• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

So I let my sister try it yesterday and she said that she saw a red and blue 3d glasses effect on text.

What does that mean?

As the post before me points out, she's probably referring to chromatic aberration which is a side effect of the lenses. It's technically adjusted for in software, but not completely eliminated.

I have pretty much the same space available and I find it way too small. If you count your extend arms in the equation, you end up with barely a meter to move in each direction. I still think 4x4m is golden for a proper rommscale experience.

How? Its not mathematically possible with a 5m cable unless your like 1m tall? Hell from the center of the side of a 3*4m space is pushing it for a normal adult.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are some settings available from the SteamVR control window, the little one that shows green icons for each component. In the settings are some for debugging and warning the player about frame-rate issues. Try playing around with those.

Steamvr has settings for showing a message in vr if your computer is missing frames. If you aren't hitting the framerate then it's probably your gpu. Also try plugging the headset into a usb2 port if it's using usb3

Could it be due to reflective surfaces in the room messing with the Lighthouses? Or perhaps the Lighthouses are wobbling?
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, looks like it could be a number of things. Just got back from the movies so I can't do much troubleshooting tonight. Is there an easy way to tell which if any ports are USB2 vs 3 on my PC?

Did that too. And reinstalled all drivers.

What version of Windows are you using?

The camera stopped working after installing the latest Windows 10 Insider Slow Ring build. I had to reinstall plain old Windows 10 to make it work again.

Edit: And praise Jibbers, Audioshield is fantastic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
poZvztSNp

Well I guess that is the deal, when I get my new card it should hopefully correct the issue..

edit: Yeah I dunno, seems like it actually is something with the tracking. I'm also getting a weird "fan mirage" like it looks in the headset like I have a black ceiling fan? No idea how else to describe it. Will mess with it more tomorrow.

Just tried theBlu out and even with these issues the whale got me pretty good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
poZvztSNp

Well I guess that is the deal, when I get my new card it should hopefully correct the issue..

edit: Yeah I dunno, seems like it actually is something with the tracking. I'm also getting a weird "fan mirage" like it looks in the headset like I have a black ceiling fan? No idea how else to describe it. Will mess with it more tomorrow.

Tried disabling the onboard camera? That can cause issues for quite a few people. First thing I did was to turn it down to 30Hz

Guys...its happening!!!

Someone made Xortex (The Lab spaceship game) into an actual game:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/477170/

That's great. Along with Pool Nation and Home Improvisation it seems like we are getting some more polished games popping up.

And not that I don't love the tech demo stuff as well, but there is no reason why utter shit like "Eclipse --- Defending the motherland" should be allowed on Steam.

winstano

So we've been given a Vive review unit for the week... I thought I'd try running it on a GTX780, with an i7 920 and 8GB RAM to see just how hilariously bad my machine would be...

And it's phenomenal. There has been the odd framerate issue, but nothing that's caused me to be ill. I'm just absolutely amazed that my rig can run the damn thing! We're borrowing a higher spec machine to do some further testing, but... God damn, I've not been this impressed with a piece of tech since the first iPhone came along. Incredible stuff. The controllers are what make it, being able to reach out in the VR Space and grab the physical controllers is simply mind-bending!!

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm also getting a weird "fan mirage" like it looks in the headset like I have a black ceiling fan?

I got that in PCars the other day when I turned up the graphical details too much resulting in image artefacts, especially some weird black thingy above my head. I don't know, in my ignorant technical mind it could be the reprojection struggling because of low framerate.

After the oficial Elite´s Engineers update from yesterday, the text and labels are much better to read. Still not perfect thought, and its impossible to use SS in 2.0x without severe hellish stuttering.

Using a lot of options in medium, Vr quality at max and SS in 1.5x.

Zalusithix

So we've been given a Vive review unit for the week... I thought I'd try running it on a GTX780, with an i7 920 and 8GB RAM to see just how hilariously bad my machine would be...

And it's phenomenal. There has been the odd framerate issue, but nothing that's caused me to be ill. I'm just absolutely amazed that my rig can run the damn thing! We're borrowing a higher spec machine to do some further testing, but... God damn, I've not been this impressed with a piece of tech since the first iPhone came along. Incredible stuff. The controllers are what make it, being able to reach out in the VR Space and grab the physical controllers is simply mind-bending!!

I can't speak for the 780, but the 920 (assuming a healthy OC) handles most of the stuff well enough. It starts to choke a bit when dealing with physics heavy games that do all the calculations on the CPU though. Job Simulator is less than perfect for instance. Still, it's hard to complain when the processor is as old as it is.

thematic

I can't speak for the 780, but the 920 (assuming a healthy OC) handles most of the stuff well enough. It starts to choke a bit when dealing with physics heavy games that do all the calculations on the CPU though. Job Simulator is less than perfect for instance. Still, it's hard to complain when the processor is as old as it is.

i wonder if my 3770k and 750 Ti can do light VR games

One thing I wonder though is why devs arent trying to at least adapt traditional movement to how a real person would move. VR games with traditional movement still feel as if you're floating, which I think is a large factor in people being motion sick. Even though Im pretty immune to motion sickness in VR(framerate drops dont affect me either), I can tell if something feels disorienting. With traditional movement now, it feels as if you're standing in a vehicle due to how floaty the movement is. So when you turn(with your feet, not your head) it feels akin to standing in a moving bus that's currently going into a turn while you are also turning at the same time. Naturally in that situation you would likely fall or at the very least lose your balance, so that feeling of disorientation remains when you do it with traditional controls. If devs would instead make movement a lot more weighty, and make it so that it feels like legs are actually moving rather than it feeling like you're floating, while giving the first person view an actual body(I dont know why in VR of all platforms, devs are still making bodyless first person cameras) it would probably go a long way in adapting traditional controls for VR.
I think what you're asking for is head bob or something like it. Unfortunately that specifically is a huge cause of nausea due to the fact that it's artificial camera movement and that's why all the games with traditional movement go for the floaty effect instead.

As far as the full body stuff goes, I think the problem is it's hard to accurately predict the position of your body (specifically your arm position which would be in your vision a lot) with the data they have access to and the moment the virtual body goes out of sync with your physical one your immersion is broken. Is it broken more than seeing nothing? I don't know. Most devs seem to be side stepping the issue for now, but I've seen some attempting to figure out ways to predict that stuff more accurately with what we have now. I think if more sensors ever becomes a more standard thing in the future, we'll see full bodies more often.

A lot of devs have also said that they don't show elbows/arms because of different body sizes. If your arms are longer than the model's, you'll notice when you expect your hand to go further but can't.

Zalusithix

I think what you're asking for is head bob or something like it. Unfortunately that specifically is a huge cause of nausea due to the fact that it's artificial camera movement and that's why all the games with traditional movement go for the floaty effect instead.

As far as the full body stuff goes, I think the problem is it's hard to accurately predict the position of your body (specifically your arm position which would be in your vision a lot) with the data they have access to and the moment the virtual body goes out of sync with your physical one your immersion is broken. Is it broken more than seeing nothing? I don't know. Most devs seem to be side stepping the issue for now, but I've seen some attempting to figure out ways to predict that stuff more accurately with what we have now. I think if more sensors ever becomes a more standard thing in the future, we'll see full bodies more often.

Yeah, force induced head bob sounds like a nightmare. That's something that can bother people in traditional gaming, let alone in VR.

As for the body, devs are using IK to model where the body "should" be given the ridiculously low 3 data points they have to work with. Lots of guesswork though and leeway for error. Most are erring on the side of invisible bodies from the player's perspective because of this, but Raw Data I believe was going to give an option between an invisible, partially visible, and totally visible body. Apparently some find having a body more immersive, even with all the positional faults.

Personally, going by cockpit sims, I find a body annoying. It's not exactly like mine. It doesn't fool me to thinking it is mine. It pulls me out of the experience when I see it because I start to get that marionette feeling where I'm not there, but controlling somebody else that is. Once we can fully track all body points and accurately construct the skeleton and movements, I'm sure I'll be fine with a virtual body. For now though... nope.

pj

Banned
poZvztSNp

I get that message sometimes and I have a 5820k and 980ti. I think it pops a little too aggressively.

Zalusithix

I get that message sometimes and I have a 5820k and 980ti. I think it pops a little too aggressively.

What are you running the 5820 at? I don't really think many of these games are optimized for multi core to that extent, and the default single threaded performance of the 5820 isn't as good as the higher clocked quad cores.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm finding short Blink porting in Vanishing realms doesn't cause disorientation for me, and doesn't make me feel like i'm skipping past everything to much.

I just wish I could hold down on the top of the left touch pad and it would automatically repeat port in the direction I'm looking but at a slowish but steady pace and constant distance of about one walking pace (2 feet ish)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
A lot of devs have also said that they don't show elbows/arms because of different body sizes. If your arms are longer than the model's, you'll notice when you expect your hand to go further but can't.

There is that and then there is the problem of doing arm IK when you don't have a shoulder sensor.

As a dev, I want full Mocap suits ASAP :p. As a player I don't want to have to put on a mocap suit to play games in VR.

I don't know how VR devices will solve this in the future. At the very least there needs to be a "belt" included with a sensor that tracks the direction of the pelvis. We need a constant sensor badly for doing a lot of math related stuff.

I'm finding short Blink porting in Vanishing realms doesn't cause disorientation for me, and doesn't make me feel like i'm skipping past everything to much.

I just wish I could hold down on the top of the left touch pad and it would automatically repeat port in the direction I'm looking but at a slowish but steady pace and constant distance of about one walking pace (2 feet ish)

My directional teleportation works in that way (its WASD or Joystick Teleportation that allows you to strafe and go backwards). I might make a video showcasing it this afternoon. It works really well!

Crispy75

My intuitive thought is that accurate hand/head/foot tracking is enough to smooth out kinect-like markerless tracking for the rest of the body. IK can give you the possible positions of the limbs and the kinect can say "it's this one, more or less"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tried disabling the onboard camera? That can cause issues for quite a few people. First thing I did was to turn it down to 30Hz
Thanks, that's another thing to try... the camera functionality itself is pretty sweet.

This is promising, or alternatively bad news, in that it doesn't sound like my jitter issue is really due to the strength of my rig.

I know just what you mean though. It's amazing how well the controllers are tracked, I can't get over how you can turn them over and watch the analog squeezing of the triggers in real-time- totally unnecessary but the kind of touch that really makes it work.

Most incredible to me is that I if set my controllers down on the futon in the room, something I will be doing often, which is outside my chaperone play area, they are just... there. They sit there, "floating" on the seat, still being tracked. I look around (with the headset on) when I want to pick them up and I just see them, physical objects I left lying on a futon, represented in a virtual world. I reach out and pick them up and I'm doing so in both virtual and actual reality. It's really something.
Good to know. The actual performance itself now that you mention it, outside of this jitter stuff, has seemed pretty solid.
I got that in PCars the other day when I turned up the graphical details too much resulting in image artefacts, especially some weird black thingy above my head. I don't know, in my ignorant technical mind it could be the reprojection struggling because of low framerate.
Yeah, a weird black thingee above my head describes it really well, lol.

Lots to fiddle with tonight but hopefully I can solve it and try some actual games.

datamage

After the oficial Elite´s Engineers update from yesterday, the text and labels are much better to read. Still not perfect thought, and its impossible to use SS in 2.0x without severe hellish stuttering.

Your specs?

I've been curious about this game and I may just pull the trigger.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My intuitive thought is that accurate hand/head/foot tracking is enough to smooth out kinect-like markerless tracking for the rest of the body. IK can give you the possible positions of the limbs and the kinect can say "it's this one, more or less"

You need one none rotational variable as a constant for a lot of stuff. The part of your body that can rotate the least is the pelvis. Thus you need a pelvis sensor that can constantly tell you which direction the torso is facing.

With a pelvis sensor you can more accurately tell a 3d body mesh where the player is and what direction they are facing. Then you can let the headset tell the body where the head is looking and if the player is leaning off of axis.

Paganmoon

4790k@4.8ghz + 980ti.

It is worth even without VR, with VR is the definitive Space sim experience.

Too bad it's a bitch to set up with a controller. They really should have a few standard profiles there by default. I've spent more time trying to get my controls right than actually play the game :(

A VR boxing game would be good
Something meaty and visceral but strictly sparring with two controllers against someone else, or an AI
Or maybe not maybe that's why there isn't one.

4.8 holy balls.

Wait till you see the small cooler above it.

Too bad it's a bitch to set up with a controller. They really should have a few standard profiles there by default. I've spent more time trying to get my controls right than actually play the game :(

I had really not a problem with the X-52, just plug and play (and ofc 1 month of memorising all the 348583 keys, options and functions necessary just for landing and manuvering), but for trading i use only the mouse + kb.

Paganmoon

I had really not a problem with the X-52, just plug and play (and ofc 1 month of memorising all the 348583 keys, options and functions necessary just for landing and manuvering), but for trading i use only the mouse + kb.

Yeah, but that's a Joystick, I'm trying to play the game with my Dualshock 4 :)

Zalusithix

As a dev, I want full Mocap suits ASAP :p. As a player I don't want to have to put on a mocap suit to play games in VR.

I don't know how VR devices will solve this in the future. At the very least there needs to be a "belt" included with a sensor that tracks the direction of the pelvis. We need a constant sensor badly for doing a lot of math related stuff.

Theoretically with an array of leap motion type sensors encircling both a headset and a belt, combined with positional tracking of both of them, you could map the entire body without any need for a full tracking suit or tons of individual sensors. The feet might end up outside of the effective range of the belt though. Then there's the issue that overweight people would cause some level of occlusion via their gut. =P It'd also be rather computationally expensive with so many camera based depth arrays being merged into one skeleton. Then there's the cost... Still, theoretically possible.

I'm not sure how else you'd get an entire body accurately tracked without a suit or lots of individual sensors. Any external depth mapping solution would seemingly need an obscene resolution to create an accurate map at the distances needed for room scale.

Tain

Couldn't get into Jeeboman. Massive health meters and a lot of nonsense going on, not my pace. Pretty cool core mechanics though.

Wallach

I spent a bunch of time this morning continuing to work on my control profile with my CH setup. There's definitely a lot to sort out on that front. I haven't done anything of importance in that game yet because I keep getting sidetracked being amazed in the training missions floating by some asteroids or looking at my ship. Shit is crazy.

Hawk, we'll have to try and jump into BigScreen or AltSpace sometime, if you get your setup stuff sorted out. I got 'em set up at home now. Being around other actual people in VR is mega weird and awesome. Let me know if you wanna try it.

There is that and then there is the problem of doing arm IK when you don't have a shoulder sensor.

I'm curious if regular cameras are the most frictionless way to go for it in the future. Software has come a long way being able to determine depth and position from even a single camera and I've seen some impressive demo stuff from the PS4's 3D camera as well. No IR lasers needed. I could see a point down the line where the lighthouses also include a camera which, in concert with the controllers and headset, could give you the rest of the data you needed to do pretty accurate body tracking.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
My directional teleportation works in that way (its WASD or Joystick Teleportation that allows you to strafe and go backwards). I might make a video showcasing it this afternoon. It works really well!

cool! i'll definitely check it out once its posted

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawk, we'll have to try and jump into BigScreen or AltSpace sometime, if you get your setup stuff sorted out. I got 'em set up at home now. Being around other actual people in VR is mega weird and awesome. Let me know if you wanna try it.
Sounds good. What are they actually for, are they just like VR chat/hangout apps?

Wallach

Sounds good. What are they actually for, are they just like VR chat/hangout apps?

That's kind of what AltSpace is. There are different rooms for different purposes like a big maze, some game rooms, YouTube rooms, whatever. They had some live comedy show there yesterday I guess.

BigScreen is more like a VR apartment mixed with Virtual Desktop. You can have a bunch of people connected to the same space, and you can see the desktop screen of each person, so you can either like all sit around and use the same screen (made much larger for everyone) or just use your own screens and talk.

Onemic

What GPU do you have? Is there still a lot of shimmering and blurriness when looking out into space?

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member

An easy solution would be stretch your arms with the controllers (point A) and then touch your shoulders with the controllers (point B). They can also be more precise and with one arm stretched and with a controller touch the hand (point A), elbow (point C), and shoulder (point B). The game should adjust the length of the arms based on that.

winstano

Most incredible to me is that I if set my controllers down on the futon in the room, something I will be doing often, which is outside my chaperone play area, they are just... there. They sit there, "floating" on the seat, still being tracked. I look around (with the headset on) when I want to pick them up and I just see them, physical objects I left lying on a futon, represented in a virtual world. I reach out and pick them up and I'm doing so in both virtual and actual reality. It's really something.

This has been the biggest "Holy shit" moment for the people who've used the Vive so far. The controllers being "there" is just phenomenal. The first time I gave it to a friend and held them out in front of him, he just started laughing and didn't stop for a good minute or 2. It's ridiculous

Zalusithix

An easy solution would be stretch your arms with the controllers (point A) and then touch your shoulders with the controllers (point B). They can also be more precise and with one arm stretched and with a controller touch the hand (point A), elbow (point C), and shoulder (point B). The game should adjust the length of the arms based on that.

The far bigger issue is that you have no true idea of what the heck the arms are doing even with perfect dimensions. You only know the position of an object in the hand. That's not enough information to extrapolate the exact arm position. You can get a pose that can reasonably be had by a human for that hand position in relation to the head, but you can't get the pose that the user is making. Perfect dimensions with a fudged pose isn't really any better than fudged dimensions with a fudged pose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom