• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I have to post about Water Bears VR.

I completed it yesterday, and it really surprised me. Primarily by being perhaps the single most polished complete game on the Vive. This includes everything from menu interactions, over the rendering image quality which is some of the best I've seen in the Vive, to the way interactions with everything feel. To give you an example of the latter, you can throw pieces of the puzzle into the water, and the make a satisfying splash when they land, both aurally and visually. There's absolutely no need to support that and it has nothing to do with the main gameplay, but it's still handled gracefully. Another example is how you can pick up and interact with the "Water Bears" (whatever those are) after completing a level.

The biggest issue with the game and the only one I can really identify is that I wish there was more of it (it features ~50 levels), and that the puzzles ramped up in difficulty more quickly.

Anyway, if you want a relaxing and very polished game to play in VR in between hectic sessions of Holopoint or Audiosurf I highly recommend it. I guess the biggest compliment I can make it is that I'd instantly buy a DLC level pack for it.

I'm really hesitant to buy in to it before it comes out of early access but man that looks fun.

So apparently the guy that made revive said that oculus didn't block revive from working and he should have an updated revive before the weekends over.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4g13kh/warning_luckys_tale_103_breaks_revive/d2e66e3
Good to hear. I'm still trying to decide if I'd be ok with buying a game from Oculus Home that I won't have access to for random amounts of time. I guess it's better than not being able to play them at all.

Jams775

I'm kind of surprised how much of a non issue the cable is. Even when you have to "deal" with it, it's not really bothersome. Like I can tell which way I need to turn for it not to tangle up and stuff. Very good!

Fixed the issue with crackling audio by going into Windows playback settings and making HDMI audio the default and not USB audio.

I also had issues getting SteamVR to see the controllers and I ended up changing to another USB port to fix the issue. At first I used USB 3 but then I was having issues when I installed the Vive desktop app and switched to USB 2 which caused more issues. Now everything seems to be working fine and I can settle in and play. Phone connected and all.
(Note: if the Vive says camera unavailable, a reboot will fix it, another app like Skype might be holding it hostage)

Alright now that I've gotten more settled with the setup (including having to reinstall the mounts in the walls so they're within 5.5m) reinstalling the Vive desktop app and having played Budget Cuts.

Man... Budget Cuts is the selling game right there. There is just something about it that makes it feel beyond anything I've played before. Can't wait to try out other games but I have a feeling I started the show with a show stopper.

I used a printout (Google ipd test or something) that just had a ruler printed on it that you hold above your eyes and look into a mirror. Close your right eye and line up the zero mark above your left pupil. Then without moving, close your left eye and open your right, and view the measurement lining up with your right pupil. They recommended being about 20cm away from a mirror. I got 66mm with that which seems fine in the vive but I don't really know what I'm looking for to check. It does have a pretty narrow sweetspot in focus

Thanks my IPD is 2 1/2 inches or 6.35mm exactly so I had it in a little too much. I loosened the top strap and pulled the back down a little more just above the ears (I have a big head and the straps come set for a smaller head) and it fits better too so that helps.

I posted about it in the shipping thread, but I shouldn't freak out if my processing charge disappears completely and the money is back in my account right? ...Right?
That's what mine did before it finally got charged. It should be fine. I think mine might have even taken a day to actually get charged after it disappeared.

I posted about it in the shipping thread, but I shouldn't freak out if my processing charge disappears completely and the money is back in my account right? ...Right?

My pending dropped off Friday morning. Friday afternoon I got my shipping notification. Still haven't been officially charged. You'll be fine!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have to post about Water Bears VR.

I completed it yesterday, and it really surprised me. Primarily by being perhaps the single most polished complete game on the Vive. This includes everything from menu interactions, over the rendering image quality which is some of the best I've seen in the Vive, to the way interactions with everything feel. To give you an example of the latter, you can throw pieces of the puzzle into the water, and the make a satisfying splash when they land, both aurally and visually. There's absolutely no need to support that and it has nothing to do with the main gameplay, but it's still handled gracefully. Another example is how you can pick up and interact with the "Water Bears" (whatever those are) after completing a level.

The biggest issue with the game and the only one I can really identify is that I wish there was more of it (it features ~50 levels), and that the puzzles ramped up in difficulty more quickly.

Anyway, if you want a relaxing and very polished game to play in VR in between hectic sessions of Holopoint or Audiosurf I highly recommend it. I guess the biggest compliment I can make it is that I'd instantly buy a DLC level pack for it.

Does it really need 4x3m to play though? It looks interesting but I have nowhere near that space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there's an ebay listing currently going for $1100 ($1084 to be exact)

anyone thinks this is a good price to get Vive NOW?

That's what anyone in the UK like me paid for it, and I consider it worth it. But then the value of money varies from place to place and person to person.

Zalusithix

i was just saying compared to other ebay and craigslist sales.

I know. I just can't help but be amused by the silliness of it all. Don't get me wrong - people are free to spend their money however they want, even if that does amount to spending hundreds of dollars more to get something a couple weeks to months earlier. The only real winners though are the people selling them.

If my only concern is watching videos, what's better, Virtual Desktop, or Cineveo?
I'm mainly concerned with ease of use, possibly using something like Hulu, and if there's weird framerate jank due to mismatch between Vive/Video sources. Whichever one handles those best, really.

Wallach

If my only concern is watching videos, what's better, Virtual Desktop, or Cineveo?
I'm mainly concerned with ease of use, possibly using something like Hulu, and if there's weird framerate jank due to mismatch between Vive/Video sources. Whichever one handles those best, really.

Has Cineveo been updated recently? As far as I know it never got updated past 0.8 Oculus SDK, so I don't even know if it supports Vive.

BIGWORM

So, I got the order email from HTC Thursday night when I hit the button, but now I'm logging in and it says invalid order number? I've tried using the email and last 5 digits of my credit card, also the order number and password, and nothing? Sorta scared...

Tried the Vive for the first time last night and it was nothing short of magical. Words just can't express. Let me put it this way, I am almost 30, have been gaming my whole life and my wife was having so much fun watching me because she said I was acting like a kid again.

Setup was easy and I ended up using some very nice storage foam as vibration absorbers for my base station mounts. I just cut it to size and put it between the wall and the mount. I have zero issues with tracking or wobbling and I didn't even realize till this morning that I forgot to take the film off the lighthouses! I had left them on knowingly till after installation because I didn't want them to get scratched but I ended up going to the store to get an DVI to HDMI adaptor and I totally forgot about it when I got back. :p

So, with my family huddled up to the monitor to watch what I was seeing and after sitting inside the Steam VR hub for a while and getting used to the headset, making adjustments and having my jaw drop when I finally looked up I finally fired up some demoes.

I started with TheBlue Encounter and even having seen the vid and reactions to it dozens of times before... it got me. The sense of presence and scale is just... breathtaking. The feeling of uneasiness that the whale gives you is wild. I instinctively backed up so that it didn't knock me over even though I knew it couldn't. At one point my wife splashed some water on me and it had the strangest effect of immersing me even more. I was flabbergasted. I said to her that normally I would think something like that during a movie would be a corny gimmick but here it actually worked. Just wow.

Next was the Lab. I only played 3 of the demoes last night. Robot repair, the archery one, and the postcards... Let me tell you, those postcards blew my friggin mind. Especially Vesper Peak. As a climber myself the sense of presence and scale was incredible. Oh, and the dog! That dog is so well done it gets me so freaking excited for the potential for pet centric games. I was constantly interacting with it like it was a real flipping dog! My brain was just so convinced. About a minute in I remembered the thing with TheBlue and the water and I jokingly said, "If you want, point the fan at me and I'll be really immersed!" Well she did and it was the same as the Blue where it really did increase the immersion. I'm definitely going to try this with more things if I can.

That's all I got to do because my non-gamer wife was begging for a turn. She tried The Blue first but did the reef instead of the encounter. It was amazing to see her so blown away. She even mentioned that it was strange how her real life phobia of fish was translating so well to this. She was so consumed with messing with the fauna that when the jellyfish rolled in she didn't see them at first and when she turned around she gasped out loud because they were almost upon her. She actually got down on the floor to avoid them lol. She had this look of unease and I could hear it in her voice as well. She finally tried to touch one and she said that every time she did her arm felt warm like it was stinging her. Amazing.

Then she wanted to try something more interactive so I let her try out job simulator even before I got to! She had this amazing grin on her face the whole time. She did the gas station job and 2 minutes in she said, "You know those really cool vivid dreams where you are in control and you just do whatever you want? Well, this is that." She then proceeded to make a huge mess. :D We all had lots of fun telling her what to do and helping her figure stuff out. By the end she thought that she had spent 5 minutes in it but it had actually been half an hour!

Then I fired up the photogrammetry postcard for her and she really liked that as well. Seeing her play with a dog that isn't really there is really funny. What's more is that when I was doing the same postcard she was laughing at me for not walking out over the edge when I had room to. I told her just wait till you are here and you will see what I mean.
Well, she couldn't bring herself to do it either lol.

By the end she was totally and completely sold. She was even thinking of ways to find more space for VR!

I'll be trying more games today. Between SPT, Audio Shield and Vanishing Realms which should I buy first?

Overall a fantastic experience and totally worth it so far. Roomscale VR is here to stay. I'm not even worried about it anymore. Now, to figure out an excuse for getting all of my family over here at once to demo it to them without ruining the surprise!

deadfolk

So, I got the order email from HTC Thursday night when I hit the button, but now I'm logging in and it says invalid order number? I've tried using the email and last 5 digits of my credit card, also the order number and password, and nothing? Sorta scared...

Did you get an Order Confirmation email? I could not look my order up until I got that, and it was a day or two coming. To be clear, it's a separate email from the Order Submitted one you get straight away.

At least that's how it worked for me - I think it varies between regions. I'm in EU.

mingus

Alright bros, enough of this friendly shit.

JRGyX2e.png

Someone come at me.

6xveDuC.jpg

sup

BIGWORM

Did you get an Order Confirmation email? I could not look my order up until I got that, and it was a day or two coming. To be clear, it's a separate email from the Order Submitted one you get straight away.

At least that's how it worked for me - I think it varies between regions. I'm in EU.

I got an Order Confirmation Email. I've already sent an email to them and I've tried calling their 888 number but it doesn't ring. I'm not sure what's going on right now...

Jams775

I was born for VR!

Just played an hour of Windlands with expert controls and didn't even get sick! Once you get used to the controls the game is really really fun (though I wish there was more to do than collect stuff). My legs hurt though from trying to warbling but keeping my balance.

Krejlooc was right in that Jeff Gerstmann didn't do it justice on their launch stream.

I ordered my Vive on the 6th of April. Am I going to get the three free games?

It said about them on the site the day I ordered, but then I was just reading that they were for preorders only and now I'm confused. I will be gutted if I don't get them.

Qassim

I ordered my Vive on the 6th of April. Am I going to get the three free games?

It said about them on the site the day I ordered, but then I was just reading that they were for preorders only and now I'm confused. I will be gutted if I don't get them.

They're still saying they're part of new orders right now, so yeah, there doesn't seem to be any reason why you won't get them too.

BIGWORM

So I got a hold of customer service over the phone. They confirmed my order number, which is good. They chucked it up to be "a glitch" that the website wasn't showing my order in order history and I wasn't able to check up on it. I had them cancel the order for and reordered it with PayPal as a payment option so it would hit my card immediately, sorta like a RonCo 'set it and forget it' kind of deal. Super excited for this to come through. I haven't been this excited for a piece of tech in quite some while. =)

IMACOMPUTA

Anybody want to help me brainstorm?
Every single day I've tried using my Vive before 8pm I have tracking issues.
After 8 its worked 100% of the time flawlessly every single day.
It seems to coincide with the sun going down. I can't think of any reason this would matter in my basement with the window covered.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

It seems to coincide with the sun going down. I can't think of any reason this would matter in my basement with the window covered.

Your Vive is a nightwalker bro.

I'm sorry man. I'll give it a good think.

Edit: It would help narrow down things a lot bro if you could take it to a friends and try it on their computer. Or even take your computer and try it outside of your house. Process of elimination and all that.

honestly with out a picture(s) its a crzpshoot.

Kevin

Has anyone tried Mind: Path to Thalamus Enhanced Edition on Vive? Seems to have full support including Roomscale and looks neat and yet I haven't seen anyone mention playing it.

Could you, in theory, have the Blu loop and just lay on the floor? After seeing it in person during the quick demo at gamestop I would totally like to just chill there all sprawled out on the floor.

Could you, in theory, have the Blu loop and just lay on the floor? After seeing it in person during the quick demo at gamestop I would totally like to just chill there all sprawled out on the floor.

Yeah you just have to unlock it first. I think that just means playing through them a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom