with job simulator.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wait, I thought reprojection was for weaker GPU's? I have an R9 390, 32 GB of ram and an i5 6600k. Thing is the other day everything was working fine.

Hmm, I know this probably isn't it but I just looked in my system window on control panel and it's saying I only have 16.0 GB of ram installed. But I installed 2 sticks of 16 GB ram when I built my computer... Does this mean I am only utilizing 16 GB? How do I fix that?

Reprojection is "active" by default. Once it detects several frames dropped it kicks in. I de-activated immediately as I got the Vive upon reading that some of the developers had issues with it at launch. So you could try to tick it off and see if the problems persist.

fubarduck

We went right after lunch, waited ~45 minutes for 4 people ahead of us to go through it. I don't think there's any way to sign up other than in person, no reservations. They actually recommend not leaving the store while waiting, because they'll just skip right over you if you aren't there for your turn.

Thanks, don't have that kind of time unfortunately so I'll wait for mine to ship. I'm a May shipment, which still feels like an eternity away!

Jams775

Does anyone get a bit of VR brain after use? I don't know how to describe it but it's a bit surreal and sometimes I think a grid comes into view when I blink. Yesterday I was talking to my parents and when I went to leave the room and tried teleporting out and found myself pressing my thumb into where the circle pad would be.

Hopefully this is just me being weird.

jotun?

Does anyone get a bit of VR brain after use? I don't know how to describe it but it's a bit surreal and sometimes I think a grid comes into view when I blink. Yesterday I was talking to my parents and when I went to leave the room and tried teleporting out and found myself pressing my thumb into where the circle pad would be.

That kind of thing happens to me with regular games, but I imagine it would be stronger after VR.

If I drive after playing a bunch of Mario Kart, I have an urge in the back of my head to start drifting and shit. Just Cause 3 gives me a strong urge to blow up cell towers.

BIGWORM

That kind of thing happens to me with regular games, but I imagine it would be stronger after VR.

If I drive after playing a bunch of Mario Kart, I have an urge in the back of my head to start drifting and shit. Just Cause 3 gives me a strong urge to blow up cell towers.

Mario Kart, as in, Mario Kart VR, or just Mario Kart period?

Also. I double checked my bank account and saw that the payment for the Vive was taken immediately, which I would rather have. I had setup my budgeting to pay for the Vive this past week, instead of when it ships in June. Can't wait! =D

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I got a couple times a VR vision of the reality, I can't really explain how it is exactly, but it was like seeing what's in front of me through the HMD.

But it happened to me in the past with some regular games that I played a lot. Like after Lego City Undercover I was imagining demolishing some real things for bricks.

I finally got to try the Vive, and I can honestly say it's way better than I expected. And I already had pretty high expectations.

I had everything kind of jury-rigged just to do a quick test, and ended up playing with it for about 7 hours (trading off with some other people, though). I'm definitely looking forward to getting it set up "for real".

Some thoughts:
  • The Lab was way better than I was expecting a bunch of demos to be. Longbow and Slingshot were my favorites.
  • Budget Cuts was amazing. I was genuinely sad when it was over -- but I'll gladly pay whatever price for it when it's released.
  • Job Simulator was pretty good, but a bit "basic".
  • Tiltbrush was really neat.
  • Fantastic Contraption seems really cool, but it didn't hold my attention for very long, even though I like "thinking/building" puzzles. It was also the only one that made me feel a bit queasy after ~30 minutes.
  • Surgeon Simulator VR Demo was pretty cool.
Overall I was totally blown away. Any initial complaints I had about the FOV, blurriness, etc. completely went away once I was really into a game. I mean, the FOV and blurriness are still issues, obviously, but they just don't matter when you have the level of interactivity that you do with the Vive. They didn't negatively impact the experience in any notable way.

Another thing that I might be interesting is that I was one of the people that couldn't feel "presence" with the Oculus DK1 and DK2. To me, those felt like having a mostly 2D scene strapped to your face (they also made me sick within ~5-10 minutes). The Vive was the first time I felt full "presence" and, like I said, I spent hours playing it yesterday and didn't get sick from it.

It's truly an amazing experience. If I still had it set up, and I wasn't slightly sore, I'd be right back in it today.

Basically:
LR9iN0f.gif

I had something like that after I stopped playing, although not exactly as you described. I had "phantom cord" (i.e. it felt like I still had the cord running down my back) and certain things (like opening cabinets and drawers) felt "strange" after doing it in VR for a while. It definitely changed my perception for a good hour or so after I stopped playing.

Jams775

I got a couple times a VR vision of the reality, I can't really explain how it is exactly, but it was like seeing what's in front of me through the HMD.

But it happened to me in the past with some regular games that I played a lot. Like after Lego City Undercover I was imagining demolishing some real things for bricks.

YES! It's like a flash instant. Almost like Déjà vu and funnily enough a Déjà vu in The Matrix.

I had something like that after I stopped playing, although not exactly as you described. I had "phantom cord" (i.e. it felt like I still had the cord running down my back) and certain things (like opening cabinets and drawers) felt "strange" after doing it in VR for a while. It definitely changed my perception for a good hour or so after I stopped playing.

Yeah I got the phantom cord too but that went away. There seems to be quite a few different sensations that stay behind. Some lasting longer than others.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can see how cool Budget Cuts can be, but I'm really, REALLY bad at throwing the blades. Like, absolutely awful. I need a gun. (though i guess technically there is one, I didn't use it yet though!)

I can see how cool Budget Cuts can be, but I'm really, REALLY bad at throwing the blades. Like, absolutely awful. I need a gun. (though i guess technically there is one, I didn't use it yet though!)

Oh, I was awful at the knives, too. Basically I teleported around and either came up right behind them to ensure I didn't miss, or I threw one to create a distraction first.

I'm sure that'll get tweaked, but I definitely wouldn't mind working my way up to something that shot a bit straighter. (I didn't use the dart gun -- I forgot about it by the time I had it!)

Yeah I got the phantom cord too but that went away. There seems to be quite a few different sensations that stay behind. Some lasting longer than others.
All of the sensations went away in about an hour for me. I wouldn't classify any of them as "bad" (certainly not anything even close to Oculus-level nausea, which lasted for a day and a half) so I wasn't overly concerned. It's definitely weird, though.

sk3

Banned
2m x 2m should really be the minimum for room scale. They shouldn't allow 1.5m. My space is 1.6x2.2m and it isn't enough. I can't move an inch or extend my arms without popping up the chaperone.

I'm moving my setup to an open room ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom