• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
Speaking of buying VR games.....

I just got a $50 steam card. What should I get?

Wishlist
Cyberpong VR
Holoball
Hover Junkers
Pool Nation VR (Soon enough)
Subnautica
Vanishing Realms
(Other suggestions welcome, though I'm probably not gonna mess with Oculus/Revive junk atm, even though there are a few things I'd like to try)

Own
Audioshield
Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
Space Pirate Trainer
Vive Bundle (Obviously)
Vanishing Realms is the most complete VR adventure title available right now if that makes sense. It's also fun so I highly recommend it.

Onemic

The Gallery is actually $30. I seem to remember them releasing it initially at $40, but I could be wrong...

$39 CDN

Even if it was $30 here though, it would still be a huge ripoff to me since theres no replayability and I'd need to buy multiple episodes. It should be 40 bucks for the entire season imo

Saganator

Holy shit, my VIVE shipped way sooner than expected. I ordered on the 8th, expecting it in June. Ah, it's coming tomorrow, I'm so unprepared! I haven't even been paying attention to my email, thankfully FedEx sent me a text about having to sign for a package tomorrow.

BrettWeir

My families go to game, out of all the ones I own, is Audioshield. It's so damn fun. It's pretty crazy to try random songs. The most difficult, and surprising one so far is Boys of Summer - Don Henley. Who would have expected that??

MaDKaT

@SmiteOfHand

Holoball - if you have the space. 2x2 is ok, bigger is better. I dont have any issues at 2.5x2.5

also
A-10 and Jebooman

Onemic

Wishlist
Cyberpong VR
Holoball
Hover Junkers
Subnautica
Vanishing Realms
(Other suggestions welcome, though I'm probably not gonna mess with Oculus/Revive junk atm, even though there are a few things I'd like to try)

Own
Audioshield
Space Pirate Trainer
Vive Bundle (Obviously)

Subnautica doesnt support the Vive. Id totally buy it if it did.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Wishlist
Cyberpong VR
Holoball
Hover Junkers
Subnautica
Vanishing Realms

Own
Audioshield
Space Pirate Trainer
Vive Bundle (Obviously)

Holoball is fantastic, but you need a pretty big space to play it in. I almost broke my arm and destroyed a controller trying to play it in my 1.5x2 living room space.

@SmiteOfHand

Holoball - if you have the space. 2x2 is ok, bigger is better. I dont have any issues at 2.5x2.5

also
A-10 and Jebooman

I've only tried the demo of Jeeboman, but it was definitely solid enough to warrant a purchase the next time I pick up a few games.

Everyone should at least give the demo a try and see what they think of it.

I already have A-10 though and it's really good, I highly recommend it to people that enjoy SPT style games.

Also can't go wrong with Holopoint as that game is really captivating when you get into the groove of things.

A-10 and Holopoint are the two games I've been playing most as of late and they never seem to get old :D

The Gallery looks really interesting, but I refuse to pay $40 for a game that only has an hour worth of content with no replayability. And it doenst come bundled with all the episodes, but instead I have to buy each one individually for (presumably) $40? FOH.

Vanashing realms is only 22 bucks though,(Still too expensive, but whatever) with more content planned since it's EA, so I had no problem picking that up
They've at least give on record to say subsequent episodes will be cheaper.

Hrrm. Okay, help me out folks...

These bars seem to have dropped off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008937EIG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm looking for something I can attach the clamps from the OP (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5M39AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20) to, since they're really reasonably priced.

But I'd really like something white, black or silver... or at least not neon yellow or green. Any suggestions?

Look for floor to ceiling tension rods. I got some that were made for hanging indoor plants.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Look for floor to ceiling tension rods. I got some that were made for hanging indoor plants.
Ya, the ones you mentioned are the ones I linked to, they're unavailable on Amazon now. :'(

I'm also thinking I really ought to give my low-tech mounting options a shot too, if there's any chance I don't need them tilted... it can't hurt to try, so I should wait before buying extra hardware just yet.

I do need to know how long the power cords coming from the lightboxes are though, that will be key. Anyone happen to know?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I just put my pods at one meter height on my desk and table behind me, and it works wonders.

And I finally played Space Pirate. So damn good!

Onemic

Ya, the ones you mentioned are the ones I linked to, they're unavailable on Amazon now. :'(

I'm also thinking I really ought to give my low-tech mounting options a shot too, if there's any chance I don't need them tilted... it can't hurt to try, so I should wait before buying extra hardware just yet.

I do need to know how long the power cords coming from the lightboxes are though, that will be key. Anyone happen to know?

Not that long unfortunately. If you cant mount next to an outlet, you should make sure you get some extension cables.

d00d3n

From the OT:

This is simply the best solution there is:

2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5M39AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How this works is the support rod extends to the ceiling and holds itself in place. Then you put the pipe grips on them. The pipe grips have the threads to hold the lighthouse.

Did anyone do this exact build and take some photos of it? Preferably with some setup to deal with cables as well. I think I understand, but it would be nice to see it pictured. I ordered my HTC Vive yesterday, so I am in full planning mode to make my VR corner (sadly no room ... I live in a one room apartment ... :( ) happen.

Onemic

From the OT:

Did anyone do this exact build and take some photos of it? Preferably with some setup to deal with cables as well. I think I understand, but it would be nice to see it pictured. I ordered my HTC Vive yesterday, so I am in full planning mode to make my VR corner (sadly no room ... I live in a one room apartment ... :( ) happen.

I dont have any pictures but it's extremely easy to setup. Just extend the rod to your ceiling and you've done half of the work. Then just attach the clamp to the rod and the lighthouse to the clamp and you're done.

Zalusithix

From the OT:

Look at Despera's post. While not necessarily the exact same gear, it's certainly the same concept.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Look at Despera's post. While not necessarily the exact same gear, it's certainly the same concept.
See, that looks so great except for the bright yellow rods >_< Really helpful pic though, the power cords are way longer than I expected, looks like they're at least 6ft, awesome.

hmmm. They all seem to be yellow, red, or light blue. I guess it makes sense for contractors working in the dark and such. Tension rods of adequate length are so much more expensive.

Bleh I have anchors, maybe I'll just drill holes in the wall and use the mounts.
They are 9 feet

You can extend them with something like this (2.1 x 5.5mm DC barrel plug) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDTZ26G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Wait, any reason you can't extend them using a standard power extension cord?

jotun?

It does come with drywall anchors, but they seemed very poorly designed, better to use something else

No reason, just that the DC extensions might be more elegant for some situations like running them up and around walls

Zalusithix

Absolutely no reason other than it would be cleaner looking without the wall wart sitting in the middle of nowhere. But with neon contractor poles, that's the least of your worries visually. ;)

Edit: Beaten.

Zalusithix

....white? Wow no thanks. Those are gonna get grossss.

If you wanted something similar that isn't white, you can find grey closed cell silicone foam sheets with adhesive backing on Amazon. Put velcro fabric on the backing, and cut to shape using the existing pad as a template. Being closed cell, it would wipe clean quite easily, but it'd also be less breathable than the standard foam.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
People have been using sleep masks and tracing around the existing foam as a template for a quick and easy equivalent.

bj00rn_

Banned
For those who are also interested in less interactive experiences I can recommend to check out "Titans of Space", it's somewhat like an educational experience and shows off some of the scale in our solar system. It's very well made actually, and has some more content compared to the DK1/DK2 version that I tried a while back. I was surprised how much clearer it looked in the Vive than in the DK2 version..

I also downloaded "Surge". This is a very short and free demo which somewhat reminds me of those demos from the scene back in the days, but now in VR..

Strangely enough I kinda enjoyed watching lots of old vintage 3D photos through the "Vintage 3D" app. I didn't know they took that many 3D photos from back then, some of them are even from the 19th century..

Anyway, how the hell did they manage to make theBlue so detailed while so solid, smooth and non-shimmery at the same time.. Some experiences in VR is like a shimmery nightmare. Any technical explanation for this..?

Onemic

For those who are also interested in less interactive experiences I can recommend to check out "Titans of Space", it's somewhat like an educational experience and shows off some of the scale in our solar system. It's very well made actually, and has some more content compared to the DK1/DK2 version that I tried a while back. I was surprised how much clearer it looked in the Vive than in the DK2 version..

I also downloaded "Surge". This is a very short and free demo which somewhat reminds me of those demos from the scene back in the days, but now in VR..

Strangely enough I kinda enjoyed watching lots of old vintage 3D photos through the "Vintage 3D" app. I didn't know they took that many 3D photos from back then, some of them are even from the 19th century..

How good is the 3D from the vintage app?

I'll def check out Titans of Space. I really wish there was more space content for VR. Elite is the only good one out there.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Anyway, how the hell did they manage to make theBlue so detailed while so solid, smooth and non-shimmery at the same time.. Some experiences in VR is like a shimmery nightmare. Any technical explanation for this..?

I don't know but your right it looks like a magnitude of 2 higher resolution then most everything else that isn't the lab...it is weird.
for example if you told me theblu renders at 2160x1200 and things like elite and project cars renders at 1280x1024 I wouldn't be surprised.

Dumb question time

You know the lab, where you stand in various real world spots and they have a bit of movement like birds or rain in the lava cave...

Are there any *equal quality* fixed position videos of real places like Times Square or whatever, out there now, filmed with a stereoscopic 360 camera? And if so where do they get listed? (I guess if you move your head in the wrong way the depth perceptions can't work).

Failing that, what's the easiest way to be in, say, the spacex rocket landing 360 video or other YouTube 360 videos and how far short of the lab ones are they? Or how about that Samsung VR cirque du soleil performance. Are they directly available or built for gearvr only..

"The mounts seem fine for the purpose. It is just that the crappy wall anchors have no retainer ring so they just fall in behind the drywall."

Very accurate. Better off picking up a set from your local home depot or equivalent hardware store.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The mounts seem fine for the purpose. It is just that the crappy wall anchors have no retainer ring so they just fall in behind the drywall.
"The mounts seem fine for the purpose. It is just that the crappy wall anchors have no retainer ring so they just fall in behind the drywall."

Very accurate. Better off picking up a set from your local home depot or equivalent hardware store.
Yeah, cool. Thanks. I've got a pack of them from home depot. Will play around with it before deciding if I want to put in holes or go for the tool support rods. Still can't believe it's coming tomorrow.

Wallach

Yeah, cool. Thanks. I've got a pack of them from home depot. Will play around with it before deciding if I want to put in holes or go for the tool support rods. Still can't believe it's coming tomorrow.

Dude. We are gonna have to hang out IN THE VIRTUALS.

kinggroin

Banned
If you all had one to pick, either Holoball or Cyberpong, which would you get?

Tough. Holoball is a purer Pong type game, but Cyberpong has online multiplayer and weapons, it's a little slower playing. I say Holoball, even if Cyberpong has the better presentation IMO.

Also,

AltSpace fun from earlier today

407060_screenshots_20dxzoh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom