• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Space Pirate Trainer (Early Access) - $15
The Gallery: Episode 1 - $30
CDF Starfighter VR (Early Access) - $25
Audioshield - $18
Modbox (Early Access) - $13.50
The Blu - $10
Vanishing Realms (Early Access) - $20

Durante

That's super weird. I wonder how many people will have it show up out of nowhere like that? Were you even charged yet?
I wasn't charged for the Rift, but I also won't be charged for the Rift ;)
(If I was charged for the Rift I likely wouldn't be getting one)

This would actually feel kind of bad for me, because no way would I miss all the launch vive coverage to play with CV1. I'm going to be glued to my TV watching the giant bomb stream for the next 10 hours.
That's actually not an issue for me, I never watch other people play games (unless it's a speedrun).

Still, I'd much rather get a shipping confirmation for the Vive than the actual physical CV1!

P44

I am dealing with some tough life decisions.

My roommate just told me she wanted to move out at the end of April...trying to decide if I want to re-rent the room or turn it into my VR room!

cmon son

we know the real answer here

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation, despite checking what feels like every 10 seconds :/

On the other hand, this arrived today:

I never even got any information at all about that right until it was here. It's nice too I guess.

They figured the DK1 kickstarters would enjoy reminiscing about when their DK1s turned up without any tracking info :)

Dineren

Banned
I have a feeling the Giant Bomb stream is just going to make me miserable. I'll spend all day constantly checking my email for some kind of shipping information. Surely since it is my birthday Oculus or HTC will have pity and send me something!

jaypah

It's actually the other way around. I'm extremely interested in the room-scale stuff, but not invested in the slightest.

I'm just happy to get a real unfiltered look at it all for eight straight hours. No PR fluff or hyperbolic writeups. And if last week's stream is anything to go by, some people will react poorly to that kind of exposure.

Which is super weird in 2016. If I learned anything from reviews (in EGM, decades ago) it's that it's an opinion. I enjoyed the last stream and I would still pay top dollar to play Lucky's Tale and Project Cars VR if I didn't already have a DK2. Lol, people are weird.

Nothing unexpected here, I think VR is off to a good start. This bit from the Ars review:

Is something I've talked about with some other developers. It's really my only meaningful point of contention with the Vive. Such as it is with the first generation of VR I guess. It works well in their favor for launch considering Oculus couldn't produce their motion controllers in time.

This is the thing that makes me think I'll keep my Rift and sell my Vive after playing the launch titles for a bit. While I've only played with a Vive for half an hour, the controllers are a bit...prototypey. Touch looks a little better considered as a motion control solution.

Durante

I just had a look at the official SteamVR page.

Valve honestly did a much better job marketing this thing than I would have expected of them. Those videos are amazing.

Tain

Valve honestly did a much better job marketing this thing than I would have expected of them. Those videos are amazing.

Seriously, I wasn't expecting that. The mixed-mode camera thing is brilliant in practice.

This is the thing that makes me think I'll keep my Rift and sell my Vive after playing the launch titles for a bit. While I've only played with a Vive for half an hour, the controllers are a bit...prototypey. Touch looks a little better considered as a motion control solution.

Where are you to get your vive already?

It's different. If you look at the Steam Page, you'll see that three experiences are included and not just the Whale. It is still unknown how long they last though.

Ok good to know. I'm sure someone will post impressions in here before I get my Vive tomorrow. I'm still planning on play TheBlu as my first ever Vive experience.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am stuck in wait mode. I want one but my 670 GPU is too long in the tooth and I don't want to upgrade it until this year's new GPUs launch.

Mm, as someone who has been merely following VR rather than someone excited about it, what Valve has produced looks 10000x more exciting than anything else I've seen, like Sony's PS VR sizzle reels (which basically tried to deemphasise the headset, but only because it showed just the people in their standard room using it).

What Valve has done - superimposing what the player sees around them - has opened my eyes and I've felt excitement for a new interface paradigm and way to interact with our games in a way I haven't since what Nintendo did with those Wii Remote trailers.

Amazing.

Wollan

How can you not want a HTC Vive after watching those videos. Really, really well done.
Mixed-reality videos is here to stay as the defacto mode to advertise VR content on normal 2D monitors.

Mm, as someone who has been merely following VR rather than someone excited about it, what Valve has produced looks 10000x more exciting than anything else I've seen, including Sony's PS VR sizzle reels (which basically tried to deemphasise the headset, but only because it showed just the people in their standard room using it).

What Valve has done - superimposing what the player sees around them - has opened my eyes and I've felt excitement for a new interface paradigm and way to interact with our games in a way I haven't since what Nintendo did with the Wii. Amazing.

Well sony isnt going to have room scale in the sense if you turn around it can not track your hand.

Arulan

Congratulations to HTC & Valve on launch! We’re excited to confirm #EVEValkyrie is coming to #Vive in 2016.

Well that didnt take long

https://twitter.com/EVEValkyrie/status/717352059171971072

RG0BS1U.gif

Well sony isnt going to have room scale in the sense if you turn around it can not track your hand.

Good point, it's probably not really possible for Sony to market the PS VR like that.

Though Nintendo managed to show some guy hiding behind his couch playing Metroid Prime 3, then leaping across to shoot a space pirate, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic that marketing for the device will be exciting.

Good point, it's probably not really possible for Sony to market the PS VR like that.

Though Nintendo managed to show some guy hiding behind his couch playing Metroid Prime 3, then leaping across to shoot a space pirate, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic that marketing for the device will be exciting.

LOL good point.

SparkTR

Holy shit I'm going to have to buy a Vive. I watched the Oculus stuff and walked away pretty unimpressed, but this stuff seems cool.

Krejlooc

Banned
it took all of 30 minutes before they actually said it on the giant bomb stream:

"This is way better than that oculus stuff."

Does anyone know any racing sims that are supporting Vive? It's gonna be a big part of my decision between Oculus and it but I'm not finding anything really concrete.

I'd prefer a Vive over a Rift but game support seems important at this juncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom