• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So, I have mentioned Directional Teleportation a couple times but this is the first video I have made showing it. The method isn't groundbreaking or anything. I just applied WASD principles to teleportation and add a time gate to keep the player from moving around too quickly. In the video, depending on where on the trackpad I touch, I move between 0 and 130cm in any direction, and I can do this every .6 seconds.

I have no idea if that matches the gate of a human but it doesn't feel too fast or too slow to me (more research needed). You can easily set longer distances with longer wait times, or set tiny distances and no wait time (this will give you the 100% smooth movement you saw in my last video).

Collision works no matter where you stand in the playspace by checking before moving (uses a capsule trace,and then a vertical line trace, to find the move to position).

Anyways, here is the video:

https://youtu.be/8jMWLrLuMZM

I happen to like this more than Point and Shoot teleportation because it doesn't feel like cheating in the way teleporation in Vanishing Realms does.

What GPU do you have? Is there still a lot of shimmering and blurriness when looking out into space?

980ti

Yes, shimmering and blurriness, mostly because i cant turn on any AA without degrading even more the text.

It is exactly what they must fix.

But is just fine playable with SS 1.5x (2.0 stutters like no tomorrow)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Everyone needs to see this:

Original Time Crisis and Area 51 Arcade games in VR

I'm not sure what this dude plans to do with his work, but I really hope he releases it in some capacity because this is something that I've always wanted to do in VR

Mame probably.

Id rather someone just make their own versions that port the old ones. (As in their own games)

Though being able to play arcade cabinets in VR is getting us really close to OASIS. :p

Tain

Disagree. I think being able to preserve arcade CRT light gun games convincingly in VR is a worthwhile goal, and I don't think the dudes hooking up emulators to VR like this are the same ones that could or would want to handle the development of an entirely new Time Crisis quality game.

Hell, this is a cool path for emulation in general. Would be a great way to "archive" the physical side of old games.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So, I have mentioned Directional Teleportation a couple times but this is the first video I have made showing it. The method isn't groundbreaking or anything. I just applied WASD principles to teleportation and add a time gate to keep the player from moving around too quickly. In the video, depending on where on the trackpad I touch, I move between 0 and 130cm in any direction, and I can do this every .6 seconds.

I have no idea if that matches the gate of a human but it doesn't feel too fast or too slow to me (more research needed). You can easily set longer distances with longer wait times, or set tiny distances and no wait time (this will give you the 100% smooth movement you saw in my last video).

Collision works no matter where you stand in the playspace by checking before moving (uses a capsule trace,and then a vertical line trace, to find the move to position).

Anyways, here is the video:

https://youtu.be/8jMWLrLuMZM

I happen to like this more than Point and Shoot teleportation because it doesn't feel like cheating in the way teleporation in Vanishing Realms does.

Thats really cool, I wonder if the step time increment couldn't be slider bases on user comfort, so as you increase the slider to the left its more a slow deliberate blink step..in the middle instant teleport like yours is but timed, then full slider on the right where its full on smooth traditional wasd movement and the player can increment up to where they are comfortable with as they get more use to VR but bring it back down a step if they get queezy..

Mame probably.

Id rather someone just make their own versions that port the old ones. (As in their own games)

Though being able to play arcade cabinets in VR is getting us really close to OASIS. :p

I have a feeling we'll get some new games that are inspired by them sooner or later but for now I'd be super psyched to be able to play these games I already love in a new way :D

Disagree. I think being able to preserve arcade CRT light gun games convincingly in VR is a worthwhile goal, and I don't think the dudes hooking up emulators to VR like this are the same ones that could or would want to handle the development of an entirely new Time Crisis quality game.

Hell, this is a cool path for emulation in general. Would be a great way to "archive" the physical side of old games.

The main selling points of doing this for me would be the ability to scale your virtual screen to be as large as you'd like, the added depth/scale that true 3D would bring as well as the precision of Vive/Oculus motion controls.

My current setup for playing these types of games is a projector screen with Wii Remotes that emulate a mouse, but something like this could potentially be way more accurate and easier to pick up and play than having to take out and assemble the screen the way I currently do.

I also really like the idea of leaning/ducking in real life for Time Crisis :p

jotun?

What game would you guys say gives the most bang for the buck right now, in terms of content?

So far I've just played the bundled games and some demos, plus Holopoint. Favorite so far was the Budget Cuts demo. I know Space Pirate Trainer and Audioshield can probably provide the most hours or replayability, but Holopoint is filling that role fine right now, and I'd like something with more meat to it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What game would you guys say gives the most bang for the buck right now, in terms of content?

So far I've just played the bundled games and some demos, plus Holopoint. Favorite so far was the Budget Cuts demo. I know Space Pirate Trainer and Audioshield can probably provide the most hours or replayability, but Holopoint is filling that role fine right now, and I'd like something with more meat to it.
The Lab, heh.

I'm still waiting for Pool Nation VR.

Trouble

Banned
Anyone run into an issue where American Truck Simulator just won't launch in VR? Used to work for me and ETS2 still launches in VR fine. I have the oculus beta and '-openvr' launch argument set.

E: Nuking my config and letting the game regenerate it seems to have fixed it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Vanish Realms has a little bit of a Budget Cuts type feel to it, and I've heard a lot of good things about The Gallery episode 1.

I also really enjoy Omega Agent, which is a little simple like Hollowpoint, but has a mission structure to work through which does a lot to add meat to these more simplistic VR games.

There's also Minecraft, Project CARS, and Elite Dangerous which all translated fairly well to VR.

Maz

After the recent update for audioshield I can no longer use the search function to find songs. The keyboard just doesnt show up, tried deleting and reinstalling, using the 3 different options under the beta tab. I'm stuck using the most popular songs only. Anyone run into this problem?

On a side note I dont notice any difference when messing around with the graphics options ingame either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, this experience would be so perfect if not for this jitter. More stuff to try tomorrow. If it means anything, it doesn't appear to occur at all on the window on my monitor, only inside the headset.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Audioshield is a gem.

My wife played it on hard yesterday, on "Yes sir, I can boogiie". Smiling, laughing, singing. With wide and crazy gestures in rythm. Games can't get better than that.

I love this game.

Had the opportunity to try this yesterday - it's possible I had unreasonably high expectations due to the online hype, but I found it to be only "okay." It felt more like a cool novelty than anything else - definitely not a piece of hardware worth paying $800 for. I can see the potential of the technology, and maybe in the future when some of the issues are ironed out (the "screen door" effect was out in full force)... but as of right now? Count me out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Had the opportunity to try this yesterday - it's possible I had unreasonably high expectations due to the online hype, but I found it to be only "okay." It felt more like a cool novelty than anything else - definitely not a piece of hardware worth paying $800 for. I can see the potential of the technology, and maybe in the future when some of the issues are ironed out (the "screen door" effect was out in full force)... but as of right now? Count me out.
What apps did you try yesterday?

Jimrpg

How's the backlog for ordering these things? How long would I need to wait before ordering? I'd be ordering from Australia if it makes any difference.

tokkun

Damn, this experience would be so perfect if not for this jitter. More stuff to try tomorrow. If it means anything, it doesn't appear to occur at all on the window on my monitor, only inside the headset.

When I see jitter it seems to be a performance issue. It can occur for me when opening or closing an application or in Audioshield when it is loading a song.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When I see jitter it seems to be a performance issue. It can occur for me when opening or closing an application or in Audioshield when it is loading a song.
It actually absolutely does seem to occur in a more pronounced way while loading, like on the loading screen for The Lab.

Damn, I wish I knew if it were my PC performance so I could just stop troubleshooting and live with it til I upgrade, but I know I'm gonna be fussing with stuff for a couple of hours today.

edit: Was able to switch everything around and eliminate the USB 2.0 vs. 3.0 thing. Still happening. gah.

edit again: Seems to vary a ton in how frequently it happens. It's realllllly noticeable when just walking around The Lab. Really murdering my enjoyment of something truly awesome here :(

bj00rn_

Banned
I didn't bother with Elite Dangerous until now because of the talk about it being a graphical mess. But I got a positive surprise yesterday because it actually didn't look that bad at all.. I mean, I played it quite a bit on the DK2, and in the Vive it is better.

However, how the hell am I supposed to navigate the map... OMG what a mindfuck..

I'll try out DCS in VR later this evening, can't wait.. I guess that I'll probably need my MSI 1080 Gaming X card which arrives in about a week ( :) ) though..

In other news: I cleaned my G110 backlit keyboard today.. Washed the keys in soap and all. What a change, it feels brand new now, lol..

Trouble

Banned
I didn't bother with Elite Dangerous until now because of the talk about it being a graphical mess. But I got a positive surprise yesterday because it actually didn't look that bad at all.. I mean, I played it quite a bit on the DK2, and in the Vive it is better.

However, how the hell am I supposed to navigate the map... OMG what a mindfuck..

I'll try out DCS in VR later this evening, can't wait.. I guess that I'll probably need my MSI 1080 Gaming X card which arrives in about a week ( :) ) though..

In other news: I cleaned my G110 backlit keyboard today.. Washed the keys in soap and all. What a change, it feels brand new now, lol..

Where did you even order a non-founders edition card? I haven't seen anywhere taking orders.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

i set the joystick axis to spin left and right and tilt up and down and the throttle on the hotas to zoom in and out.
Hat switch will navigate the menu on the left and system your in's pop up menu..
But for the life of me i can't see how to switch systems that are active..its the last thing I need a mouse for

Animator

Been demoing the Vive to coworkers every day of the week and everybody is in love with it so far. Lab archery is the one they are most impressed with.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Revive was updated yesterday and now GZ3Doom works on Vive!

I'm not seeing where this GZ3Doom vive update is.

But Revive is working exactly as well as it did before the DRM thing, which is good.

has anyone gotten PinballFx2 VR to work with Revive?

I desperately want some good VR pinball

Just tried it out and I get stuck at the initial loading screen.

Just me, the chaperone, and a black void of nothingness with the loading text eternally stuck to my face. It's almost exactly what I imagined hell to be like as a child. An empty jail cell floating in the middle of nowhere. Except this version has the added torture of loading text being burned onto your eyeballs. So at least it has that going for it.

I don't know if that's a widespread problem.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

But Revive is working exactly as well as it did before the DRM thing, which is good.

Just tried it out and I get stuck at the initial loading screen.

Just me, the chaperone, and a black void of nothingness with the loading text eternally stuck to my face. It's almost exactly what I imagined hell to be like as a child. An empty jail cell floating in the middle of nowhere. Except this version has the added torture of loading text being burned onto your eyeballs. So at least it has that going for it.

I don't know if that's a widespread problem.

I guess I should feel better its not just me..but man I really want to play some VR pinball its the one big itch I haven't had a chance to scratch..

bj00rn_

Banned
Where did you even order a non-founders edition card? I haven't seen anywhere taking orders.

Several of the largest online shops here in Norway started taking orders on friday. They got very few cards in the first batch, and I see the dates have moved to June 15-18 now for the next batch..

But I'm not holding my breath, if it actually show up "9 juni 2016" like it says in my receipt it'll be a nice surprise..

i set the joystick axis to spin left and right and tilt up and down and the throttle on the hotas to zoom in and out.
Hat switch will navigate the menu on the left and system your in's pop up menu..
But for the life of me i can't see how to switch systems that are active..its the last thing I need a mouse for

Yeah, I've mapped the map maneuvering ok, but to actually select systems is another matter.. I could do it somewhat in the DK2 with some precision head movement, but in this version it's utterly impossible..

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really liking Technolust. Thus far it's only really walking through cyberpunk environments and playing minigames, but at this stage of VR that's plenty for me.

I think that has the perfect movement scheme for me. Completely free movement, but changing the direction you're facing is limited to 45 degree jumps, and no up or down movement on the sticks at all. That's apparently enough to solve the motion sickness problems I've had with most traditionally controlled first person games. Unfortunately I'm not sure that'd translate very well into more action driven games.

There's also an option to teleport for movement as well, which is good for those that need it.

Paganmoon

I'm really liking Technolust. Thus far it's only really walking through cyberpunk environments and playing minigames, but at this stage of VR that's plenty for me.

I think that has the perfect movement scheme for me. Completely free movement, but changing the direction you're facing is limited to 45 degree jumps, and no up or down movement on the sticks at all. That's apparently enough to solve the motion sickness problems I've had with most traditionally controlled first person games. Unfortunately I'm not sure that'd translate very well into more action driven games.

There's also an option to teleport for movement as well, which is good for those that need it.

Going to have to give technolust a try. VR fits so excellently with Cyberpunk. Man, what I'd give to get a Shadowrun game in VR. It could be short, just like one 20 minute run (with some Matrix combat added).

Despera

Banned
Just finished playing A Chair in a Room. Fucking hell that was intense. Some of the puzzles were obtuse and the physics of handling objects need work, but if this is any indication of what horror games will be like in VR we're in for a treat.

I'm a huge fan of horror games and have been playing them my whole life, but this was the first that managed to make me scream.

Overall I really liked it and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting horror adventure title.

btw, the developer just released a beta ver. that adds teleportation for those with limited space.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/achairinaroom/announcements/detail/590348842703521847

New teleportation system (Any room scale accommodated including ‘Standing’)
Re-worked hand interactions

This is open to anyone who owns the game and is limited to approx. two days from now, after this I’ll will take all of the feedback into consideration for the upcoming 1.1 update

There used to be this arcade game that I think was called Police Trainer. It used a series of cameras above you to track your position on a mat. If someone ported that it would be so awesome.

Gz3doom wasn't updated, revive was. The update is on the page I linked. Once you start gz3doom, you will need to select oculus rift from the 3D options on the display options screen

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
One was Google Tilt Brush. I don't know the names of the other two offhand - one was on the deck of a sunken ship underwater, the other was a shooter where you get attacked by waves of robots.
Wow! I'm kinda shocked you had that impression. Those are some of the best showcase apps.

Seriously, your the first out of maybe a hundred opinions I've seen that wasn't blown away by this. Wonder why you didn't respond to it as well as others have.

jotun?

Those are the games they demo at the Microsoft Store

Really the big huge thing they're all missing is interaction with the environment

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Going to have to give technolust a try. VR fits so excellently with Cyberpunk. Man, what I'd give to get a Shadowrun game in VR. It could be short, just like one 20 minute run (with some Matrix combat added).

Just a note, it's available on steam but still requires revive right now. Official vive support is supposedly being worked on, which I'm guessing would include proper roomscale and vive controller support, if you're willing to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom