• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im worried about some reviews saying it is not comfortable. This was my #1 biggest issue with my Rift DK2. It would get so hot and heavy on your face I couldnt play for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Some of these prices are a bit crazy.

Horseshoes and hand grenades is $20? It's just a target range, right?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ouch at that "on the day" Eve Valkyrie announcement. Thats a mean right hook to Luckey and co.

it took all of 30 minutes before they actually said it on the giant bomb stream:

"This is way better than that oculus stuff."

I'm almost feeling bad for how badly Oculus is getting bodied with their "launch".

But thats what happens when you launch incomplete without actual VR controls.

Krejlooc

Banned
Does anyone know any racing sims that are supporting Vive? It's gonna be a big part of my decision between Oculus and it but I'm not finding anything really concrete.

I'd prefer a Vive over a Rift but game support seems important at this juncture.

Project Cars will be getting Vive support they've announced. It already has oculus support, so who knows when the Vive Support will come out. But I doubt it'll take that long.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All these 'games' on the giant Bomb stream look boooooring.

its a lab of demos by valve to show how different interactions and game types might work in VR. They aren't meant to be fun games.

Also they've only shown one 'game', the other was just some environments.

Snuggle me and I will explode.

Re: VR marketing videos, it's called Mixed Reality and developers will be able to adopt it:

From the blog:

The videos featured on the page use mixed reality to help show what the games are like in VR. A big thanks to Colin Northway from Northway Games who popularized this method of demonstrating VR. We now support this method in our Unity plugin and you can find more info in this post. It is a great way to show your game and how players interact with your worlds.

https://twitter.com/ColinNorthway
http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/405694031549662100/

Here's an existing thread about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203172

Project Cars will be getting Vive support they've announced. It already has oculus support, so who knows when the Vive Support will come out. But I doubt it'll take that long.

Oh nice, I read Dirt Rally has Rift support already but hopefully people figure out how to make support interchangeable soon.

And I just read DCS has Vive support. That pretty much seals the deal. Now I have to be strong enough to wait for Pascal before upgrading to a VR capable machine.

Krejlooc

Banned
Chronos is not very good at all to be honest with you. Mediocre combat and stupidly frustrating puzzles.

I think a lot of people got hyped up because it is one of the only full, complete games on the rift. Like it's has the content you'd expect out of a normal console retail title, not a work in progress. I can appreciate that, people are going to be flocking towards whatever "full" games there are in early VR because you want something to do.

It's just that the game it is doesn't appeal to me, really. People compare it to Zelda and I just don't see it.

Gurrry

Sure, you can order online. You should still get it in May.

Hmm it looks like theyre sold out on their website, but it says it will have more soon?

Im actually more curious if they sell them on store shelves. But, I could still buy one online if it comes down to it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Actually it seems you can't right now. The pre-order site does not seem to be taking pre-orders for the time being.
Well, you're right. It brings up a sold out page. Shiiiiiit. I was going to order one the end of this week.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Im worried about some reviews saying it is not comfortable. This was my #1 biggest issue with my Rift DK2. It would get so hot and heavy on your face I couldnt play for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.
Honestly, from what I've tried, the PlayStation VR design is far and away the best for comfort...which is disappointing. I really wish Oculus and HTC had taken a similar approach. PSVR basically works like a hat and doesn't put weight on your face in the same way. Very light and comfortable.

The others, though, just strap onto your face and head basically.

so we're two little tech demos in and even Jeff is loving it.

the smiles and genuine intrigue from every moment for the GB crew.

yep, I think they're enjoying themselves already boys.

checks email.....
sleeping.gif
sad.gif
rage.gif

Thanati

I think a lot of people got hyped up because it is one of the only full, complete games on the rift. Like it's has the content you'd expect out of a normal console retail title, not a work in progress. I can appreciate that, people are going to be flocking towards whatever "full" games there are in early VR because you want something to do.

It's just that the game it is doesn't appeal to me, really. People compare it to Zelda and I just don't see it.

I agree completely. But as a game, it's just not very good. They tried to go for the whole 'Dark Souls difficulty' thing but it just fails flat. Sure, the sense of scale and immersion is good, even great in some places, but as a game, it's just, well, it's just bad. Because of this, because of the frustrating elements, it actually pulls you OUT of the experience.

I'd hold off on this game to be honest with you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
it took all of 30 minutes before they actually said it on the giant bomb stream:

"This is way better than that oculus stuff."

I had to just stop watching to head out to work, but after skimming through most of the Oculus stream last week, the last 30 minutes alone were more engaging than the couple hours I spent checking out what Oculus had on offer at launch via Giant Bomb.

You could sense how taciturn the crew was watching and playing the Oculus lineup, whereas here they are just fully into it and seemingly having a great time already, both Jeff playing, as well as Brad coming across far more colorful and emotive about the proceedings on screen.

I am even considering placing an order shortly for a Vive myself based on the little I have seen. Did not at all get that feeling with the Oculus, sadly.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Selfie tennis seems... rough. Also I should go to the GB thread not the vive thread oops.

Mikeside

I know I said I was out and happy to wait....but you know. I wasn't able to hold it in.

So I've messaged Daniel O'Brien and he's making sure my order gets looked into personally.

What a dude. He's dealing with the Twitter mob very well.

Krejlooc

Banned
Selfie tennis seems... rough. Also I should go to the GB thread not the vive thread oops.

All the opinions of Selfie Tennis have been low. It seems like a pretty basic tech demo, not worth the $15.

The game he's playing right now is also a content-light tech demo, but it's supposed to be a lot of fun. It's handled a bit more like an arcade experience for score.

dhonk

All the opinions of Selfie Tennis have been low. It seems like a pretty basic tech demo, not worth the $15.

The game he's playing right now is also a content-light tech demo, but it's supposed to be a lot of fun. It's handled a bit more like an arcade experience for score.

I think selfietennis is really fun, THAT SAID I got a code for free. Take that as you will.

Mikeside

...and I won the bid on a cheap Leap Motion

I think I'm going to get sticky velcro & attach 2 bits to the front of the Vive (to keep face-plate sections separate) and one to the back of the Leap Motion

Can't wait to try out that Leap Motion Orion stuff - would be cool to see a few games support it

I think selfietennis is really fun, THAT SAID I got a code for free. Take that as you will.

Definitely seems like a game that you really have to play until you're proficient before really evaluating. The home run derby game looked like ass.

Space Pirate Trainer is a known quantity as far as must-have games go. No surprise Jeff is enjoying the hell out of it.

Sounds to me like GB flipped stereo in their stream. Anyone else notice this?

They were just talking about this and I thought the positional audio was bad. Put my headphones on backwards and now it's great

TheCrow

Definitely seems like a game that you really have to play until you're proficient before really evaluating. The home run derby game looked like ass.

Space Pirate Trainer is a known quantity as far as must-have games go. No surprise Jeff is enjoying the hell out of it.

Glad Spare Pirate Trainer is well received. Not surprised that theres a lot of bad stuff but at some point you gotta take the bad with the good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know I said I was out and happy to wait....but you know. I wasn't able to hold it in.

So I've messaged Daniel O'Brien and he's making sure my order gets looked into personally.

What a dude. He's dealing with the Twitter mob very well.

for you maybe, if he helps. For others it just looks like he is deflecting. He is saying CC transactions in the UK and globally have shipped, yet *nobody* that used a CC in Europe has had any notification from HTC or any money taken from their bank accounts.

He also says all the orders are done based on time, and no prioritisation for paypal. Which also doesn't make sense as there were lots of paypal transactions processed, and no CC ones.

Gurrry

man im too scared to pull the trigger

800 is alot of cash.. but damn i want to do it.

i think if i saw one on store shelves, id buy it.

Mikeside

for you maybe, if he helps. For others it just looks like he is deflecting. He is saying CC transactions in the UK and globally have shipped, yet *nobody* that used a CC in Europe has had any notification from HTC or any money taken from their bank accounts.

He also says all the orders are done based on time, and no prioritisation for paypal. Which also doesn't make sense as there were lots of paypal transactions processed, and no CC ones.

We'll see on that, I guess

He's made some definite statements, so he's not deflecting - he's either outright lying or he's trying to give better information.

We'll know more by tomorrow morning, I think

T.O.P

Banned
Shouldn't Budget Cuts work as a "Standing" title as well? don't you point to move or something? at least from the trailer

On steam it shows as Room Scale only atm

We'll see on that, I guess

He's made some definite statements, so he's not deflecting - he's either outright lying or he's trying to give better information.

We'll know more by tomorrow morning, I think

I am not sure what people are expecting as it doesnt matter when the charge comes out. They can send it to you and you can have it and the charge can show a week later. As long as they have a preauth that has gone through regardless of dropping or not they can present the receipt and it will go through. Meaning once they have the preauth the money is guaranteed either way credit card or debit card. Even if you have gone over your limit or not enough money it will be paid you will just have to pay it back. That is through VISA, Mastercard, other card etc agreement guidelines. So don't worry if the debit is out or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom