• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added a bunch of games to my wishlist, now Steam is sending me mails every 5 minutes that something new came out. I wanna play em all now!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Now to see how many meltdowns the GB stream will elicit from people who already have their money down on a headset.

Because i'm thinking impressions will be rather similar to the impressions of Oculus Rift. Here's hoping room-scale VR is a big leap.

Krejlooc

Banned
The Lab is out

I've been downloading and installing everything to my PC for the past few days so that when the Vive arrives tomorrow, I can plug it in and immediately be ready.

Now to see how many meltdowns the GB stream will elicit from people who already have their money down on a headset.

Because i'm thinking impressions will be rather similar to the impressions of Oculus Rift. Here's hoping room-scale VR is a big leap.

I think one of their biggest complains was that the Rift games can be played just fine on a normal screen, the roomscale Vive games clearly cannot. So that's at least something. Now let's hope they actually enjoy playing those

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The Lab is out

I've been downloading and installing everything to my PC for the past few days so that when the Vive arrives tomorrow, I can plug it in and immediately be ready.

Yeah, me too. As soon as I get an e-mail for a game on my wishlist I go get it. I guess it keeps me busy until the Vive comes.

Zeknurn

The SteamVR page is up and it's pretty slick.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamvr

Full announcement
We are excited to announce the Vive by HTC is launching today along with over 50 titles on Steam including Valve's The Lab.

We have an overview of VR on Steam available here www.steamvr.com going into more detail.

The videos featured on the page use mixed reality to help show what the games are like in VR. A big thanks to Colin Northway from Northway Games northwaygames.com who popularized this method of demonstrating VR. We now support this method in our Unity plugin www.assetstore.unity3d.com and you can find more info in this post. It is a great way to show your game and how players interact with your worlds.

We also want to give a shout out to Alex Schwartz from Owlchemy Labs owlchemylabs.com who has been a giant resource to developers everywhere this past year.

And thanks to all the developers working on Virtual Reality to help make this day happen. We look forward to sharing all of your work with the world.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The Gallery: Episode 1 is going for $30 on Steam. Heard it's the killer app for the Vive right now, but damn that's steep for one episode.

is that 30 for just one episode so all 4 will be 120? or 30 for 1 episode..but other episodes are included in the price when they're done?

Krejlooc

Banned
is that 30 for just one episode so all 4 will be 120? or 30 for 1 episode..but other episodes are included in the price when they're done?

Just episode 1, and it's pretty short at about 2 hours.

Don't think of it like a game, think of it more like an interactive VR experience. There is no combat. It's really a new type of thing.

I've paid more than that to go watch hour and a half long movies at the theater before.

Durante

I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, despite checking what feels like every 10 seconds :/

On the other hand, this arrived today:
rifti4qlm.png
I never even got any information at all about that right until it was here. It's nice too I guess.

I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, despite checking what feels like every 10 seconds :/

I never even got any information at all about that right until it was here. It's nice too I guess.

That's super weird. I wonder how many people will have it show up out of nowhere like that? Were you even charged yet?

Krejlooc

Banned

This would actually feel kind of bad for me, because no way would I miss all the launch vive coverage to play with CV1. I'm going to be glued to my TV watching the giant bomb stream for the next 10 hours.

jaypah

First rustled jimmies, now this? Man, you're really invested today huh? :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lol wow job Simulator is more than free

39.99 ;-; omfg

if everyone gets it for free, I don't know why it even has a price.

but - if I was a dev and making a launch game for a new platform, and one of the more well known from previews, I'd be very tempted to make some money off people looking for things to try on their new $800 toy.

prices will settle down but I don't blame devs for trying to make some decent money off this launch.

Hoo-doo

Banned
First rustled jimmies, now this? Man, you're really invested today huh? :p

It's actually the other way around. I'm extremely interested in the room-scale stuff, but not invested in the slightest.

I'm just happy to get a real unfiltered look at it all for eight straight hours. No PR fluff or hyperbolic writeups. And if last week's stream is anything to go by, some people will react poorly to that kind of exposure.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The hold on my debit card disappeared. I can't believe the way they're handling this. You'd think a company as large as HTC would have thought this stuff through a bit better.

Ordered and email confirmed at :02. For so much information to still be in the air is just absurd.

Time to watch the GB stream.

Qassim

So annoying that UK PayPal shipments have gone out but no CC shipments for EU (from what I can tell) have gone out at all. So disappointing, hopefully it goes out today..

Wallach

Nothing unexpected here, I think VR is off to a good start. This bit from the Ars review:

There’s still a level of abstraction with the Vive controllers, however, because keeping a hold on them means keeping your hand wrapped around the light but sturdy plastic constantly. This means you can’t really comfortably point, flex your fingers, or make gestures like an open palm in Vive space as you would with an unencumbered hand.

Instead, you often use the Vive’s limited set of buttons to simulate the natural motion of your fingers and palms. You might squeeze a pleasantly squishy analog index finger trigger to activate a “grabber” on the end of a stick or squeeze two “grip buttons” between your fingers and palm to pick up a virtual object. A large, clickable thumbpad allows for more fine-grained controls in floating menus, or it can simply act as a “thumbs up” detector. All in all, using the Vive controller feels like holding a tiny, prosthetic hand in your own hand and then using that fake hand to poke and grab at the virtual world without really feeling it (subtle controller vibrations notwithstanding).

Is something I've talked about with some other developers. It's really my only meaningful point of contention with the Vive. Such as it is with the first generation of VR I guess. It works well in their favor for launch considering Oculus couldn't produce their motion controllers in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom